Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Oct 2015 at 10:51 AM Last edited by varpunen : 11th Oct 2015 at 10:24 AM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Odd error message when trying to uninstall an object (Solved)
Firstly, yes, I read the trouble shooting page and googled but didn't find anything. Okay, so, I'm facing a bug which I have never encountered before. I'm trying to uninstall a kitchen counter but everytime I get an error message saying: "Linkages prevent the uninstall of this object". What linkages? I don't have this object in use in the game or in any house placed into the bin. I just want to get rid of it because it's broken in a way that it won't hold a sink. I had two of them - with doors and with drawers - and the other one (also broken) uninstalled just fine. Removing the cache files didn't help. I really wouldn't want to empty the whole launcher just because of one item. Has anyone had this problem before?
Advertisement
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#2 Old 6th Oct 2015 at 11:43 AM Last edited by Don_Babilon : 6th Oct 2015 at 11:55 AM.
Is this a custom content counter or is it an item from the Store?
As I am currently doing some research on rogue custom content, may I ask you to try a few different things?

(1)First, make a full backup copy of your current The Sims folder and place it somewhere safe. I'll ask you to play around with several user folder configurations, so it's better to have a backup copy of your current one.

(2) Let the game create a new Sims folder (rename the old one temporarily or move it out of the Electronic Arts folder in Documents and start the Launcher to let the game create a new user folder) and copy the DCCache files from the old one to the new one. If you start the Launcher with the new one, can you uninstall the item now?
(3) If this doesn't work, do the same, but with only either the .dbc (third-party) or .ebc files (Store), depending on from where you got this counter. If you boot up the Launcher with the new one, can you uninstall the item now?

(3) Go back to your old user folder (remove the new one and place the new one back or restore its old name) and remove the following folders from it: SavedSims, Library, InstalledWorlds. When you start the Launcher now, can you uninstall the item?
(4) If you can't, then remove the DCBackup folder, too, and try again.
(5) If this doesn't work either, then remove the Saves folder, too.

What I am trying to find out is whether this counter has perhaps attached itself to Sims and Library files without having been in use.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Oct 2015 at 4:09 PM
Thanks for the responce and sorry, yeah, it's a custom counter I downloaded. I just got home and it's late, so I'll do the testing tomorrow or day after that and see how it goes. I'll let you know if anything works.
Alchemist
#4 Old 7th Oct 2015 at 6:58 PM
If you downloaded it as part of a lot or world, which you installed via Launcher, it will show up as in use regardless of whether you are playing the lot/world or not. The only way to get rid of it would be uninstalling the lot/world.

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#5 Old 8th Oct 2015 at 2:10 PM
No, I was looking for a nice looking kitchens and downloaded it that way. It's too bad that the counters have to be put in through the launcher. I'll have to do some testing this evening.
Alchemist
Original Poster
#6 Old 11th Oct 2015 at 10:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Don_Babilon
(1)First, make a full backup copy of your current The Sims folder and place it somewhere safe. I'll ask you to play around with several user folder configurations, so it's better to have a backup copy of your current one.

(2) Let the game create a new Sims folder (rename the old one temporarily or move it out of the Electronic Arts folder in Documents and start the Launcher to let the game create a new user folder) and copy the DCCache files from the old one to the new one. If you start the Launcher with the new one, can you uninstall the item now?
(3) If this doesn't work, do the same, but with only either the .dbc (third-party) or .ebc files (Store), depending on from where you got this counter. If you boot up the Launcher with the new one, can you uninstall the item now?

(3) Go back to your old user folder (remove the new one and place the new one back or restore its old name) and remove the following folders from it: SavedSims, Library, InstalledWorlds. When you start the Launcher now, can you uninstall the item?
(4) If you can't, then remove the DCBackup folder, too, and try again.
(5) If this doesn't work either, then remove the Saves folder, too.

What I am trying to find out is whether this counter has perhaps attached itself to Sims and Library files without having been in use.

Sorry this took a few days but I've been more busy than I expected. Anyways, I followed your suggestions and what finally helped was the step 5. It seems that the counter had attached itself into the save game without ever being in use even once. All I did was that I placed it once in buy mode and when the sink wouldn't sit right, I took it out without ever going back to play mode in between. So it wasn't a sim file or a lot file but the save game. Thank you so much for your help.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#7 Old 11th Oct 2015 at 5:51 PM
I have to thank you for testing it all. I am still trying to reproduce several ways of how cc can attach itself to things and saves themselves were only just a second thought.