Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Jun 2009 at 8:09 PM Last edited by lobstergirl : 11th Jun 2009 at 4:56 PM. Reason: corrected spelling

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Cant get my downloaded custom content to show up [SOLVED]
All the files I downloaded from The Sims 3 website load right. but all the ones I downloaded from here don't show up in my game. So I right clicked a package and i went to properties and I selected that the files open with The Sims Launcher and still none of my custom content will show up in my game. Can someone help me revert them back to the original program needed to make them work? Or show up like they did before?

Thanks!
Advertisement
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#2 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 1:42 PM
There are 2 or three ways to get content into your game.

Sims3pack content (lots and houses and things from the exchange) can be double clicked for installation. Make sure you know what the different files look like. As we require .sim packages for our sims but the exchange, or other sites will probably just put them in a sims3pack.

.package files are handled differently in sims3. You can either install them manually (make sure your have the resource.cfg and mods folder in your program files) or you can install them with Delphy's new installation tool.

It's all in the Wiki:
http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?...3_Package_Files
http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?...alling_TS3_Sims

The install helper: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=344611

I'm worried that my latest Salvation Army donation will result in homeless people looking like sluts from the 90s.
Test Subject
#3 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 4:45 PM
My resource.cfg is giving me an error message, when I try to delete it from WinRAR and reinstall it it comes back the same instead of the original format. I don't know how I changed the format, but it won't let me change it back. What should I do?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#4 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 5:05 PM
You don't need to use WinRAR - just go into your Sims 3 folder and delete it, then download a new one.

Can I ask what error it's giving you, though? And why you're trying to change the format?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
#5 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 6:29 PM
When I delete it, it appears to be gone, but when I re-download it to get the custom content to work it goes to WinRAR because I have the install helper monkey installed. So when it shows in WinRAR it has the sims "green diamond" icon by it. I double click to install and the error message pops up.

C:\Users\Tukes\Desktop\Resource.cfg
The archive is either in unknown format or damaged

Please help me, the custom content is there, but it won't work because I screwed up the Resource.cfg
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#6 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 6:50 PM
Well, yes - you just drag the resource.cfg to the correct folder, you don't need to install it with the Monkey or anything else.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 7:23 PM Last edited by lobstergirl : 10th Jun 2009 at 7:40 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Canoodle
There are 2 or three ways to get content into your game.

Sims3pack content (lots and houses and things from the exchange) can be double clicked for installation. Make sure you know what the different files look like. As we require .sim packages for our sims but the exchange, or other sites will probably just put them in a sims3pack.

.package files are handled differently in sims3. You can either install them manually (make sure your have the resource.cfg and mods folder in your program files) or you can install them with Delphy's new installation tool.

It's all in the Wiki:
http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?...3_Package_Files
http://www.sims2wiki.info/wiki.php?...alling_TS3_Sims

The install helper: http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=344611

This didn't really answer my question. I know how to add custom content to my game. I've done it. But all the ones I download from here don't show up in my game because I changed the format. They weren't showing up in my custom content folder or my game because I changed the files to open with Delphy's program by accident. Then when nothing else showed up. I tried to put it back to the original state in which i chose the Sims Launcher to do that. And still nothing. I'm trying to find the original format to reset the files back to normal. Because now when i right click the files the stupid launcher loads up.
Test Subject
#8 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 7:26 PM
You are awesome, thank you...who would have known it could be so easy.
THANK YOU THANK YOU
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#9 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 8:20 PM
The files don't need to open with anything - the Monkey will do everything for you. Once the Monkey's done its thing, you don't need to do anything else. At all.

Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#10 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 9:08 PM
lobstergirl, the launcher should be set to open Sims3Pack files. .package files should be opened with the helper monkey. Thats all you really need to do.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#11 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 10:22 PM
:/ .....

I'm worried that my latest Salvation Army donation will result in homeless people looking like sluts from the 90s.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 10th Jun 2009 at 10:42 PM
Thanks Delphy. I was able to fix it I think. I made it so that the files opened with the launcher. So now the files have the monkey head instead of the Sims plumbob one. And when double clicked it now goes into the right folder instead of trying to start the launcher. I'm about to boot up my game now to see.
Test Subject
#13 Old 11th Jun 2009 at 12:42 AM
I've followed the perfect guide on wiki,downloaded the resource.cfg,made the Mods and Packages folders than I downloaded a house from mts,and put in the packages folder.Then I launched the game,but on the houses pre-made of the game there is not the new one I downloaded,why?
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#14 Old 11th Jun 2009 at 12:50 AM
Uhm.. you don't install lots that way. They aren't package files. They are sims3packs. You just double click on the download to install. Installation is automatic. This has not really changed from the sims2.

Test Subject
#15 Old 11th Jun 2009 at 2:57 PM
yes they are...or maybe I am wrong...the file I am dealing with,the house is this one

http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=345327

I downloaded the file,and inside the WinRAR there is a package file...check yourself if you don't believe....and now I put it in that folder but nothing,doesn't work Why?
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#16 Old 11th Jun 2009 at 3:20 PM
That file was incorrectly uploaded - it's been dealt with.

Test Subject
#17 Old 11th Jun 2009 at 4:02 PM
lol
ok then the only doubt that I have is....How the ppl can comment something like "I 've used,worked,amazing etc etc" without trying if works in game?^^
Anyway thank you so much to everybody that answered me
I'll try with another house then^_^
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#18 Old 11th Jun 2009 at 4:48 PM
Because it was usable - just not by normal means.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#19 Old 11th Jun 2009 at 4:57 PM
Ok, things are working fine now that I reverted the files to Delphy's program. Thanks for the help! You can lock this thread down now moderators.