Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
#51 Old 3rd Sep 2017 at 8:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ourladyplumbob
Like Peni, I also find them reasonably interesting, especially because I'm nosy and fascinated with people in general so always appreciate a slightly closer look at whoever is behind the screen. So I probably do make assumptions, but mainly things like "we find the same things amusing" or "this person probably likes this cartoon/game/franchise". I think I wonder more than assume though. I do sometimes wonder if anyone's noticed mine or associates it with me like I've do with theirs.

I have always had an interest in people, their differences, their thoughts, what makes them tick, etc. I'm a people watcher, and I sometimes have thoughts going through my head like, "She is totally crushing on that guy but has no idea that he is gay," or "Sheesh, I wonder how she treats him when they are not in public?" or "Their dad totally has more maternal instincts than their mom." Weird stuff, fleeting thoughts that hit my imagination for a moment and disappear. So, of course, I get the same kinds of thoughts when I see someone's avatar. But it's usually a combination of avatar choice and their written words that solidify my thoughts about the person behind the picture.

As for yours, it's cartoonish, light-in color, outdoorsy. It makes me think that you are someone who loves the outdoors, maybe even hiking or backpacking. And that you have a great sense of humor.

So many things to learn; so few brain cells to process the info needed to learn things!
Shipwreck Island
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#52 Old 3rd Sep 2017 at 10:09 PM
I do live in a cold place. It's not quite as cold as the Arctic, but snowy and cold enough so that walking to work in the winter is more like an expedition in itself-and often I'd appreciate the fur a real polar bear has on its body.
Funny thing is, I've seen a couple of them (stuffed of course) and was just literally stunned-those animals are HUGE! The claws on one paw is about the same size as a human hand. Definitely not one for hugging!

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#53 Old 3rd Sep 2017 at 10:28 PM
My avatar is an eye, and I'm a mod.
So there you have proof that Big Brother Sister (I AM a girl after all) *is* watching.
Mad Poster
#54 Old 3rd Sep 2017 at 10:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Devon Aster
Though it does occasionally get disorienting if someone changes up their avatar, if they've had a particular one for a while, as I have to get used to associating their new 'face' with their username.

Back when I used Tumblr, some users I was following would change their username, avatar, and blog theme all at once, and many times also changed interests too. This usually left me with absolutely no idea how this random blog got onto my dashboard.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Top Secret Researcher
#55 Old 3rd Sep 2017 at 10:56 PM
From my username i've seen most people assume i'm a guy. I'm a girl. A friend one grade ahead of me, also a girl, was nicknamed Wicked and "passed down" her nickname to me when she graduated, and deemed me Wicked Jr. Not really sure why but I just rolled with it a long time ago when I couldn't think of a username.

As for always having an alien avi, i'm low-key obsessed with aliens. the truth is out there. People probably just think i'm nuts, oh well. :p

My Simblr
He/They
Test Subject
#56 Old 4th Sep 2017 at 12:24 AM
I'm!! also high-key obsessed with aliens. I'm not sure why wicked would be seen as a masculine name though? I always immediately relate it to witches, which most people typically associate with women, I think.
And yeah.... I still have a tumblr, and sometimes I'll think a friend on there has disappeared off the face of the earth for a while, only to find them a few months later with an entirely new name, icon and theme.
Also, I used to think Peni's icon was of Cassandra Goth and Darren Dreamer for some reason(they don't even look that much alike now that I'm looking more closely???), so for a while I kind of assumed she played a lot with premades & shipped those two
Mad Poster
#57 Old 4th Sep 2017 at 12:28 AM
I think it might be the "jr" part. Traditionally, a Jr. is a male. Kind of silly, actually, since I was named after my father, but ....

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#58 Old 4th Sep 2017 at 12:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gazania
I think it might be the "jr" part. Traditionally, a Jr. is a male. Kind of silly, actually, since I was named after my father, but ....

ME, TOO! I always HATED it. I felt like they just were so married to the prospect of having a boy (you couldn't tell back then) that they only picked out a boy's name and then just couldn't be bothered to change it.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Top Secret Researcher
#59 Old 4th Sep 2017 at 1:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by dairyprince
I'm!! also high-key obsessed with aliens. I'm not sure why wicked would be seen as a masculine name though? I always immediately relate it to witches, which most people typically associate with women, I think.
And yeah.... I still have a tumblr, and sometimes I'll think a friend on there has disappeared off the face of the earth for a while, only to find them a few months later with an entirely new name, icon and theme.
Also, I used to think Peni's icon was of Cassandra Goth and Darren Dreamer for some reason(they don't even look that much alike now that I'm looking more closely???), so for a while I kind of assumed she played a lot with premades & shipped those two

Aliens! <3 And yeah, as it's been said already i'm pretty sure it's the junior part that makes people think i'm a man. I am a 28 year old woman, hence the 89 from my year of birth My real life name is Stephanie One of many many Stephanie's born in the 80s/90s

My Simblr
He/They
Scholar
#60 Old 4th Sep 2017 at 2:14 AM
My face looks like this constantly.

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Mad Poster
#61 Old 4th Sep 2017 at 10:40 AM
If we make assumptions about people based on their avi's, does that mean Gazania is a llama?

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Scholar
#62 Old 4th Sep 2017 at 10:55 AM
I totally look like my avatar (I wish). Apart from being a lot older.

Paladins/SimWardrobes downloads: https://simfileshare.net/folder/87849/
Field Researcher
#63 Old 4th Sep 2017 at 8:24 PM
So now I am wondering if anyone out there truly believes that I am (a) female, (b) a mother and/or (c) walking around with my head stuck through a door.

Perhaps I need a new avatar.
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#64 Old 4th Sep 2017 at 8:37 PM
Well people think I am a male because I have a dragon as an avatar.

and I am a 51 year old mother of 5 :D
Forum Resident
#65 Old 4th Sep 2017 at 8:50 PM
Do I need to mention that I do wear more clothes than my avatar depicts? I am a girl though.

For my physical health, I can't eat cheesecake everyday.
For my mental health, I imagine eating cheesecake everyday.
It's a delicate balance.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#66 Old 4th Sep 2017 at 8:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gdayars
Well people think I am a male because I have a dragon as an avatar.

and I am a 51 year old mother of 5 :D

Huh. I too am 51 and am a mother of 5. And while I don't have a dragon as an avatar, I DO have a dragon tattoo on my right shoulder. (A FEMININE dragon, it's got butterfly wings!)
We're practically twins!!
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
#67 Old 4th Sep 2017 at 9:10 PM
yes! twins! we will have to celebrate birthdays together :D
Scholar
#68 Old 5th Sep 2017 at 3:00 AM
Actually Smorbie, your avatar always makes me think of a sweet lady of a quieter nature, which is exactly what you seem to be. Precious (I didn't know she had a name!) was always a favourite character of mine in Looney Tunes for those same reasons, so you picked well I say. :lovestruc

"It is easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
Truth will not fear scrutiny.
Top Secret Researcher
#69 Old 5th Sep 2017 at 12:26 PM
Quote: Originally posted by smorbie1
Do you ever look at someone's avi and imagine what they are like? For example, when you see Precious, my avi, do you assume that I am fat, lazy, extremely attractive to skunks, and a cat?

Both username and avi combined give an impression of the person. So my impression of you is that you like playful things, maybe like cats and are possibly sick of fighting off suitors!

I wouldn't put a lot of effort into getting it transported.
Mad Poster
#70 Old 5th Sep 2017 at 1:24 PM
@gummilutt : I'm sorry to hear of the death of your dog. It seems so recently that you started using his picture for your avatar, though I suppose it really must be a couple of years. In real life I come from a family that has always had cats and dogs, and for the last few years I've had a little cairn terrier called Fudgey. I love her very much, and am sure she loves me, though she's much less demonstrative than the two cats I had before her. My last cat used to lure me into the bedroom and kiss me passionately on the lips! Fudgey is 13 now, but in good health, and I hope I have her for a long time still. I love the name Idefix. I recognise it as the name of the dog in the Asterix cartoon books, at least in the German editions, and probably in the original French too. (Maybe in the Swedish version as well?) In the English editions, he's called Dogmatix, which combines the sense of idée fixe with a pun on "dog".

Back on topic, I plead guilty to initially thinking that Peni might be black. But of course to us, Peni, that is your face, and when I see it, I know the accompanying post is likely to be interesting and erudite, probably verbally illustrated with interesting examples from the fascinating land of Drama Acres. Similarly I'll always think of Jo as a lovely fluffy white kitten. And, since ihatemandatoryregister is the only bulbasaur I know, I know that bulbasaurs are nice green friendly helpful animals!

Peni, thanks for letting us know which of your Sims are in your avatar -- I never knew till now. My own avatar also shows two favourite Sims in my game, but I don't think I need to explain that they're the same two I use for my user name. Nor do I think I need to explain which is which, even though I've got Gloria on the left. Like Peni's avatar, it makes ne feel good because it means I get to see them so often, even when I'm not playing Veronaville. That image is really quite nostalgic for me as it's from the oldest picture taken in my game, taken in Gloria and Andrew's first or second Sim day in Veronaville. Here, never before published on the Internet, is the original picture from which my avatar is taken:
Before I even knew how to use the in-game "C" camera, I took it with Windows PrintScreen, and then cropped it. Behind Andrew, you can actually get a glimpse of Gloria's original tiny kitchen; it was so small, there was no room for a sink, and they always took the dishes to the bathroom to wash! To make the avatar picture, I moved them closer together and then shrunk it down to 90x90 pixels. The date on that picture is 7th December 2012, which proves I've been playing for nearly 5 years now. Of course I didn't get to use my new avatar until I had 5 posts, and that took me until February or March 2013. And then, when I did start using it, I worried in case a mod saw that door handle and thought it was a nipple!

Talk about using pictures of children without their informed consent worries me a little too. I fear I've done something similar. Whenever young Andrew visits a lot with a photo booth, he gets a fear of having his picture taken. When he and Julian went on a downtown outing a few days ago, Andrew had both a fear of having his picture taken in the photo booth, and a fear of Julian and him having their picture taken together in the photo booth! I don't know why it bothers him so much -- I think he's quite photogenic -- but he clearly does have a hang-up about it. So I wonder what he really thinks about me -- I've posted dozens of pictures of him online. Just try Googling "andrew jones veronaville" and see how many pictures of him you find! Plus, through including him in my avatar, there's a small picture of him attached to every one of my three thousand plus posts on MTS! Now Andrew doesn't have a computer, so maybe he doesn't know, but he's bound to go online and find out eventually, especially when he goes to university, and then I fear he won't be too pleased! I wish someone could persuade him that he photographs well, and there's no need to be so shy about his appearance. :lovestruc

I like my avatar and I intend to go on using it -- unless of course Andrew forces me to take all his pictures down!

Do I look like my avatar? Well, I don't think I look like Gloria! Do I look like Andrew? Well Andrew was about 14 when that picture was taken, and I'm in my mid-sixties, so I think we'll look a bit different! But I do try to keep my hair in a style quite like Andrew's, and have done since I was 17. When it comes to physical likeness that's about it, except, I suppose that neither of us is an Adonis, ever was, or ever will be! In character I find it easy to empathise with Andrew, but we're not the same. I think we're both a bit shy, love our mothers, tend to think deeply about things, and have some sort of sense of morality. But Andrew, a Virgo, is very neat and well-organised, and I am afraid that I am anything but! And Andrew of course has a successful gay relationship, whereas I have never had any proper romantic relationship, nor even a first kiss (unless you count my late cat -- see above!).

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#71 Old 5th Sep 2017 at 3:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Bubblebeam
Actually Smorbie, your avatar always makes me think of a sweet lady of a quieter nature, which is exactly what you seem to be. Precious (I didn't know she had a name!) was always a favourite character of mine in Looney Tunes for those same reasons, so you picked well I say. :lovestruc

My first choice was Marvin Martian, but I couldn't find a picture of him I liked. Then I wanted the big orange monster, Gossamer. But I couldn't find any pictures of him at all. So, I went with Precious. And yes, Simbalena, I'm playful, and love cats. I don't have to fight off a lot of suiters, but I have always seemed to attract the stinky ones for some reason.

AndrewGloria, I've always wondered, and I'm sure this is fodder for another thread, what is it about Andrew that has always made him your favorite. I have favorites, too, and sometimes can't quite pinpoint the reason.

Peni, I will join you in mourning when Drama Acres breathes it's last. Will you try to clone the sims and place them in another hood?

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Forum Resident
#72 Old 5th Sep 2017 at 6:58 PM
What's up with all the disagreeing?
I'm going to beat the disagree monster by being the first to disagree with my post. The rest of you can feel free to disagree with me as well. :-)

So many things to learn; so few brain cells to process the info needed to learn things!
Shipwreck Island
Instructor
#73 Old 5th Sep 2017 at 7:29 PM
The disagree troll lurks in the off-topic forums, disagreeing with every single post in there because "ITZ ZO FUNNY AHAHAHALOLOLOL". Just ignore them.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#74 Old 5th Sep 2017 at 9:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SIMelissa
What's up with all the disagreeing?
I'm going to beat the disagree monster by being the first to disagree with my post. The rest of you can feel free to disagree with me as well. :-)

that's a great idea. Just so you know, I'm going to disagree with you post, but it will be a hearts-and-flowers hug. Why don't we just all do that from now? If you're sending a hug, disagree!

Bubblebeam, I'm hearting yours, too. So, you'll get a disagree.

Velvetina, Just read your post. Sending you a big ole disagree hug, too. Enjoy :lovestruc

Mad Poster
#75 Old 5th Sep 2017 at 9:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AndrewGloria
@gummilutt : I'm sorry to hear of the death of your dog. It seems so recently that you started using his picture for your avatar, though I suppose it really must be a couple of years. In real life I come from a family that has always had cats and dogs, and for the last few years I've had a little cairn terrier called Fudgey. I love her very much, and am sure she loves me, though she's much less demonstrative than the two cats I had before her. My last cat used to lure me into the bedroom and kiss me passionately on the lips! Fudgey is 13 now, but in good health, and I hope I have her for a long time still. I love the name Idefix. I recognise it as the name of the dog in the Asterix cartoon books, at least in the German editions, and probably in the original French too. (Maybe in the Swedish version as well?) In the English editions, he's called Dogmatix, which combines the sense of idée fixe with a pun on "dog".

I don't remember how long it's been, but I'm guessing more than a couple of years. Recently hit the two year anniversary of his passing, and I'm sure I had it long before he died. And yes, he's named after the Asterix comic His father was called Asterix, and an uncle was called Obelix. My dad and I used to read Asterix when I was little, so it seemed only fitting to take the hint and name him Idefix. His kennel name was Elrond, which sounds so weird to me I think it's Idefix in the Swedish comic as well, but not sure. We read the English version.

I love terriers. Idefix was an Irish soft coated wheaten terrier. Don't think I've ever met a cairn terrier, but most terrier breeds seem to have a great deal of terrier-traits, so I'm sure I'd like Fudgey. We've gotten a new addition to the family this summer, the sweetest little dog called Kira. She's a mixed breed, 50% chinese crested, 25% malteser and 25% yorkshire terrier. Gotta have a bit of terrier She's got some Idefix-traits in her, really smart, and a lot of personality. Even people who don't like dogs fall in love with her after a few minutes. Here's a picture, in case any one wants their daily cuteness dose.

Interesting that you say cats were more loving. Usually the reverse, isn't it?

(and yes I know, this is totally off topic and not related to avatars, but you can't talk to me about my dogs and not get a wall of text about dogs )

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Page 3 of 4