Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#801 Old 20th Oct 2013 at 7:15 AM
Hey everyone! First, yes I'm still alive, lol. And yes, I'm aware that I've not updated for the past few expansions. Sorry about that! I do have University Life and I could update the challenge for that, but my head has been in another place lately. And I don't have money for more expansions right now, even though I'm trying to - worst case scenario I'll get caught up with everything around Christmas (yay for people who buy me things and way too much free time!). And I know that none of that is very helpful at the moment, but at least I can reassure you guys that I've not totally abandoned this. In fact when I'm done here I'm planning on loading up the game so that I can continue my NIF/RL challenge - which is going so well that I wish that I'd blogged it, lol.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#802 Old 20th Oct 2013 at 4:45 PM Last edited by slave_zombie_student : 20th Oct 2013 at 7:49 PM.
As I didn't get an answer from my question decided to restart it again, but in another empty town: Asgaard

This is unlike avalon, while in avalon spawners were already placed here are NO spawners, really no spawners. there are some fishing spawners in the river but there are not bazillion of rare bug spawners like in avalon, used the same sim: Clarissa McCabe, she has the following traits:

Hopeless Romantic (so she success while flirting, kissing, proposing with ease)
Insane (in an empty world "talk to herself" comes handy)
Gatherer (a must)
Slob (since i'm going to have a hard time at the begining having to rummage my own trash bin, this also comes handy)
Childish (Play tag also comes handy when socializing with other sims)
Favorite food: Pancakes
Favorite music: clasic
Favorite Color: Mexican pink
skin: rainbow, but not visible at first sight :evil:

She married the mailman and had two sons, the first one was sent to fortsnatch's military, the second was close to her birthday. She also managed to master painting (without enoug bugs i had to find out another way to get money fast) and aquired the salon, then entered in a midlife crisis and i had to divorce the mailman, move to another home (good thing that the second son was still a baby so i could move without the need of aquiring a second bed) currently wooing a french.

Also using my 99 days setting with the following changes:

baby: 2 days
Toddler: 5 days
child: 14 days
teen: 14 days
Young adult: 25 days
Adult: 21 dats
Elder 18 days

I will get that french guy to master writting so i can get the spa and bookstore combo
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Clarissa_McCabe.rar (461.6 KB, 4 downloads) - View custom content
Description: sim may require both custom sliders by johna and niksim plus bloom's footwidth and tns3Breastheight
Test Subject
#803 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 8:00 AM
I started this challenge yesterday and I love it so far! I pretty much only play legacies, so I'll be playing it like a legacy. Added bonus: my game runs smoother than ever before due to the completely empty town! Saving & the loading screen are also really quick, which I appreciate.

I started with a YA female, Georgina Porter. She married the pizza delivery girl, Liliana and they have 3 little boys (Ezra, James & Nathaniel). Georgie is a novelist and painter (and novice gardener) while Lil makes money from creating and selling sculptures. She just maxed the sculpture skill and Georgie is one or two points from maxing writing, so I'm trying to save up to buy the associated lots. I actually really appreciate not having any other lots because it means that I can explore the scenery as well. Whenever they get the stir crazy moodlet I send Georgie & Lil out to collect seeds & wildflowers & minerals. Ezra just befriended the paper girl, so she'll probably be his future-wife (or I'll make his imaginary friend real). The twins (James & Nathaniel) just became children and I'm not sure yet what I'm going to do with them. The mailman lived with them for a little while, but he caught fire while inventing and died. Whoops.

Current Households:
The Porters - Georgina (A), Liliana (A), Ezra (C), James, (C), Nathaniel (C)

Upcoming Community Lots:
Bookstore (or Bookstore/Spa combo) - Georgina
Consignment Store - Liliana
Field Researcher
#804 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 8:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Avalikia
Hey everyone! First, yes I'm still alive, lol. And yes, I'm aware that I've not updated for the past few expansions. Sorry about that! ..........

Ooh I'm just glad to see a post from you! Don't worry about updating if you don't have time/have lost interest, but I'll be looking forward to it if/when you do. :lovestruc
I wish I'd made some kind of recording of my original NIF legacy. I could never get into simblogging but I had taken pictures which I think I've deleted by now -_-
Lab Assistant
#805 Old 24th Oct 2013 at 3:14 PM Last edited by Kittens! : 24th Oct 2013 at 8:13 PM.
How do you purchase the base game other lots and the.graveyard. homemuch money is needed? Oh and, you can have one sim get multiple lots, right?

Also, in sunset valley I keep looking for seeds and I can't find a single apple, tomato, grape, or lettuce seed. It is all this stuf that she does not know. Where should I go?

~Edit~
Okay, so I just started. My sim is Caitlin Ross and she lives in Sunset Valley with no other lots but her own. She soon became married to the mail man. His name is Lane Clemnentson (I don't think I got the last name right...) So them Caitin adopted his last name.I don't think that this relationship between the two will last long due to Lane's traits. He has the Commitment Issues trait. :/ He has a skill of handiness of 1 and a level 2 of writing.So far Caitlin is at 3 skill points in cooking and fishing, I finally got seeds she can plant! Lane is glitched now... He is not learning any skills no matter what I do, it just stays at like level 1 or 2 then stops... Oh! They had their first baby, Andrea. She has the Good trait and the Genius trait.

Family: Clementson- Caitlin (YA), Lane (YA), Andrea (B)

No community lots

Plans: Caitlin- restaurant/ fishing spot/ store (Not for books)
Lane- Bookstore
Andrea- Hospital/ science lab ???
Test Subject
#806 Old 25th Oct 2013 at 1:29 AM
A twist that I like to put on my starting Sim for the challenge is to take a cue from the 1$ challenge, and set familyfunds to 1 after I purchase the initial lot. Makes the first few days very interesting (hint, Angler and Pizza).
Lab Assistant
#807 Old 25th Oct 2013 at 7:32 PM
How much money dose it cost when it says no skill requirement but you must buy it?

Okay, my sims just had twins, both boys. They are James (Brave, Artistic) and Jacob (Genius, Light Sleeper) I fixed Lane's glitch by resetting him. There are houses, raccoons, and deer all over my lot 24/7, it gets annoying but they keep their new cat busy. The cat's name is Minty, oh and they do have a bird too. The birds name is big bird. I am having fun with the game so far. :D

family: (Clementson) Caitlin (YA), Lane (YA), Andrea (T), James (B), Jacob (B)

No other lots, yet.

Planned lots: Caitlin- restaurant/ fishing spot/ store (Not for books)
Lane- Bookstore
James- Theater/ Police Department/ Art Museum ???
Jacob- Criminal Warehouse/ Hospital/ School ???
Test Subject
#808 Old 26th Oct 2013 at 6:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kittens!
How much money dose it cost when it says no skill requirement but you must buy it?

If it says that you must buy it then the cost depends on the what all is on the lot when you go to buy it.

i.e. When you click on the lot's icon in map view, and it shows the purchase option, what is listed there? That is the price.
Test Subject
#809 Old 26th Oct 2013 at 6:38 PM
Planned lots: Caitlin- restaurant/ fishing spot/ store (Not for books)
Lane- Bookstore
James- Theater/ Police Department/ Art Museum ???
Jacob- Criminal Warehouse/ Hospital/ School ???

Also,

I am noticing your planned lots.

The combination lots listed in the rules are primarily the combo-rabbit-holes that come with the game. I think that for "regular" lots, you would need to get most of those separately.

so, like, you could get a City Hall/Police Department/Military, but I haven't seen a naturally occurring fishing hole/anything else combo yet. Then again, with some of the new stuff, you may be able to actually build the two together. I am not sure what the ruling on this would be.
Lab Assistant
#810 Old 26th Oct 2013 at 7:08 PM
Thanks for the answers. Burlingk I just when I listed those lots, I did not mean all together on one lot, I was just panning for them to get one of them. Like restaurant/ fishing spot/ store (Not for books) I ment that she will only get one of those on a lot, not all of them.
Test Subject
#811 Old 27th Oct 2013 at 8:52 AM
Thanks for the answers. Burlingk I just when I listed those lots, I did not mean all together on one lot, I was just panning for them to get one of them. Like restaurant/ fishing spot/ store (Not for books) I ment that she will only get one of those on a lot, not all of them.

I see. Makes sense. :-)
Test Subject
#812 Old 27th Oct 2013 at 3:38 PM Last edited by ogamaga : 27th Oct 2013 at 4:12 PM.
Any input regarding Into The Future yet? You can stay in the future indefinitely from what I can tell, except you still age. Not sure about those left in the present. Also curious about a requirement to place a bot emporium in the present. I'm currently treating time travel like a WA vacation.
Lab Assistant
#813 Old 27th Oct 2013 at 4:58 PM
Well, my game got deleted. -_- dont know how. I left the house to go somewhere and when i came back it was gone.
Test Subject
#814 Old 29th Oct 2013 at 6:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ogamaga
Any input regarding Into The Future yet? You can stay in the future indefinitely from what I can tell, except you still age. Not sure about those left in the present. Also curious about a requirement to place a bot emporium in the present. I'm currently treating time travel like a WA vacation.

I would guess that the same travel rules apply (i.e. You can't get a earn a community lot once you travel).

As for bot making emporium, perhaps maxed bot making. I haven't figured out the other skills yet.
Lab Assistant
#815 Old 30th Oct 2013 at 3:02 AM
well the french guy managed to get enough money and writting skill before passing out to buy the spa/bookstore combo, the first local is ready:

This lot includes salon, bookstore/spa combo and added also the french seed generator number 3 plus three buterfly generators, finally i can start collecting something that doesn't come from garbage pail (Asgaard has no generators)
Test Subject
#816 Old 31st Oct 2013 at 10:58 PM
I started this challenge with Roger Thomas (green thumb, angler, loner, loves the out doors, great cook). He starting building a relationship with the mail woman but then his toilet broke. rather than repair it himself he called the plumber and was instantly smitten when Katrina Sears showed up. He invited her for dinner and soon ended up having her move in. They got married and took her last name. Their first child, Annie is an aspiring writer and artist. Annie has started a relationship with the former paper boy now a bugler who has the trait savy sculptor.

I'm struggling with making enough money to purchase any lots as I keep spending it on the founder's house. I did place a restriction that they must place a solar panel for every major appliance in the home and upgrading the panel allows one small appliance. This restriction will be lifted when I've got City Hall, a Military Base and Science Lab.

Sears Family
Roger - maxed gardening, cooking & painting
Katrina - maxed athletics, handiness
Annie - working on writing

Current Lots:
none

Planned Lots:
Roger - Bistro/Grocery
Katrina - Military Base
Annie - Book Store
Field Researcher
#817 Old 1st Nov 2013 at 4:19 AM
I love the idea of needing a solar panel for each major appliance. Thats genius!

I usually play the variation with LTW fullfillment instead of the usual unlock requirements, but this time I'm doing a bit of a story.

Sapphire (blue hair, pink eyes) and Garnet (red hair, yellow eyes) are twin sisters who hate each other. They are being punished for their misbehaviour by their fae queen, and as such were stripped of their magic, banished from their homes and must live for all eternity in the same dwelling.

They both have the Evil and Irrisistable traits, with Sapphire having a bookish (eco-friendly, bookworm, neat) bent and Garnet being more outdoorsy (green thumb, angler, loves the outdoors).

They aren't too inclined to do as they are told, and only the curse placed upon them will keep them living together, but live together they must. They are both already hatching individual plans to develop a new civilisation, each seeing herself and her offspring as its natural rulers.

So, all the usual rules of NIF apply, with the exception of starting with one founder. This time I have two.

In addition I have new rules:
- A True Heir from the Red and Blue bloodlines must live in the original dwelling at all times. A True Heir is female, has hair and eyes in the colour of her mother, and the evil + irrisistable traits.
- The curse can be broken if a True Heir gains magical power (is born a witch or a fairy). In that case, she and her relatives will get a 'free move'. Either they can move to a new dwelling, or they can kick out all of their incorrectly-hued relatives.
- A False Heir is female, has hair and eyes of the correct colour, but has the GOOD trait. If no True Heir is available in a generation, then the False Heir will carry on the blood line, but attempt to make peace with the other side.
- If a False Heir gains magical powers she can choose to make the curse permanent (out of despair that the family doesn't seem willing to make peace), which removes the opportunity for a 'free move'.

I added the free move thing because after a couple of generations I often find myself getting overstuffed and wishing I could just move a bunch of people out into houses to get on with their lives even if they haven't earned a lot yet.

So far I'm only a day in and Sapphire has started on a book (A Tale of Two Sisters) and painted some things, while Garnet has done some light cooking and shagged Cristel, the School Mascot. (Cristel was her randomly generated name, which is pretty thematically appropriate!).
Now I'm just figuring out if I want to move Cristel in and make her a maid / brood mare of sorts while the Founders are busy hatching plots and skilling up.
Test Subject
#818 Old 3rd Nov 2013 at 8:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by burlingk
I would guess that the same travel rules apply (i.e. You can't get a earn a community lot once you travel).

As for bot making emporium, perhaps maxed bot making. I haven't figured out the other skills yet.

I played it this way. So my founder stayed two ingame weeks, learned robotics, raided the shipwrack over and over, and finally brought back 50k ยง and a bot that can feed a family alone with painting. And if money becomes a problem again, a simple visit to the future settles it. Well, I think it makes it to easy, so I would suggest to make a requirement for the time portal, too. You must first invent the "old" timemachine before you can use the time portal.
Screenshots
Field Researcher
#819 Old 4th Nov 2013 at 1:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SarahARoyce
[...] I would suggest to make a requirement for the time portal, too. You must first invent the "old" timemachine before you can use the time portal.
Not an inherently bad idea for a time travel requirement, but it does leave a question: where does that leave these people who have Into the Future, but not Ambitions? It'd probably be better to use a requirement that's possible with only the base game and/or ITF.

WARNING: Professional Lurker Alert!
Quote:
"Ew, trees [WooHoo-ing]."

-- "Oral Pollination", Not Always Right
Test Subject
#820 Old 4th Nov 2013 at 5:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by G-Mon
Not an inherently bad idea for a time travel requirement, but it does leave a question: where does that leave these people who have Into the Future, but not Ambitions? It'd probably be better to use a requirement that's possible with only the base game and/or ITF.

Better to advocate that "Ambitions" is a much better Add On than "Into the Future", and cheaper, if you look around. ;-) ItF was the first Add On I regreted getting.
Lab Assistant
#821 Old 4th Nov 2013 at 11:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SarahARoyce
Better to advocate that "Ambitions" is a much better Add On than "Into the Future", and cheaper, if you look around. ;-) ItF was the first Add On I regreted getting.

OBJECTION!

The "game breaking" one is Late Night, it makes this challenge have no challenge at all:

-Papparazzis can be married. and they spawn even if there are NO LOTS at all
-Celebritiy system is too fucking easy to climb (get in shape for easy CELEBRITY POINTS, befriend the random newspaper kids and game will make them celebrities too... Vampire Apocalypse...) BUT WHAT IS WORSE: even being a 1 star celebrity gives you stuff FOR FREE
-if you think this is not enough for making this challenge NOTHING but a normal game of sims, you get discounts in the stores just for being a celebrity
Field Researcher
#822 Old 5th Nov 2013 at 1:51 AM
If we're talking about which expansion makes NIF less of a challenge, I have to say that Seasons is the one. Sure winter can put a dampener on your farming until you build a green house, but the price of wild flowers is *absurd*. Even with the minor debuff from picking them you can make your sim rich just from wildflowers.

I find the way the papparazzi run off at certain times of the day really irritating if I'm trying to befriend them, so I just pretend they don't exist, and I use a mod to change the celebrity settings around a bit. (Although your founder being a celebrity kinda makes sense. Thats how small towns work - less so with the work out for celeb points, but still.) I'm yet to figure out how to tune the price of wildflowers though. I had a half hearted fiddle with Retuner but its a bit beyond me really.
Lab Assistant
#823 Old 6th Nov 2013 at 10:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kidhedera
If we're talking about which expansion makes NIF less of a challenge, I have to say that Seasons is the one. Sure winter can put a dampener on your farming until you build a green house, but the price of wild flowers is *absurd*. Even with the minor debuff from picking them you can make your sim rich just from wildflowers.

I find the way the papparazzi run off at certain times of the day really irritating if I'm trying to befriend them, so I just pretend they don't exist, and I use a mod to change the celebrity settings around a bit. (Although your founder being a celebrity kinda makes sense. Thats how small towns work - less so with the work out for celeb points, but still.) I'm yet to figure out how to tune the price of wildflowers though. I had a half hearted fiddle with Retuner but its a bit beyond me really.

Just have been testing that expansion. it took me a while to get it but finally i got it. and here are my two cents:
Indeed, Cosmos is pretty overpriced, it sells for even more than most gems which is pretty ga,ebreaking. BUT you can opt them out by removing spring (thing i did, i hate two things: easy things and valentine day, killed two birds with the same shot) and now it's going to be a hard time, i managed to get the arboretum too late with that stuff (but i did) I'm going to edit this post to add the arboretum photos soon but for now that's all i had to say.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#824 Old 7th Nov 2013 at 5:05 AM
This is where I cite Optional Rule #2. It's impossible to go through all the many absurdly easy ways of raking in the cash, and each expansion seems to add in several more. What's more, it's impossible to ultimately define where the line is between which things are very lucrative but still valid ways of making money and which things are just over that limit. And that line probably even varies from person to person depending on your skill level and how hard you want to be trying. So my goal as the challenge creator is simply to make it a decent challenge for people who don't normally micromanage their Sims carefully - those of you who are pros at micromanaging your Sims will naturally find it a lot easier.

But that's where adding in rules for yourself can make it so much funner, and I have a lot of fun reading what people do in their own game with it. And sheesh, some of you like to set the bar really, really high for yourself, but that's awesome to see! Personally, I'm loving the Random/NIF combo, but there are so many other combinations.
Lab Assistant
#825 Old 8th Nov 2013 at 4:09 AM
UPDATE: I managed to befriend a fairy random generated sim and forced her to garden, was pretty hard due she had social butterfly, hates the outdoors and neat traits (really bad combo for gardening) the other two were the "family trait whose name i can't remember" and perfectionist... however she could did it even with the death of her husband... She was pregnant, had twins. moved her daughters... she got another daughter who is also a fairy, but i kept her husband away due my household was full with Clarissa (young again potion), an imaginary friend and two plumbots, the "man of the house" is a legless plumbot who seems to love martial arts, also used random button to create a female one and find out something interesting...
however let's resume this post, The adult fairy master gardening then spent 17 K on a big park and added the arboretum:

The arboretum unlocked wyld crystal flowers, rainbow gem generator and rainbow beetle generator.
BTW, hitted random button on my female plumbot, seems plumbots INDEED inherits sim object, unlike pets, just look at how is her body developed... she has strong huge legs:
Attached files:
File Type: rar  WTF.rar (166.8 KB, 5 downloads) - View custom content
Page 33 of 39