Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Feb 2012 at 2:23 PM Last edited by lipglosschaos : 26th Sep 2012 at 7:56 PM.
Default What Do You Love and Hate About Generations?
What do you like? What do you hate? What is glitchy? What do you wish was different? What is useless and boring?

I haven't had a ton of time to explore all the features, but here are my initial thoughts:

General: I should have waited about eight months to buy this Expansion Pack because it is worth buying, especially if you play Legacy-style and enjoy having Children, but definitely not worth the $40 it cost me. I should have waited until I could get it for $20. Nevertheless, this Expansion Pack may not drastically change your gameplay, but it's full of lots of "little things" that enrich the experience- and after all, isn't that what life's about?

Clothes: Most of clothes are definitely Elder-oriented, but they are very cute. I'm a little tired of seeing my Elders walking around in skanky little dresses. No matter how much Elder clothing I buy, it seems all they want to do is go back to the days of their Youth.

Hair: Some good hair here. I like the short, curly hair that looks great on Elder females. As for Body Hair, eh. I'm the type of person who is generally turned off by facial and body hair, so I haven't done much with this. It's well drawn and looks good, but it's just not what I'm into.

Memories: Oh God oh God oh God make it stop. They just annoy the crap out of me. They make my game lag A LOT. I had a fire on my home lot during a party and two guests died because my Brave Sim was lagging too much to extinguish the flames or call the firefighters... all because every single Sim in my household had to get a memory about the fire. Honestly.

Romantic Reputation: I don't mind this so much, but I do think there should be ways of keeping your reputation a secret, and I don't think that having a couple Romantic Interests should be considered cheating. That's what Going Steady is for.

Canes: I love these. I almost always use the Southern Gentleman walk because the Geriatric Gait depresses me. They're relatively inexpensive and don't cause any issues in my game.

Prom: This is sweet, but it needs to be fixed so that they only hold it on Fridays/Saturdays. It went well into the night and my Teens were not back until nearly midnight. My Sim was voted Prom King and he even met his girlfriend there! However, it does seem as though every Sim that goes either gets voted Prom King or gets in a fight. My loner Sim got elected prom king: very unrealistic! He had barely any friends, so why would anyone vote for him?

Graduation: Boy, are these loooong! That's okay, though, since mostly it's just waiting. I flipped to Ultra-Fast and thumbed through a magazine. I thought the gowns they wore were cute.

Boarding School: I'm not sure about this yet. Even though I haven't tried it out, it's pretty straight-forward so I can have a preliminary opinions about it. I don't like the idea of just sending my kids away; I feel like it defeats the purpose of having them in the first place. But, if you need to get them off your chest, go for it!

Treehouses, Sandboxes, Costumes, etc: These are all sweet and generally non-glitchy for me. I like the costumes; hopefully we can get some Modders to do some really cute ones for us! Treehouses are basically the same as those base-game playsets, but still cute. Sandboxes and seesaws are nice.

Zebra Maxidress in 5 Colors

I made a tutorial! Check it out here.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 18th Feb 2012 at 3:11 PM
I hate the fact that I can't read my toddler to sleep! It is beyond annoying that I get the option but nothing happens when I click on it!

I also hate the memory system. My sims seem to get two or three memories of the same thing. Your sim just had a great date! Your sim just had a great date with other sim! Your sim just went on his/her first date with other sim. I mean, wouldn't just one memory of a great first date with other sim be enough? I like the idea of having memories, just not so many!

Other than that, everything seems to be working nicely and I enjoy it.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 19th Feb 2012 at 6:51 AM
I hate the way the romantic reputation works. My sim had a wife, she died, he got remarried, and now the entire town calls him a cheater because the game recognizes his first marrige as still active relationship. What's he gonna do? Cuddle with a tombstone? Also romantic intrests with no indication of exclusiveness are being treated like relationships with 'till death do us part' declaration. Oh wait, no, even freaking death won't do them part!
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 5:24 PM Last edited by Fluffy Puff : 21st Feb 2012 at 12:27 AM.
I don't have the expansion, but the memory system introduced with the new patch I could live without. It started annoying me almost immediately. I was glad to find I could at least disable the annoying notifications that pop up with each new memory. I'm considering adding Shimrod101's mod to disable them altogether.

I'd prefer having a memory system like the Sims 2 if there was a way to do it without risk of game corruption.

Edit: I added the mod. No more new memories! YAHOO! :D
Forum Resident
#5 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 8:00 PM
Yep, I turned off memories entirely with MasterController as soon as I was done uploading 200 of them. I haven't regretted it since. Entirely useless in my opinion. But, at least those can be disabled. I actually hate the romantic reputation system way more.

There are lots of others things that I do enjoy, like children playing in sand, and making potions with the chemistry set.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 8:38 PM
Like: Potions, treehouses, the new interactions for teens, children, and toddlers.
Dslike: Poorly-implemented memory system and romantic reputation system.
Instructor
#7 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 8:56 PM
I really hate those creepy imaginary friend things... I would have been okay with the idea if EA had at least made them look less creepy.

I dislike most of Generations in general, though. I really like the new items though, and some of the interactions.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 24th Feb 2012 at 10:38 PM
I generally like the expansion, I feel like it really added features to the game, especially improved sims lives in all stages, so now they have more things to do. I love new items and activities, but memory system is pure crap especially because it can corrupt the game. Reputation is also badly done. Love the imaginary friend thou, just wish that the doll would be harder to get. I kinda feel all sims 3 creatures are easily achievable, unlike the sims 3 where you had to work to get some.
Forum Resident
#9 Old 24th Feb 2012 at 11:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Shhh
You can turn off memories in the Setting menu with no mods, you do realise

Not really. The option is "Enable memory notification." When it's off, all it does it stop spamming you with messages about how your sim will never forget her 457th trip to the park. Memories are still created with this setting disabled, which is the bigger problem. It bloats save files tremendously. This is especially problematic for people who suffer from frequent Error Code 12 problems when saving.
Test Subject
#10 Old 8th Mar 2012 at 7:56 PM
Default Annoyed
Would you all like to know what annoys me?

I was expecting top-notch family scenario. I'm talking about going into CAS (Create a Sim) and creating a adult male and a adult female.

Then later down the road, possibly if you have the time, creating the adult male and adult female's parents.

Then you have the elders (parents) and the siblings, then the siblings lead their seperate lives, have their children, and their children have grandmothers and great-grandmothers, and uncles, and aunts...

That was all I wanted. I would have paid seventy dollars for that feature.

That's all I ever wanted.

We don't have cousins or aunts... it's ridiculous.

===============================================

Of course you can get around this by:

Creating ELDER parents (Grandparents)
Creating ADULT female (Link as elder's Daughter)
Creating ADULT male (Link as elder's son)

(That makes them have a Mom and Dad.)

Create Husband for female adult
Create Wife for male adult

(Now the adult's have parents, and they have in-laws)

Create teenager (Link as Adult male or female's child)

(Now you have offspring.)

THAT'S WHAT GENERATIONS IS CALLING FOLKS. EA YOU SUCK! Just kidding... But still.
Forum Resident
#11 Old 20th Mar 2012 at 8:40 PM
@alisha - So are you saying that if you make an elder couple and an adult, you can't link the elders as the parents of the adult? I've never tried this but now I'm curious. I'm well aware that you cant link people if they were separately made in CAS, I never really thought about that feature.

Onyx Sims is now open!
Scholar
#12 Old 21st Mar 2012 at 11:51 PM
i love the video camera....and now with ST...i can take videos of visiting sim from others games...
Test Subject
#13 Old 25th Mar 2012 at 5:34 PM
I just got this expansion pack, I must say this is my favorite EP 8-).
And what i love the most about it is the video camera!! altho it seems to lag so much
when my sims play it on tv. I also love the new school interactions. There really isnt
something to hate for me, I just wish they have more thing for the YAs since I play with
that age group the most
Mad Poster
#14 Old 10th Apr 2012 at 10:21 PM
I'm going to make a blanket statement, I hate Imaginary Friends...

I mean when my couple had their first kid I got the message from Grandma's second cousin about the surprise in the mailbox, got the thing and thought oh isn't this cute? It grew into the imaginary friend and since my kid was the only child until teenhood, I thought oh this was adorable, blah blah blah, they would play all day and then the thing would turn into a doll when the kid went to school or to sleep.

But then...

My couple had triplets... and each one of them got one of the damn things. I couldn't even keep up with who's imaginary friend was who's, and I assumed when a sim reached teenhood the imaginary friend would dissapear, but oh noooo, damned if the things didn't grow up with them.

I chose one of the triplets as the heir as I was making a legacy, the thing stuck with her even during her engagement and bachelor party, she couldn't even mingle at her party because Imaginary Friends need so much attention. When finally it vanished after I moved my sims to Bridgeport.

I'm aware that you can make the imaginary friend real through some potion, but I think they should also have an option weather or not:

1. Your sim kid NEEDS an imaginary friend (if they're an only child I get it, but triplets?)
2. Teenhood is too old for an imaginary friend, at this age they should have an option for the imaginary friend to become real or for it to just disappear forever.

Also on a different note, I think sims should visit every now and then from boarding school.

"Going to the chapel of Love"

the girls club . statistics . yearbook .
Field Researcher
#15 Old 10th Apr 2012 at 11:06 PM
I do like Generations, but I feel like since this was the EP dedicated solely to stages of life, they could have expanded quite a bit more on things they put in it. Prom was cute to me at first, but now that every other one of my sims gets voted prom king or queen, it's lost its appeal. If they don't get voted king or queen, they get into a fight. A liiiitttle more variety would be nice. I'd also like if they made the boarding school ordeal a little more interactive, or included a private school system like TS2. Or let the kids come home for a few days? Something in between having them all the time and not having them at all. And since they have the daycare career (which I like), why not make it something your sims can utilize when they have to go to work and want their kids actually taken care of? Or at least better baby sitters? I know they can't do everything, but there are so many little and - to me - obvious things they could have done to make it a little more fulfilling. And how about some interactions for toddlers and babies! I dislike the younger stages immensely because their only purpose seems to be to be fed and changed every 30 minutes.
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 11th Apr 2012 at 3:07 AM
I hate the fact that everything they sold us in Generations should have been in the base game from the start.

TS2 and TS3: Where adult sims potty train their toddlers.
TS4: Where adult sims make Angry Poops.

Which game is made for the juvenile minded?
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 12th Apr 2012 at 2:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by zigersimmer
I hate the fact that everything they sold us in Generations should have been in the base game from the start.

I have to agree with that, another way to get money -_- *sigh*
Top Secret Researcher
#18 Old 22nd Apr 2012 at 1:08 AM
When you play Generations for a first time it really excites you to see all the new features. A couple of days later you realise you bought another EP only to have more text to read. The Prom night seemed interesting, but didn't occur to me that I would have to read what my teen Sims were doing.
And what is this nonsense about every single newly-born baby receiving a doll? An imaginary friend is no longer special when every Tom, Dick and Harry have one. Would it really hurt to make it sort of special and only kids with specific traits receive one?
Field Researcher
#19 Old 24th Apr 2012 at 12:06 PM
I hate how every teen sim is prom king/queen. It was cute the first few times, but it's not so adorable when your daughter and your son are prom king and queen. That's just... weird. And I don't think my loner sims that know about 2 people from school should be prom king.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#20 Old 24th Apr 2012 at 1:37 PM
One thing I hate about Generations is that it doesn't have a new world to play.
Instructor
#21 Old 25th Apr 2012 at 1:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample

Especially considering it probably has a ton less content than the rest of the EPs. I mean, look at WA, which added a completely new type of gameplay plus content for that plus three worlds. And with Generations we get a bunch of small, simple additions (many of which don't require animations), and yet no world?

I promise I'm not as grumpy as my avatar looks.
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
#22 Old 25th Apr 2012 at 10:26 AM
What I hate about Genrations is:
1. All those interactions that cannot be cancelled, like Scold or Accuse of Cheating
2. Proms. One of my current teen Sims now has four randomly assigned romantic interests, one girlfriend and, accordingly, a bad reputation. Very nice, especially as the Clean Slate LTR is not available for teens. Having five Prom King crowns does not make up for how this game messed up my family.
3. Preside Over Royal Court. This has got to be the most annoying autonomous action. I begin to dread the moment when a chair appears in the action queue of my child Sims. If you cancel it, they'll change into that outfit nevertheless and you have to cancel it another time. And once a child has done it for the first time they seem to get addicted to it and able to find the nearest dining chair even when they're out collecting bugs. I'm really thinking about either aging that boy up, sending him to boarding school or into the Netherworld.
Top Secret Researcher
#23 Old 26th Apr 2012 at 9:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample

That's why we have Simsample. To take over where EAtards fail.
Test Subject
#24 Old 3rd May 2012 at 9:48 AM
Ahhh, Generations.

I must say..I actually like Generations. It's not worth $40, but it really reminded me of Sims: Life Stories. And when you have The Sims 3: Pets, it's just complete. Me, I like to play Sims like it's my real life. My expectations were set pretty high for this expansion.

I wanted the teens, whether it's family-appropriated or not, to get pregnant, and have to get married. I want to go to doctor's appointments when I'm pregnant, have baby showers, get ultrasounds, have bridal showers(not just bachelorette parties). I want women, in general, to be able to abort. Because that's a way of life. I realize there are mods for them, and I've had them, but it's not the same. I shouldn't have to download them. I really wanted changing tables...that was WORKING like in TS2/Life Stories. I wanted a wedding chapel, not just the arch back. I wanted parents to be able to ground their children for doing anything wrong.

I do like, though, that teens now have to be TAUGHT to drive, they have dances, prom, graduation. You can send them off to boarding schools, they can have their own parties and sleep overs. I love that they can now can Bachelor and Bachelorette parties, they brought back the wedding cake! I was so happy to see that. I was happy to see that they care about where their friends graduated. Also, WITH a diploma to show off.

They could've put a lot more in the expansion for what we paid. Maybe new vehicles, a new world, some kids stuff. Just more.

And maybe this isn't the right thread to bring this up, but..I really wish they'd give me some rain, some clouds..snow? Anything.

I agree, the imaginary friend is a little creepy. The memory notifications are annoying as hell. And the romantic reputation, I like/dislike. I wanted it when I didn't have it, but don't really want it when I get caught cheating and can't even have an interaction to "Explain Myself" or "Beg Back", maybe even "Sit and Work Things Out". Anything? No. Instead you can't talk to that person romantically for like 5 days because they were "betrayed". -___- That's not real life, people.

Um, I wanted to actually see a new laundry set, and kitchen set. Maybe even a kiddy pool?

I just think there could have been a whole lot more. I appreciate the treehouse, the sleeping bags, the costumes, and such, though. Soo, thanks EA. You did something right.
Test Subject
#25 Old 9th May 2012 at 2:22 AM
Default What Do You Love and Hate About Generations?
Well mostly I love everything about generations, I think it's one of my favorite Eps. (It's a tie between that, Ambitions, and Showtime) But I don't care for the scolding part. At first it was awfully funny, but now it just gets in the way. Such as my sim would be slightly late for school and one of their parents would make them even later by scolding them. I also have a love-hate relationship on the Imaginary friends. They are cute, yet just so creepy at the same time. And my Sims always feel the need to only play with the IF instead of items around the house to play with. I love the boarding school feature and the after school programs, it's a great way for my Sims to learn extra skills, and sorta figure out what they will do as a Young-Adult. One of the things I wish EA would have added was a wedding type party, you know how they have birthday parties and etc. It would have made a lot of sense if they had one of those and a wedding type community lot. I also feel like generations had something for each age stage, unlike most of the EPs that come out. :D
Page 1 of 3