Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Apr 2005 at 7:07 AM Last edited by tiggerypum : 20th May 2006 at 6:09 PM. Reason: clarification regarding editing of the meshes
Default A fix for Wings3D Exploding meshes.
OK.

If you are anything like me, then you probably hate to edit meshes in milkshape.

And, if you tried using Wings3D when doing the "Tutorial: MTS2 Mesh Tool Clothing (now with pics)" tutorial and the model looked as it exploded inside Sims then you can give this little application a try.

I did not make a compleate setup for the app, I just put the exe in a zip archive.
You must of course have the .NET framework installed but if SimsPE works on your computer you allready have it so it should just be a matter of unzipping it and doubleclick it to run.

I will make a proper setup when I get the time.

Using this app should also mean less problem with the normals as the original normals are 'reused'. In some case though, if say a dress has been edited and a vertice is moved a new averaged normal would have been better for just that vertice. However, reusing the normals is alot better than importing bad normals for all vertices.

If needed I might add options for how to handle the normals later on.

You should at least use Wings3D version 0.98.26b.

The application might work together with other applications as well (if it does or not has to do with the precision of coordinates) so you can allways try it if you have problems with exploding meshes using another 3D application.

Edit by Tiggerypum:

Just a note - this will only work with MESHTOOL, use the MESHTOOL variation of the tutorial found here . With Meshtool you can only move vertices, do not add, delete, or do anything but 'move' them (scale and rotate are also fine). Also do not move the vertices past joints, or your sim will not animate well in the game.

-- end edit
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Vertice Mapper.zip (10.5 KB, 2060 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#2 Old 18th Apr 2005 at 8:08 AM Last edited by HellBorn : 18th Apr 2005 at 8:17 AM.
Ooops...
I have put some helpful 'help boxes' that will show up when any of the commands in the program is run (unless deactivated). I did however forget one that tells you where to start ...

When you get to step 29 (just before the import if you want to use my recommended import settings) in the tutorial.
Run the applications 'Create remap file' command and follow the instructions.

When your done with step 31 (just befor the export if you did use my recommended settings).
Run the 'Remap vertices' command and follow the instructions before you continue.
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 11th Mar 2006 at 9:42 PM
Default Thanks for all your hard work!
Thank you thank you thank you! It WORKED! I love Wings 3D but have wanted to do clothing and hair for some time. I can't afford Milkshape, and didn't like it when I tried it out for free anyway. Your little utility here made possible my first clothing mesh. See the pic:
here

“Meddle not in the affairs of the dragon; for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.”
-unknown
Field Researcher
#4 Old 11th Mar 2006 at 11:56 PM
Thanks! I will try it! I also gave up clothing, but I love Wings. Now I will try again!
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 20th May 2006 at 1:12 PM
Thanks, thanks, thanks!!!

Dont' forget to press the Thanks button. Thanks!

Sims2Good Cloudy seaside mood

Don't include my content (in lots, sims...) but to MTS2, including a link to my thread.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 27th Jul 2006 at 1:25 AM
Default Key allready exits?
I keep getting something that says "key aready exists", and "shold not happen to the welded file? Aborting!" comes up also. What does this mean?
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#8 Old 9th Feb 2007 at 9:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Spencer
Could you show me a PIX of an exspolded mesh

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=170493

KABOOM!!!

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
#9 Old 11th Feb 2007 at 6:16 AM
Having some problems. I followed a tutorial to the letter but when I went to see the mesh in Bodyshop the head was normal but the body was lying on the floor. I also used this Vertical Mapper.

Can someone tell me where I went wrong?
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#10 Old 11th Feb 2007 at 6:25 AM
In infocenter/faq

Mesh: is Laying Down in Bodyshop
http://www.modthesims2.com/article.php?t=131397

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Test Subject
#11 Old 11th Feb 2007 at 6:34 AM
Thanks a lot
Instructor
#12 Old 18th Feb 2007 at 7:16 PM
I dont get it do u mean we can use hair meshing in Wings 3d? (hope its yes)
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#13 Old 18th Feb 2007 at 7:42 PM
As stated by Tiggerypum's edit in the first post, Wings 3D can only be used to do Meshtool edits to Body Shop meshes - that is, generally minor edits like fatter/skinnier bodies and slight lengthening/shortening of some things. I would not tend to recommend it for use with hair meshes as you cannot change bone assignments in it, and hair heavily depends on correct bone assignments to animate properly.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Instructor
#14 Old 20th Mar 2007 at 2:25 PM Last edited by $RaMRoM$ : 20th Mar 2007 at 2:30 PM. Reason: want to ask a quistion!
hey thanks... I did the tutorial and used the vertice mapper thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!

here is my pic:

and did u create that app yourself?!!!
Test Subject
#15 Old 24th Apr 2007 at 12:56 PM
Maybe this is a silly question, but how can you import your file? If I click on file--> open, you must open a pdf-file, but my file is obj. I downloaded Vertice Mapper, but on the second step I don't know what to do. I can't find a little box or something. Please help me, I've got version 1.6.1.
(sorry if my English isn't correct, it's not my first language)
Instructor
#16 Old 24th Apr 2007 at 1:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by _-Rowena-_
Maybe this is a silly question, but how can you import your file? If I click on file--> open, you must open a pdf-file, but my file is obj. I downloaded Vertice Mapper, but on the second step I don't know what to do. I can't find a little box or something. Please help me, I've got version 1.6.1.
(sorry if my English isn't correct, it's not my first language)

well, where do u mean u cant import!? in Wings or The VMapper?
Test Subject
#17 Old 24th Apr 2007 at 5:26 PM
In Wings
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#18 Old 26th Apr 2007 at 4:31 AM
This is something odd. I do not use Wings, but Wings does read and write obj files.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Test Subject
#19 Old 26th Apr 2007 at 1:15 PM
If I open an obj file, I get this:
http://www.soep-R.nl/uploads/1177664260.png
I open at by file--> open. Or is there an other way to open that file?
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#20 Old 26th Apr 2007 at 6:24 PM
That's not Wings. You're reading the WINGS MANUAL with Adobe Acrobat. Look at the filename across the top. You need to run the actual program.

Test Subject
#21 Old 26th Apr 2007 at 6:44 PM
Can you tell me where you exactly can download it? Because on http://www.wings3d.com/ I don't know where I have to click.
(sorry for my english)
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#22 Old 26th Apr 2007 at 9:29 PM
Okay, so you have a manual that's supposed to teach you how to use it.

Go to that webpage - over on the left side

Latest Stable Rel: 0.98.32a (Most recent best Release)
underneath are links for the mac, win (windows), linux, source and notes

Click in WIN for the Windows PC version to download

Instructor
#23 Old 30th Apr 2007 at 12:34 PM Last edited by $RaMRoM$ : 30th Apr 2007 at 12:51 PM.
and umm Rowena you should choose the import action dont choose open, open will make it open as a *.wings file ONLY

EDIT
Just wanted to say if you didnt find the shortcut for wings then click start then run and insert this:
C:\Program Files\wings3d_0.98.36\Wings3D.exe
Then you will have two programs opening:
  • Erlang: The processor{leave it open}
  • Wings3D: The Program!

hope i helped! :D

End Of EDIT
Test Subject
#24 Old 7th Jul 2007 at 7:37 PM
I'm having trouble with this, it says that 'key dont exist. the key from the orginal file was not found among the new keys. Aborting!'.

I don't have a clue to what happened, I followed the instructions from the beginning tutorial for making meshes. I don't like milkshape, and have learned wings 3d and blender. I hoping someone can help with this, since I'd really like to make things for my game.
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 17th Sep 2007 at 8:29 AM Last edited by WykydSyn : 19th Sep 2007 at 8:05 PM.
Thanks so much for this app. It was strange because after editing my mesh and exporting it from Wings 3d, meshtool was giving me some runtime error when I was trying to import my obj file. Then I used your mapper, and tried it again and voila! no error from meshtool and my mesh is working great! Thanks so much for this!

EDIT:: (9.19.07) Alright, I'm getting annoyed. The first time I ever ran trough the meshing tut and used the vertice mapper, everything went fine. But now I'm getting huge blobs of silver imported into my game. I'm following all of the directions on the "help boxes" on this app, and I keep getting these "key already exists" promtps a lot now. I was messing with it last nite and I don't know what I did, but it finally created the remap file for me, and everything else went smoothly. But I'm continually running into that error when trying to import my export into my remap. I'm not doing anything differently than the very first time I used this app. Something's going terribly wrong because my meshes are turning into huge silver blobs (looks like molten metal). Wings 3d doesn't import right AT ALL if I don't use the remapper, but the remapper's not working right either. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong this time around, but I'm following the directions to a T

Creating the remapper
1) I import the mesh I want to edit (say "body1")
2) Then I save it as a temp file (say "body1_temp")
3) I then import the file I JUST saved (right?, which would be "body1_temp") into Wings 3D using the suggested settings
4)I then export it using the suggested settings (say as body1_exported - just so I don't get all the files confused)
5) Then this is where it all goes wrong. It asks me to import the file I just created into the remapper. Now is this wanting me to import "body1_exported"? When I do click on that, that's when I get the "Key already exists" error prompt. Last night, I did these steps over and over and over again and yet I always got that prompt. So on step 4 I named it something totally different (like "shortdress1") then went on to step 5 and it worked fine. I've tried this today (naming it something complteley different) and I'm still getting these errors. So I don't know what I fianlly did last night to make it work.

Fixing the vertice gives me no errors (and these errors are happening before I even edit anything). If I don't use this remapper, meshtool won't let me import my obj file (like after I've edited, saved and exported) because it says I'm missing the UV coordinates or something.

I'm getting frustrated. If you see something I'm doing wrong, please let me know. I can't imagine what's going wrong.

Thanks

visit my website: subKitten
Page 1 of 2