Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Canning Station Overhaul [UPDATE: Aug 2 2016]

by Butterbot Posted 28th Jul 2016 at 10:34 AM - Updated 28th Apr 2018 at 5:06 AM by Butterbot : Content

207 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 109 Feedback Posts, 97 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 6 of 9
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#126 Old 12th Dec 2016 at 7:39 AM
I love this overhaul mod so much, adding the canning station to every world I play is now a must. Thank you!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#127 Old 12th Dec 2016 at 8:13 PM
This Mod needs an award of its own. Thank You its absolutely fantastic :)
Lab Assistant
#128 Old 8th Jan 2017 at 3:23 PM Last edited by Mimi_Sardinia : 24th Jan 2017 at 3:14 AM.
If you have any reason to do any further changes on this at any time, I would ask that you do a small name change on a couple of the jams - orange and pomelo jam seem like they would do better being renamed marmalade. I'd also personally say lemon marmalade should be renamed lemon curd instead, but that is a personal preference because while I believe lemon marmalade is possible, lemon curd is something I actually see available in shops and recipes about.

Also, an added "jam" - Corn Relish, and "Pecan Jam"? How about Pecan Butter?.

Also, making preserves available for the three mushrooms. Can you believe they can't be preserved? And while I'm on mushrooms, mushroom ketchup. It's an older sauce, but it existed.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#129 Old 22nd Jan 2017 at 11:35 PM
I absolutely LOVE this! It also works well with the Cook With Any Ingredient mod. If you ever want to update this, I'd love to see some more adds like Potato Mash, Pumpkin Butter, and Pico de Gallo (onion)
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
THANKS POST
#130 Old 23rd Jan 2017 at 9:51 AM
I downloaded this ages ago but did not install it until recently because I wanted to check out the default station first - which, somehow, I never found the right opportunity to do. Our recent discussion on the "Germy" moodlet finally prompted me to install it now anyway and I am thoroughly impressed.
I play a beekeeping Sim especially for this and he's now got more honey spread and candles than he can possibly use up in his life time

Thank you, thank you for this amazing mod!
#131 Old 23rd Jan 2017 at 9:59 AM
I didn't want to ruin my thanks post with this so please forgive me the double posting. I do have one minor issue with the slots on the station, though. The jars seem to sit a bit too low on them. I can see the bottom of the jars sinking through the shelves.
Lab Assistant
#132 Old 3rd Feb 2017 at 9:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Butterbot
@Akin_

Take a look at these two earlier comments: here and here.

Hope this helps!

Thanks!
Instructor
Original Poster
#133 Old 3rd Feb 2017 at 11:21 PM Last edited by Butterbot : 3rd Feb 2017 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Typo
@Don Babilon

Sorry for the late reply; I'm subscribed to this thread and somehow still managed to miss your post.

With regard to how the jars sit, whether on the canning station or other surfaces, the issue seems to be with where EA set the origin of the jar mesh. The jars sit low on virtually all surfaces/shelves, with the underneath of the jar visible if the shelf is thin enough, just as you described. I suspect that EA might have made the jars a bit too tall and/or wanted them to be "cut off" very squarely at the bottom to achieve a certain shape, and accidentally or purposefully set the mesh origin higher into the geometry of the mesh (instead of being flush with the bottom of the jar) so that the jars sink into the surfaces they're sitting on. I did consider moving the slots on the canning station higher up to compensate, but that would have made the jars look different than they would everywhere else, and other objects would have appeared to float when put on the canning station. An alternative would be to change the origin point on the jar mesh itself, but that would destroy its squat, squared-bottom look and possibly interfere with some animations.
#134 Old 3rd Feb 2017 at 11:48 PM
Ah, no problem then. I should have played with that thing vanilla first, I guess.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#135 Old 20th Feb 2017 at 2:05 AM
I can't even express how much I love this. I've spent countless hours canning and preserving food. I make my farmers endure long winters living off the canned goods they made the rest of the year. This has added SO much gameplay. I don't know if it's possible for someone to create a canning station in TS4, but I REALLY hope something like this comes to 4. I keep going back to 3 just because I need this mod in my life. I have the other mod which you can choose your own ingredients and name your dishes. That has added another level of awesomeness to this canning station overhaul. Thank you so much!

Edit to say: I LOVE the Double Boiled Ginseng Soup! I actually look forward to my sims getting sick now..lol. I always have some jars of it packed in crates for just such an occasion.
Instructor
Original Poster
#136 Old 20th Feb 2017 at 5:25 AM
@sagerainwillow

Thanks for the kind comment! Glad you enjoy the mod so much (I'm pretty proud of the Ginseng Broth ). I use the pick-your-own-ingredients mod too--it's really great. There's something extra satisfying about opening a ration that was made from a meal with customized ingredients.

Own Grandma's Canning Station? Check out the Canning Station Overhaul.
Like doing laundry? Check out the Infinite Laundry Buffs Fix.
MTS2 Hot Pepper
#137 Old 25th Feb 2017 at 11:39 AM
Honey Spread soon is getting a PuTRID quality and the color of this words means it's not that good.

there is SO much fun with that object.
very amusing to create and try new jars

Currently playing Sims 4 full collection. (and fixing my mods folder)
Test Subject
#138 Old 2nd Mar 2017 at 1:46 AM
Im new to modding my games, and this is my first download. Idk if i downloaded it wrong or i just cant find the canning station. Where can i find the canning station in build/buy?
Instructor
Original Poster
#139 Old 2nd Mar 2017 at 4:07 AM
@supersid33

The canning station can be found in Sort by Room -> Kitchen -> Stoves. Note that you need to have the actual TS3 Store item installed for it to appear--this mod does not include the object itself.
Field Researcher
THANKS POST
#140 Old 3rd Mar 2017 at 9:33 AM
I just wanted to report a dumb glitch that happened in my game. My sim would reset every time I tried to eat toast or scone, they reset right after they finish preparing the meal. I thought this mod caused it and uninstalled and the problem was still there so I thought my save (didn't happen with new game) was corrupted somehow. Turns out it was the stupid counter. Just buy a different counter and/or change the kitchen arrangement if you're having this problem.

Anyway! I love this mod and now I can finally use it for my post apocalyptic world, where people live in an underground bunker and ration out food depending on contribution to the team. No work no food! Yay, thank you!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#141 Old 8th Mar 2017 at 8:00 PM
Well, I finally bit the bullet and added mods to my game thanks to your canning station. It's going to be awesome!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#142 Old 11th Mar 2017 at 4:08 PM
Just ran across this mod. Thank you. I've always loved playing with this canning station and now it should be more fun.
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#143 Old 25th Mar 2017 at 3:09 AM
Posting in case anyone else has this issue. I was pulling my hair out because this mod wasn't working and I couldn't figure out why. Everything was in the right place, I didn't have the StoreFix file, I put in a new ccmerged.package, reinstalled the canning station, switched folders, and nothing worked. My problem was that I used Delphy's Multi Installer to install the canning station. Even though I placed this mod in the overrides folder, it didn't work. I deleted the files from the multi installer and used the launcher to install the decrapified file (using Compressorizer Redux), moved this mod to the packages folder, and it works now! Looking forward to playing with this mod!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#144 Old 26th Mar 2017 at 5:53 AM
Is the canning station still available? I couldn't find it listed on the sims website.
Instructor
Original Poster
#145 Old 26th Mar 2017 at 5:57 AM
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#146 Old 30th Apr 2017 at 11:46 PM
This is awesome!!!
Test Subject
#147 Old 2nd May 2017 at 5:32 PM
Hi Butterbot! This mod does not work for me unfortunately. Everytime I click on a jar, action just resets. I had this problem before I downloaded your mod, so it didn't really help..I have version 1.69, mods installed: store decrapfixes, nointro and mastercontroller. What can be an issue here? Hope you can help! Take care
Instructor
Original Poster
#148 Old 2nd May 2017 at 9:26 PM
@sitkosia

Hiya! Sorry to hear that the canning station is giving your trouble. If the jars were resetting prior to this mod, this issue is almost certainly unrelated to the mod. The fixes in this mod are meant to address bugs in how EA implemented the canning station. These problems would be present even in a completely normal install of the canning station and affect every player who uses the object. The fact that jar resets are not widely reported points to an issue with your particular install of the canning station, which would not be resolved by the mod.

It would be best to make sure that the canning station works in your game (EA bugs and all) before installing this mod. My suggestion at this point would be to delete all instances of the canning station and its jars from your savegame (or better yet, start a new game), remove the mod, and reinstall the canning station by itself. If you're using a decrapped version of the canning station, check that the Store fixes are installed correctly (are other decrapped objects in your game working as expected?). Re-installing the canning station as a .sims3pack might be a solution of all else fails.

Hope this helps!
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#149 Old 22nd May 2017 at 2:03 PM
Thanks so much for this mod! Its wonderful. I do have a question. Would it be possible to make another version that only takes 1 meal to make a ration instead of 3? And also to make it so you get back 3 fruits, etc when opening a jar (since you used 3 when canning). Thanks again!
Instructor
Original Poster
#150 Old 24th May 2017 at 3:38 PM
@whispersftly

Thanks for the kind comment!

Quote: Originally posted by whispersftly
Would it be possible to make another version that only takes 1 meal to make a ration instead of 3?

This is feasible from a technical perspective. In fact, I did consider implementing rations in such a way as to accept an arbitrary number of meals, but chose to follow EA's lead (of requiring three items) for simplicity's sake.

Quote: Originally posted by whispersftly
And also to make it so you get back 3 fruits, etc when opening a jar (since you used 3 when canning).

Assuming this is with regard to making preserves, you should get three jars of preserves back for the three ingredients you put into the canning station (this is default EA behaviour and has not been changed by this mod). Each jar contains one ingredient, so you should be getting back what you put in.

Hope this helps.
Page 6 of 9