Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Jul 2017 at 12:18 PM
Default Changing Voices?
Hello all,

I was searching around my sims data folders when I found a few packages in TSData/Res/Sound called Voice1, Voice2, and Voice6. These package files contain mp3 files, which I'm guessing are the audio recordings of the voice actors for sims 2. I was able to extract the mp3 files using SimPe, but my computer was unable to play them. I was just wondering if anyone else has explored these packages/ the possibility of changing sims voices entirely (so not just copying the voice codes in SimPE from a sim whose voice you like). Wouldn't it be cool if people could record their own voices to put in the game? XD All advice/thoughts are welcome~
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 26th Jul 2017 at 12:59 PM
You'll probably need to use EALayer to decode the files: https://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=EALayer3

A few people have made custom sounds for TS2, but it's very labour-intensive, unfortunately. Recording a full set of voice clips would take even more work! But in principle I think it's doable, if you can get your head round the codecs required.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 27th Jul 2017 at 4:26 AM
Thanks!
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
You'll probably need to use EALayer to decode the files: https://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php?title=EALayer3

A few people have made custom sounds for TS2, but it's very labour-intensive, unfortunately. Recording a full set of voice clips would take even more work! But in principle I think it's doable, if you can get your head round the codecs required.

Thank you so much for replying! \(^0^)/
I had no idea EALayer even existed, so I'll have to do some research to figure this out XD I tried to use it for a bit today but no luck ;-( I read up on other game forums which use the tool, but most were for converting things to the ealayer3 file format, or converting the snr format. I am able to make custom sounds for Sims 2, but I've never worked too extensively with sound files before ;-) Anyway, thanks again for sharing your knowledge with me~