Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 5:52 PM
Default Is there an easier way to sort out and clean my download folder?
I just want to view the images of the clothes and hairstyles so I can get started on cleaning up my folder after i'm done playing through some generations. I have a lot of mods,objects and housing stuff that would need some sorting and cleaning because some of the objects have a blue flashing texture on them for some reason,duplicates of the same outfits and missing or broken meshes. After i'm done I would just go through a painstaking journey of dealing with old Sims 2 Custom Content websites that are now either up for sale, is a completely different website,error messages and accounts that no longer have the files that I wanted. It could get annoying because you may have a texture of the file you wanted but the mesh for it is now lost when the websites closed down.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 8:20 PM
I recommend this method for cleaning out objects and other lot-related CC.
http://sushigal007.tumblr.com/post/...-your-downloads
Mad Poster
#3 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 10:18 PM
For bodyshop content I strongly recommend CatOfEvilGenius's wonderful program that can add the filename of a package as a tooltip, so that when you mouse over something in bodyshop you get the name of the package, which makes it easy to find. Doesn't help with locating meshes, but to me it's essential for cleaning and organizing.

You can get it here

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 10th Dec 2017 at 10:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gummilutt
For bodyshop content I strongly recommend CatOfEvilGenius's wonderful program that can add the filename of a package as a tooltip, so that when you mouse over something in bodyshop you get the name of the package, which makes it easy to find. Doesn't help with locating meshes, but to me it's essential for cleaning and organizing.

You can get it here

I'm not too worried about the meshes. Just the ones with duplicates of the same outfits,clothes and hairs that are missing one and the ones that look half done. I could also take some folders out to narrow down the search and reduce load time for bodyshop. Thank you for the link it would sure come in handy when I get around to cleaning up my download folder.
Quote: Originally posted by Prah
I recommend this method for cleaning out objects and other lot-related CC.
http://sushigal007.tumblr.com/post/...-your-downloads

Thank you for the information. I actually cleaned up my folder before using Sims2Pack Clean Installer and it took me forever to delete all the duplicates.
Alchemist
#5 Old 11th Dec 2017 at 10:46 PM
about closed sites; sometimes the Wayback Machine site could help.
about Clean Installer; a content browser also gets installed. generally a shortcut on the desktop; or if not there, click on "Start" then on "Programs" then on "Sims2Pack Clean Installer".

another program; the main site had a program called Content Manager.
downloadable through Wayback Machine version of site; and/or through various current sites.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 13th Dec 2017 at 12:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mdsb759
about closed sites; sometimes the Wayback Machine site could help.
about Clean Installer; a content browser also gets installed. generally a shortcut on the desktop; or if not there, click on "Start" then on "Programs" then on "Sims2Pack Clean Installer".

another program; the main site had a program called Content Manager.
downloadable through Wayback Machine version of site; and/or through various current sites.

The Wayback Machine is very helpful to recover old websites. The only problem though is that it doesn't always the save the files correctly so you may get a corrupted file or no file at all other then that it's extremely useful especially you start to feel nostalgic about old websites designs and sites that closed down a long time ago.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 13th Dec 2017 at 1:04 AM
You could also think about starting from scratch just keeping things that you know that you want. Some of the best cc has been coming out in the last few years because creators and graphic cards got better.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#8 Old 13th Dec 2017 at 4:12 AM
My current system of keeping an out-of-game archive and then starting an all new Downloads folder when creating new 'hoods began because it was easier to start fresh than clean up the mess I'd made of my Downloads. Before I got rid of the old, though, I packaged a few lots with the cc I wanted to keep and use in my new game. I then zipped the whole mess and moved it to external storage. Some of it I have sorted and added to my more organized archive, but most of it is still a mess of poorly named and unorganized cc that I should probably just delete (it's been 2 years and I don't miss it).

For finding cc that you used to have, the WCIF section here may be able to help if you have the file names or any images of the things you are looking for. Even if the site the cc originally came from no longer exists, someone may know where to find the files.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 13th Dec 2017 at 1:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
You could also think about starting from scratch just keeping things that you know that you want. Some of the best cc has been coming out in the last few years because creators and graphic cards got better.

Well that's nice to know. Do you know of any places that I could download from that still makes content for Sims 2?
Quote: Originally posted by stitching
My current system of keeping an out-of-game archive and then starting an all new Downloads folder when creating new 'hoods began because it was easier to start fresh than clean up the mess I'd made of my Downloads. Before I got rid of the old, though, I packaged a few lots with the cc I wanted to keep and use in my new game. I then zipped the whole mess and moved it to external storage. Some of it I have sorted and added to my more organized archive, but most of it is still a mess of poorly named and unorganized cc that I should probably just delete (it's been 2 years and I don't miss it).

For finding cc that you used to have, the WCIF section here may be able to help if you have the file names or any images of the things you are looking for. Even if the site the cc originally came from no longer exists, someone may know where to find the files.

Thanks I'll keep that in mind but I probably don't need to because since i'm such a hoarder I keep pretty much all the files on my hard drives. Although if I do have some questions I will of course post them here,
Mad Poster
#10 Old 13th Dec 2017 at 5:46 PM
Well, there's the one you're on, for starters. And many creators who upload here also upload to Garden of Shadows, their own websites (traditional or tumblr), or other community forums, so when you find a creator you like you might look at their profiles and sigs. Creators will also credit the people whose work they're building on and those who taught them to do stuff, so check the acknowledgement section, also.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 13th Dec 2017 at 9:32 PM
Still know places? Oh my you must have been away, sims 2 creators are alive and well and pumping out content, but mostly here, GOS, Sims2Artists,leefish,Plumbbobkeep, Affinitysims and their own blogs/Tumblr. Lots of conversions of sims 3/4 stuff to sims 2. Clothes, hair, furniture, the all in one shower.

People are modding all kinds of cool things.

We now have all kinds of new 'work benches' from PBK, bees, crops, reed hand made furniture, cows, goats, trees that grow, mining rocks and more.
Chris Hatch who is still on here has made working bus stops, day care, buyable baby clothes. (Moonlight dragon is the place to go for baby clothes, hair and accessories) Gadayrs on here with some other people as part of a group has made a toddler car and piano and she has all kinds of things lined up.

Sims2 cave is the place to go register at and check the sims 2 find area every few days. http://simscave.mustbedestroyed.org...php?board=172.0
Get yourself over there and really don't hang on to any old crap. Not saying all old stuff is crap but crunchy blurry really old cc, just toss it because something simialr but better would have been made.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 14th Dec 2017 at 4:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Still know places? Oh my you must have been away, sims 2 creators are alive and well and pumping out content, but mostly here, GOS, Sims2Artists,leefish,Plumbbobkeep, Affinitysims and their own blogs/Tumblr. Lots of conversions of sims 3/4 stuff to sims 2. Clothes, hair, furniture, the all in one shower.

People are modding all kinds of cool things.

We now have all kinds of new 'work benches' from PBK, bees, crops, reed hand made furniture, cows, goats, trees that grow, mining rocks and more.
Chris Hatch who is still on here has made working bus stops, day care, buyable baby clothes. (Moonlight dragon is the place to go for baby clothes, hair and accessories) Gadayrs on here with some other people as part of a group has made a toddler car and piano and she has all kinds of things lined up.

Sims2 cave is the place to go register at and check the sims 2 find area every few days. http://simscave.mustbedestroyed.org...php?board=172.0
Get yourself over there and really don't hang on to any old crap. Not saying all old stuff is crap but crunchy blurry really old cc, just toss it because something simialr but better would have been made.
Thanks so much for telling me to find some awesome great new content content made by some of the most talented artists and 3d modelers. I have so much stuff that I built up over the years that it takes a long time to load all the outfits up whenever I decide to delete the caches and thumbnails. It's such a shame that a lot of great stuff that was made back in the Sims 2 heydays are now lost to the hands of time.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 14th Dec 2017 at 6:01 AM
A lot of it is to do with new graphic cards, they show a lot more detail so CC has never looked better but conversely all the flaws too. Even the best creators couldn't make clothes or hair as good as what is being made now as the cards simply didn't allow it. Even items that I loved I have mostly tossed since they look really bad in game next to new items. Kind of like the graphic difference between sims 1 and sims 2, no comparison. Some old items have been brought back to life though with some remapping, recolouring and tweaking. GOS recently did a low poly theme.

~Call me Jo~