Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Aug 2013 at 6:35 PM Last edited by Fluffy Puff : 8th Aug 2013 at 8:21 PM.
Geforce GTX 650 and Sims 3
I saw that the Geforce GTX 650 would work with the Sims 3 and all its expansions. This card fits that description, doesn't it? I didn't see it listed for the Sims 2. Will it work for that?
Advertisement
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#2 Old 8th Aug 2013 at 6:40 PM
It will work fine for TS2. Personally I would want something stronger for TS3, but if you're happy with middling performance and it's within your budget, go for it.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Aug 2013 at 6:46 PM Last edited by Fluffy Puff : 8th Aug 2013 at 7:01 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
It will work fine for TS2. Personally I would want something stronger for TS3, but if you're happy with middling performance and it's within your budget, go for it.

What would be better for performance around the same price range? I thought this one would be good since it's listed in the green. If it's only middling, why's it in the green?
Scholar
#4 Old 8th Aug 2013 at 7:59 PM
You get what you pay for usually with graphic cards. If you want something more powerful, you have to keep your eyes open for specials or get ready to pay more.

When a card is listed in as Green in the TS3 system requirements page it only means that it should run the game/expansion. It doesn't say at all how well it will run it. If it's listed as "Maybe" then it means it might run or might not run the expansion. If it's listed as "No" it means we're pretty sure it won't run at all. The GTX 650 Ti Boost that you linked to on amazon is better than the GTX 650. You should get okay performance with it. Just make sure your graphics card, motherboard and screen are compatible with the new card before you buy it.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#5 Old 8th Aug 2013 at 8:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ajaxsirius
When a card is listed in as Green in the TS3 system requirements page it only means that it should run the game/expansion. It doesn't say at all how well it will run it. If it's listed as "Maybe" then it means it might run or might not run the expansion. If it's listed as "No" it means we're pretty sure it won't run at all. The GTX 650 Ti Boost that you linked to on amazon is better than the GTX 650. You should get okay performance with it. Just make sure your graphics card, motherboard and screen are compatible with the new card before you buy it.

Ah, okay. What does "okay" performance look like? I was able to play Sims 3 mostly smoothly on my laptop even with my measly little chip. Surely the game will run at least as smoothly with the card, won't it (unless something goes wrong with the PC, since the card is going on that instead of the laptop)? How about minecraft, Portal, and Portal 2? Am I looking at a lot of lag in the future?
Scholar
#6 Old 9th Aug 2013 at 4:47 AM
It depends on what graphics you have on your laptop, but its most likely that this card is better than what you have on your laptop. I think you should be able to play Portal 2 on medium settings at least, but I don't have the card myself and it will depend on what kind of CPU & RAM you are using as well.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 15th Aug 2013 at 5:04 AM
I recommend GTX 650ti boost or Radeon HD 7850 for 1920 x 1080 resolution.
For lower resolution like 1366 x 768 Radeon HD 7770 is more than enough.