Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#76 Old 9th Oct 2017 at 6:09 AM Last edited by jje1000 : 9th Oct 2017 at 6:26 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Wow-Princess
Seasons added so much gameplay!! Like for starters, SEASONS, and how the Central Park became like a parade or something. I always would visit it to try all the new activities and to win stuff.

Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
You think the ultramodern furniture from ITF is tacky, but you think the seasonal lots from Seasons are okay? Sure....

The Seasonal lots were clunky (no great UI to deal with it) but amazing for the ability to create completely different lots at different times of the year.It doesn't even need to be specifically Seasons-related- it can just be different states (i.e. space ship delivery, different vendors/merchants, annual fairs).

Quote: Originally posted by mithrak_nl
TS3 is not that complex anymore compared to some other modern games. It is just an unoptimized mess and I can understand why the OP got annoyed with those loading times.

TS3 is far from perfect and you can expect that new players might get (imo understandably) annoyed about how bad it runs out of the box if you install several expansions.

Sure, the OP was ranting and for a large part about things that are simply done differently compared to TS2. But I agree with the OP that TS3 loading times are ridiculous. Modded Minecraft for example can be longer, but then it's basegame is tiny compared to a decent modpack and the complete result is basically hold together with ductape and strings. TS3 is supposed to be a professional job though :/ It is also one of the few games I know where community made mods are quite needed to optimise and prevent savegame bloating. It is that bad. (Still my favourite sims, but not because of how it runs).

TS3 is a great game, but a shitty piece of software! There, I said it! It is the first step on the road of recovery

Yup, TS3 is clunky and poorly integrated (still haven't forgiven them for the awful implementation of celebrities/bands/showtime and general lack of polish compared to TS2), but in terms of user tools like CAW, CaSt and the open world- there's literally no other game that comes close in how open it is for people to create their own ways of gameplay (medieval, space, island survival, legacy, etc.) and customization.

Of course, there are many ways of managing these issues, like NRaas (remember to hide recolors of the same clothing in CAS!), avoiding unecessary expansions like ITF & Showtime, and avoiding excessive CC- but the more content you have, the more lag.
Advertisement
Scholar
#77 Old 9th Oct 2017 at 1:59 PM Last edited by Elynda : 9th Oct 2017 at 2:14 PM.
The first time I experienced inordinately long loading times was after I installed Pets, and that was before I had any mods or cc. Appaloosa Plains took so long to load that I almost gave up on it, thinking it would never load. And I would then have to use Task Manager to shut the game down. It was only when I got called away, mid load, to attend to some real life business, that I came back a couple of hours later to see that it had finally loaded. So I can't say how long it actually did take! I don't play that world very much, although I am using a far better computer now.

As for Nraas: I don't think I would still be playing Sims 3 without Master Controller, Overwatch, Retuner or Debug Enabler.

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Simblr: Elyndaworld *** Wordpress: Tales of Nantrelor
Mad Poster
#78 Old 9th Oct 2017 at 10:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Elynda
... I came back a couple of hours later to see that it had finally loaded...

Yikes! You must have some bad CC? I have played Sims since release and on my old Pentium 4 the worst load time ever was 20 minutes in 2 when I had 40000 CC items. In 3 my load time is just a few minutes.
Mad Poster
#79 Old 9th Oct 2017 at 10:30 PM
I once had a world that took nearly 15 minutes to load, a long time ago. Needless to say, that world couldn't hold my interest for very long before I binned it (and my entire game install as well).
Nowadays, my Bridgeport takes 5-ish minutes to load on a bad day. My slightly lighter Bridgeport 1988 takes closer to two minutes.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Lab Assistant
#80 Old 10th Oct 2017 at 2:37 AM
My laptop:
Intel Celeron CPU 847 1.10Ghz
4GB RAM
Intel HD Graphics
Windows 7 64-bit

Mods folder: 525 files
No sims3packs.
Nraas MC, Register, Retuner, Overwatch, Traveler, ErrorTrap.
18 minutes to load (load screen + world). Funny thing: In 3 years using this crappy computer, I had error 12 only twice.
Mad Poster
#81 Old 10th Oct 2017 at 3:13 AM
I had error 12 for about a month now and then on my laptop years ago. Usually if I went back in and made some tiny change on a lot such as moving a tree or bush a tad over it then would save. I have not had it on my newer PC thank goodness.
Scholar
#82 Old 10th Oct 2017 at 3:59 AM
That's been my experience with error 12 too. In fact zooming out into map view and then going into buy mode for a few seconds seems to do the trick. It works about 99% of the time. On one occasion when that didn't work, and I was anxious not to lose all the progress I'd made, I played on till after 3.00 am, when Overwatch did its nightly clean up, and then tried saving again - it worked.

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Simblr: Elyndaworld *** Wordpress: Tales of Nantrelor
Site Helper
#83 Old 10th Oct 2017 at 4:03 AM
Just for the record, you -can- tell Overwatch to do a cleanup early.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Theorist
#84 Old 10th Oct 2017 at 8:14 PM Last edited by tangie0906 : 10th Oct 2017 at 8:32 PM.
Laughing at these load time complaints. I had lots of mods, and my laptop may have been sub-par (no idea since it wasn't until TS3 that I learned what a good PC looked like!), but it took my original Sims 1 game 45 minutes to load. I don't think TS2 was quite that bad but my game didn't load immediately, either.

My current PC has a 500GB SSD which I loaded the game and all my saves on. It's made a big difference. Loads in a few minutes. But I've never really minded the wait so much since for me the game has always been worth it. Yes it's not optimized and buggy but it's also packed with lots of content and CC so it's definitely a trade-off.

I have a relatively high-end desktop PC that I bought last December but actually got an error 12 the other day when playing. This was in Lucky Palms where I'm playing 8 sims attending college there on a large custom made dorm (I plopped this Uni lot down), and went through lots of stuff with those 8 sims but forgot to save my game for nearly 2 sims days, so got the error 12. But I also started using CC Magic and have a huge crap ton of CC installed now. Totally player created error because if I'd give up some of that CC it would probably make a difference.

As for the original list of complaints, here are my two cents:
1.) Random zombies showing up to run EVERY &$*%(#* PLANT! >Like I said, I mod out the zombies but you can also set the moon to a static phase (they only spawn on a full moon)
2.) How hard it is to install cc. >Yeah, not so much.
3.) Every random date cancelling. > Not enough info to respond. What kind of dates? The lousy ones where NPCs call? Or the ones where you call sims busy doing other things?
4.) How long it takes to load. > Answered that one above
5.) You can't play multiple neighborhoods or houses without switching them and losing whatever. > Use mods or turn off Story Progression. Not going to work like TS2 but it does work.
6.) How many actions your sims perform that make them a turn off. > There are no turn-ons turn-offs in TS3 so no idea what you're referring to unless you mean their animations turn you off? Kinky.
7.) How much more needy they are (they get hot in certain clothes, etc.) > Getting hot is just a moodlet. Cancel it with ctrl-del keys or change their clothes!
8.) How you have to buy individual ingredients. > You can just click on frig and select food to make & game will auto buy the ingredients? I use a mod to make them buy ingredients so it's more challenging.
9.) How there were a limited number of lots. > All the games had a limited # of lots. But they did add a way to place your own lots; it's true that it's harder to do on hilly terrain but that also makes the worlds look
more interesting and realistic. Some worlds are easier than others when it comes to adding additional lots.

¢¾ Receptacle Refugee ¢¾ ~ Where are we going, and why am I in this handbasket!? ~
Laura's Legacy
Mad Poster
#85 Old 11th Oct 2017 at 3:24 AM
Damn. This thread really takes me back. I remember when TS3 first came out and almost all those complaints were still valid XD

EDIT: Wait a minute...

*looks at the date of the first post*

......QUE!?

The Receptacle still lives!
Mad Poster
#86 Old 11th Oct 2017 at 9:42 AM
That's what TS2 will do to ya. One day it's 2017, the other it's 2009.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Field Researcher
#87 Old 11th Oct 2017 at 10:35 AM
I'm trying to get into TS3 after getting bored with TS4 and missing little things that aren't in TS2. Honestly, most if not all issues you have with the game can be fixed with mods. I use Nraas Master Controller alongside other little mods that fix whatever, and it's a lot better. The only issue I have, and have always had, is how strange the sims look to me. There's just something "off" to me. Oh, and the genes. But once I'm past that, TS3 really is the most customizable of the series.

Even if you can't get the game how you want it with mods, just go back to TS2. There's no point in posting about it in TS3 forum where most people, you know, like The Sims 3- other than to get a rile out of people.
Lab Assistant
#88 Old 11th Oct 2017 at 1:58 PM
Pets added no new gameplay I was interested in, nor did Seasons, and Supernatural was pretty much a waste of space, time and money. I've had to get mods to get rid of all the unnecessary stuff these packs forced upon my game. And Into The Future shouldn't affect your performance, that's Island Paradise's job.
First off, Pets adds strays and wild animals. Lame I had a pet once, then never cared about it again.

The thing I hate about Pets is the sheer amount of lag it generates. I need the NRAAS mods to combat pet generation, the insanely huge pet pools, strays, wildlife (especially the creepy deer!) but the buy mode stuff I love so I can't bear to uninstall it.

Thanks, I hate it.
Top Secret Researcher
#89 Old 11th Oct 2017 at 3:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by floopyboo
The thing I hate about Pets is the sheer amount of lag it generates. I need the NRAAS mods to combat pet generation, the insanely huge pet pools, strays, wildlife (especially the creepy deer!) but the buy mode stuff I love so I can't bear to uninstall it.

Hi there floopyboo - The Service Pools normally do not really impact performance but other circumstances involving town population/animals could cause lag depending upon system capabilities. Register has a setting to stop wildlife being generated. For more tips scroll down to How Do I Reduce The Size Of Service Pools In The Town Management Document
Mad Poster
#90 Old 11th Oct 2017 at 4:05 PM

I can't uninstall any pack for that reason - I just love the stuff too much. Even Supernatural, which is a pack that I otherwise find completely useless and a waste of system resources.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#91 Old 11th Oct 2017 at 11:03 PM
That....that's my favorite pack....We can't be friends anymore, Grijze!

Mad Poster
#92 Old 11th Oct 2017 at 11:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lil bag2
That....that's my favorite pack....We can't be friends anymore, Grijze!

Then I guess we cannot. I would do a 48-hour PG-13 livestream of The Sims 4 long before I'd admit Supernatural to be anything but the unnecessary pile of childish and tediously presumptious crap that I consider it to be. Then again, I thought Showtime was quite alright so clearly I'm not the best judge of these sorts of things.

insert signature here
Lab Assistant
#93 Old 12th Oct 2017 at 12:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by barbarat
Hi there floopyboo - The Service Pools normally do not really impact performance but other circumstances involving town population/animals could cause lag depending upon system capabilities. Register has a setting to stop wildlife being generated. For more tips scroll down to How Do I Reduce The Size Of Service Pools In The Town Management Document

As I said in the bit I quoted, I already use NRAAS to do that. But I think that your reply will help other people too, who aren't as familiar with how to fiddle with NRAAS.

Thanks, I hate it.
Mad Poster
#94 Old 12th Oct 2017 at 2:44 AM
I would do a 48-hour PG-13 livestream of The Sims 4...

And I think I would actually buy a ticket to see that.
Top Secret Researcher
#95 Old 12th Oct 2017 at 2:57 AM
As I said in the bit I quoted, I already use NRAAS to do that. But I think that your reply will help other people too, who aren't as familiar with how to fiddle with NRAAS.

Oh, sorry @floopyboo. I did see where you needed NRaas mods but was not sure which one's you were using or perhaps there might have been more help to you in the link I provided
Lab Assistant
#96 Old 12th Oct 2017 at 5:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by barbarat
Oh, sorry @floopyboo. I did see where you needed NRaas mods but was not sure which one's you were using or perhaps there might have been more help to you in the link I provided

I'm unclear in my typing sometimes but I pretty much have the entire NRAAS suite because it knocks so many problems on the head. Your links are useful though, I'm sure somebody came along, saw my post and thought 'hey, that's me' and then saw your post and went 'and now I know how to fix it!'

Thanks, I hate it.
Mad Poster
#97 Old 12th Oct 2017 at 5:09 PM
Then I guess we cannot. I would do a 48-hour PG-13 livestream of The Sims 4 long before I'd admit Supernatural to be anything but the unnecessary pile of childish and tediously presumptious crap that I consider it to be.

I'm...actually okay with that. That would be the best live stream ever! I'll let Supernatural (#bestpack) take one for the team if we get you live streaming TS4 for 48 hours. Hell, as an added bonus, I'll let you talk shit about Island Paradise if the stream is a collab with Pirate_Wolf XD

Quote:
Then again, I thought Showtime was quite alright so clearly I'm not the best judge of these sorts of things.

....Clearly

Top Secret Researcher
#98 Old 12th Oct 2017 at 5:25 PM
But... half the time I like to play Supernatural - I try and give it a Hogwarts Wizarding World feel.

The other half of the time, I just want logic, bots and a science station. (Generations, ITF, and Uni)

(sigh) Wish there was a game starter for a Steam install. I wish I knew how the did that - messing with the registry? Renaming directories?

Still hoping for a $5 Sims Steam Fall Sale.
Mad Poster
#99 Old 12th Oct 2017 at 5:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lil bag2
I'm...actually okay with that. That would be the best live stream ever! I'll let Supernatural (#bestpack) take one for the team if we get you live streaming TS4 for 48 hours. Hell, as an added bonus, I'll let you talk shit about Island Paradise if the stream is a collab with Pirate_Wolf XD

I quite like the idea of me doing a 20-minute video about why I hate Supernatural so much, or a 6-part series about things I hate about TS4.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#100 Old 12th Oct 2017 at 7:49 PM
I'll take that six part series.

Page 4 of 5