Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
#76 Old 2nd Aug 2007 at 4:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by pieridae
Oh pffft.

I'm not so offended now that I know you work in corrections. That little finger wag icon just irks me. It's just that there's so much more to the world than people are willing to see...and it is endlessly frustrating to watch kids get slap on the wrist after slap on the wrist, and then watch society wonder why kids are getting into so much trouble. I truly believe we infantalize our teenagers, and ought to give them more credit. Of course, that means teens are expected to accept the consequences for their behavior, and too many people aren't ready for that. Don't even get me started on the lack of parenting skills these days...

I agree that the current system we have treats kids like crap (just not the people working within it!) We are the only industrialized nation that I know of that puts money for education at the bottom of the list. But that doesn't dismiss that what the kids did was wrong and a crime. I think it's important for people to know that not all sex offenders are the horrible scary people you see on Law and Order. In fact most aren't. Society's notion of who a sexual offender is is the biggest problem here that I can see. That seems to be what's bothering people...their notion of the big creepy sex offender pedophile man doesn't match the picture of a little boy smiling at the camera. But swatting multiple people on the butt who didn't want it done...that is sexual harrassment, and in my opinion sexual harrassment is not ever horseplay. So, you may not agree with the juvenile justice system in Oregon, but please don't use that to minimize what these boys did, which is what has bothered me so much about this whole debate.

:naughty: :D

I never directly addressed this case and did not even bother to read the link because it’s nothing new.

I did say that it takes a special person to work with these kids and while you come off sincere and caring about what you do you can only speak for yourself. The government gets what it pays for and a small amount of the time they get lucky but make no mistake, these kids are on the bottom of their priority list and the kids knows it, how can they not? We understand the deal and maybe, just maybe the government of the people, by the people, for the people, will one day grasp what it all means before it is to late. :busted: :salute:
Advertisement
#77 Old 2nd Aug 2007 at 7:20 AM
I guess...it's been a long week at work. I have a client, who I'll call boy. Boy is placed at the juvenile treatment facility where I work for harassing a female to date him, following her, pushing up against her at school, and finally, laying on top of her at a party. So, boy believes he has done nothing wrong, boy's mom believes he has done nothing wrong, and so on it goes. Boy's mom allegedly hunted this girl, the victim, down and tried to coerce her to take back the charges. Then I come here and read this article after a long week of dealing with Boy and Boy's mother...and I wonder, how many butts did Boy slap in his lifetime? How many slaps on the wrist does it take before the person realizes they are in the wrong? And at what point is it too late?

Obviously that is a little more serious. Did Boy have a prior history of problems doing this sort of thing? Did the girl lead him on in any way? Since it is related to the article, what kind of punishment is he receiving?

Quote:
You know what, sometimes today's butt slappers are tomorrow's rapists. It's sad, but true. As I said before reindeer, it's very common for female victims to recant their stories once word gets out and they start feeling pressure from the community. Another sad but true statement.

Perhaps in both cases, but keep in mind that the girls felt pressure in the first place to make statements that the authorities wanted to hear. I don't see that as being any better and in many ways something much worse.

Here's something else that's sad but true... I know of two cases locally of young girls that have used the threat of sexual harassment to extort money from the boy's families even though the boys didn't do anything. Another problem is that when the system starts handing out extreme sentences for petty offenses, the only thing it's going to accomplish is to make hardened criminals out of people that may have otherwise gone on to be productive citizens, and who in the end are going to be a drain on society.

Quote:
My question is, why is the whole country out to prove these boys are innocent when they've already admitted they are not? That's what having charges dropped would do...prove their innocence.

Nobody is trying to prove these boys are innocent. What others including myself are protesting is the extreme treatment these boys are getting from the authorities. Even the Constitution forbids cruel and unusual punishment.

Quote:
Why does the country have juvenile laws at all if it refuses to accept that juvenile crime exists?

It's not refusing to accept that juvenile crime exists... far from it. What's being called into question is whether or not butt slapping is worth making a criminal offense out of, much less a felony and making these boys registered sex offenders.

Quote:
And when exactly did we become a nation of butt slappers? Because to read many of the blogs about this issue, and even many of the posts here, you'd think it was an everyday form of greeting in this country.

Probably as long as humans have walked the earth. As far as the commentary you have seen, it's no doubt because they see the situation for what it is, an overreaction on the part of a zealous DA.

Quote:
And please don't ignore the fact that the parents CHOSE to risk their boys lives on the sex offender registry by not taking the plea agreement.

Why shouldn't they? If they feel that a miscarriage of justice is happening, they have the right to fight it. Many people have risked far greater for what they perceived to be injustices in the world as opposed to taking the easy way out and simply submitting. The article indicates that they have already spent $10k on the case so far, and are expecting to spend even more, so they are putting a lot on the line.
Instructor
#78 Old 2nd Aug 2007 at 12:55 PM
I don't 'minimize' what they did. They knew (at some level) what they did was wrong. BUt a lifetime on the sex offender registry IS NOT THE ANSWER. That's what truly bothers me.

You can keep your knight in shining armor. I'll take my country boy in turn-out gear!
Proud single mom, firefighter's girl, and beautifully imperfect person.
Avatar is me (tall girl), my Abbi (short girl in hat), and my boyfriend James (lone man) at Abbi's Kindergarten Graduation last May.
Field Researcher
#79 Old 2nd Aug 2007 at 1:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by chelleypie
I don't 'minimize' what they did. They knew (at some level) what they did was wrong. BUt a lifetime on the sex offender registry IS NOT THE ANSWER. That's what truly bothers me.

I have never said I agreed with their having to register as sex offenders. No judge in his right mind would agree to that either -- that much faith in the system I do have.

I think this debate has come down to several different questions aside from the original: when is horseplay a crime?

-- Should butt-slapping be a crime? (Right now it is). Should it only be a crime for adults?

-- Should juveniles ever have to register as sexual offenders for life?

-- What should we do with kids who commit crimes?

-- Should the media ever be able to list the names and pictures of children accused of crimes?

I'm pretty sure y'll know where I stand...
Test Subject
#80 Old 2nd Aug 2007 at 2:51 PM
I have never said I agreed with their having to register as sex offenders. No judge in his right mind would agree to that either -- that much faith in the system I do have.

I think this debate has come down to several different questions aside from the original: when is horseplay a crime?

-- Should butt-slapping be a crime? (Right now it is). Should it only be a crime for adults?

-- Should juveniles ever have to register as sexual offenders for life?

-- What should we do with kids who commit crimes?

-- Should the media ever be able to list the names and pictures of children accused of crimes?

I'm pretty sure y'll know where I stand...

1. If you slap someone on the butt that doesn't want you touching them or barely evens knows you then yes it's a crime of sexual harrassment
2. It depends..in this case no I don't think they should have to register as sexual offenders but there have been a few cases where someone even as young as 12-13 have raped someone.In that case,I can see that happening
3. Kids with crimes should spend sometime locked up somewhere for a few eeks and then forced to a threapist and community service.Usaully when a young person commits crimes that young,it's because they are having issues with the world around them and don't know of any other way to express their anger and sadness
4.Yes. Embarrasment sucks but when it comes to stuff like this, it may turn peole off from doing things.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#81 Old 11th Aug 2007 at 1:47 AM
UPDATE!

Quote:
MCMINNVILLE, Ore. - Sex abuse charges against two young boys in what has been dubbed the 'spanking case' have been dropped, although the boys will still face sexual harassment charges.

The case dates back to March of this year and involves two Patton Middle School students accused of slapping female classmates on their buttocks and poking at their breasts.

According to the boys, 13-year-old Corey Mashburn and 13-year-old Ryan Cornelison, it was all just part of a game that several students at the school were playing. Authorities said it stemmed from the MTV series "Jackass."

Although the boys and many others considered it just horseplay, the District Attorney's office in Yamhill County took the matter seriously and charged the boys with felony sex abuse. The two spent several days in juvenile detention and were temporarily suspended from school.

The felony charges were later dropped, but the boys were still facing misdemeanor sex abuse charges. Those charges were dropped on Friday, but they will still face charges of sexual harassment.

More in-line with what they were doing, and guilty of!

Erasing One Big Astounding Mistake All-around
#82 Old 11th Aug 2007 at 6:53 AM
Nice to see the DA in that case coming back to the same planet the rest of us live on :howdy: :Slap:
Scholar
#83 Old 11th Aug 2007 at 7:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Doc Doofus
This reminds me of that kid Genarlow Wilson who got ten years in prison for having oral sex with his girlfriend. It's nuts.

Are you kidding me? In Saudi Arabia, alright I can see that, but America?
Scholar
#84 Old 11th Aug 2007 at 9:29 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Black_Barook!
Are you kidding me? In Saudi Arabia, alright I can see that, but America?

I think in one of the other posts it explains that the girl - both girls, were punch drunk and one was only 15, and therefore a minor.
#85 Old 15th Aug 2007 at 8:04 PM
EDIT: Okay.. read this page. Glad to see it's been sorted
See yas :howdy:

Gawd... Juvinile Prison? Sex Offenders register for slapping a girls' BUTT??
Wow! I must say no police ever get involved in our school over butt slapping, breast grabbing.. y'know boys are hormonal gits from the ages 12 - at least 16 And... if you have never been to my school... or my friends, which is MUCH worse than mine on the sexual 'harrassment' front. But seriously, the teachers aren't even AWARE of what goes on in the hallways, either that or they turn a blind eye but.. I can't get over my initial WHAT??? WTH is going ON now?? Personally I am so much more worried about some 40 year old pervert coming onto me in th street ... or being raped, than some boy in my year slapping my butt... I think they KNOW that it's not the sort of theing you DO as an adult ect, but it's a bit of fun ... a dare, a show-off-to-my-mates... not something to be on the sex offenders register ...
Test Subject
#86 Old 20th Aug 2007 at 8:49 AM
I remember my akward years... Had a friend do the samething, though it was more of a pinch then a slap, but all he got was a phone call to mom who explained how offensive it is and how it is punishable.

I myself remember getting slapped on the ass when I was in Boyscouts! We were presenting the American Flag for a basketball game, and the mascot danced in the background. Apperently that guy in the bear suit found it hilarious to slap my 12 year old bum, and so did the crowd. I remember crying from embarassment once I got to the parkinglot.

I never really thought of it as a sexual thing my whole life though, I always saw it as rowdy interaction that could be insulting. Whenever I pictured a guy, say... Slapping a waitress on the butt I never thought "Well then, he must be imagining her rear end nude" but rather "He's being a jerk". Kinda complimentary, in a sleezy rude way.

I really never saw what's the big deal with this. If I was in control, I would have gave a fair enough punishment to teach the lesson it isn't acceptable. I have a feeling I can't use the "It's insulting. Can you imagine how those girls felt?" argument, because I've seen girls play along to this sorta thing before, and that really doesn't help...
Lab Assistant
#87 Old 23rd Aug 2007 at 12:05 AM
Personally, I think school punishment now days is too harsh. I think that the law should stay out of the school system unless something really serious and severe happens, like bringing a gun to school and things of that nature.

But I don't feel that charges should be pressed against young children for being young children. They're only trying to test their boundries and limits, and if they over step those boundries then they should be punished, but not by the state or county. The responsibility should be left to the school with whom the children have been entrusted to and to the parents.

I think it's really harsh and unneccessary to press charges against two boys who, very simply put, made a bad choice. They should be punished and they should be made to understand that what they did was inappropriate and wrong, but spend time in juvie?

The world is so concerned with being politically correct that it's starting to get a little ridiculous. Kids can't be kids anymore and they aren't allowed to make mistakes.

Page 4 of 4