Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Née whiterider
retired moderator
Original Poster
#51 Old 16th Nov 2009 at 2:45 AM
Mog, Game Mods is one subforum, for both TS2 and TS3. The game selection is all terribly complex, but essentially it's just another type of category tag. As such, it's impossible to have different categories for 2 and 3 - because they are in fact the same forum. Similarly, it wouldn't be possible to split up the forums, as then the game type switching wouldn't work.

DKinner: Crikey, would you look at that first link!

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Advertisement
Typical
#52 Old 16th Nov 2009 at 8:08 PM
Please, is it possible to do somethig about the lack of posts in CI? I don't mean like people posting their issues in there (we can't see other people's threads) I mean Mods answering questions.
For example, I've had this thread in CI for a week now.
It is getting a bit frustrating now. I admit, it's only been a week since I posted that thread compared to some people having thread in there for months un-answered but, it is stilll frustrating.
I'm not really sure what could be done about it, but maybe it could be reccomended that atleast once while a mod/admin is online they check CI?
Site Helper
#53 Old 17th Nov 2009 at 5:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by superstition
When they have changed their preferences.

Does this mean that I was a new user until just now? I didn't change the preferences either. :p

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Test Subject
#54 Old 17th Nov 2009 at 9:14 PM Last edited by superstition : 17th Nov 2009 at 9:27 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Ghost sdoj
Does this mean that I was a new user until just now? I didn't change the preferences either. :p

When you've used the search, you've never changed any of the options, like clicking the box that includes "picked" items?

It all comes down to the design of the pages, the user interface. My idea can be implemented in a way that does not send content into virtual oblivion while also maintaining a high standard first impression (or continual impression for those who will never go to the trouble of changing even obvious search options).

Quote: Originally posted by hp
there are plenty of other sites that allow anything and everything, and while I understand it may sometimes be upsetting to creators to be rejected, we do intend to stick to those high standards. If that means less uploads on the whole but a higher quality in what -is- uploaded, then so be it.

My suggestion, in no way, involved eliminating moderation or accepting garbage. I have seen how mediocre Sim design, for instance, can be, from the old "upload your Sim to EA" site.

But, given that my Van Gogh paintings, which were done to a high standard, were rejected until I made some good points in an appeal... it seems to me that there should be some tuning done, however minor, to the guidelines/requirements.

The suggestion was, instead, designed to allow less exacting requirements while still maintaining a good minimum. Sometimes it's not about quality at all but rather about rather arbitrary rules -- like the argument that paintings should be meta (pictures of Sims and stuff with Sim language). I disagree with that argument because I usually don't want meta art in my game. I also find the EA-created artwork to be drab, not compelling -- not as good as the best of the rejected Van Gogh paintings.
Mother Function
retired moderator
#55 Old 18th Nov 2009 at 3:32 AM
I noticed a comment about having more "average" looking sims for download, and I second that idea.

Although they are nice, I personally don't use the sims uploaded here because they are either "too pretty", a celebrity, or a fantasy sim. Those are fine for screen shots and such, but I wouldn't use them for everyday simming.

I, like a lot of simmers out there, don't have the skill or patience to make their own sims. And, it'd be nice to be able to grab a well done, average looking premade sim.

So, I think a semi-moderated forum where creators can upload and share their sims would be neat. You know, sorta like what the exchange offers but with more constraints and guidelines...and not as douchey That way the queue won't be clogged with an influx of sim uploads.

I don't know, seems like a good idea in theory.

"Holy Shift! Check out the asymptotes on that mother function!"
Lab Assistant
#56 Old 18th Nov 2009 at 4:52 AM
Congratulations for try the perfection, this only take the Web to the sweepings.
Before there were many uploading per day, today sometimes does not arrive to ten.
Every time there are less loads, the exigencies of the norms scare the creator and he it ends up going away to others webs where its work is not rejected and people downloading.
Most of the people who download do not understand the perfection, or exaggerated norms, only looks for new things for your game.
Single a very select group looks for extremely perfect things
Make its real life perfect; do not look for perfection in a game.
In a game nothing is impossible.
Test Subject
#57 Old 19th Nov 2009 at 4:47 PM
I think that the site mostly focuses on window users and mac users like me are out in the dark. For example with the addition of World Adventures the custom content no longer works while the resource file is in the folder and no one is even addressing the issue. Mac Users want some love too...LOL

¤M¡zz Røyåltÿ¤™
Née whiterider
retired moderator
Original Poster
#58 Old 19th Nov 2009 at 4:54 PM
We haven't had any reports of Macs having CC issues with WA - why not go and start a discussion in the TS3 Mac help forum?

In terms of other things - almost all the CC works on Macs, we have FAQs etc specifically written for Macs. Obviously OS is pretty irrelevant in the community section, and while it's true that most of the modding resources are Windows-focussed, that's because most of the modding tools are Windows only. If you've got more specific suggestions regarding Mac support, please go ahead and post them in the general site suggestions thread; or here if they're specifically related to modding resources. We can't really do much based on "more focus on Macs", though.

Warrior Gryphon
site owner
#59 Old 19th Nov 2009 at 6:28 PM
I don't think it's terribly fair to accuse the site of "not addressing the issue" - this is a site with user contributions, after all. As whiterider says if you want to address the issue - go right ahead.

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Field Researcher
#60 Old 20th Nov 2009 at 12:40 PM
not sure if its the right place for this but i'm trying to make an object uplosd on my page but i cant find the usertool... to click upload i'm at a brick wall can i get some direction please ty :-)
Forum Resident
#61 Old 20th Nov 2009 at 2:58 PM
Hi Whiterider, thank you for this thread.

I am one of those people whose questions have not been answered for days in CI, so my question is, is there a roster of mods who checks the CI threads to see if he/she can help the creator? If there is a roster, then it does not appear to be working as there are clearly people who are not getting their questions answered. If there isn't a roster, then maybe there should be one to ensure that questions get answered timeously. Sometimes it is impossible for the creator to go forward with his her creation until they get an answer to their questions.

Another question. What are the mods impressed by when they give a star or a trophy to a sim upload? I think there is only one star in the Sims section and although I think the upload is great, what makes a sim upload worthy of a 'pick'?

Thank you for splitting the Sims 2 and 3 in CFF. It is great to go in there now. However, since I am only a sim maker, I would like a thread within Sims 3 dedicated only to sims which can be sublabelled - celebrity, other, anime. I'm sure that builders, modders, etc. would like the same thing.

Thank you for the less generic kind of rejection, with reasons
I have also noticed that when my sim gets rejected, the mod is putting more information about why the sim was rejected. This is very helpful, especially if you have been tweaking the sim in CFF for weeks and think that is ready for upload.

I am definitely in favour of maintaining the standard of content which is uploaded. So, even though I go 'damn' when I get rejected, I know it is because you are trying to keep the standards high. In contrast, you have TSR where even the fugliest sims and ones that bear no resemblance to the celebrity they are supposed to represent are uploaded there. Thanks for keeping the standards high, even though it comes back to bite me. Lol

I feel honoured, a Spanish magazine wants to feature my Desperate Housewives and Will Smith in their feature on celebrity sims.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#62 Old 20th Nov 2009 at 3:22 PM
Field Researcher
#63 Old 20th Nov 2009 at 3:54 PM
Oh brilliant ty so much Luna x
Site Helper
#65 Old 23rd Nov 2009 at 1:22 PM
Yes, that would be cool, but I don't think it's quite as site related as they were looking for.

(If that is the tutorial by Wes_h, if you post your question in the thread he will get back to you with an answer. He has always been very helpful with that. You should see the original thread for that tutorial at CustomSims3! )

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Banned
#66 Old 25th Nov 2009 at 5:28 PM
I think it would be cool to have a section in the creation forums for sims 2 for Pets. For questions on how to make custom coats, and custom pets, and any problems creators have with making custom Pets. I know I have a question about how to make a custom coat, but I don't know where to ask, because there is no Pets forum.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
#67 Old 25th Nov 2009 at 11:16 PM
jon, I'm not sure that there's really enough information, or enough interested modders, to justify an entire forum for pets. Most of the information about it is in Modding Discussion. The only resources I can really think of are this tutorial:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=220982
and this thread:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=199958

There was a brief burst of activity when the EP came out, but I'm afraid Pets was really the least moddable of the TS2 expansions.
Forum Resident
#68 Old 4th Dec 2009 at 8:32 AM
Yep i agree with lewjen, i also would suggest that you answer Creator Issues forum more often.

I mean i don't know how many questions you get there per day and how many silly questions are posted there, as it is now you seem to only answer questions which can't be figured out by the threadstarter. On the usual forum at least one gives a hint even to the dumbest question. So i'm not quite sure how you handle this forum, or if you overlook threads sometimes (you are not robots) and would be interesting to know

Like i posted a question 3 months ago, why one of my early uploads was rejected, because it was a two sims upload and i didn't know, if all 2 sims are ment or only 1. The thread got 16 views, but no response. Afterwards i thought, that this means "Just take a closer look at your sims and you can figure out why they got rejected by yourself" This is long time ago and things changed, but this was the way i thought about it at that point in time.

-> My "Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines" Sims: > CLICK <
-> "My Fav music" playlist: >> Listen <<
-> Liquid Drum & Bass at it's best: > Liquicity <
-> Swiss Groove - the world's grooviest webradio! Music which moves your body & soul: > SwissGroove Website <
Banned
#69 Old 9th Dec 2009 at 10:38 AM
I think it would be extra helpful if we had in the create section under create/sims 2 or create/sims 3 the creator feedback sections for those games. A lot of times I'm really trying to get to creator feedback, for a certain game, and instead of cliking on creator feedback, I accidentally go straight for the Create/Creating For.../Sims 2 or 3 tab. I guess because creating for, equates to me as all possible ways to create for the game of your choice, including people giving feedback on your creations.
Instructor
#70 Old 9th Dec 2009 at 11:53 AM
Something that has not come up yet: the description fields you get for each and every file you upload, in the upload process. I don't mean the description which appears to downloaders under the filename - that was a great, very useful addition.
But the other you are asked to fill in (above the line where you can check "It's my work". The text I enter there does not appear anywhere, and uploaders are not told what it is used for, if anything.
Consistent information about the picture size accepted would also be nice.
As well as updating the text about 'pay content used in the upload' - since MTS does not accept pay content any more, that seems outdated.

And I second the note about arbitrariness in moderation decisions - I have no issues whatsoever with quality requirements, but arbitrariness is disheartening.
Asking for unreasonable changes - like learning to mesh for the sake of a recolour which does not need it - gives a feeling of being unrespected- as if what one wanted to do in the first place did not matter.
Maybe it would help if the dialogue could be kept up - if in case of rejection or a questionable change request, the uploader could in good faith present their reasons as an equal party. If there is already a way for that, well, people should be told, but as I hear, the CI is not the place.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
Original Poster
#71 Old 9th Dec 2009 at 12:50 PM
jonin, interesting idea, I'll make a note to discuss it.

Gwenke33, if you can tell us exactly where the pay content text is, or where there are inconsistencies regarding image size, we'll get those straightened out.

The file description is used in the PackageDB, so that if someone else later also uploads a lot, sim etc using your file, the description you provided will automatically be filled in under CC Included.

If you have questions or issues with a changes required, then you can use the textbox under the "I'm ready for this to be reviewed" checkbox to communicate directly with the queue mods. Issues with rejections should be posted in CI - we generally respond to simple issues with the uploading process fairly quickly; it's more complex issues that require a bit more wrangling while we make a decision and respond.

Instructor
#72 Old 9th Dec 2009 at 10:24 PM
The pay content text is somewhere at the end of the upload process (sorry I can't tell where without uploading something). There's a small box the uploader is asked to check if any pay content was used in the upload.
Could you please clarify: who will see the description provided? The uploader when uploading? (I've never uploaded a house or sim).
Née whiterider
retired moderator
Original Poster
#73 Old 10th Dec 2009 at 12:33 AM
When uploading lots or sims, uploaders see a set of boxes to fill in info on any custom content that's included. If a particular piece of CC is already in the PackageDB, then the info will automatically be filled in, and will show up under CC Included in the download text.

Instructor
#74 Old 10th Dec 2009 at 1:48 AM
Thank you. It would be useful to have this info in the uploading process, then.
Banned
#75 Old 10th Jan 2010 at 4:12 AM
The ability to withdraw your uploads without them being rejected would be nice. I know if you have something, you changed your mind on uploading here, because you needed to work on it further or something, it would be helpful if you could simply withdraw your submission in the subscribed threads.
Page 3 of 5