Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Feb 2010 at 11:35 AM Last edited by water_cat1 : 2nd May 2010 at 7:34 AM.
Default CaW custom road textures. snow, zebra crossing and more!
Since CaW does not include the french textures for the roads i decided to make some of my own. So i have fully recreated the french road crossing and no road markings. As well as editing the pavement corner to match my road crossing and editing the road markings to have a single middle line, although this is not french related, i thought i may as well upload it too.

These all need to be placed in Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3 Create A World Tool\UserToolData\SourceTextures. Then when in CaW go to the road tool and click on the 'create custom road' button.

update 2nd of may
Extracted textures from game for the french road! now you can have the full french road in your world!

This was made after the crossing as seen in France of world adventures. i actually started with the dimensions of the crossings from the basegame and created it from there. i also edited the corner of the pavement to remove the little line it had
This i placed in the 'crosswalk texture' box and 'intersection corner texture' box when creating a custom road.
filepack: zebra crossing and French road

This is simply a blank image in the dimensions needed as trying to get the right colour and transparency and gradient the same as the actual french road is just too hard. this is placed in the 'detail texture' when making a custom road. Filepack:misc

Here i just removed the double yellow lines and replaced them with a single white line. obviously cannot be used at the same time as my no road markings texture. this is placed in the 'detail texture' when making a custom road. Filepack:misc.

This is a combination of two roads with different base textures (one for the roads, one for the intersection) since these are base textures you can have detail textures on top and have your own painted lines.it is all a product of reverse engineering of what CaW gave us and the tools available in Paint.net.
filepack:snow road

also included in the misc file is the full opacity map. while you can have a sidewalk at full opacity by not putting any file in, if you place a file in and change your mind you cannot get the sidewalk fully opaque again, so use this and your problem is solved :D

Now available with the zebra textures pack are the extracted textures for the french road and footpath.

Usage
Use as you wish.Just a little thanks when you post the world would be nice, but it doesn't really matter.

Additional Credits:
thanks to Martine for the french road texture and snow used in the screenshots. (part of the CaW textures megapack)
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  misc.rar (1.7 KB, 3206 downloads) - View custom content
Description: misc textures
File Type: rar  snow road.rar (500.0 KB, 1778 downloads) - View custom content
Description: files for a snowy road
File Type: rar  zebra crossing and french road.rar (510.5 KB, 4396 downloads) - View custom content
Description: files for making the french road and zebra crossing on the normal road
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 12th Feb 2010 at 2:51 PM
Thank you!
Field Researcher
#3 Old 12th Feb 2010 at 3:36 PM
Thanks for this!!

~ Nyn ~
Field Researcher
#4 Old 12th Feb 2010 at 3:52 PM
thanks again, I've been using these for a while now
Forum Resident
#5 Old 12th Feb 2010 at 5:04 PM
This is great! You did an amazing job.

My cat taught me how to fetch. I throw the toy, she shows me where it landed, and I fetch it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 12th Feb 2010 at 11:04 PM Last edited by water_cat1 : 13th Feb 2010 at 1:23 AM.
thanks

im currently working on a snow detail texture, pavement to match and also a better french texture (the one here is a blank image practicly)

edit: updated with snow textures and a full opacity map i found floating around that i had made
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 18th Feb 2010 at 8:21 PM
the layout of this download is really weird :O i mean like its all weird here... the download is awesome, thanks :D

It's hard to be yourself in a society that relies on clothes, hairstyles and looks to fit in.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 19th Feb 2010 at 3:21 AM
i uploaded the normal way, but its been put in the CAW forum, as with other CaW textures, hence why it does not look the same as most downloads with the different tabs and stuff.
Test Subject
#9 Old 26th Apr 2010 at 9:11 PM
Default Re: using custom road
when in caw how do you use the french custom road ; what i mean is what goes where , when you get the panel that has the road intersections etc etc ....
Test Subject
#10 Old 1st May 2010 at 10:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by water_cat1
i uploaded the normal way, but its been put in the CAW forum, as with other CaW textures, hence why it does not look the same as most downloads with the different tabs and stuff.

whats the normal way ???? im confuzled
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 2nd May 2010 at 7:36 AM
the 'normal way' you have quoted is about the setup of this page, it is different to other downloads for the sims 3.

As for where to place each file i have created a readme inside each pack to tell you where to put it. If they are not clear enough then i may get a picture.
I have also updated the zebra crossing pack with the extracted textures of the french road, so you now have all of the files you need to make the french road from this download, and from other textures that have come with CAW
Test Subject
#12 Old 2nd May 2010 at 7:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by water_cat1
the 'normal way' you have quoted is about the setup of this page, it is different to other downloads for the sims 3.

As for where to place each file i have created a readme inside each pack to tell you where to put it. If they are not clear enough then i may get a picture.
I have also updated the zebra crossing pack with the extracted textures of the french road, so you now have all of the files you need to make the french road from this download, and from other textures that have come with CAW

i didnt see the read me file i have it working now

the french world is fantastic
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 21st Dec 2010 at 4:40 PM
this is brilliant water_cat, thank you so much for this! the road detail texture, the fact that you HAVE TO put something there, those stupid lines, was driving me crazy.
Test Subject
#14 Old 3rd Jan 2011 at 1:59 PM
Hi
I went to download your content and it is coming up unknown file type, can you help me please x :lovestruc
Test Subject
#15 Old 30th Jan 2011 at 3:12 AM
This is absolutely perfect! Thank you soo so much! =)
Alchemist
#16 Old 13th Mar 2011 at 1:06 PM
I know this is over a month old thread but I'm having troubles with the French road files. The corners of the street crossing turn to different color when roads are being connected. Here's a pic:

I followed your instructions to the letter. The "sidewalkTile_concrete_corner_n" and the "sidewalkTile_concrete_basic_n" which comes with the CAW aren't in DDS format but I guess that how they should be, right? What am I doing wrong?

Also, is there a way to get the french street crossing without the white zebra lines, so that when the roads are connected the crossing stayes all brown?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#17 Old 13th Mar 2011 at 4:38 PM
varpunen, are you using the correct corner intersections? The ones in WaterCat's download all match, so perhaps you're using others?

For the crossing, if you use the dirt road crosswalk texture that comes with CAW in the source textures, that will give you a blank crossing.
Alchemist
#18 Old 13th Mar 2011 at 7:39 PM
These are the instructions that came with the file and I followed them to the letter.

To create a zebra crossing on any road simply create a custom road, fill in the street section with what ever and the sidewalk section the same as the base game road.

To create a crossing that matches the basegame sidewalk
under the intersection section
place "WC1 sidewalkTile_zebracorner_basegame" in corner texture
place "sidewalkTile_concrete_corner_n" in normal map (comes with CaW)
place "WC1 sidewalkTile_crosswalk (zebra)" in crosswalk texture

now the crossing will come up everytime you connect a road to that intersection.

Note: if using my snow textures replace "WC1 sidewalkTile_zebra_corner_D" with "WC1 sidewalkTile_snow_corner_D"
or if you are using my extracted french sidewalk replace "WC1 sidewalkTile_zebra_corner_D" with "WC1_concreteFrance_intersection_corner"

To create a French road

under street textures
place "WC1_concreteFrance_street_base" in base texture
place "WC1_concreteFrance_street_detail" in detail texture

under sidewalk textures
place "WC1_concreteFrance_sidewalk_base" in base texture
place "sidewalkTile_concrete_basic_n" in normal map (comes with CaW)
leave opacity map blank or use my full opacity map in the misc download

Also, there are no "WC1 sidewalkTile_zebra_corner_D" file in the the French road package, in case that's needed.
Test Subject
#19 Old 29th Mar 2011 at 12:26 PM Last edited by Anushka : 29th Mar 2011 at 12:36 PM.
Since this is my first post, I apologize if this is a wrong place for it.

Now, I'm trying to do exactly the same thing as you did but instead of French road texture, I want asphalt. I can't get zebra crossing, and would love to. I also have trouble finding any option to change the contrast on existing road texture, so at the moment sidewalk is almost invisible.
Any help would be appretiated.
Thanks.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 30th Mar 2011 at 10:22 AM
Welcome to ModtheSims Anushka,

I don't think I have this pack of textures, but I'll download it. I'll do some testing with it later to day, so that I can try to help you if nobody else has the answer in between time.

Could you just post the list of files you used for your custom road texture? I've been a bit too lazy to use CAW lately, but if I remember correctly there are 8 (or 9?) textures involved in a road. This is the list I'm asking.

Then a picture of you results, or problems. (road & crossing).

I don't understand what you mean by 'changing the contrast' on an existing road texture? I guess you want to alter some stretches of roads that are already laid out in your world? If those are made with a custom road texture, you can edit the texture, that is change some of the 8 (or 9) the files that define it. Beware that ALL the pieces of road that have been laid with this custom road texture will be altered too.

But, if the road you want to change is done with the default EA texture, there is no way to edit this. You'll have to remove the parts of roads you want to change, and lay them down again, with a custom texture this time.

Tell me if this is what your were asking for, or if you were meaning something else.

I'm the same person as BellaClo at Carl's forums btw
Test Subject
#21 Old 21st Jul 2011 at 11:11 AM
Quote: Originally posted by bellatrixclovis
Welcome to ModtheSims Anushka,

I don't think I have this pack of textures, but I'll download it. I'll do some testing with it later to day, so that I can try to help you if nobody else has the answer in between time.

Could you just post the list of files you used for your custom road texture? I've been a bit too lazy to use CAW lately, but if I remember correctly there are 8 (or 9?) textures involved in a road. This is the list I'm asking.

Then a picture of you results, or problems. (road & crossing).

I don't understand what you mean by 'changing the contrast' on an existing road texture? I guess you want to alter some stretches of roads that are already laid out in your world? If those are made with a custom road texture, you can edit the texture, that is change some of the 8 (or 9) the files that define it. Beware that ALL the pieces of road that have been laid with this custom road texture will be altered too.

But, if the road you want to change is done with the default EA texture, there is no way to edit this. You'll have to remove the parts of roads you want to change, and lay them down again, with a custom texture this time.

Tell me if this is what your were asking for, or if you were meaning something else.

I'm the same person as BellaClo at Carl's forums btw

Yay I don't feel like complete stranger here anymore.
I used picture of dark detailed asphalt find on web, but it is awfully stretched on road. It is nice on side walk but little too dark. I also used few more (mostly cobblestone pattern) but that wasn't the problem. I figured zebra part but what is driving me crazy is that I can't make crosroad to look normal. This is the contrast I've been talking about:

I've been trying to find best base pattern that will not strech detailed one on street, and so far this dirt base seems the best. Dirt road is specially driving me crazy because corners looks turned in oposite direction And I used all textures .

(these examples are all EA patterns)

Thanks in advance!
Test Subject
#22 Old 7th Aug 2011 at 5:21 PM
I had the same problem, To fix this I did the following

Under "Corner Texture" use which ever corner texture you like, for example "WC1_concreteFrance_intersection_corner.dds"

Then Under "Corner Normal Map" put in "sidewalkTile_concrete_corner_n.tga"

Solved the problem for me, hope it works for you.
Test Subject
#23 Old 29th Oct 2011 at 4:30 AM
how can i download this?
im new btw!!
Alchemist
#24 Old 15th Nov 2011 at 1:15 AM
I know that this thread is over 16 days old but I'm really hitting my head in the wall with the French road. The intersection corner still showes up in slightly different color, like in the pic in my first post. I've tried over and over again. I've checked and double checked that I have the correct road files in correct slots in the road creation box. I even re-dowloded the instructions just to make sure. I just don't know what else to try. Any suggestions?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#25 Old 16th Nov 2011 at 5:51 PM
varpunen, for the street tile intersection try using WC1_concreteFrance_intersection_corner.dds instead of WC1 sidewalkTile_zebracorner_basegame.dds.
Page 1 of 2