Home | Download | Discussion | Help | Site Map | New Posts | Sign in

Latest Site News

Nysha's New Creators for March - posted on 1st Apr 2018 at 9:00 AM
Replies: 6049 (Who?), Viewed: 196034 times.
Page 242 of 242
Field Researcher
#6026 Old 17th Apr 2018 at 9:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynne
Stupid question about empty hoods.

I'm new to trying to play 'empty' hoods. I downloaded an empty Strangetown. I made sure notownieregen was in place. Made a few families. Before long, Jill Fleig or someone like that walks by. Looked at my hood in simpe, it's full of the usual suspects, Camryn Lee, Lindsay Hamilton, all of them, to the tune of ~270 new character files. How do I not ever have to see those Sims again?

It sounds like you skipped some of the steps, like renaming your Pleasantville folder and replacing the stealthhood templates.
Scholar
#6027 Old 17th Apr 2018 at 10:36 PM Last edited by yavannatw : 18th Apr 2018 at 1:37 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxon
??? All I got was a lot of stuff about long pointy things.

Try Sims 2 and spear.
Scholar
#6028 Old 17th Apr 2018 at 11:30 PM Last edited by gwynne : 18th Apr 2018 at 12:20 AM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunrader
It sounds like you skipped some of the steps, like renaming your Pleasantville folder and replacing the stealthhood templates.

Can you recommend a starting point to learn this all?

Edit: I think I got it mostly figured out here:

http://modthesims.info/showthread.p...5#startcomments

...it seemed to be a game about watching other people sitting around the house, on a computer. It just seemed so lame. - Rod Humble on his first impression of "The Sims".
The Great AntiJen
staff: moderator
#6029 Old 18th Apr 2018 at 12:43 AM
Quote:

What I find odd in your comments is that you said you downloaded an empty hood and used the noregen hacks - in that case, you shouldn't get anything but NPCs as you play. What you're describing (to my ears anyway) is a hood that is being created. You get loads of 200-300 sims (townies and so on) when you create a hood for the first time. I'm puzzled about what you did.

Actually, that's not quite accurate. On a first load of an empty custom made hood, the game will add stealth hoods - and if you don't have empty templates, you will get batches of sims being added - but I wouldn't expect that many.

Polgannon: Who Murdered Blaise Penhaligan?
(3rd ed. neighbourhood now available with corrections). Poll: http://strawpoll.me/6689876

Polls: length of neighbourhood play: http://www.strawpoll.me/10908815 & http://www.strawpoll.me/10908842

Thread for yakking about making TS2 stuff
Turquoise Dragon
staff: moderator
#6030 Old 18th Apr 2018 at 6:10 AM
The game can make hundreds of townies etc. It is amazing the number without stealth hoods! One very good reason to create your own custom hood with all clean templates huh!
Field Researcher
#6031 Old 18th Apr 2018 at 12:47 PM
Quote:

This isn't a question thread, but I'll answer, anyway. For the stealth hoods, you need this one. http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=520751
Back up your originals, place these, then rename the Pleasantville folder while you create the new hood.

I'm not sure, either, about you downloading the empty Strangetown, but this is what you need if you are creating an empty hood.
Field Researcher
#6032 Old 18th Apr 2018 at 1:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orilon
The old monitor resolution was 1280x1024, the new monitor resolution is 1440x900. Its wider and shorter. I tried to play but the screen is stretched on both sizes and is uncomfortable to look at. (I hate windowed mode.)

Sorry you're not feeling well. Fixing this does require some focus, but I found this pretty easy to follow. Maybe you have someone who can help out if they can follow these instructions?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gmg298sZMo
Scholar
#6033 Old 18th Apr 2018 at 1:17 PM
As a final update to the 'empty hoods' issue, and again sorry for mistaking this for the Random QUESTIONS thread:

Yeah, I thought that downloading an empty version of Strangetown and having no-regen hacks would be enough.But now I understand about the various folders that live in the Program Files directory tree that the game will pull townie premades from, if the folders are not dealt with in one way or another.

...it seemed to be a game about watching other people sitting around the house, on a computer. It just seemed so lame. - Rod Humble on his first impression of "The Sims".
Scholar
#6034 Old 18th Apr 2018 at 1:34 PM
Guys, I had the worst nightmare . I dreamt my comp ate my entire game. All files, all folders, all CC. EVERYTHING.

I actually came here to MTS to ask advice on what to do to get it back and all my answers were "did you make a back up copy?" And I was like NOOOOOOOOO

Sorry I couldn't find the "do you dream of Sims" post.
Mad Poster
#6035 Old 18th Apr 2018 at 1:38 PM
Playing the beginning of Daughnoth, I still have 7 families to set up before I can start the first rotation. I find the process long. lol
Me not use to it.
After they all graduated from UNI, I had to place them all, one by one on a temporary lot in order to change their clothes, have them withdraw all the money they had saved, and merging the couples together, before moving them back to the bin. (punctuation help? tis a long phrase.)

Having to decide who will move where, and build new apartments and houses, Fun! I am so happy about the new builds.
Moving them all to their respective chosen lot, setting the Season to the first day of the first quadrant, saved and thought I was done. lol NO! I needed to furnish some of the houses/apt, take everything (what was relevant, such as computers, baby items etc... a group serving of Grilled Cheese! ) out of their personal inventory and find a place somewhere for it.
The residences I build have all the plumbing ready (bath/shower-toilet-bathroom/kitchen sinks), the needed small electronics (phone-burglar alarm-smoke detector) But aside from these, no furniture.
I did not want to leave my new residents without a bed or a fridge or...

So yeah. 7 more to go!

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS ;)
Mad Poster
#6036 Old 18th Apr 2018 at 2:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DezzyBoo
Guys, I had the worst nightmare . I dreamt my comp ate my entire game. All files, all folders, all CC. EVERYTHING.

I actually came here to MTS to ask advice on what to do to get it back and all my answers were "did you make a back up copy?" And I was like NOOOOOOOOO

Sorry I couldn't find the "do you dream of Sims" post.

You're backing up right now, though, right? Sounds like a warning from your subconscious to me!

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Field Researcher
#6037 Old 18th Apr 2018 at 2:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peni Griffin
You're backing up right now, though, right? Sounds like a warning from your subconscious to me!

That's how I'd read it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebine
Playing the beginning of Daughnoth, I still have 7 families to set up before I can start the first rotation. I find the process long. lol
Me not use to it.
The residences I build have all the plumbing ready (bath/shower-toilet-bathroom/kitchen sinks), the needed small electronics (phone-burglar alarm-smoke detector) But aside from these, no furniture.
I did not want to leave my new residents without a bed or a fridge or...

So yeah. 7 more to go!

I've spent whole vacations "getting ready" to play.

Quote:
As a final update to the 'empty hoods' issue, and again sorry for mistaking this for the Random QUESTIONS thread:

Yeah, I thought that downloading an empty version of Strangetown and having no-regen hacks would be enough.But now I understand about the various folders that live in the Program Files directory tree that the game will pull townie premades from, if the folders are not dealt with in one way or another.

Sounds like you got it, then. Have fun!
Field Researcher
DELETED POST
18th Apr 2018 at 2:30 PM
This message has been deleted by Sunrader. Reason: delete
Instructor
#6038 Old 18th Apr 2018 at 3:08 PM
Quote:
I've spent whole vacations "getting ready" to play.

Tell me about it! I usually stick with premades for that very reason. I don't mind renovating a house, but putting households together (and coming up with backstories, if starting from scratch), building things, and arranging the hood just so, all to set up the story in my head... eh, I usually give up a third of the way through and play a premade hood, . Also, I inevitably start playing my hood before the "story" actually happens because I want sims to be at certain points or have certain things, but I don't want to cheat for it. That's actually what I'm doing in my game right now, waiting for a few sims to get genie lamps so I can have them start to wreak havoc and of course, the gypsy isn't showing up now that I actually want her to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primavera
Even though I read about it I still don't have a basic understanding of how ACR works. I keep seeing it on simblrs and looking at its effects, but it doesn't connect with me at all . This is probably the only popular mod I won't try out because it's like reading an IKEA manual .-.

This is a great site to ask about it, though; chances are a variety of simmers have tried a mod you're looking at. You can search the forum for ACR to find discussions about it, and I know I discussed some of its pros in the Story Dilemma Advice Thread, which you may find useful. We were talking about mods that handle jealousy and how to prevent sins from getting jealous, and ACR is one of the ways you can do that.

@Rosebine, no idea if you were serious, but since it's always good to practice my editing skills: "After they all graduated from UNI, I had to place them all, one by one, on a temporary lot in order to change their clothes, have them withdraw all the money they had saved, and merge the couples together, before moving them back to the bin."

"Enjoy the moment with all your might, whether it’s gloomy, whether it’s bright!"
Also known as Kelyns but you can call me KB.
Bored? Read the legacy I'll probably never finish.
Mad Poster
#6039 Old 18th Apr 2018 at 5:00 PM
Oh yes, I was serious. I was more wondering if comas were fine, as my phrase seemed too long...but thank you for correcting my verb!

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS ;)
Lab Assistant
#6040 Old 18th Apr 2018 at 6:09 PM
@Phantomknight good to know! It just seems confusing to me because it's a lot to take in . I'll search around for more info about ACR
Instructor
#6041 Old 18th Apr 2018 at 7:15 PM
@Primavera, I think most of the simmers here love answering questions and talking about their game, so I always find it best to just ask when I'm confused or want to know something.

And @Rosebine, as someone who writes rather lengthy and long-winded sentences, *I* think your commas are fine. (I did add one after "one by one," too, idk if you could tell.) Though some of my old English teachers probably would've told you to break the sentence up.

"Enjoy the moment with all your might, whether it’s gloomy, whether it’s bright!"
Lab Assistant
#6042 Old 18th Apr 2018 at 9:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantomknight
@Primavera, I think most of the simmers here love answering questions and talking about their game, so I always find it best to just ask when I'm confused or want to know something.

Yeah, I'm just too awkward and shy to ask though . And I did look at the thread in your earlier post about ACR and it's definitely a lot clearer to me now. I'll give it a try in a test 'hood maybe, to get a feel of it before trying it out in my legacy 'hood(s) .
Scholar
#6043 Old 18th Apr 2018 at 10:00 PM
"I need a new Architect for SimHampton"

I've been constructing a house for the shopkeepers of the political promotion centre. To fit in with the architectural style of the quarter of town in which they live, there are dramatic bay windows on the sides of the (octagonal) building adjacent to the front door. However, I forgot that these dramatic bay windows are... ..big.

The bay windows take 3 wall spaces on a horizontal wall... ...and 4 wall spaces if the wall is diagonal. Go figure. Because I certainly didn't when I built the diagonal walls to be 1 space short of what was needed.

For most of my game, there has been one Sim that was appointed by the government of SimHampton to nominally be in charge of all new construction and design work. They could sub-contract work out to carefully-selected companies, but they were personally responsible for making sure that buildings did what they were supposed to do and did not have design fails of the type I have just described. The role has been vacant for a while and it shows.

The sooner one of my Sims becomes the Architect of SimHampton and replaces me, the better. Never used to get these sorts of glitches when they were in charge of building design...
Mad Poster
#6044 Old 18th Apr 2018 at 10:33 PM
I find ACR a lot of fun myself. How you use it is really up to the player - it has a variety of settings and is very easy to change to your liking. It is, however, far less complicated than something than some other mods.

Windows 10 and the Ultimate Collection
http://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=568275
Field Researcher
#6045 Old 18th Apr 2018 at 10:38 PM Last edited by Sunrader : Yesterday at 12:06 PM.
Quote:
Tell me about it! I usually stick with premades for that very reason. ...Also, I inevitably start playing my hood before the "story" actually happens because I want sims to be at certain points or have certain things, but I don't want to cheat for it. That's actually what I'm doing in my game right now, waiting for a few sims to get genie lamps so I can have them start to wreak havoc and of course, the gypsy isn't showing up now that I actually want her to.

Right?! Me, too, premades and playing "before." It's funny which things I don't want to cheat on and which don't matter. I cloned the genie so he could be a full-fledged havok wreaker. That took... um... a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primavera
Yeah, I'm just too awkward and shy to ask though . And I did look at the thread in your earlier post about ACR and it's definitely a lot clearer to me now. I'll give it a try in a test 'hood maybe, to get a feel of it before trying it out in my legacy 'hood(s) .

I hope you will feel comfortable here. I mean, many of us are middle-aged adults deeply attached to fake people in a 15 year-old game, how intimidating can we be, really?! Ask away!

Honestly, I think ACR is a bit complicated for me, too. I have read it and tried it a couple times, but for what I want, I'd have to do far too much setting it up on each lot and such and it doesn't turn off jealousy the way I want it to. I find that Lizzlove's no-jealousy-at-all does a lot for my game just by itself, because it means that any sims who feel attracted will flirt and be affectionate autonomously and since I play aging off, they develop very complex relationships. When you do try, though, a test hood is a good idea. In my experience, both times I tried, just turning ACR on had a dramatic effect that I didn't care for so I fell back on my backups to restore peace in my hood. I have nothing against it, btw, just haven't found a way to make it useful for me.
Instructor
#6046 Old 18th Apr 2018 at 11:30 PM
Quote:
It's funny which things I don't want to cheat on and which don't matter.

I didn't realize how true this was until just now! I mean, yeah, I'll cheat to change the time of day or give my sims more days of life, and every once and a while, they'll get a maxmotive or two. But apparently cheating to get the gypsy to show up or installing a mod to increase chances is where I draw the line, .

And @Primavera I definitely second the test hood idea. When I first started using it, I kept it out of my legacy hood (the same one in my siggy, actually. I keep meaning to go back to that.) because I wanted more control there and I had an heir who I imagined was more reserved and I wanted to take time developing her romance with her future spouse. ACR does let you turn it off or on by hood, but I'm really glad I started creating different TS2 folders as it allows me to test out different mod suites and different play styles. I think that's the easiest way now, and can even save time sometimes, if you cut out the download files you don't need.

Lab Assistant
#6047 Old Yesterday at 12:52 AM
Quote:
And @Primavera I definitely second the test hood idea. When I first started using it, I kept it out of my legacy hood (the same one in my siggy, actually. I keep meaning to go back to that.) because I wanted more control there and I had an heir who I imagined was more reserved and I wanted to take time developing her romance with her future spouse. ACR does let you turn it off or on by hood, but I'm really glad I started creating different TS2 folders as it allows me to test out different mod suites and different play styles. I think that's the easiest way now, and can even save time sometimes, if you cut out the download files you don't need.

I never tried that method, all of my TS2 stuff were in the same folder :o. I'm gonna try that too, hopefully I'll get the hang of it when it does happen.
Lab Assistant
#6048 Old Yesterday at 1:00 AM
Quote:
I hope you will feel comfortable here. I mean, many of us are middle-aged adults deeply attached to fake people in a 15 year-old game, how intimidating can we be, really?! Ask away!

Honestly, I think ACR is a bit complicated for me, too. I have read it and tried it a couple times, but for what I want, I'd have to do far too much setting it up on each lot and such and it doesn't turn off jealousy the way I want it to. I find that Lizzlove's no-jealousy-at-all does a lot for my game just by itself, because it means that any sims who feel attracted will flirt and be affectionate autonomously and since I play aging off, they develop very complex relationships. When you do try, though, a test hood is a good idea. In my experience, both times I tried, just turning ACR on had a dramatic affect that I didn't care for so I fell back on my backups to restore peace in my hood. I have nothing against it, btw, just haven't found a way to make it useful for me.

Haha, I'm going to be a full-fledged adult next year, but don't expect me hitting the bars . The other mod also sounds good, so I'll try them both (granted if I find the Lizzlove mod) once I get a computer to play this one. I've tackled more complicated things in relation to the sims, so maybe this won't be too hard . I'm keeping a positive attitude because I'll probably cry in frustration once I actually get to that point and use ACR .
Scholar
#6049 Old Yesterday at 1:16 AM
My daughter plays Sims 3 on her laptop. Recently she hauled out her old, slow, laptop to play Sims 2. She was amazed at how quickly it loaded compared to Sims 3.
(I want to lure her away from Sims 3 but she enjoys it.)
Test Subject
#6050 Old Yesterday at 7:25 PM
I do like to use ACR at times, many of my old couples got together with ACR. (And a nudge from the fortuneteller)

I love how since I only play custom hoods in 2, I never really got to know the actual premades just the townie ones. So most of the premades I know and love are the ts3 ones. Yes, mostly just Sandi and Jade, but.
Page 242 of 242