Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 16th Aug 2018 at 2:10 AM
Default The Asian Persuasion; how to not make them look like they've all been whitewashed?
I was surprised to discover that until very recently, I'd never made an Asian Sim before. I've made every shade of chocolate as well as every shade of coffee, and I've gone across all sorts of sexual and identity spectrums, but I've never made an Asian Sim. And now that I've been trying to make some Japanese Sims, it really shows.
Could I get some advice? If I had to rate my own ability on making these Sims look like I intend to, with a 0 being completely different and wrong, and a 10 being entirely satisfactory, I'd say I'm at a 6 or 7.

CEO character

aide character #1

aide character #2

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 16th Aug 2018 at 10:19 AM
I would study the Sims in Sim Shangla whatever it is called, where my Sims are now and also get photos of real Asian people and try to copy them as much as possible. My Sim there now is one that my Sim married from there and they are now there with their daughter. He happens to have one of the rather square face shapes with a more flat profile, like some Asians have.

I think the eyes of #1 look the most Asian. Other than that though, I would not read these Sims as Asian looking.
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 16th Aug 2018 at 11:08 AM
Maybe try this skin - http://hello-domo-bear.tumblr.com/p...default-for-men

(sorry, but none of the pics look asian to me, last guy looks a bit like Robert Downey Jr.)
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 17th Aug 2018 at 7:58 PM Last edited by chocoberrychoco : 17th Aug 2018 at 8:13 PM. Reason: Got curious about the sims
I think their nose bridges are a little too defined, try bringing that slider down a little. And maybe also try making the noses a little shorter so they don't stand out so much in the profile. I also kinda think their eyes are a little too big, but that could just be personal preference. Maybe try making the face shapes a little softer too.

Edit: Does the second sim (the woman) have blue eyes? lol
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 17th Aug 2018 at 8:22 PM
Will do. Clearly I'm doing something wrong with the overall softness of the faces. Also, yeah her eyes are a dark blue. Why?

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 17th Aug 2018 at 8:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
Also, yeah her eyes are a dark blue. Why?

Haha, it just kinda caught me off guard. I was thinking dark brown and black eyes for Asian sims and the other two had them, so I did a double take when I noticed hers were slightly different. I didn't notice it the first time I looked so I just wanted to make sure I wasn't seeing things lol.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 18th Aug 2018 at 1:12 AM
I think the eyes on the first two characters are a little too slanted, I wouldn't make the rotation completely level, but it feels kind of exaggerated right now? Aide #2 has much more convincing eyes. I also prefer his brows.

For the female character specifically, her eyes look too deep set. This is also causing her sockets to be overly shadowed. I agree that their nose bridges are all a little too defined. Even if you don't want to emulate any specific people, I would still look at some direct reference to get a better feel for some of the features.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 18th Aug 2018 at 7:46 PM Last edited by daisylee : 18th Aug 2018 at 9:40 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by ameenah.n.y
I would still look at some direct reference to get a better feel for some of the features.

I totally agree. I have had Chinese and Japanese friends and seen thousands of Asians as many are here. All have had brown/black eyes and I do not recall seeing freckles ever. I worked just blocks from Chinatown in San Francisco. There are huge Asian communities there and where I am now. Check for pics of real Asians to get you on the right path.

https://www.google.com/search?sourc...1.0.h83Lu-au7Js
Theorist
#9 Old 18th Aug 2018 at 9:59 PM
wheres the pics?

#BlairWitchPetition
TS3 NEEDS: TENNIS COURTS > BUSES > PIGS/SHEEP
Can't find stuff in build and buy mode? http://www.nexusmods.com/thesims3/mods/1/?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#10 Old 19th Aug 2018 at 6:02 AM
Well I took all your advice but guys, I'm sorry, this is probably the best I'm able to do for now. I don't know why they look so un-Japanese. I guess everyone will just have to suspend their disbelief for the Asian-centric scenes. I can know what I want a Sim to look like, but that doesn't mean I can make it so.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#11 Old 19th Aug 2018 at 9:03 AM Last edited by daisylee : 19th Aug 2018 at 3:09 PM.
Just as I was totally curious as never have tried to make Asian Sims either, I did a quick Sim. Not perfect by any means but a tad Asian I think. Cannot get the nose right or eye depth with the standard sliders and I do not have custom ones. Did try to not make too over stereotypical for face shape and so on looking. Not a masterpiece, but I kind of like her. I probably could have picked some other EA noses as starting points, but did not want to spend that much time on her as this was really just a quick test.

Instructor
#12 Old 21st Aug 2018 at 5:15 AM
As an Asian (please no discrimination haha) I think we all tend to have smaller, longer eyes, no specific facial structure (not necessarily a literally long face), less deep facial structure (not really "carved out" or having deep eyes)

Good luck with your work!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#13 Old 21st Aug 2018 at 1:41 PM
Yeah like I said, it's exactly my point that I don't want to make a mockery of any group of people. I have to do my best to make people look believable, or I'll represent them so poorly that it comes off as being in poor taste. I've had to practice a little on each race and ethnicity. I'm white as; the game is somewhat white-centric; thus obviously it didn't take very long for me to figure that part out but if I'm going to have white Sims that everyone will find agreeable, I should do the same for every shape, size and color.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#14 Old 21st Aug 2018 at 5:01 PM Last edited by daisylee : 22nd Aug 2018 at 1:33 AM.
As said, I think you will do best if you research photos of real Asian people. It may help you get on the right track.

edit: When I was just out there was a father and 2 little girls I saw. I will guess Japanese. Darker skin, somewhat flatish profiles, delicate features. Good looking fellow and beautiful little girls. I showed some restraint and did not ask to take their pictures for you.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#15 Old 25th Aug 2018 at 10:02 PM
Well like I said, there's 4 billion Asians in the world so I imagine I can find a few pictures

insert signature here
#16 Old 28th Aug 2018 at 7:13 AM
I wager that most Asians wouldn't really see these as "whitewashed", considering the sims I've seen on Asian sites.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#17 Old 28th Aug 2018 at 1:17 PM
Good to know, I'll give them some minor tweaks and get on with my episode.

insert signature here
Test Subject
#18 Old 14th Sep 2018 at 10:58 AM
First, daisylee your quick character attempt actually looks South American or Middle Eastern. Japanese people have very light skin, the darker skinned Asians are usually part of the Indochinese peninsula or the Pacific Islanders.
GrijzePilion, your second set of attempt photos were actually pretty great. The third guy looked half-white, but it really seemed that was what you were going for with the eye color and freckles lol. The female and old man were so good that I would request downloads... you definitely put some effort into the changes. In the future, if you still want to make Asian characters, I think that you're right to start out with a very specific race. Japanese looks very different from Korean, Chinese, Taiwanese, Filipino, and so on. It gives you a much better finished character, I've noticed (and not just for Asian characters). Same thing if you decide the person is half-white. I make a lot of half-Thai girls because I like the flat wide noses with puffy lips on a cute compact mouth and that wide facial structure with a pointy chin and rounded jaw...

Anyway, Pro Tip: Make two characters as close as you can to the faces/facial structures that you want and either use the CAS make-a-baby option to cycle through as many "baby" creations that you want until one is closer to the end result that you desire than either of the two starting creations. OR use NRAAS Master Controller to combine genetics of those two you made, or two other characters (downloaded or otherwise), and cycle through that preview make-a-baby screen until you reach the most desirable result.
The genetics rolling in this game can make a much more beautiful (and feature accentuating) Sim than you could with sliders.