Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Jul 2016 at 3:00 AM
Default can you tell what you set your height to in caw?
I have forgotten what height I picked and what I set my height to, I'm kinda worried that I set say the height to 200 and the map was different, im a anxious person so worry about these things even if I probably have picked the 200 and set height to 200. XD
Advertisement
dodgy builder
#2 Old 19th Jul 2016 at 3:34 PM
I don't like posting too much, it makes me feel like I'm taking over this forum.

... but I made Stranda very high and I think this will only be a problem when you make houses. If you want to make lots of highrises, you might get a too high warning. I get that often when I build on my castle island map on the top lot.

I also made like 3 different versions of my Stranda island before I was happy with the tall vs beach ratio.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Jul 2016 at 6:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
I don't like posting too much, it makes me feel like I'm taking over this forum.

... but I made Stranda very high and I think this will only be a problem when you make houses. If you want to make lots of highrises, you might get a too high warning. I get that often when I build on my castle island map on the top lot.

I also made like 3 different versions of my Stranda island before I was happy with the tall vs beach ratio.
I have made quite high places fin so hopefully I picked the right height XD You have lots of good advice and have helped me a lot so far so thanks
Space Pony
#4 Old 20th Jul 2016 at 1:41 PM
Try exporting your heightmap, than look under the heightmaps. It should tell you what height your world it that way. Sorry I can't be more descriptive, I don't have CAW or the Sims with me currently.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 20th Jul 2016 at 10:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ruffdog24
Try exporting your heightmap, than look under the heightmaps. It should tell you what height your world it that way. Sorry I can't be more descriptive, I don't have CAW or the Sims with me currently.

Ok i'll try it, thanks
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 14th Sep 2017 at 4:57 PM Last edited by lloyd118 : 14th Sep 2017 at 7:49 PM.
Sorry to bring this up again but am still trying to find out if there's away to find out a worlds maximum height, I did try exporting but it didn't work. Its actually really playing on my OCD that I can not find out what I set the maximum height to on my worlds

Well I managed to export the height map of my world but it still doesn't say what maximum height I used :L
Mad Poster
#7 Old 14th Sep 2017 at 10:59 PM
Just raise the terrain somewhere as high as you can and that will show you how high is the max for the world. I always use the 300 but to me that is pretty meaningless as I tend to go nowhere near that high most of the time. And I pay zero attention to the #s. Just look to see if you have enough height for what you need.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 15th Sep 2017 at 12:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
Just raise the terrain somewhere as high as you can and that will show you how high is the max for the world. I always use the 300 but to me that is pretty meaningless as I tend to go nowhere near that high most of the time. And I pay zero attention to the #s. Just look to see if you have enough height for what you need.

Thanks for replying yeah thats a good idea, what I always am worried about is that I picked a max height thats different to the map,
Mad Poster
#9 Old 17th Sep 2017 at 7:06 AM
??? You want a difference as I understand it. I normally pick 100 for the map and 300 for the max. I then can work anywhere in that range.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 17th Sep 2017 at 1:45 PM Last edited by lloyd118 : 17th Sep 2017 at 3:14 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
??? You want a difference as I understand it. I normally pick 100 for the map and 300 for the max. I then can work anywhere in that range.

Oh right, so its ok to pick a different max height to what the png says? I usually pick 200 map and the 200 height XD Right now I have been using the 1280_200 by Richdre, I probs should of asked them what height is best to use with it first
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 17th Sep 2017 at 4:28 PM
OMG I just found the best map option for me with my fav height..its the 1280 but has the 100 height which is best for me as making a flatish world http://potato-ballad-sims.tumblr.co...w-map-sizes-3x3 has anyone used these?
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 17th Sep 2017 at 10:10 PM
It's a relative based setting = A heigtmap is greyscaled, the darker on the map the lower the landscape is (in CAW as in the game), lighter is higher on the map... White is the highest you can go, black the lowest (deepest sea level).

The max heigth setting sets how high the white is, 100,200 or 300 x1 tile stairs, the larger the number the higher the map's white and the height scale. 100 is applied in build mode ingame (can't raise higher than that from "base lot heigth level" -same counts for lowering if more than 100 above sea level-

hope I gave a clean explanation...
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#13 Old 17th Sep 2017 at 10:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Anno2015
It's a relative based setting = A heigtmap is greyscaled, the darker on the map the lower the landscape is (in CAW as in the game), lighter is higher on the map... White is the highest you can go, black the lowest (deepest sea level).

The max heigth setting sets how high the white is, 100,200 or 300 x1 tile stairs, the larger the number the higher the map's white and the height scale. 100 is applied in build mode ingame (can't raise higher than that from "base lot heigth level" -same counts for lowering if more than 100 above sea level-

hope I gave a clean explanation...

What my issue is, is that I have bad OCD and since there is no evidence that states what height and map you picked in the beginning, I'm constantly thinking 'what if I picked a 100map and 200 height' etc. its really hard to understand unless you have OCD about it XD Really there should be a way to tell in the codes somewhere but there isn't, I've even opened the world up in sp3e and nowhere states the max height, I dont even know if its something I should worry about but some tuts say the max height must be the same as what the PNG says.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 18th Sep 2017 at 11:25 PM Last edited by Anno2015 : 22nd Sep 2017 at 5:19 PM.
The numbers with the standard maps are the numbers best fitting by that map, the heigt they are designed for... If you take a flat map you'll see how lower the number the lighter the color is (black to grey) -> if not the floor may come under water (the higer the number the lower the -relative- waterlevel on the height scale)...

It's all about proportions, when a map designed for 100 is used with 300 a hill can become a mountain, usign a 300 map with 100 setting and a valley can become a sea. So in the end it doesn't matter for acceptance (in caw or game) only for (beauty of) design. And that...that is and will stay taste if you think your map is a beauty the chosen max heigth will never be the problem!

Ofcourse it's possible to trace the chosen max heigthlevel but I couldn't tell you how... will take a quick look

Edit: in the files or Caw I can't find chosen max height of worlds I edited, only by experience I can guess the chosen max height by heigth difference between sealevel and highest possible point...