Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Jun 2017 at 11:50 PM
Default Apparently this needs some feedback.
Hello!

My lot has been rejected a few times now and I'm a bit confused as to how I'm supposed to adjust the architecture of this house of mine.
I started out describing it as a American style monitor barn made in to a home, cause that was what I was inspired by when I went in to build the house.

Here is a picture of what I was inspired by:
3 story monitor barn

As you can see on the link, this monitor barn is a 3 story type, and the first two times I uploaded, the issue was, according to the moderators that reviewed my lot, that a monitor barn only has 2 floors. In this case I was only INSPIRED BY monitor barns, and it was never my intention to actually build a monitor barn.

Third time I upload the lot, I changed the name of the lot from The Monitor to Mahogany Estate, and didn't describe it as being inspired by monitor barns, but then I got the reply that it was an architectural issue with the lot that got it rejected.

Clearly you must be able to understand my confusion. I was told that I could seek help in this forum. So my question is: What is wrong with this house since it can't be submitted? Pictures and lot file below.

Best regards

Frode0107
Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Mahogany Estate.rar (1.93 MB, 7 downloads) - View custom content
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 27th Jun 2017 at 5:45 AM
Hi Frode0107
Your house has many fine points. I think the problem is that the first floor doesn't seem like it belongs to the rest of the house. It throws off the proportions of the structure. I would consider removing the floor that is at ground level and having only the two levels that have the wood exterior. Many of your rooms are larger than they need to be, so it should be possible to include all the important living spaces on two levels. You can also consider adding a basement level and include the rooms that are currently on the third floor (training room and hobby room) into the basement. Basically, it would mean having a living area, dining area, kitchen area and study on the first (ground level) floor, and then the bedrooms and bathroom on the second floor. If you really want to keep the three levels, the first level should have the same exterior as the other two levels.

Also, the front and the back of the house should balance. I like your garden area, with the trellis between the house and the garage, but that arrangement, plus the large windows in the back, mean that the roof in the front porch area and at the back are different. That could work in some style houses, but I don't think it works in yours. I think you need to make the roof in the back match the roof in the front, and then rework the garden.

A more minor point is the windows. There are too many in some places and not enough in others. While the windows on each level don't have to match exactly in number and placement, there should be a harmony in the arrangement, when viewed from the outside. I am not a big fan of the palladium windows over the large modern windows in the back of the house.

Overall, I like the house. I think with a bit of reworking, it can soon be available to all of MTS to download and enjoy. Good luck!

Need help building? Mentoring4Builders: Click Here
Get in the swim- Mermaidia
New at Simszoo
Mad Poster
#3 Old 27th Jun 2017 at 8:34 AM
I probably should not comment as am not good at it at times. I can see a lot of work and I can see much that is good.

But I can also see a very odd floor plan, some rooms with odd furnishings or not enough and/or odd placement. There really is not a theme. It is not country, it is not modern. There are Victorian things. There is no color scheme really other than all the wood. It all just looks very disjointed to me. It is hodge podge to me. The black ceilings. The white ceilings. The odd window placement.

I agree with attuned. A barn should be comfy and I do not see harmony here either. The elements are fighting one another.

I think your basic concept is good and much is well done, but if I were to download this I would have to rework a lot of it. Hope you can play with it and come up with something that is approved.
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
#4 Old 27th Jun 2017 at 1:09 PM Last edited by heaven : 27th Jun 2017 at 3:15 PM.
Part of the problem with the "3 story inspiration" and 3 story sim lot is proportion. What looks like 3 stories in the inspiration picture is probably more like 2 stories, with the lower level having taller wall heights than the upper loft. You could achieve a similar look with the use of dummy levels. The lower level for barns makes sense to be higher than a standard wall height because of farm equipment, farm animals, etc and the windows along the side of the 'second story' are likely windows set high in the wall of the bottom level. Additionally, as was mentioned in one of your messages, the width is not proportional either. To look like your inspiration picture, the bottom level should be at least double the width of the top.

Here's a little thing I drafted up, kind of an example pulling directly from your inspiration picture. I don't have any CC in my game but, if I did, I would use some windows that came with low options, like the ones in this set by mutske so I could put windows on the dummy level along the sides.

To achieve this, I created 3 levels, then lowered the middle level down to half wall height using CFE. If you're not familiar with the CFE cheat, armiel has a lovely set of videos.
Screenshots

Heaven Sims | Avendale Legacy
"On the internet, you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid."
Mad Poster
#5 Old 28th Jun 2017 at 6:26 AM
I think even if the whole barn inspiration is scrapped this lot just does not make sense to me. One example, and this is just my opinion, the entrance is at the very back along a narrow walkway into the kitchen by bathrooms, where you pretty much walk into a counter or the staircase. in RL houses generally are not done like that. The entrance is the first impression and opens to the living area most often. It is not an obstacle course to get to the living area.

In most houses you do not walk the length of the house in the living area to get to a bathroom from the far bedroom in your pjs as the bath is at the other end at the entry. There are floor plan issues that I would have to change. I think the house has potential, but some things do not work for me.

I think it can be salvaged as a lot is very well done, but for me some floor plan, window, and furnishing changes would be needed to make it even better. Play with it and see what you can do.