Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Sep 2018 at 12:27 AM Last edited by Ceb_LoyalMutt : 26th Sep 2018 at 2:17 AM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Certain Ghost Types and Hair
My game has been like this from the beginning, but I've seen images online where people don't seem to have this issue, so...

Certain ghost types (Electric, Drowning, Fire- anything with one of those neat effects filter things-) don't do so well with hair. If my ghost is wearing anything that isn't a hat, you can't see their face.

I'm not really sure what's going on, because it only affects hair, even hair with a hat

If anyone knows what I could do about this, it's much appreciated! So far, I've determined that it isn't my graphics settings, but nothing further.
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 30th Sep 2018 at 8:59 PM
Only thing I can think of is that scuba helmet might not have backfaces, which makes the back of the mesh black and therefore make the face visible over it?

To explain, TS3 meshes aren't textured on both sides; one side has texture, the other is black. So when you make a hair where the inside of it would be visible (like in your first and third pics), you want both sides to have texture so that you won't see an empty black void of despair This is accomplished by duplicating the hair mesh and flipping the textured side so that it faces the inside, thereby ending up with a mesh with texture visible on both sides. As the helmet doesn't show skin/hair/material beyond the part where it connects to the face, I can only assume EA didn't bother including a textured backface.

Tl;dr: it's normal.

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Oct 2018 at 5:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sweetdevil
Only thing I can think of is that scuba helmet might not have backfaces... As the helmet doesn't show skin/hair/material beyond the part where it connects to the face, I can only assume EA didn't bother including a textured backface.

Backfaces, of course! You know, I'd actually completely forgotten they were a thing.

Quote: Originally posted by sweetdevil
TL;DR, it's normal

That's kinda disappointing, not gonna lie. Death by fire is pretty common (not that I would know why) and seeing the back of the hair through the front of the face is kinda messy/annoying. Ah well, I can live with it ;P

Thanks for your insight!
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 3rd Oct 2018 at 8:35 PM
This game engine, like most other game engines, doesn't draw backfaces, look at the body of your sim, you can see the front, but can you see the back while looking through the front.

The hair is where the problem lies, imho something about the specular settings isn't playing nice with the transparency shader they use for ghosts.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 8th Oct 2018 at 7:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Bejaymac
This game engine, like most other game engines, doesn't draw backfaces, look at the body of your sim, you can see the front, but can you see the back while looking through the front.

Huh. Well, I mean, when you say it like that, I guess it's not the backfaces after all.

Quote: Originally posted by Bejaymac
The hair is where the problem lies, imho something about the specular settings isn't playing nice with the transparency shader they use for ghosts.

Sadly, this has us back at square one. 'Cause you'd think something this in your face would've been caught sooner, yeah? So I figure this has gotta be something on my end, since I couldn't find anyone asking about this before.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 8th Oct 2018 at 11:24 AM
Not just on your end as I get it as well with some death types, electrocuted being the main offender, think it's one of those things where most have just shrugged, gone "meh" and ignored it.