Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Feb 2010 at 1:36 AM
Default question about objtool
i hate to be redundant, but i guess not enough to actually not do it : )

i posted in the objtool thread this question but no one's been there.

as i work on meshing, my objtool opens and locates the files after i do the S3OC to scp3 route. but it doesn't open it it gives an error, dword error.

the objtool forum points to

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...n&stype=s_basic

but none of these files list studio 2008 runtime. i don't see that i have that program installed in the programs list in the control panel on the pc either, or 2005 as listed by someone else. but the program does open. so is this an error of not having that visual studio runtime file, or is the fact the program opens evidence that the file is there but not evident to me (for whatever reason).

if it is the need of the visual studio runtime file, does anyone know which of these packages has that file? there are visual studio shell files and such, that list integrated and isolated, are one of these the files, does it matter which one?

if it is not the need of the file, does anyone have any familiarity with the dword file error?

thanks for any help
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 27th Feb 2010 at 7:07 PM Last edited by Ceixari : 2nd Mar 2010 at 7:31 AM.
Did you export the MODL and MLOD records from S3PE? The objTool uses the exports. If so, might be a good idea to attach a dump of the error and maybe the file (zipped of course) you're trying to use with the tool.
Alchemist
#3 Old 27th Feb 2010 at 7:25 PM
The ObjTool is gonna open and try to run whether you have the Visual Studio thing installed or not is my guess. Then it tries to decompile your Mlod or Modl, reaches for the Visual Studio thing, doesn't find it, and errors out.

You need to install Visual Studio for the ObjTool to work...you don't have it so the tool isn't working.

In the original thread Wes was asked the same question you're asking several times and he answered it several times.

Go back and read through the thread and you'll find his answer to your question. Posts 64-70 should be on point for you.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 27th Feb 2010 at 7:34 PM
The item on the list of the link you showed: Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86) should be the one you want to install.

Brief Description
The Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86) installs runtime components of Visual C++ Libraries required to run applications developed with Visual C++ SP1 on a computer that does not have Visual C++ 2008 SP1 installed.
Alchemist
#5 Old 27th Feb 2010 at 7:47 PM
Point being that you shouldn't assume you're the first and only one who isn't getting it. If there's a thread on topic, chances are that someone else wanted to know the same thing about that topic as you do. So rather than posting the same question for the fourth time in a single thread, read through the thread first to make sure the question hasn't already been asked and answered.

There's usually a lot of information to be found in the threads below a tool download around here
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 27th Feb 2010 at 8:07 PM
Default thanks guys
okay i see where i am in this thanks for the quickie answers
sorry to ask for something there was already an answer too : |
Alchemist
#7 Old 27th Feb 2010 at 9:39 PM
No apology needed Canyon. I was just wanting to point out to you, since you're new and might not know, that threads often contain more than people saying thank you for this new tool. It's helpful to read through the whole thing because the answer you need is sometimes already in there.

And sorry if my post came across snarky...I didn't mean for it to.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 1st Mar 2010 at 11:43 PM
okay i have the correct 2008 redistributable visual c++ 64 bit runtime installed but! same error

error reads simply

ERR: File Read (Dword) Error.

clueless still? or has anyone else had this?
Alchemist
#9 Old 2nd Mar 2010 at 12:05 AM Last edited by orangemittens : 2nd Mar 2010 at 12:29 AM.
Well, at the risk of wading into deep water...are you getting this error message with a single thing you're trying to decompile or are you getting it with many different things you're trying to decompile?

It would be most helpful if some computery person wandered in about now...lol.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 2nd Mar 2010 at 1:22 AM
it's happening with all objects i have tried
i haven't tried a body mesh or anything
In the Arena
retired moderator
#11 Old 2nd Mar 2010 at 1:40 AM
Why don't you list down your meshing procedure, step-by-step?

Or I might have missed it - when does the error occur; ie at what step is this? Exporting from s3pe? Opening in ObjTool? Decompiling?
Alchemist
#12 Old 2nd Mar 2010 at 2:13 AM Last edited by orangemittens : 2nd Mar 2010 at 2:32 AM.
If this is happening with every object then it would seem that something is wrong with your system...which could be that you have a wrong version of something installed, you have some environment variable not right, or some other thing that I have no idea about. I'm not a programmer so I can't help you there.

I guess the question is whether this tool is still being supported...and maybe it isn't...if me and Ella are the only ones answering you after you posted in the tool thread and now here it would seem the answer to that question might be no. Although, certainly, I would expect some formal statement of such...so maybe I'm just misinterpreting the lack of response on this and other questions in other threads.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 2nd Mar 2010 at 6:14 AM
yes i clone the object in s3oc, dump the contents in s3pe, then attempt to open the mlod in objtool. it sees the file fine, it will tell you the details in the file like the number of verts and stuff. when i try to decompile from there is where the error occurs.

i'm gonna try it out on a few other pc's tomorrow that last step and see what's going on, they have different oses.

i am gonna get milkshape, but i'm already a credible modeler with blender. honestly, i love that program, it's an amazing and fast fast fast modeler.
Field Researcher
#14 Old 2nd Mar 2010 at 7:31 AM
At first I thought it might be a 64 bit problem, but I've read through the whole of the ObjTool thread and other people are using 64 bit OSes as well, so that should not be the problem.

I can only repeat that it might be a good idea to attach a screenshot of the error and maybe the file (zipped of course) you're trying to use with the tool.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#15 Old 2nd Mar 2010 at 2:15 PM
Canyon please post your OS system specs, I may have missed whether you have 32 or 64 bit.

Also please post a screen shot of your Programs installed, as shown in mine (from control panel). I would like to see what is installed. As you can see I have 2005 for both x86 and x64, all the tools work fine. I've no idea why I don't have 2008, I can only guess something else I've installed added it.

I'm not sure but the x86 and x64 versions I think refer to the application and what it was written in and not what your actual OS is.
Screenshots
Alchemist
#16 Old 2nd Mar 2010 at 9:59 PM
In the ObjTool thread the OP said he's on Vista 64-bit. As far as the Visual Studio Runtime goes, the x86 version is for 32-bit systems although a 64-bit system can use it also. The x64 version is for 64-bit systems and can only be used by a 64-bit system.

Maybe this is a silly thing to try but I'm wondering if things would work better if Canyon tried the x86 version instead of the x64 one. In looking up the meaning of dword it seems (although the discussions I've found are over my head) that it is involved with (or affected by) the bit size of your machine.

Canyon, it still seems like your issue might be related to the Visual Studio...especially since your ObjTool is able to provide you with info on the MLOD but not decompile it for you and since it happens with every object you've tried. Which objects have you tried by the way?...standard pieces of furniture and such? When you say you, "dump the contents in s3pe..." you do mean that you're using S3PE to export the MLODs and MODL's to a work folder right?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 2nd Mar 2010 at 11:03 PM
yes that's correct
i have the mlod contents from s3p3

here's the entire process i did:
s3oc, cloned package
s3pe, dumped contents of package and retrieved the mlod
then at s3objtool, i am having this problem on 2 machines now (although both vista 64...i really thought one was a 32 but nope.)

here's a snapshot of the installed programs on the latest try pc a laptop with vista 64.
i tried with just the 2008 64, no good, so what the hell installed the 32 bit one too. still no luck
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#18 Old 2nd Mar 2010 at 11:04 PM
fence_deck_wood as per the tutorial, and one that was a table are the ones i have tried.

again, the objtool reads the verts in the file when you click mlod details,

MODL Bounds:
Min = -0.070805 -0.002594 -0.070500
Max = 0.070195 1.347006 0.070500
Group Count = 1
Group 0: Faces = 92, Vertices = 178, Matl_block = 2

but upon decompiling i get

ERR: File Read (Dword) Error.

i've checked permissions counterintuitive that is (since it is a newly created file), but all permissions are, well, permissive.
Alchemist
#19 Old 2nd Mar 2010 at 11:05 PM
I am still not understanding your use of the word dump here.

What you should be doing after cloning your object is opening s3pe, choosing file/open, navigating to the package you created with the cloner and opening it. Then when the list forms you should be right clicking on the MLOD line and choosing Export/To File and navigating to your working file. Once there you save the MLOD into that file. Then you're ready to decompile the MLOD.

Is this what you're doing?

Also, that screenshot doesn't show where you have either of the Visual Studio files installed. Open up your WINVISTA (C: ) folder and from there open up your Program Files (x86) folder and take a picture of the Visual Studio folder there. Then open the Program Files folder which should be located above it and do the same thing.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#20 Old 2nd Mar 2010 at 11:12 PM
uh oh i bet that's it you guys are gonna be so mad...i thought i was just aiming at the 2008 c++ runtime. there is no visual studio folder in program files (x86).
Alchemist
#21 Old 2nd Mar 2010 at 11:15 PM
snicker...I *knew* this was gonna end up an installation thing. What about the other folder...the Program Files folder? The one with no x86 after the words Program Files. If the Visual Studio is absent from that one also my bet is that this is your problem. And I'm not mad...don't worry about it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#22 Old 2nd Mar 2010 at 11:17 PM
http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...5#startcomments

here at post 70 wes mentions

microsoft visual c++ 2008 redistributalble package (x86) for that person, but maybe that guy already has visual studio
Test Subject
Original Poster
#23 Old 2nd Mar 2010 at 11:18 PM
lol looking brb
Test Subject
Original Poster
#24 Old 2nd Mar 2010 at 11:19 PM
nope i'm checking the download center page now
Alchemist
#25 Old 2nd Mar 2010 at 11:22 PM
Hmmm...I think you should just take a picture of what you've got in your two program files folders.
Page 1 of 3