Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
#2526 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 5:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by PlatinumPlumbbob
Maximizing Logic Skill: unlock the telescope. Sims can use the telescope to earn a living wage and help family members gain logic skills and get abducted by aliens. Unlocking telescopes also signifies the invention of the calendar and the holidays or formalized religious celebrations. In Sim terms, throwing parties is unlocked. There will be a major religious celebration during every season, and the object of worship will depend on the tribe. The Ugh tribe is, I think, animist. I haven't made up my mind about the other two, but I plan on making one polytheist and the other exclusively monotheist.

Bronze Gardening Badge: unlock fertilizer and compost bins.
Silver Gardening Badge: unlock ladybug houses and irrigation sprinklers. No more carrying water manually from a well!
Gold Gardening Badge: unlock the greenhouse technology and sunlamps and garden club membership.

The seeds unlocked at each level by the game will be usable in a certain location. I imagine tomatoes are the staple food, because it is reliable and can grow anywhere. A tribe may have received its first gold gardening badge, but it may not grow eggplants because of location on the terrain map.

Oh man, I wish I'd thought of this! Just the idea alone of excluding certain crops based on geography is quite awesome. I wonder now what I can work in from this...

I let them write the moment they left the neanderthal gens, but I've been thinking about things like chemistry and inventing... I can have them practice alchemy in the dark ages and inventing in the Renaissance, which is how I was planning on playing it. But I just realized that the tribes that know a lot of other sims or are wealthier should have better crops... I was letting them all just use whatever.
It'd be hard for me to unlock things that don't belong to the era I'm playing though.

Coffee beans I'll restrict to the Emperors now, I think, and herbs to the Patricians, but maybe sims that have mastered cooking can get rare ingredients? Hmm.

I do have a couple of cheatier slave families though for interest who I let own bars and run something like a moonshine business, those ones are also the families that risk owning expensive items. I'll have them buy items that are over 1000 simoleans and have them bank on the item's depreciation before a member of the Emperor family strolls by to accuse them of stealing.

Bread edges.... are the new white meat.
READ the Sparrows Random Legacy Challenge Blog
READ the Sparrows WISHACY Challenge Blog
WATCH the Test of Time Challenge Let's Play! Videos
Advertisement
Inventor
#2527 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 8:23 AM
I kinda wish I had done something to simulate the discoveries (hunting farming, etc), but no way am i going to restart now just to include them. I finally have Gen three sims born, and it took way too long to get here. I have five gen three babies right now (two sets of twins and a single), and in three or so rounds (just altered my aging mod, so I'm not quite sure of the time frame) I FINALLY get to get out of the neanderthal era. I'm so excited for that. I've been clothes shopping the past couple of days, but most need a bit of dyeing (recoloring) before I'll use them. I like having my rainbow of colors with people dressed similarly. Plus if I designate a style or two of outfit for each class, I'll be able to tell my classes apart at a glance, but no way am I using only one or two colors total. Which is what it seems like a lot of clothes are, mostly because they're from a certain period and the creators were staying historically accurate... Anyway, if anyone wants them, I'll have the recolors on my website once they're made. As well as the spacesuits that my ToT sims are currently wearing. Once I finish tweaking them. I just altered the mesh so that everyone but the teens have a slightly longer skirt, and I'm toying with making them separates. But I also need to mess with the tops a bit too to fix an issue with the shoulder area that's been slightly bugging me for eons now. And maybe lower the neckline a bit... But I'm off to get back to my game. Six more families and this round is officially done (I play one day rotations and seven of those make a round) ~VP

I'll stop being anti-social when the rest of the world quits being idiots!

My Own Website! www.violetpadfootscreations.weebly.com
Lab Assistant
#2529 Old 2nd Jul 2015 at 7:59 PM
Hello. I just started this challenge and I'm having lots of fun so far. My sims are still in the neanderthal age and right now, their offspring are about to all become children.. However, I don't want to send them all to school.. and I don't want to spend money on cavemen clothes, because I have a hell of a hard enough time just providing them with shelter.. [There is only two cribs for one family with TWO sets of twins.. The four kids and their parents all have to crowd into a small two by four room.. (with two cribs in it, I must remind you.) It amazes me that they even manage to fit in there together.]

Does anyone know where how I can get free clothing, so my game stays the theme it should? Right now, it looks like the modern age already with the clothes they have on! My other question is about school.. Is there a way to stop them from going without having a social worker come?
Thanks! This is also my first serious attempt at a challenge..
Sorry if this has already been asked before.
Field Researcher
#2531 Old 2nd Jul 2015 at 11:14 PM
@SimmingSince7 if i don't misunderstand, you have already prehistoric-ish clothes and your sims just don't have money to buy them, right? then you could use this hacked coat hook http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=225251 to get free, period appropriate clothing for your sims As for the school question: flexi school is definitely what you're looking for. it's a custom school, where children actually have 0 hours of school per day. the schoolbus does not come if all the children on the lot are in flexi school and their grades just stay whatever they were before changing school (except you let them do the homework specially made by inge for home schooling as PlatinumPlumbbob mentioned). just don't forget to also download the school changer, otherwise you can't get them into flexi school.

Visit My Test of Time Challenge: wordpress & livejournal
Lab Assistant
#2532 Old 2nd Jul 2015 at 11:40 PM
It sucks they still have to do homework.. Real cavemen were lucky they never had to deal with that sort of thing. Haha. These mods will make great additions to their lives. Thanks.
Lab Assistant
#2534 Old 3rd Jul 2015 at 12:09 AM
Hmmm.. Interesting. I will make it to where only the rich families can attend during the roman age.
Field Researcher
#2535 Old 3rd Jul 2015 at 12:40 AM Last edited by cespencer7 : 25th Jul 2015 at 6:59 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by palhoncho
abcbok, I have that same problem! I'm so, so, so sick of looking at these stupid caveman huts! I find I don't even care when my sims die, I'm just like "cool, one less household to play." I was doing the mixing of building and playing, too, but it's just made me really eager to get started with Greece. Maybe I'll try doing shorter blog posts to save time? Mostly pictures, rather than any story? I dunno!

I've thought about shortening my time in each era to keep my interest longer. Maybe only 2-3 generations in each one? Any more than 3 sounds like torture to me, haha.

I found once the lots got to over 20 that it got boring quickly so I only did 2 generations in each age. For dark ages I added the besieged challenge for how and when Vikings attacked and who died or didn't die. For medieval, I wrote my own merry merchant challenge for my merchant class. II am glad I kept a blog and my notebooks. It's fun to read my own sites and remember since it was so long ago when I started.

I couldn't stay away from my Sims, they help my creative side come out! Taking a break from my RV life to take care of family issues, so Sims helps me to unwind. Let me know what you are up to with your Sims so I can check it out!
Instructor
#2536 Old 3rd Jul 2015 at 1:21 AM
@SimmingSince7 The kids don't have to do homework if you set them to flexi school. If you don't buy one of the classroom tables the performance meter will never go down. You could also just mod out the social worker.

Visit my ToT challenge here.
Lab Assistant
#2539 Old 3rd Jul 2015 at 5:20 PM
Hmm.. Yes, that's true and doesn't really come as a surprise. Most societies were male dominated. I just want to keep things gender neutral in my game and not really play exactly according to history. The nice thing about a sim game is you can choose whatever happens, since it's sandbox style game play. That's why I decided to ignore the skin color rule, last name, and job rule.

Thanks for the interesting info! You seem to know a lot about history.
Field Researcher
#2540 Old 3rd Jul 2015 at 7:14 PM
PlatinumPlumbomb- you really know your stuff- although there's beena lot of new gameplay perspectives lately and I'm very inspired!

I was avoiding community lot building (although usually I love that sort of thing)as after moving the whole neighborhood I just wanted to play again. But now that Gen 5 is well established in most families I took a break and made what will be a badass clothing store- Cove Clothiers.

I used the outfit pedastools from Into the Future and have set them so they are all Roman fashion, and whenever I play the lot and Sims buy from them they change their outfits- this will be fun as I made the patterns unique to the store with bolder colors.

Here's some pictures for the weekend- I won't be able to play but I've been prettifying everything where I can (resetting clothing is a constant if I want this challenge to be realistic looking).
Screenshots

Field Researcher
#2542 Old 4th Jul 2015 at 2:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lbsgirl24
@SimmingSince7 The kids don't have to do homework if you set them to flexi school. If you don't buy one of the classroom tables the performance meter will never go down. You could also just mod out the social worker.

I use Sophie David's rogue's barrel and set it to trash homework. That way the social worker won't ever come. When I start the renaissance age, I will stop using the barrels as education becomes important.
Ye Olde Cooper's Barrels for Brigands

I couldn't stay away from my Sims, they help my creative side come out! Taking a break from my RV life to take care of family issues, so Sims helps me to unwind. Let me know what you are up to with your Sims so I can check it out!
Lab Assistant
#2543 Old 5th Jul 2015 at 8:29 PM
Wow! That is quite an interesting mod. I'll be sure to toss the bills in there.. Real cavemen didn't have to pay those, so why should mine?
Inventor
#2545 Old 6th Jul 2015 at 8:01 AM
I just use the Visitor Controller to block mailpeople. They can't make it onto the lot, the bill never get delivered, and I don't have to worry about paying them or not. However eventually I may decide i want to use the postal system, specifically the postal system mod by MogHughson, so I'll have to let the mailpeople back on the lot, and then I just may use those barrels.

On another note, I finally, Finally, FINALLY finished Round Five and got my website updated. For the record, getting my Generations Pages to look the way I want is a PITA. Or rather waiting for Weebly to load the item I need when I need to put a lot of things on the page (or delete some to restore sizing) is what is annoying. Anyway, Round Five is done, and I'm ready to head into Round Six. ~VP

I'll stop being anti-social when the rest of the world quits being idiots!

My Own Website! www.violetpadfootscreations.weebly.com
Test Subject
#2546 Old 8th Jul 2015 at 6:33 AM
Hey everyone! I started this challenge about a month and a half ago, but finally got around to making an account on here and a blog site. I only have one post so far, but will be getting more up soon when it isn't 12:30 am and i don't have work the next day... my blog: http://www.westeriatestoftime.blogspot.com
Test Subject
#2548 Old 9th Jul 2015 at 6:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by PlatinumPlumbbob
Your link directs to an error page. Are you sure you typed in the URL of your blog correctly?

yeaaaah sorry about that. it's http://westeriatestoftime.wordpress.com
wordpress, not blogspot. i mixed them up >_< sorry 'bout that
Lab Assistant
#2549 Old 10th Jul 2015 at 11:19 AM
I'm glad to see so many more starting this challenge! I hope you'll stick around, it's a massive challenge but so much fun Seeing all your ideas is inspiring, and of course I'm hoping for lots of more blogs to read

I'm still not able to play my game since I'm temporarily living a life without a computer... which sucks, lol. I miss my sims so badly, and blogging too! I'm still not sure when I'll finally get my nerdy hands on my beloved computer again but if I'm lucky it'll be next week... I can only hope!

I hope you guys are enjoying your games while I can't, haha

Find my Test of Time Challenge here!
Field Researcher
#2550 Old 10th Jul 2015 at 2:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by bellmana0117
yeaaaah sorry about that. it's http://westeriatestoftime.wordpress.com
wordpress, not blogspot. i mixed them up >_< sorry 'bout that

The blog is cute- I really like your fishing hole community lot, and I forgot they can catch fireflies- such a cute interaction!

Also as you'e playing a bit differently, I look forward to seeing what you do once you're in the Roman era!

ABC- that sucks about your computer, but maybe you can go outside and enjoy the summer sun, while we still have it? O_o
Assuming you're in the US...
...Assuming you remember how to get outside, lol. Sims is so encompassing, it's hard to get back into a normal rhythm without playing all the time. But you us- we'll still be here when you get back!

Page 102 of 128