Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#26 Old 24th May 2011 at 9:28 AM Last edited by vel : 24th May 2011 at 10:11 AM.
In terms of merging... Do you think it's best to merge via creator name, or best to merge via type of item?
Screenshots
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#27 Old 24th May 2011 at 9:48 AM
Ah I am sorry if I called you an average user. Well if you are interested in learning about modding, visit Sims 3 Creation forum. They have more than enough tutorials as well as old discussions you can read to start modding.

"What exactly does it mean?" It means what it means. I am sorry to tell you, beside tutorials that guides you to do 1 thing with step by step instructions, there is not a single place on the web actually explains the grand structure of TS3 mod. If you find one, please let me know. It is like you can get directions to get to a specific restaurants, hotels, car rental places, etc... from the air port: "you follow A street, turn right into B street, left at C street and you are there". If you miss a step you will be lost. They don't provide a "map" for you to see the whole picture. It is very frustrating. In this message, it seems TS3 CC require to have its mesh put in certain order, I probably guess it is LOD meshes. If you have the knowledge, this may mean something more to you, but to both of us right now, we would have no idea how to fix it.

My friend, trying to find creator information via dissecting CC using S3PE or other tools is rather futile. They absolutely do not have to include any information while creating the mod. Beside the file name, there is almost no place to include information. Objects have the description input, and a lot of creators don't even write a lot there. Most of the clothing has no visible description. But in your case, you are in the right direction dissecting CC in hope to find any information on the creator, but ... don't get your hope too high. Regarding on fixing CC, give it up, unless you are really digging into become a full blown modder, which you said you have no interest in.

For a user, advanced user if you want to be called that, don't fix mods. If there is a conflict within CC made by the same author, probably the same type of CC (like there is a set of windows on MTS), it is probably be ok. But conflict between different CC can be problematic. Also to keep in mind that Sims 3 Dashboard is not absolutely and may give false positive. So if you do decide to keep conflicted CC in, you can attempt to push them to the limit by placing 10-20 of the conflicted objects save into a temp file. Do anything it takes to push them to crash your game. If your game still runs smoothly, then likely the conflict is false positive. That would be the quickest way to test out any questionable CC. Just don't save the game into your real saved file.

Like I said, give up the thought on fixing CC. It is too much work. I can tell you how to fix old skin files to be compatible with muscle slider or to make them default replacement or custom skin if you want, that I am very good at (and rather easy to do). But if you want to fix something more complex, it better be a CC that you can't live without, and you will have to spend your weekend dissecting that CC to see what went wrong, load/save, run/close TS3 a bunch of times, and probably take several weekends. It won't be a simple answer. Or if you want, point out a few CC, people may be able to tell you where the CC is from that you can get an update, or if it is worth fixing.

Quote: Originally posted by vel
In terms of merging... Do you think it's best to merge via creator name, or best to merge via type of item?

If you ask me, it does not matter one bit because of the way I merge. All my CC are there in "Packages" folder as I can play without merging. When I decide to merge, I merge them into a different folder, like "Packages2". Then I edit resource.cfg to point TS3 to look into "Packages2" instead of "Package". If I want to add/remove any CC, I just delete the big merged .package and merge again.

As you may know by now, .package files are nothing but just a container for just about anything for TS3. It can contain scripts, object, clothing, or ... just about anything.

But since you asked, I feel it may be better for you to merge by creators because you can take a creator offline instantly (by renaming the .package file) because if something is to go wrong, it is likely the creator's process of creation is questionable. But that is up to you to decide.

I work for a living, but I don't necessarily live for a working.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#28 Old 24th May 2011 at 10:14 AM Last edited by vel : 24th May 2011 at 11:08 AM.
I'll do it how I was doing it then, I just kind of wonder if merging all the files from a single creator ( see pic posted above ) would solve the conflicts they have with each other. I'm assuming the conflicts the involve the same author really are just blue prints the author uses for al; their work and delphys is reading each file and going " Oh, that blueprints in both of these files, Must be a problem! ". Thank you for the links, I will check them out.

Going through each catagory specifically and seeing if there are any conflicts, if there are conflicts between two items of the same creator that are in different folders I am taking them and putting them in one folder... Maybe combining them will get rid of the conflicts this way.

...It seems that it would be a good idea to keep creators of objects stuff together based on the creator rather then the type because they seem to conflict with each other if they are part of the same set D:
Top Secret Researcher
#29 Old 24th May 2011 at 10:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by vel
I'll do it how I was doing it then, I just kind of wonder if merging all the files from a single creator ( see pic posted above ) would solve the conflicts they have with each other. I'm assuming the conflicts the involve the same author really are just blue prints the author uses for al; their work and delphys is reading each file and going " Oh, that blueprints in both of these files, Must be a problem! ". Thank you for the links, I will check them out.

Going through each catagory specifically and seeing if there are any conflicts, if there are conflicts between two items of the same creator that are in different folders I am taking them and putting them in one folder... Maybe combining them will get rid of the conflicts this way.

I saw the screenshot. I can't say I am surprised.

At this point I would say it is not hurt to try, it may or may not weed out the conflict. But likely I am going to disregard it as false alarm when it comes from the same creator. Although you should try to "push it to the limit" to see if it crashes you via overloading conflicts, whatever the conflict may be.

I am personally against Peggysims. I have no problem with them making CC for donation money. And I believe they are also Asians. But despite the pretty screenshots, they seem to mass produce their CC, and some of them you can tell they create them so fast that they didn't fully test, leaving a lot of rather obvious discrepancies like hair floating above the head or leaving a bald patch somewhere. But one of the biggest problem is they care little about polygon counts as some of their hairs are VERY HIGH in polygons. Having 5-6 sims wearing these hairs can bring down an average computer and cause heavy FPS drop for faster computers. Maybe they have improved now, but I stopped touching Peggysims stuff long ago.

Not to mention the website is so hard to navigate. What is up with a lot of Asian sim website? They don't let users bookmark individual CC (and thus getting an URL from it) but put them in a long series of pages without search function. So to get to a certain CC, we have to remember what page it is on. Oh page 55 is where my favorite hair would be. After taking 3 hoops to get there, I find out my favorite hair had been pushed to page 57. I think Peggysims is very unfriendly toward Firefox or Chrome as well, and only display in IE. Don't call me racist because I am also Asian.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#30 Old 24th May 2011 at 11:10 AM Last edited by vel : 24th May 2011 at 11:21 AM.
I have another site that I get the peggy sims stuff from and it's much easier to navigate. >_> You're not a racist, lol, I think the site is hard to navigate too. I personally don't have any problem with high polygon count, at least I don't think, my only problem is memory usage... Does high poly hair make your memory usage go up?

I'm too much of a sucker for pretty hair so I have a lot of peggy stuff and new sea. x.x

...I have a lot of furniture / object files. I'm doing one folder at a time, then, after I resolve the conflicts between the different types of stuff ( By different i mean drastically different, patterns, objects, cas, ect ) I'll see if anything from the different catagories conflict.... ....
Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
#31 Old 24th May 2011 at 11:40 AM
What is "new sea"?

Memory usage is one draw back of high polygon count objects. Anyway, TS3 itself will not use more than 2Gb RAM. Although having more RAM in your system will help your computer to perform smoother as it can't hurt. But a typical computer that handles TS3 should have at least 4Gb RAM.

However, the thing that taxes your RAM more than polygon count is texture file size. Polygon count is how complex you tell TS3 to draw an object, texture file is how big of a picture you ask TS3 to paint on that 3D object.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#32 Old 24th May 2011 at 11:45 AM
I used the large address aware program so my sims game can use up to 4gb of ram. It helps, ALOT. New sea... Uhm, let me get you the link. I don't have any idea how many polygons their hair is, but the hair is very nice. Hmm...After googling it seems that new sea has moved all of their stuff to TSR. That's a dissapointment because I bet they made some of their content paid content...

I got all of it from their blog before they transferred to TR.

http://www.thesimsresource.com/artists/newsea

I have 274 new sea hairs, apparently.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#33 Old 24th May 2011 at 12:13 PM
There's no need to use LAA anymore if your game is patched, vel.

Also:
http://paysites.mustbedestroyed.org...ts3/tsr/newsea/
http://paysites.mustbedestroyed.org/booty/ts3/newsea/

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#34 Old 24th May 2011 at 12:15 PM Last edited by vel : 24th May 2011 at 12:32 PM.
Yeah I was afraid to post that link, lol... I don't know this sites policies on websites like paysites must go. That's where I got most of my stuff, however.

And actually you do have to use it, or it seems like you do anyways. My games patched - but it was only registering large address aware for outdoor stuff and late night, not the other x-pacs, and because of that I was getting LAA crashes / crashes due to not enough memory. I can't explain why, nor do I know why, but enabling LAA for ALL of my x-pacs resolved the problem...I think anyways.

...Eep I have 500+ Mutske items, I don't know if I can manage to merge ALL of those into a single package file without getting system out of memory. Oh well, might as well try...
Top Secret Researcher
#35 Old 24th May 2011 at 1:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
There's no need to use LAA anymore if your game is patched, vel.

Also:
http://paysites.mustbedestroyed.org...ts3/tsr/newsea/
http://paysites.mustbedestroyed.org/booty/ts3/newsea/

Did I mention I am bad with abbreviation? What is LAA?

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#36 Old 24th May 2011 at 1:03 PM
Large Address Aware... It enables your game to use up to 4gb of ram.
Top Secret Researcher
#37 Old 24th May 2011 at 1:13 PM
Hmmm, no need to use LLA if game is patched? I never see TS3 uses more than 1.7Gb RAM in Windows Task Manager. Is this normal?

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#38 Old 24th May 2011 at 1:16 PM
Depends on how much CC you have and how many expansions you have and a lot of things really. I know my game goes well over 2gb, but I also have 12 GB worth of mods. You shouldn't need LAA if you're games patched, but like I said, I still had problems. Outdoor living stuff and late night have LAA turned on by default, but prior expansions don't, and for me not having LAA turned on for the prior expansions caused me some problems. Oh, it depends on your operating system too, you'll have less problems if you are using windows XP. Windows 7 and vista take up almost a gigabyte of ram themselves just for running. Os's are a bit of a hog imo.
retired moderator
#39 Old 24th May 2011 at 1:41 PM
Perhaps you didn't fully patch everything - if you have everything patched, at least up to 1.17.60 / 2.12.8 / 3.8.6 / 4.5.6 / 5.2.4 (or later) then it should be enabled by default.

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Top Secret Researcher
#40 Old 24th May 2011 at 2:05 PM
I know my game is fully patch, unless there is a patch today.

retired moderator
#41 Old 24th May 2011 at 3:00 PM
tomomi - You can't be sure of that if you're using the Launcher only to check - that is, if it says "You're patched!" (or whatever the message is), it's not reliable. You need to actually check your patch versions against this: http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...ownload/Current

You can look up your game versions in the Launcher (as long as it's showing it accurately - sometimes it doesn't!) by hovering your cursor over the icon at the bottom of the Launcher screen and then comparing the numbers to the ones there. What matters is the first and second parts of the patch number - that is, base game version 1.17 vs. 1.19 and so forth.

Sometimes folks seem to get a bit confused on patch number - the first part of the number refers to the game itself - that is, 1.whatever is always the base game, 2.whatever is always World Adventures. The second part of the number is the actual patch version for that game, and that number counts up - that is. 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, etc., and two digits there are taken as a full number - that is, 1.19 is a higher patch number than 1.2 since 19 is higher than 2.

I may be over-explaining addressing this specifically to tomomi, but I know a lot of people get confused on this stuff and think if the Launcher says they're updated, it's fine, or don't understand exactly what the version numbers mean, or only update their base game but not everything.

I really should go through and overhaul that patching FAQ to make it more user-friendly.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#42 Old 24th May 2011 at 9:06 PM Last edited by vel : 24th May 2011 at 9:21 PM.
My game is 7.0.55.010001
No idea if that's fully patched or not.

Here's a pic of what all the x-pacs say. Am I patched, or do I need something?
Screenshots
retired moderator
#43 Old 24th May 2011 at 9:21 PM
That's only the patch version for Outdoor Living - your base game will be updated too with that (I think 1.19 is the OLS patch version) but you need to have -all- your EPs/SPs updated, not just the base game + latest. See the information I gave in my previous post.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#44 Old 24th May 2011 at 9:21 PM
I updated with a picture, can you take a look at it and tell me what you think?
retired moderator
#45 Old 24th May 2011 at 9:23 PM
You're not patched, no. Compare to this: http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...ownload/Current ... and download the ones you're missing.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#46 Old 24th May 2011 at 9:27 PM Last edited by vel : 24th May 2011 at 9:38 PM.
Bah. That page confuses me...

BAH! I when I went to install the game it told me I would have to patch to be able to install the next xpac, I figured it fully patched me....Do I completely need to reinstall the game or can I just install these on top of what I've already got?

Bad EA Is Bad...If you tell someone to 'patch' their game before installing the next xpac, it really should actually 'patch' your game. Ugh >_<
Site Helper
#47 Old 24th May 2011 at 9:59 PM
You forgot to mention that it should at least offer to patch everything that is installed and needs patching....

No you don't need to reinstall; just make sure to patch everything that the launcher was ignoring until you tried to add the new expansion.

(In your case that is everything from WA to Fast Lane. Download each patch and install it.)

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
retired moderator
#48 Old 24th May 2011 at 10:04 PM
Vel, you need to download the patches for everything but the base game. For example, see on your list how it says your World Adventures version is 2.0? That's the retail version, so you need to patch to 2.14 - download the EP 1 World Adventures Region 2 patch. For the rest of them, you can just get the region 1. For those that don't say "from any" make sure you get the "from 5.0" and "from 6.0" versions.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#49 Old 24th May 2011 at 10:08 PM
Why do I need region 2 for world adventures? I've already downloaded region 1 for that one >_<
retired moderator
#50 Old 24th May 2011 at 10:18 PM
Because your WA is Region 2 - your patch version ends with 2 for World Adventures (2.0.86.002002)

Page 2 of 3