Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
#801 Old 2nd Mar 2015 at 4:19 PM
For world book week at school I'm reading Diary of a wimpy Kid The long Haul. I'm only going to read it at school when we have to read because I din't want to finish the book before the school week is over, but as soon as the week is done I will Read it any time I like.

Life is like a rollercoaster. It has its ups and downs. But it's your choice to scream or enjoy the ride
Cottage feedback- would be greatly appreciated
Simple Holiday House - great for parties and relaxation
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#802 Old 16th Mar 2015 at 3:13 PM
A Day in the Life of Ancient Rome by Alberto Angela. Like being a tourist in Rome on a day in 115 CE - a great read.
Scholar
#803 Old 17th Mar 2015 at 4:27 AM
Finished Silas Marner, which I actually liked. Now it's on to The Raven Boys, The Sign of the Four, and Daisy Miller.

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
bleed-in-ink.tumblr.com
Field Researcher
#804 Old 26th Mar 2015 at 4:30 AM
Reading The Passage by Justin Cronin. I like it, but am only around 150 pages in. Despite the reviews saying the beginning is a quick read and a page-turner, I'm reading it very slowly. I like it, but it's very descriptive (sometimes I don't like that). He describes a lot, which I know is good, but sometimes I feel like it's too much... But yeah, I like it. I'll probably finish it in a year or so.
Mad Poster
#805 Old 26th Mar 2015 at 11:45 PM
1001 Arabian Nights, uncensored

I just finished the first out of 1001 stories told by Scherazade as part of her captivity by King Sharyar. Should she walk away from the deal, it's her life that ends early. Knowing she walks away with her life is the spoiler every knows, but what stories were told will make you ask for more.

Personal Quote: "I like my men like my sodas: tall boys." (Zevia has both 12 and 16 oz options)

(P.S. I'm about 5' (150cm) in height and easily scared)
Mad Poster
#806 Old 28th Mar 2015 at 12:05 AM
Just finished "'Safe' Is Not An Option," a book-length essay on why NASA's near-obsessive fixation on safety above all else is one of the biggest obstacles to human exploration of anything beyond low-Earth orbit... decidedly dry and inaccessible unless you've done quite a bit of background research, but still a very compelling case.

Now starting "The Murder Room," a chronicling of the Vidocq Society, which is a group of 82 of the most brilliant criminological and forensic minds in the world, who meet in an old Victorian dining room in Philadelphia once a month, to take on unsolved cold cases from law enforcement agencies all across the globe. You couldn't make up a more story-worthy organization!

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Test Subject
#807 Old 28th Mar 2015 at 2:30 PM
I just finished the book "Ripper" by Stefan Petrucha. It was an excellent book. It takes place in 1890's Manhattan. It's about a young orphan detective who starts to investigate the brutal murders in NYC. They are consistent with the Jack the Ripper murders in Whitechapel, London. He finds a connection between his biological father and Jack the Ripper and begins to investigate. I really enjoyed it.
Scholar
#808 Old 28th Mar 2015 at 6:13 PM
Finished Agent 6 by Tom Rob Smith, now starting Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman
Mad Poster
#809 Old 15th Apr 2015 at 8:48 AM
Just finished Contact, by Carl Sagan, another book that I read when I was way too young to actually get it. Sagan may get mocked mercilessly today (I'm honestly not sure why, when similar figures like Bill Nye and Neil DeGrasse Tyson aren't), but he still managed to make the universe seem even more amazing than science can prove thus far, while never outright contradicting it.

Mad Poster
#810 Old 15th Apr 2015 at 10:32 AM
Finally finished Dresden files. Now I'm trying out a YA series, H.I.V.E. which I've not quite made my mind up on yet. I think I have to get through the first, maybe the second to decide.
Top Secret Researcher
#811 Old 15th Apr 2015 at 1:21 PM
Just finished reading The Fault in Our Stars, it's amazing and is now my favourite book, I want to buy the movie now I really hope it's as good as the book.

Life is like a rollercoaster. It has its ups and downs. But it's your choice to scream or enjoy the ride
Cottage feedback- would be greatly appreciated
Simple Holiday House - great for parties and relaxation
Test Subject
#812 Old 15th Apr 2015 at 7:52 PM
I am reading The Hunger Games book after I finished watching the first 3 movies. You might say it's silly if I know the story already but I want some comparison, maybe there's something in the book that isn't in the movies and vice-versa? Besides, I am a fan of The Hunger Games series.
Instructor
#813 Old 16th Apr 2015 at 7:14 AM
I'm reading a double-novel book by Nathanael West. The first novel was Miss Lonelyhearts which was kind of disturbing. The second, which I'm currently reading, is The Day of the Locust. The last one seems a bit more promising, and I think it is quite intriguing how social problems, depravity and violence haven't changed much since the '30s.

Me, me, me against them, me against enemies, me against friends, somehow they all seem to become one, a sea full of sharks and they all smell blood.
Mad Poster
#814 Old 20th Apr 2015 at 2:02 AM
Finished up Robert Zubrin's Mars on Earth which was a study of a Mars research station analog in the high Arctic, testing the feasibility of various proposed technologies and strategies for a manned Mars mission. Very interesting, and now I'm obsessed with Mars again (though I'm not sure that ever went away) and I'm sad because I'm out of new reading material on the subject! Any suggestions?

Test Subject
#815 Old 26th Apr 2015 at 6:30 PM
I am about to start "To Kill a Mockingbird". It's been on my to-read list for a long time, but I recently saw a breathtaking theatre adaptation, which made me REALLY want to read it.
Scholar
#816 Old 27th Apr 2015 at 1:19 PM
Just finished Drive by James Sallis 4/5 (the movie was brilliant so I had to read the book, which turned out to be very good, but not as thrilling as the movie)
Mad Poster
#817 Old 29th Apr 2015 at 7:47 AM
Well, I fixed my "needing new reading material on Mars" problem (though I'm sure I'll un-fix it here pretty quick, at the rate I'm blasting through these books! ), since my birthday last weekend netted me several new Mars books and money to buy even more of them (or a raincoat... we'll see what I settle on).
First up was Andy Weir's "The Martian," which is probably the most fun reading I've found in a year or so, especially since (for once) I didn't know the outline of the entire plot before I started reading it! I love hard SciFi like that... definitely the best Martian fiction I've read since Kim Stanley Robinson's "Mars Trilogy"
Now it's on to a 1984 paperback on terraforming... old science is always interesting, especially when you're a big enough nerd to know the current science too, so you can see which theories have held up, and which have been laughed out of existence. We'll see!

Test Subject
#818 Old 7th May 2015 at 1:59 AM
Currently, I am reading The Titans Curse by Rick Rordan
Scholar
#819 Old 8th May 2015 at 3:20 PM
J. K. Rowling's 'The Casual Vacancy'.

It's made me loathe the word "authentic". Read it to find out why. Read it just 'cause, really. It's a pretty good book. A lot of the characters are, well, shitty garbage people, but I think most readers will be able to relate to some or the themes of the story. It's not a happy story, nor does it have the typical start-build up-climax-conclusion pace to it.

Oh, and in case you didn't already know. It's nothing like Harry Potter. Don't open it thinking it is. And parents, don't give it to your kids thinking it's for children, either.

I'm writing a TV series, yeah. It's a cross between True Detective and Pretty Little Liars.
Mad Poster
#820 Old 9th May 2015 at 3:41 AM
@pirate_wolf_12 , I've kind of been curious though- is the writing style the same? It's always impressive if an author manages to change their style so much that unless you know it's their name on the cover, you wouldn't recognize them...

Scholar
#821 Old 9th May 2015 at 4:26 AM
@Zarathustra

It's been a while since I've read Harry Potters, so I can't say anything for certain. I do believe it is, the way she describes people and places, the structure of her sentences. So yeah I'd say it's quite similar similar.

I'm writing a TV series, yeah. It's a cross between True Detective and Pretty Little Liars.
Scholar
#822 Old 14th May 2015 at 9:06 PM
I just got finished reading Black Iris by Leah Raeder and holy cow was it amazing! Super intense and dark but really good too. A real page-turner.

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
bleed-in-ink.tumblr.com
Test Subject
#823 Old 14th May 2015 at 9:24 PM
Vanity Fair by William Thackeray. I like it but haven't finished the reading yet. I've got really tired with descriptions of dances and high society receptions...
Instructor
#824 Old 15th May 2015 at 10:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Verdena
Vanity Fair by William Thackeray. I like it but haven't finished the reading yet. I've got really tired with descriptions of dances and high society receptions...

It's really not worth it. We had to read it in English class.
I suggest you watch the movie, starring Reese Witherspoon... It's much more enjoyable!

Me, me, me against them, me against enemies, me against friends, somehow they all seem to become one, a sea full of sharks and they all smell blood.
Inventor
#825 Old 22nd May 2015 at 4:33 PM
Lolita. Oh boy.
But hey, Stanley Kubrick made a movie out of it, so I'll watch it when I'm done.
Page 33 of 41