Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th May 2009 at 2:47 PM
Default Bit tech hands on review 4 pages
Here it is.These people oviosly don't like sims games as they gave it a bad review.
http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/pc/2...ds-on-preview/1
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 18th May 2009 at 3:03 PM
Sounds like a review from a hardcore gamer so I'm not surprised. Did you see the related story that Will Wright has left ea/maxis?

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming...-leaves-maxis/1

I guess an old story that I missed
#3 Old 18th May 2009 at 3:10 PM
Ugh I'm a hardcore gamer and I play The Sims. Reviews like this just show how many misconceptions there are about who actually plays The Sims. Not all of us are 13 year old girls and grandmas.
Alchemist
#4 Old 18th May 2009 at 3:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kawaiimeg
Ugh I'm a hardcore gamer and I play The Sims. Reviews like this just show how many misconceptions there are about who actually plays The Sims. Not all of us are 13 year old girls and grandmas.

lol, I agree. It used to bug me when I read the Sims was a girl game when I'm a man in my 40's. Now I just shrug it off to ignorance. Heaven forbid a person can like The Sims and Gears of War 2
Instructor
#5 Old 18th May 2009 at 3:26 PM
A bit of a misguided, but quite positive, review - some nice screenshots though!
Alchemist
#6 Old 18th May 2009 at 3:58 PM
How come every screenshot I see, the rooms are decorated so sparsely? I hope it's just because whoever's playing isn't taking any time to get the house looking good, and not that there is not enough objects to really make a room feel full and complete. Seriously, every pic has a living room with a sofa and a chair, way away from the wall, a lamp, and a tv on the other side of the room. Looks horrid.
Test Subject
#7 Old 18th May 2009 at 4:33 PM
Most reviewers are more interested in the gameplay and not interior design, I'd assume. =D
Alchemist
#8 Old 18th May 2009 at 4:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Crazetex
Most reviewers are more interested in the gameplay and not interior design, I'd assume. =D

That would be my guess as well. I'm not worried
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 18th May 2009 at 4:50 PM
To be honest, at the Hands-On Event, I didn't really do much interior design either. The most I did was place a wall across the living room for my two teen Sims' bedroom, stuck in two beds, added a mirror and a fish bowl, and changed the floor and half the walls. I didn't even realise that I hadn't fully done the walls until I realised I kept getting a Negative moodlet from the twins whenever they entered their bedroom. :D

I was too interested in playing the game, rather than building/decorating.

I would like to clear up the little matter of my sanity as it has come into question. I am not in any way, shape, or form, sane. Insane? Hell yes!

People keep calling me 'evil.' I must be doing something right.

SilentPsycho - The Official MTS2 Psycho
Instructor
#10 Old 18th May 2009 at 4:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by coltraz
How come every screenshot I see, the rooms are decorated so sparsely? I hope it's just because whoever's playing isn't taking any time to get the house looking good, and not that there is not enough objects to really make a room feel full and complete. Seriously, every pic has a living room with a sofa and a chair, way away from the wall, a lamp, and a tv on the other side of the room. Looks horrid.
I've noticed this too. Especially with kitchens and bathrooms looking identical across the board - same worktops, showers, sinks, toilets, bathtubs - but I'm assuming players who've had limited time playing the game at events and the reviewers alike aren't spending their time building and decorating homes so place essential items without much thought and attention to the details rather spending their time playing with newer features.
Alchemist
#11 Old 18th May 2009 at 5:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by andru
I've noticed this too. Especially with kitchens and bathrooms looking identical across the board - same worktops, showers, sinks, toilets, bathtubs - but I'm assuming players who've had limited time playing the game at events and the reviewers alike aren't spending their time building and decorating homes so place essential items without much thought and attention to the details rather spending their time playing with newer features.

Let's hope... I guess we'll find out for ourselves soon enough. I can't wait til CC starts appearing.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 18th May 2009 at 5:27 PM
I think the review was fair even though the hardcore gamer/casual gamer statement is getting old.
Who says you can't enjoy The Sims and good shooter game from time to time?
Test Subject
#13 Old 18th May 2009 at 5:33 PM
Another thing to remember is that this is a base game. TS2 came with, like, six beds, three ovens, two fridges, one trash compactor, two (three?) televisions... it's not The Sims + Expansion/Stuff packs.

Go start an Anygame with only the original game if you want to know what'll be in TS3.
Alchemist
#14 Old 18th May 2009 at 5:45 PM
Still it would be nice not to be given something with minimal furnishings only with the "exciting" prospect of spending more $ on EPs for items that they are milking us with.
#15 Old 18th May 2009 at 6:03 PM
I'm with Kenny. I'm a 40-something female who plays games like LOTR II, GuildWars, Diablo II...AND SimCity (all){including the misbegotten Societies}, the Sims (1 - 3){or WILL be playing 3 when it's released}, and other city simulation type games. I can play both types of games and be perfectly happy. I'm also a wicked Ranger, so don't make me point my bow at you!
#16 Old 18th May 2009 at 7:18 PM
They do have a point though, if it still takes an hour to get up and shower and 5 minutes to travel through town.
#17 Old 18th May 2009 at 7:27 PM
I'm also a hardcore gamer, and I also play the sims... a lot <g>. I'm also a 28 year old male amateur weightlifter. Not your typical simmer, perhaps, but nonetheless, 40% of simmers are male

People who critisize the sims franchise are usually people who loathe all things creative and prefer to play games where you beat down prostitutes, destroy everything, and wade in blood, or immature jerks with macho overcompensation syndrome, as I prefer to call them
#18 Old 18th May 2009 at 7:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by guardianpegasus:
I'm also a hardcore gamer, and I also play the sims... a lot <g>. I'm also a 28 year old male amateur weightlifter. Not your typical simmer, perhaps, but nonetheless, 40% of simmers are male

People who critisize the sims franchise are usually people who loathe all things creative and prefer to play games where you beat down prostitutes, destroy everything, and wade in blood, or immature jerks with macho overcompensation syndrome, as I prefer to call them

I was introduced to the game by a mid-20's male. Stereotyping is grossly unfair and really just plain narrow-minded. I AM the hard-core gamer in my family. More so than my sons or daughters. Although, I wouldn't have called myself such. I don't think the type of game played matters. What matters is the enjoyment derived from it, regardless of the gender of the player. Just my two dimes worth.
Test Subject
#19 Old 18th May 2009 at 9:51 PM
I've been playing Sims since Sims 1 while also playing other games such as Counter-Strike Source and BF2. Although I do admit my Sims time has waned over the last couple of months, it's always fun to run the Sims.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 20th May 2009 at 1:53 PM
I'm a hardcore gamer, Unreal Tournament 3? I play on godlike if I play with Bots, I play on Expert Guitar/drums on Rock Band and Guitar Hero, I finished Fallout 3 AND it's DLCs, I have Far Cry 2, Crysis Warhead, etc, I've been playing games since I was in diapers and I love playing The Sims, it's not too taxing on a good PCs hardware so I can play it while talking on MSN.
Field Researcher
#21 Old 20th May 2009 at 2:19 PM
See, I, being a girl, always did think that the sims was a girl game. But I'm so pleased to hear that it's not, and that so many men like to play it. Makes me feel better when I say I'm a sims fan. Yay guys!!

P.S I think we all like a bit of spray and pray every now and again.
Instructor
#22 Old 20th May 2009 at 2:41 PM
There is also the misconception that the Sims is a game that people dabble in for a couple of hours a few times and then never mess with again. Obviously people that assume that have never seen the extensive stories, movies, neighborhoods and families that simmers make that show what massive amounts of time and creativity people spend on the game.