Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
dodgy builder
#51 Old 14th Jul 2018 at 4:13 PM
TSR had a query or what it's called, asking people what they would like to have as an extension. I don't remember when, but it wasn't that long ago, consideting I've been here a while as well
Advertisement
Instructor
#52 Old 16th Jul 2018 at 9:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
This is complete nonsense and you're lucky most of the creators are not rich or they'd sue the ass off you for saying this, and win on evidence. Like all sites *some* (not most) of their CC may not work well. But seeing as they don't offer mods anyway it's a bit ridiculous and patently false to say they're broken. Folks, do try to keep comments fact-based ok?

Inge Jones I'm happy for you I'mma let you finish but...you're kinda spreading a false narrative yourself aren't you? The distinction between mods and cc can get pretty darn thin when it comes to what the broken stuff does. Espeacially in the Sims or does no one remember that sneaky doll on the exchange that stuck to literally everything and was so poorly made it doubled as a computer virus?
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#53 Old 16th Jul 2018 at 9:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by DesereiPandemoni
Inge Jones I'm happy for you I'mma let you finish but...you're kinda spreading a false narrative yourself aren't you? The distinction between mods and cc can get pretty darn thin when it comes to what the broken stuff does. Espeacially in the Sims or does no one remember that sneaky doll on the exchange that stuck to literally everything and was so poorly made it doubled as a computer virus?

Yes, later in the thread I admitted I had fallen behind the times and TSR *does* now have mods - they didn't when I was active in the modding scene. The doll thing turned out to be a bug in the EA packaging code, and thus it was the combined fault of EA and the modding tools that did packing, NOT any fault of the TSR creator, whose misfortune was merely to create one of the first modded objects that revealed the flaw. EA fixed the bug very shortly after, but obviously were unable to retrospectively correct erring content that had already made its way around the community and into people's games.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
dodgy builder
#54 Old 16th Jul 2018 at 12:00 PM
Yes, later in the thread I admitted I had fallen behind the times and TSR *does* now have mods - they didn't when I was active in the modding scene. The doll thing turned out to be a bug in the EA packaging code, and thus it was the combined fault of EA and the modding tools that did packing, NOT any fault of the TSR creator, whose misfortune was merely to create one of the first modded objects that revealed the flaw. EA fixed the bug very shortly after, but obviously were unable to retrospectively correct erring content that had already made its way around the community and into people's games.

How unfurtunate. Now everyone remembers that fricking doll forever, and better hope they forget the creator of the doll.
Instructor
#55 Old 16th Jul 2018 at 2:34 PM
Are these mods new ones or ones previously downloadable free? Who's making new mods for Sims 2? I used to get some very good downloads for Sims 2 from TSR, without subscription, but haven't used it since then.
#56 Old 16th Jul 2018 at 3:36 PM
Hehehe no one will ever forget the doll. And remember the stowaway tattoos?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Test Subject
#57 Old 6th Jan 2019 at 6:36 AM
TSR Ad Skipper and Tampermonkey with a TSR Script. They are godsends!

http://divinexmove.tumblr.com/post/...nsion-on-google

"The call isn't out there at all! It's inside me!" - Moana
Top Secret Researcher
#58 Old 8th Jan 2019 at 1:05 AM
Quote:
it's about you compensating for something by acting all keyboard warrior.

*Tries to imagine Inge as a keyboard warrior*

<3
Lab Assistant
#59 Old 9th Jan 2019 at 12:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SimmingSince7
I am fed up with The Sims Resource. Normally I don't mind waiting an extra minute to download CC if it means avoiding their obnoxious spammy ads. But now it's been increased to 200 seconds and even after the countdown finishes, I am not allowed to download the CC. Instead I get a pop up that tells me my download was blocked until I whitelist or pay them monthly! Are you nuts? So you basically just lied and wasted my time for 200 seconds only to deny my download? I waited the proper time, I should have a right to download that custom content. I am going to go back to using an extension to skip them right away again and if that doesn't work, time to move on and never use their site again. There's a lot better content out there and they're nuts if they think they're worth paying for.
https://prnt.sc/k4ike6

IDK if anyone has already said this, but when I get that message it's because I've exceeded my free downloads for the day, so when that happens I just open the links in a new incognito window in a different browser. Works everytime and yes I agree, most of the stuff on TSR is way too textured and looks like the cringey sort of stuff people use on Second Life. I only use it for Mutske build objects anyway.
Inventor
#60 Old 9th Jan 2019 at 12:41 AM
This is complete nonsense and you're lucky most of the creators are not rich or they'd sue the ass off you for saying this, and win on evidence. Like all sites *some* (not most) of their CC may not work well. But seeing as they don't offer mods anyway it's a bit ridiculous and patently false to say they're broken. Folks, do try to keep comments fact-based ok?

Okay, girl, CHILL. What they said was partially incorrect (some people don't know the difference between mods and custom content), but there's no reason to lose your temper like that. Explain to them why you disagree with their comment and move on. Don't attack them in such a vicious manner. It's not productive.
Top Secret Researcher
#61 Old 9th Jan 2019 at 2:04 AM
Psh. I spent a good hour yesterday downloading like 36548 sims 4 SClub accessories from TSR so there's clearly no quota. The couple of times I got 'caught' was because I reloaded an item page, there it noticed my ad blockers and sent the wait for 200 seconds screen. Doing either back page, then reload OR like previously said pasting the link in another tab is enough to trick it again.
#62 Old 9th Jan 2019 at 10:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Naus Allien
Okay, girl, CHILL. What they said was partially incorrect (some people don't know the difference between mods and custom content), but there's no reason to lose your temper like that. Explain to them why you disagree with their comment and move on. Don't attack them in such a vicious manner. It's not productive.

Pity you didn't read to the end of the thread as well as taking note of the posting dates. Talking of productivity, when was it productive to rake up an argument that was put to bed 6 months ago?

Scholar
#63 Old 9th Jan 2019 at 12:19 PM
I don't know if any of you have seen this: Enthusiast Gaming to acquire The Sims Resource for 20 Million Dollars. That's a lot of money!
#64 Old 9th Jan 2019 at 12:46 PM
I know! I saw that. Apparently for the time being it's going to continue to be run by the current management and staff, and the purchase is in stages.

#65 Old 9th Jan 2019 at 1:57 PM
The "girl gamers" stuff was rather cringey!

Test Subject
#66 Old 9th Jan 2019 at 2:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Gargoyle Cat
https://www.enthusiastgaming.com/en...ce-transaction/

TSR can sell to whoever they want to, but I'm already skeptical. The sims franchise doesn't need more Wall Street dictating what simmers want; we have enough problems with that already. Then these people are coming through the proverbial front door implying that The Sims is a girl game.

These people have no clue who their audience is, nor do they play sims. If they did, they would know that The Sims isn't just a girl game. Ugh! It's all about money.

Of course sims is not just a girl game-- but the factsheet does say that it is the 7th most viewed website amongst women in the USA (in 2017)... It may not be JUST for women but there are MASSIVE amount of women who play, ignoring that fact would be kind of silly. Taking advantage of that fact is only good business sense-- if you know your audience, why shouldn't you target it?

And to be honest, I don't think this new company could make TSR any worse than it already is. What are they gonna do? Put in more ads to get blocked? If they make it PAY only, as the title suggests... Well then they won't be the #7 ranked website anymore.

On that note, this thread title is one really just one big clickbait...
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#67 Old 9th Jan 2019 at 10:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by aparkison
I don't know if any of you have seen this: Enthusiast Gaming to acquire The Sims Resource for 20 Million Dollars. That's a lot of money!

Enthusiast Gaming isn't run by some bloke called Walt, is it?
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#68 Old 9th Jan 2019 at 11:51 PM
Yeah, was thinking about Walt the whole time I was reading that.
They need to ask him how well things worked out for him.
Top Secret Researcher
#69 Old 9th Jan 2019 at 11:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
and better hope they forget the creator of the doll.
Wasn't it Rebeccah?

I didn't know about the tattoos. What's the story?
Instructor
#70 Old 10th Jan 2019 at 12:29 AM
I've been a rabid simmer since before TS2 was even announced (hell, SimEarth FTW!), making CC since The Sims, and I don't think I'd need more than one hand to count the times I've downloaded from TSR. Aside from the occasional windkeeper anomaly I've just never been that impressed with their offerings -- or if I was, not impresssed enough to wade through all the associated ads and waits and terrible layout/design to make it worth my bother.

Of course, what most turned me off was their shady approach. Like, be a paysite or don't. I have no problem at all with sites that throw in a few extra recolours or whatnot for people who have donated. I've always disliked, however, when sites say, "Donate $2 for this set!" Erm, that's not donating. That's a straight up fee. Don't pretend. But TSR has always been miles and miles beyond.

I think what gets me the most about TSR is the way they've always behaved as if they're the only game in town. Like there's just nowhere else to get decent Sims CC, so they can set any terms they please and people will be so grateful they'll fork over monthly dues or wait out the punishment clocks because they have absolutely no alternatives. And now these condescending marketers think they're gonna zoom in, talk down to their customers, and recoup a $20M investment? I wanna scoff so hard, but these guys seem like they were made for each other.
One Minute Ninja'd
#71 Old 10th Jan 2019 at 11:16 AM
Well, given that right now the ads I get spammed with are repeats of either offering me office space in the city I live or class action lawsuit potential settlements, I can't see them making the ad side of things much worse than they already are. As to a subscription base only, well, I hope the folks with the $20 Million talked to EA about this already. EA and TSR work together more so in TS4 than ever, but knowing who the new owners are might well upset EA, who can cut them off in a minute. You're still not allowed to charge for content for the game.

EA isn't going to chase down every Patreon user out there, and they give TSR a sorta break for fees for added conveniences like the faster download, basket, scroll, and no annoying ads. If this new group tries to do much more than just ramp up ad revenue, say by making items subscription only, they may find themselves at the mercy of EA's legal department as EA wants that money, and won't just sit on their hands. Besides, if the goal is getting ads in front of users, especially a "valuable" demographic, additional fees over what is already charged for the "conveniences" but still allowing anyone to download anything without cost will drive views and visits down. And of course if they make the wait screens much longer, again they'll just decrease page views.

I'm sure TSR is valuable. I don't know if it's $20 Million valuable as I'm not aware of any revenue numbers to figure that out. The other future risk is the Sims losing popularity, and what will happen with a Sims 5, if there is one. If for whatever reason beyond the influence of the new buyers Sims sales decline, it will be tough to grow the business, and a dwindling number of legacy players of earlier Sims versions won't help that view count they're gambling on.
Field Researcher
#72 Old 10th Jan 2019 at 12:06 PM
I can usually deal with ads, but when I see a greedy "let us infect your pc and not a give shit" blockage of 150+ ads, that is NOT okay. I'm disgusted with that site honestly.
Forum Resident
#73 Old 10th Jan 2019 at 12:45 PM
On the surface it really does sound like the whole Walt situation all over again. Of course the danger is that these people know what they're doing, and start aggressively causing problems for the rest of the community. Hmm.
One Minute Ninja'd
#74 Old 10th Jan 2019 at 1:03 PM
eskie-I don't think any of that matters. They've made it crystal clear what their intentions are. Female sims players are going to throw all of their money at them. Their investors seem to think that the risk is worth it, so speaking in the hypothetical, if sims were no longer a thing a few years from now, they have nobody else to blame but themselves. I'll add myself to the list of having zero pity for them if / when that happens.

Still a pretty good chunk of money to throw down with no exclusivity on the IP rights and the dependance on the largesse of someone like EA to remain in business. But maybe they already sewed that part up and haven't shared the info yet.

Even if this is just a straight online advertising driven purchase it's not without significant risk unless they truly believe they'll recoup that money pretty fast. But I agree, if they go belly up I won't be shedding any tears over it.
Mad Poster
#75 Old 10th Jan 2019 at 1:27 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 10th Jan 2019 at 2:11 PM.
I don't download from there often, but I've got an Adblocker and some addons, and a couple other tricks, so when I do I'm good. I don't really mind their current setup, because as long as they don't change anything for the worse it's easier to get "premium" content from them now than back in the early days when a lot of the good stuff was behind a pay-per-item donation/pay wall.

They've been trying to exploit players ever since they started up, so they get no sympathy, pity, empathy or money from me...

What is the Walt situation? Can somebody clue me in?

The Walt situation, short format, possibly lacking some details:
A guy named Walt bought the Insimenator.net and Insimadult.net sites off Katy and Eric (original site owners) because of some issues with keeping the site up, to possibly exploit players there and potentially set up paywalls and paid subscriptions, and tried to tempt the modders/admins into essentially becoming paid employees.

Players refused to comply with the change, so around Walt's Thanksgiving vacation that year, Pescado rescued the site by transferring as much of the site as possible to another domain and eventually setting up Insimenator.org, throwing off Walt completely before he could do anything with it. The site is again under player control, and runs off donation drives (voluntary ones, that is). I'm not sure if anyone knows what happened to Walt, but I can imagine he got pretty pissed off when he realized his investment had pretty much exploded into smithereens right in front of his face...

Bottom-line is, you don't mess around with dedicated simmers (TS2 players in particular), cause we ain't having any of it...

Bit of reading material if you want to know some of the details:
http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...c,108379.0.html
Page 3 of 4