Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Jan 2008 at 9:02 PM
Default Linking skintones to hairtones
I have been trying to attempting to create skintones that are linked with hair color, specifically to create skintones with hair for babies that function fully with genetics. However, I haven't had much luck. Here's the relevant information:

First, I created a new skintone with blond curly hair and a shirt for the infants. The male and female files were separate, for an unrelated reason, but this caused no problems. I changed the genetics to .1 and the hairtone to 00000003-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 for blond. Then I went into a lot to test this. Two blond parents gave birth to a baby girl with blond eyebrows, blond curly hair, and a purple T-shirt.

Next I exported some more skintones from Bodyshop. I did everything the same as above except I added black hair instead of blond, and changed the hairtone accordingly. I went into the lot with the two blond parents and used the Tombstone and spawned a baby. The game crash. It seems that the baby, who naturally would have a blond hairtone, was assigned the skintone linked with the black hairtone, and that crashed the game.

Next I added a hairtone line to Skin Tone XML and set it to the proper color, hoping this would prevent the game from assigning the skintone to a baby with an incompatible skintone. It still crashed, so I removed this line.

My current theory is that this could work if the different colors were all part of one skintone. After all, Sims switch between skintones when their fitness changes and when they age, so why not be able to switch between them for hairtone?

I took my functioning blond skintone files and imported the property set, texture image, material definition, and 3D ID referencing file from another (new) skintone. In these new items, I changed the texture image to have red hair, changed the hairtone line in the property set to the number for red, and changed the skintone line in the property set to match the blond skintone's number. I did not change the group numbers.

I created a red parent and a blond parent, and used boolprop to spawn a baby. I was hoping if the infant got this skintone, it would get the skin with the matching hairtone, since both were available in the file. Instead, it crashed.

Any ideas?