Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Sep 2014 at 8:17 PM Last edited by DrChillgood : 7th Sep 2014 at 2:35 AM.
Default Suggestions for my renaming things mod
Was "Is Douche For Bro Too Explicit".

I'm not the only one who thinks the TS4 Bro is more like Douche. I've just gotten my STBL working, containing just the entries to replace Bro with Douche, and am ready to upload it.

Is the word "Douche" too explicit for this site? If so, what would be a better alternative?

I am also changing the text for the cringeworthy "Angry Poop" to "Pissed-Off Piss". If the word "Piss" is too explicit, I can call it "Peeved Pee".

1/8/2016: New avatar! Pre-censored for EA's approval.
3/19/2015: Teens are too close to YAs. EA needs to either shorten the teens, or add preteens and make YAs look older.
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#2 Old 6th Sep 2014 at 9:32 PM Last edited by plasticbox : 6th Sep 2014 at 10:02 PM.
Do you mean regarding the "kid-friendly" rules on mts? Or are you just looking for personal opinions? If it's the former, I'd move this to Site Issues, for the latter I'd move it to Creator Feedback or TS4 Discussion .. please let me know which one's appropriate =)

(I'd move it out of Modding Discussion in any case, since this is not a technical question)

My personal opinion (not representative of mts rules, and my first language is NOT english): To me, "Douche" means "sexist/chauvinist idiot" (the male version, very explicitely so). Since it's used for both genders in game, and for all I know the in-game expression of the trait is quite harmless and also gender neutral (or is it? I only know "likes watching sports", and "likes to be around other "bro's""), wouldn't a more generic term make more sense? One that isn't tied to one gender, and is perhaps also less negative?

Not sure about the poop thing .. as I understood it, there's audio for it -- would that still work for peeing?

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Eminence Grise
#3 Old 6th Sep 2014 at 9:45 PM
My feeling about "douche" is that it doesn't necessarily involve sexism. It's basically a synonym for "asshole", although usually (like "asshole", usually) it's reserved for males.

Of course, some women will be offended by it, because of the origins of the term. It's a matter of whether you consider a word's etymological orgins to be relevant to its current use. Opinions differ (in linguistics as well as among the general public).

As for "angry poop", I don't see how "pissed-off pee" is any less cringeworthy? They're both childish euphemisms.
Scholar
Original Poster
#4 Old 6th Sep 2014 at 10:30 PM
I think this would be better as "Creator Feedback".

Really, this was more of a response to the response to the Bro Trait and "Angry Poop". Maybe I shouldn't be so hard on it. After all, it's Bro, not Mean. (But then, I take one look at the "new and improved" Don Lothario and think it's not so innocuous). Maybe "Sports Fan" is less derogatory. Now this would involve trait tuning...

You're right, "Peeved Pee" would be more consistent with the rest of the game (including the time-honored tradition, "Pee Self"). The technical challenge would be switching the audio.

Both of these will have to wait until everything's a little better documented.

Hopefully a real athlete career will be introduced in an EP, and the former Bro / new Sports Fan will be better able to improve relationships with anybody in the athletic career.

3/19/2015: Teens are too close to YAs. EA needs to either shorten the teens, or add preteens and make YAs look older.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#5 Old 6th Sep 2014 at 11:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DrChillgood
I think this would be better as "Creator Feedback".

OK; moving!

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Scholar
Original Poster
#6 Old 7th Sep 2014 at 2:39 AM
Okay. Maybe I was a little too harsh on the Bro.

Other proposed changes, this time for the careers:

"Oracle" to "Hacker" - much more accurate description of this career.
"Tech Guru" to "Gamer" - as early goals involve playing video games.
- "eSports Gamer" to "Competitive Gamer" - as it is, it's a slap in the face to the old Athletic career.
- "Start-up Entrepreneur" to "Game Designer" - as the company makes games and apps.

Instructor
#7 Old 7th Sep 2014 at 8:33 PM
Those changes to the careers sound far more accurate to me. Good choices!

...Hopefully, custom careers are only around the corner, though. I would really appreciate having normal work options for my Sims. :/ But the names you proposed match the careers far more than their current titles do.
Scholar
Original Poster
#8 Old 7th Sep 2014 at 10:16 PM
Okay, I think I can do my Tech Guru re-naming.

Also included will be Peeved Pee, just to match the rest of the bladder-need-related strings.

The Bro -> Douche will not be released unless there is popular demand, it was my first attempt to make sure it worked. It was just annoying to make a blank string table (with a higher instance number so it gets loaded after the official string table), rather than having to delete thousands of entries to make sure I didn't stomp on anything EAxian.