Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#26 Old 3rd Apr 2011 at 12:05 AM
I also play GuildWars, no needs at all with that one. But, my point is, they could have customized it more. Or chosen less tedious needs to fulfill. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy playing the game. I'm not ecstatic twiddling my thumbs while the Hero eats and sleeps, but that's what they chose to do. I'm just saying they could have ported a little less from The Sims, which they have worked very hard to make the point that this game ISN'T, and created a little more unique-ness. I haven't been disappointed at all with what we've been presented with. Although I do find it odd that the Monarch WALKS everywhere. ALONE! Perhaps it's just Hollyweird, but I find that a little difficult to believe. And whomever heard of a Knight without a horse? At least two usually. A heavy breed for jousting and a light breed known as a Charger. No Thoroughbreds please! They hadn't yet been "invented". I find the Merchant constantly having to go between the Village Shoppe and the Docks time consuming. While I'm no expert on 13th Century Monarchys (ies?), I would imagine that a Merchant might be able to afford a coach ride. As well as the heads of the Churches. Just my thoughts. Things I might have done differently.

I am an Angel who has tamed the Dragon. For I am NOT crunchy, NOR good with ketchup!
Advertisement
Eminence Grise
#27 Old 3rd Apr 2011 at 12:12 AM
What's ironic is that if you look in the discussion forums for any RPG, there are people complaining that you should have to sleep and eat, and it should take a long time to walk places Every game winds up finding its own balance on "realism" of this sort, but players' preferences vary widely. You just have to pick the game that matches your preferences... or mod the ones that don't

Horses: considering that they're apparently being added to TS3 in October in an EP, I'd be surprised if they didn't make it into a TSM EP, since the hard work of models and animations will have been done.

Still, just put on ultra-fast mode for travel and sleep, and you really WON'T be waiting around that long. As for eating... field rations are your friend And a larder at home so you don't have to cook every time.
Instructor
#28 Old 3rd Apr 2011 at 4:36 AM
I guess in GuildWars eating and sleeping are implied when you're in a town or outpost. As far as Medieval, most of my Heroes have larders at home, but I was unaware that already prepared meals could be put into them. Nor, because of the statements regarding food spoilage, was I aware that a Hero could carry prepared meals with them. And I usually do speed through the cooking/eating process and the walking from place to place.

As for the rumoured TS3 Unleashed horses, I'll believe it when I see them. I believe that there has still been some debate as to whether it will be a PC inclusive expansion. Although, even if it isn't, I'm sure that wouldn't prevent the inclusion of horses in TSM. And as someone else has stated, it doesn't even really have to be horses, it could be coaches and carriages, which may be essentially re-skinned cars.

My husband even thought the Social Standing concept was neat. But I would think it wouldn't be something that could be accomplished quickly. Not like a Social need. But as I said before, those were just ideas that I thought could have customized the concept a little more.

I am an Angel who has tamed the Dragon. For I am NOT crunchy, NOR good with ketchup!
Forum Resident
#29 Old 3rd Apr 2011 at 8:25 AM
Horses require a lot of effort to put in a game, if they had put them in from the start its likely it would have been at the expense of other things.

The AI might need to be tweaked a bit first, considering how they are already having swordfights everywhere and have no respect for any kind of privacy. Give those idiots horses and you might have ten people and their horses dancing around a bard with a lute. Good luck trying to get past that.
Field Researcher
#30 Old 3rd Apr 2011 at 8:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AddieP
I mean the thing that makes the Sims uniquely itself is the cycle of birth, aging and death. And I think they should essentially have retained those things at the core of SM.

I have to say...
The Sims wasn't meant as a "cycle of birth, aging and death". Aging wasn't in the original Sims. You could adopt a baby, but it was simple a cradle and only aged up to a child. Just like TSM. So if anything aging wise this game is more the like the original concept than any of the others.
The sims was meant merely to be like an adult doll house. Will Wright never meant or expected the game to be what it is now.
Long story short. This is still as much The Sims as any of the other games.

Stand up for what you believe in, even if you stand alone.
My exchange page (50+ creations)
Page 2 of 2