Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Sep 2018 at 8:42 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Sims 2 document folders on another drive?
I have recently got back into simming and I need to get my cc folder working on another drive so I can mod the game without running out of space on my main drive. I have the game itself on another drive and works just fine so if anyone can help me I would be most grateful.

Thanks in advance

"I know, and it breaks my heart to do it, but we must remain vigilant. If you cannot tell me another way, do not brand me a tyrant!" - knight commander Meredith (dragon age 2)

My sims stories: Witch queen
Nocturnal Dawn
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 7th Sep 2018 at 9:51 PM
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Sep 2018 at 10:16 PM
Thank you

"I know, and it breaks my heart to do it, but we must remain vigilant. If you cannot tell me another way, do not brand me a tyrant!" - knight commander Meredith (dragon age 2)

My sims stories: Witch queen
Nocturnal Dawn
Instructor
#4 Old 8th Sep 2018 at 8:12 PM
@Artimis - I have two harddrives, both partitioned into 3 subdrives, so six in all. I have my game installed on the G drive, my Save games folders all on my D drive and backups on E. I use Win 7 and have never had any problem with this arrangement.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 8th Sep 2018 at 11:15 PM
My game is installed on C and my Sims game folders are on D. I am also on 7 with no issues.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
#6 Old 15th Sep 2018 at 4:15 PM
Is it possible to move the Documents folder from drive C to drive D after I've already started playing? I've been limiting my downloads and played 'hoods to save space on my C drive, and I want to be able to pick up where I left off.
Scholar
#7 Old 15th Sep 2018 at 6:37 PM
If I was running out of space, I'd use this software:

Link Shell Extension.

I can create a "symbolic link" between the directory where the folder was originally installed to the folder that I want the program to find the information. The program wouldn't know that something has changed.

Maybe you can give it a try for your already installed game.

Check out my latest version of Superman's Classic Uniform for The Sims 2.
See what images I have posted on DeviantArt as well related to The Sims 2 and designs.
Also check out My Website to see my superhero uniform creations for The Sims 2. THANKS!!!
Test Subject
#8 Old 16th Sep 2018 at 7:00 PM Last edited by Phoenix Firesong : 16th Sep 2018 at 7:10 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by d_dgjdhh
If I was running out of space, I'd use this software:

Link Shell Extension.

I can create a "symbolic link" between the directory where the folder was originally installed to the folder that I want the program to find the information. The program wouldn't know that something has changed.

Maybe you can give it a try for your already installed game.

So essentially, I'll have to move my "EA Games" folder from Documents in drive C to the D drive, then use this program to link it back to drive C?
(Sorry, I'm not so good with technical stuff, and the instructions provided on the site are flying over my head a bit.)

Thanks very much!
Scholar
#9 Old 17th Sep 2018 at 1:02 AM Last edited by d_dgjdhh : 17th Sep 2018 at 2:23 AM.
@Phoenix Firesong

The following instructions are for moving your "The Sims 2" folder from your "My Documents/EA Games/" directory to your D drive.

1) Create a new folder with the name of your choice on the D drive (call it "TEST").
2) Go to the folder "The Sims 2" in the "EA Games" directory.
3) Drag "The Sims 2" folder into the "TEST" folder.
4) Wait for the transfer to be completed.

NOTE: I'm assuming this D drive is an external drive that will make a copy of the folder, rather than just transferring the folder.

5a) If the folder still exists, move the original "The Sims 2" folder to your desktop.
5b) If the folder does not exist anymore, make a copy of "The Sims 2" folder from the "TEST" folder to your desktop.

NOTE: You're doing this to ensure you have a backup, in case the instructions don't work. You can be confident in resetting your set up.

6) Right-click the "The Sims 2" folder in the D drive.
7) Choose "Pick Link Source".
8) Go back to the "EA Games" directory.
9) Right-click any blank space in the directory's window.
10) Choose "Drop As..." --> "Symbolic Link".

And there you have it. Start up your game, and watch as the directory in the D drive changes. If it works just fine, then either zip up the folder from your desktop, and place it in your D drive for archival purposes. Then delete the folder from your desktop.

Do note that if you rename the folder or move its location in the D drive, you will need to create a new "Symbolic Link" to wherever you moved the folder or renamed the folder to.

See what images I have posted on DeviantArt as well related to The Sims 2 and designs.
Also check out My Website to see my superhero uniform creations for The Sims 2. THANKS!!!
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 22nd Sep 2018 at 6:35 AM
Does this work for the UC too?

Where did your MTS uploads go? https://s2idownloads.blogspot.com/2...content-no.html
Contact me here: www.facebook.com/sims2idea
Overview all my creations: Download at once (SimFileShare)
Scholar
#11 Old 22nd Sep 2018 at 6:38 AM
@lientebollemeis

Maybe? I don't know what folders The Sims 2 UC creates in the My Documents folder.

Try it out and see what happens? Then report back if the news is positive.

Test Subject
#12 Old 30th Sep 2018 at 3:28 PM
@d_dgjdhh Thanks for the instructions! I'll try it--not soon, though, as I have a lot on my plate, sadly. (

I am also using the UC, so hopefully this will work for it as well. For reference, it creates a folder named EA Games in the Documents folder, which contains The Sims (TM) 2 Ultimate Collection.
Scholar
#13 Old 30th Sep 2018 at 5:12 PM Last edited by d_dgjdhh : 30th Sep 2018 at 8:56 PM.
@Phoenix Firesong

Ok, so then replace "The Sims 2" with "The Sims (TM) 2 Ultimate Collection" as the filename of the folder in my instructions.

Test Subject
#14 Old 30th Oct 2018 at 2:20 AM
@d_dgjdhh I was able to get it to work! Thanks so much again for the help!