Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Oct 2017 at 1:56 PM
Default Quick Question About Routing
I'm attempting to build a fishing village, which means I have a lot of very steep areas. It would be much easier if I could paint the whole lot as non-routable, and just have the roads/paths and lots free, rather than try and paint around all the cliffs.

Is there any reason not to do this? I know routing can be a bit temperamental, and it'll be a pain to have to do all the testing and redoing if it doesn't work, so I thought I'd ask you wise people beforehand

Oh; one other question; I want to do some fields and hedges. I'd like my Sims to be able to ride trough the fields, but not barge through the hedges, so which would be the best way to route that? Make the whole field unroutable and put a path through, or just put non-routable areas along the hedges?
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 28th Oct 2017 at 3:14 PM
No reason not to mark steep areas as unroutable- in fact, any extremely steep parts will be automatically unroutable. However, bear in mind that creating lots of narrow patways can cause bottlenecks and cause sims to take excessively long routes to get somwhere, and also that spawners should be on routable land.

The same for the fields- I would probably keep as much area routable as posible, so painting non-routing under hedges would probably be the best idea. All plants have a non-routable footprint anyway, but this may be smaller than the bushy part of the plant.

Mainly it would be a case of testing to see what works best, what looks best and also what causes the least stuck sims and animals!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Oct 2017 at 4:06 PM
Thanks very much, I'll bear all that in mind when I get that far; I'm still meddling with the terrain sculpting ATM
Mad Poster
#4 Old 28th Oct 2017 at 4:23 PM
Do you have Islands Paradise and are there islands? If you have IP sims will take the water taxis and you need to leave areas open where they can come and go. I had major issues with stuck sims until I opened up those areas. Even if no islands I assume a fishing village will be on the water, so sims may still take the water taxis possibly? Would love to see some pics of what you are doing in the feedback section. I have wanted to do a New England fishing village and made a few starts but not gotten far.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 28th Oct 2017 at 5:01 PM
I do have Island Paradise; that was a no-brainer for a fishing village!

I should say, I have made a couple of working ones before (but they were very simplistic, and I lost my best one when my hard drive died earlier this year :*( ), and I've been playing with CAW for about a year, so I've already come across some big issues with routing, water and taxis!

It is a really hard project; everything in Cornwall (that is where I live and what I'm basing it on) is so hilly and wonky. There are days when I wonder why I'm bothering, but i'm determined to see it through now
Mad Poster
#6 Old 29th Oct 2017 at 8:42 AM
Keep at it. I had the routing way too tight in my world. Went from one extreme to the other and then had my sim get stuck as she tried to leave a lot with a water taxi and then was stuck as there was no place where she was going for it land. I watched it bounce back and forth about 3 times. It was pretty funny to see. I also had mixologists and proprietors kicking out errors nonstop. It turned out they were trying to get to places by water instead of the roads. Once I placed some landing places for the water taxis around the world the errors stopped.

Post some pics in the feedback thread. It would be fun to see what you have done so far.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 31st Oct 2017 at 2:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
Keep at it. I had the routing way too tight in my world. Went from one extreme to the other and then had my sim get stuck as she tried to leave a lot with a water taxi and then was stuck as there was no place where she was going for it land. I watched it bounce back and forth about 3 times. It was pretty funny to see. I also had mixologists and proprietors kicking out errors nonstop. It turned out they were trying to get to places by water instead of the roads. Once I placed some landing places for the water taxis around the world the errors stopped.

Post some pics in the feedback thread. It would be fun to see what you have done so far.

Thanks for the encouragement! I've actually had a good day with it today, for a change. I've started putting in a few trees and things and it looks a lot better than it did when it was bare!

I don't know if it's good enough to show off though; it looks quite babyish compared to other people's
Mad Poster
#8 Old 31st Oct 2017 at 5:17 PM
In my experience most worlds look pretty darn bad for quite a while and it takes a long time before they come to life. But all of the sudden you look at all you have done and see the progress and that it is coming along. And if you have kept going this long, hopefully you like it!

We always like to see what folks are doing.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 2nd Nov 2017 at 3:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
In my experience most worlds look pretty darn bad for quite a while and it takes a long time before they come to life. But all of the sudden you look at all you have done and see the progress and that it is coming along. And if you have kept going this long, hopefully you like it!

We always like to see what folks are doing.

Wise words

I had a first test play with it today, and I'm actually quite pleased with it (in places anyway; still a lot of work to do!) so I took a few screenshots You can have a look at them here; http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...d=1#post5292958