Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Jul 2014 at 10:44 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Sims 2 Flickering Neighborhood
I am having another problem in Sims 2. Whenever I scroll the neighborhood, some houses, bushes, trees, ect. flicker or flash. I've searched the threads on this website and many others about this issue and tried these things:

Running the game in Windows XP compatibility mode
Changing the GraphicsRules.sgr

NOTHING WILL WORK.

I've read that turning smooth edges up/down may help, but my smooth edges option is greyed out. I've tried every solution that I have come across, and posting here is my last option. I can run Sims 3 fine, and Sims 2 runs with no other issues but this one. I am on a Windows 8.1 Laptop with a Intel Core i3 Processer. Thanks for the help
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 28th Jul 2014 at 11:39 PM
What is your graphics card? If it's integrated graphics, then that may be the problem. For instance, Intel HD Graphics seems to run Sims 3 fine enough, but Sims 2 just doesn't know how to handle integrated graphics and eats up texture memory. This can be harmful to your computer, and pretty hard to fix if you're running the game on a laptop.

Besides that, some people do seem to have problems with flickering with Windows 8 and claim it isn't the graphics card. I am also running the game, all expansion packs, on a laptop that came with Windows 8.1, but I don't have those problems. It seems to be kind of fickle.

For now, maybe you can tell us what graphics card you're using and we can see if anything will help.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 3:36 PM
I think this is the Graphics Card? Sorry if it's not:
Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000

I have a 1366 x 768 Screen Resolution. It's the highest I can set it to on this laptop. Thanks for your help!!
Field Researcher
#4 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 5:12 PM
It only happens in the neighborhood? I had a similar problem but the flickering also happened on lots. It's probably because HD Graphics Card doesn't go well with The Sims 2, I also have a laptop with this graphics card and the way I fixed it in my computer was uninstalling Apartment Life and later Stuff Packs. But I'm not sure if you have the exact same problem as mine, can you post a picture?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 6:43 PM
It happens in all of my neighborhoods. I haven't actually been on a lot with a house yet, but on an empty lot some of the grid lines are missing, leaving a small area of grass with no lines. The windows are missing in some of the houses in the neighborhood too, if that has anything to do with it. I can't post a picture because it is only a series of little flashes, but maybe I can figure out how to post a video...

Thanks for the help!!
Instructor
#6 Old 29th Jul 2014 at 7:04 PM Last edited by SleepyTabby : 30th Jul 2014 at 12:44 AM.
Yeah, I had a laptop with the Intel HD 4000 Graphics, and faced the same issues. Sims 2 just doesn't run well on integrated graphics, I'm afraid, and that's what Intel HD 4000 is.

You said you're using a laptop? That stinks, as the graphics card will probably be built onto the motherboard. That means it's actually dangerous to your laptop for you to play Sims 2 on it. Seeing those flickers means your card is struggling to render the game, and it can fry out, killing the motherboard as well. You can try following the advice in this guide and see if that helps.

moveobjects' advice is sound, and to add to it, I'd suggest not using much if any custom content.

My other suggestion is see if you can't find a new laptop with dedicated graphics. I know, it's not the cheap option, nor is it possible for everyone.

EDIT: Have you tried the new tool gwynne posted to at simsnetwork? It is supposed to make changes to Sims 2's configuration to be more compatible with new graphics and resolutions. Maybe it will help with Intel HD 4000 issues, or it might not. Here's a link, if you haven't seen that post but are interested in trying it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 30th Jul 2014 at 3:13 AM
Sorry, won't let me upload a video. Never tried the Graphics Rules Maker, and I don't know how to do it or what to select once I download it. I don't really want to try it if I'm unsure how to use it.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#8 Old 30th Jul 2014 at 4:29 AM
Follow these instructions: http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=5446
Then you should be able to change your smooth edges setting.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 3rd Aug 2014 at 2:33 PM
Well, thanks for all the help guys, but I think that I will just uninstall the game from this Laptop and keep it on my Origin account in case if I ever get a new computer that can actually run it. It won't be anytime soon though, I just got this one about two months ago. At least I can run Sims 3, and possibly Sims 4.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#10 Old 3rd Aug 2014 at 5:15 PM
Do bear in mind that running TS3 on that laptop is a much worse idea than running TS2 on it. TS3 puts way way more strain on the graphics chip than TS2 does, even if it appears to be running okay, so all the time you're playing TS3, you're damaging the laptop's graphics chip (and therefore its motherboard). If you know you're getting a new computer sometime soon and don't really care about this one, then that's no problem - but if you need this laptop to last, don't play TS3 on it.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 3rd Aug 2014 at 11:16 PM
If you want a last ditch attempt at TS2, you could try upgrading or rolling back to the previous graphics drivers, and turning all of your settings down to low. It might still be too much with all the EPs, though.

It's a good idea to use a temperature gauge for your graphics card if you're running stuff you suspect it struggles with. There are free ones you can download. Also prop the laptop up on some books or DVD cases, making sure to keep the fan unobstructed. If you have a room fan you can point at it, even better! This won't work as well at it would with a separate graphics card so may not be enough, but if it's just on the cusp, it might be ok.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...