Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#1976 Old 17th Jun 2014 at 3:34 PM Last edited by bnymph : 17th Jun 2014 at 4:12 PM.
Default Starting Over- AGAIN
Ok, so I'm starting over. I might keep the caves though. They are cool. Im not going to use baby having cheats, though. I'm really working on getting a new laptop.
EDIt: I may let them have children, depending on how the game goes. I may have them adopt, if it acts the way I think it will. And I'm creating one family at a time, every week.

EDIT: I need some ideas for last names for the neanderthal stage.

What is a beginner to do? My Website My TOT My Forum My website
Advertisement
Instructor
#1977 Old 18th Jun 2014 at 9:40 AM
Sorry to hear that :/ Restarting's always a pain. Personally I wouldn't stop them from having kids but if you're getting overwhelmes you could space them out more or something.

Depends on if you want to change the names later or not. Personally since I don't want to fuss too much with changing names later I just picked modernish but simple sounding names, names that didn't obviously reference something not invented yet. There are many sites that generate random last names, maybe you could go through some of them until you find some that fit? If you plan on changing the names every era then you can just pick something your neanderthal sims use like Cave or Rock or Trout.

Visit my ToT challenge here.
Lab Assistant
#1978 Old 18th Jun 2014 at 5:11 PM Last edited by bnymph : 18th Jun 2014 at 6:45 PM.
Ok, now I can't get my sims to sleep together. When one is sleeping, the other won't walk towards the bed. Imma try to take my hacks out again, and install them as needed. Hopefully that works.

EDIT: I know why I m having so much trouble. My hacks are conflicting with the games global whatever, and by me not being a cc genius, my game is constantly messing up. I'll get it, one day.

Instructor
#1979 Old 19th Jun 2014 at 1:34 AM
Sometimes young sims have issues sleeping with sims wearing undies. Sorry to hear you're having trouble with cc

My population is getting really messed up. The three slave families are two new couples with young children and the other is one of the direct descendents of the original families that averages about three surviving kids a generation. The slaves also have the highest death rate. The plebians have about three sons between them (only one more than the number of households) and a relatively high death rate so no population explosion there. The Patricians and Emperor's family are breeding like rabbits and none of their kids are dying. At this rate I'm going to need to start killing off patricians in the Colosseum to keep my population near realistic.... Does anyone have any suggestions that don't involve CAS sims? I'm getting through the third generation marriages quite nicely without them and don't really want extra sims floating around.

Field Researcher
#1980 Old 19th Jun 2014 at 3:42 AM
Maybe you could 'downgrade' some of your sims. For example the emperor's spare sons (so all except the heir) could become patricians, all spare patrician sons plebians and all spare plebian sons slaves? The girls would then automatically downgrade too, shifting your population more towards the poorer end. Except if you always assign a newly wed couple to the hightest class possible. Then you should maybe start to always chose the husbands class (or maybe even always the lower?). I actually still haven't started playing the roman era, so I have no idea whether that could/would work out? And I'm not sure whether you play a patriarchal hood or not? If not simply turn everything around. =P

Visit My Test of Time Challenge: wordpress & livejournal
Lab Assistant
#1981 Old 19th Jun 2014 at 8:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lbsgirl24
My population is getting really messed up. The three slave families are two new couples with young children and the other is one of the direct descendents of the original families that averages about three surviving kids a generation. The slaves also have the highest death rate. The plebians have about three sons between them (only one more than the number of households) and a relatively high death rate so no population explosion there. The Patricians and Emperor's family are breeding like rabbits and none of their kids are dying. At this rate I'm going to need to start killing off patricians in the Colosseum to keep my population near realistic.... Does anyone have any suggestions that don't involve CAS sims? I'm getting through the third generation marriages quite nicely without them and don't really want extra sims floating around.

I'd start by asking yourself a few questions. What exactly is causing the high mortality rate in the lower classes? Are you cool with that mortality rate (MR) but you just want it evened out a bit over the classes or would you rather reduce the MR?

If you don't mind the MR you have, you just want more lower class sims so it won't wipe things out, Flying Raccoon's suggestions aren't bad. And probably have happened at some point in history. Especially since you don't want to invade another kingdom for slaves (CAS sim solution. )

If you want to reduce your MR, perhaps start some sort of second chance into your game. Perhaps the Emperor has realized that if he keeps killing a slave every week, he'll soon have no slaves, and the society will start to breakdown, so he puts a moratorium (yes I chose that deliberately) on the weekly deaths until the slave population rebounds. Or if it's disease that is decimating the population, perhaps set up a mandatory isolation policy for sick sims. It should cut down on the spread a bit anyway.

But yeah, my first thought is find out what you want to change. If you want to change the number of people dying, look at ways to control it. If you just want to have more people in the lower classes so that the deaths aren't as devastating, do some class shifting.
Instructor
#1982 Old 19th Jun 2014 at 10:24 AM
I love having my high mortality rate It doesn't feel 'real' for me unless the lower class sims (and a fair few upper class sims) are dying. I suppose I'm more looking to kill of patricians and the emperor's family than anything else. I've already thrown in the slave killing because I need those babies and for awhile the only sims I could kill were the couples. I suppose class shifting is the only thing that will really work. Perhaps if anyone kicks a trashcan or steals a paper or attacks a sim they can become a slave or something.

Instructor
#1983 Old 19th Jun 2014 at 12:33 PM
An uprising from (part of) a patrician family against the emperor that either fails (and the uprisers get made into slaves as punishment) or succeeds (and the emperor and his family get made into slaves). That also brings some interesting storylines both during and after the uprising.
Lab Assistant
#1984 Old 19th Jun 2014 at 3:09 PM Last edited by bnymph : 19th Jun 2014 at 8:55 PM. Reason: Included new sig.
Default So good, so far
Ok, so I took all my hacks out except Visitor Controller and Anti-Humble. It's working good now. My first family had a baby boy, and I got to name him. Im going to play until SimSunday, then create a new family.This makes it easier, for me, and my sim tracker. So I'm still posting to my website. I included my sig.

EDIT: Question: Do you guys think that I could delete the mailbox, since they don't use it anyway? And the trashcan, since they use the stove for an incinerator?
EDIT: Nope, you can't delete the mailbox. It'll show the plumbob like the sims stay there, but when you go to the lot, it'll be stuck in buy mode. But I think you can delete the garbage, I've done it before.

EDIT: Join me in my group. The link is in my sig.

Instructor
#1985 Old 20th Jun 2014 at 1:37 AM
I wouldn't delete either. If you wanted to disable the garbage can you can wait until it's kicked over, clean up the rubbish and then put the kicked can in an inaccessible location.

OOh an uprising would be interesting... One of the patrician families is double cousins with the emperor so if I get rid of one of those families (by turning them into slaves it would make the relationships less convoluted. Now I just need to work out how to do it and play it out next round.

Lab Assistant
#1986 Old 21st Jun 2014 at 9:27 AM
Ugh, I'm so mad. And bummed. For no apparent reason other than boredom, one of my stupid sims attacked one of the sims that was becoming one of my favorites! She's even from the family that looks like they will be the emperors. And of course she is one of the prettiest Sims I have, because I would've liked to marry her off to a good husband and give her lots of little Neander-babies.
Luckily, right before she got into a fight, she had a baby with her young love and the baby has her eyes and hair, so maybe she will grow up to resemble her mama. I'm so mad. I even compromised and let them get into 3 fights and did best 2 out of 3 trying to give it a shot... then I even let the father of her baby plead with the Grim Reaper, and he lost. I literally tried everything short of outright cheating to keep her alive, and all to no avail.
I'm so mad at the other Sim. She's going to have a bad life now. Creator-induced Karma
She couldn't have killed a Sim I didn't like.
Screenshots

The Test of Time Challenge BLOG
Sims 4 stories blog HERE
Lab Assistant
#1987 Old 21st Jun 2014 at 4:41 PM
Oh that stinks and I had a similar thing happen like that yesterday. Luckily it was between two male spares, but the male that lost is the second born male and the other was the 4th or 5th born in a family of 8 kids. I did let them do more than one fight and luckily the one I needed to win did. I do not have enough females for everyone so, I am trying to make sure all my first and second born sims are paired off.
Lab Assistant
#1988 Old 21st Jun 2014 at 10:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by oxJennxo
Oh that stinks and I had a similar thing happen like that yesterday. Luckily it was between two male spares, but the male that lost is the second born male and the other was the 4th or 5th born in a family of 8 kids. I did let them do more than one fight and luckily the one I needed to win did. I do not have enough females for everyone so, I am trying to make sure all my first and second born sims are paired off.

Stupid Sims and their free will, lol.
See, I actually have the opposite problem. Way too many girls, not enough men to marry them to. The home I had moved her to temporarily is actually all women, I just needed space in the Hamilton house so another Gen 3 sim could be born, and Gen 3 so far has a LOT of boys, so I'm thinking I might have your problem when they become adults. My kidnapping camp killed like 3 males that would've come of age, so...that makes the shortage even worse.

Sims 4 stories blog HERE
Test Subject
#1989 Old 22nd Jun 2014 at 5:45 PM
It's so fun to read everyone's stories =) I can't wait until I get into a period of real civilization!

I'm in my third generation of neanderthals, but now everyone seems to be getting the worst gene combinations and is related to everyone else =(

I haven't been very good at taking pictures and keeping documentation, partly because it's really annoying that all of my pregnant sims always wear the horrible maxis maternity outfits. Does anyone know the best way to fix that? Is the wardrobe wrangler easy to use?

EDIT: also, can anyone recommend a better blog site than weebly? Mine seems to lose its formatting, plus I haven't been able to access the site to update it in a long time =(

http://ambrosiatot.weebly.com/
Field Researcher
#1990 Old 22nd Jun 2014 at 7:45 PM
(Soft sobbing is heard from the corner of the challenge forum.) My hard drive is toast and I haven't backed up onto an external drive since December 2012! How did I go for more than a year without moving my backup files off my desktop onto the external drive? (Louder wailing sobs) I think this might be a good thing in a way. I need to finish a dissertation and the Sims were distracting me. So, once I finish writing and defending, I will start the hours and days of rebuilding needed to get my families back up and ready to end the Dark Ages. You won't see me for awhile, but I will be checking in every once in a while to hear the updates and read your stories. (I can live vicariously through all of you.)

I couldn't stay away from my Sims, they help my creative side come out! Taking a break from my RV life to take care of family issues, so Sims helps me to unwind. Let me know what you are up to with your Sims so I can check it out!
Lab Assistant
#1991 Old 22nd Jun 2014 at 10:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cespencer7
(Soft sobbing is heard from the corner of the challenge forum.) My hard drive is toast and I haven't backed up onto an external drive since December 2012! How did I go for more than a year without moving my backup files off my desktop onto the external drive? (Louder wailing sobs) I think this might be a good thing in a way. I need to finish a dissertation and the Sims were distracting me. So, once I finish writing and defending, I will start the hours and days of rebuilding needed to get my families back up and ready to end the Dark Ages. You won't see me for awhile, but I will be checking in every once in a while to hear the updates and read your stories. (I can live vicariously through all of you.)

*hug* I had two hard drives die on me, 9 mos apart (9 mos after installation each time) so I feel your pain. I wish you all the best with your dissertation, and hope to hear good news from you when you're done.
Field Researcher
#1992 Old 22nd Jun 2014 at 11:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Totallyshort
I haven't been very good at taking pictures and keeping documentation, partly because it's really annoying that all of my pregnant sims always wear the horrible maxis maternity outfits. Does anyone know the best way to fix that? Is the wardrobe wrangler easy to use?

Well, I'm using squinge's pregnant sims wear any outfit mod. It allows pregnant sims to wear their normal clothes. The only problem with this is that the 'normal' clothes need to have a pregnant morph otherwise your pregnant sims walk/behave like pregnant sims but you can't see their baby bump. Although, if you are using the neanderthal clothes from MTS you should be fine as they all have pregnant morphs.

Lab Assistant
#1993 Old 23rd Jun 2014 at 2:57 PM
Perhaps someone should create a Challenge creating Sims like Judge Judy, Twilight the Volturi Family. The Volturi family would be a real challenge you got their skin color, eyes, formal co\lothes and out going clothes, and on or others Sims no one has made just a thought!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0gp5S9zZXg
Screenshots
Instructor
#1994 Old 25th Jun 2014 at 2:21 PM
Back on topic. Has anyone developed a good method of hunting for income? I'm toying with the idea of staring another test of time hood because I kind of miss the neanderthal era lol (this is why I'm not going to finish this thing in a hundred years). One way I've been thinking about using is having sims hike and sell any objects they get and then buy fish/groceries with the money. My main issue with this is they can go days without getting anything, get a sunflower (which buys like one fish), go days without finding anything and then find something worth $200 and have like 6 fish. Fishing and gardening are much easier ways to make money but they just don't feel very authentic to me.

Field Researcher
#1995 Old 25th Jun 2014 at 2:58 PM
As I'm pretty sure I'll miss the neanderthal era once I make the transition to the roman era, too, I'll try to have another 'class' consisting of people that more or less live like the neanderthal sims just in a more jungle (more wood/grass, less stones) setting (kinda like native tribes). That would also be nice for later when I reach colonization (if I ever get that far XD) and don't have native americans appearing out of nowhere.

As for hunting, I don't really have an idea. You could simple roll a dice everytime you send a sim hiking and than give him fish/groceries depending on the outcome but that will hardly feel more authentic/natural I suppose. What about those npc animals one can download? I've never used them so I have no idea what could be done with them?

Lab Assistant
#1996 Old 26th Jun 2014 at 10:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Totallyshort
It's so fun to read everyone's stories =) I can't wait until I get into a period of real civilization!

I'm in my third generation of neanderthals, but now everyone seems to be getting the worst gene combinations and is related to everyone else =(

EDIT: also, can anyone recommend a better blog site than weebly? Mine seems to lose its formatting, plus I haven't been able to access the site to update it in a long time =(

http://ambrosiatot.weebly.com/

I use wordpress for mine and it works well for me right now, but I'm just about to finish my Neanderthal stage.

I am also going to miss the Neanderthal stage. It's not even time yet, and I was excited to move on to the next stage, but the closer it gets, the more I'm like, "But...my Neanderthals!" Plus I don't really want to rebuild their stupid houses.... it's going to be this whole thing. It's hard enough to find time to just play, but having to remodel everything, change everyone's outfits... everything. It's going to be a whole production.
And as I will be entering the third generation very soon, I am also finding that I wasn't careful enough with pairing people up, plus a lot of people just died on me, and now marrying people in the next generation is not going to be a fun task. Also, due to people dropping like flies, I'm not sure my slave population is going to be even close to as big as it should be. We'll see how the rest of this round goes, but at this point, it isn't even possible. :\ I even added one more dark skinned Sim to the mix last round to marry this woman who had no prospects and her family was about to die off because her only surviving brother picked a fight with his sister and died... then she had a baby with some other guy in a last ditch effort to have a boy, and she did but it got this rogue shiny skin that I hate, and it keeps popping up in my households with skin 3 or 4. :\

Sims 4 stories blog HERE
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#1997 Old 26th Jun 2014 at 10:57 AM
What you can do is once the baby turns toddler is extract them and package them,then download and see what skin it is and remove it from your game. You can use SimPE to change the toddlers skin, and if you remove it from your game also change any other sims with it.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
#1998 Old 26th Jun 2014 at 3:10 PM Last edited by bnymph : 26th Jun 2014 at 3:12 PM. Reason: Request
Default My new group
Ok, I have another fb page, so feel free to add me. I created a new group, with lots of info in there. I actually went through and read the ENTIRE WCIF post, to see if I could find things people were looking for, and websites that are still live, and things like that. So you get a lot of info in there.

EDIT: If someone could suggest a nice pic for my group, and upload it here, I will use it, thanks.

Lab Assistant
#1999 Old 26th Jun 2014 at 10:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lbsgirl24
Back on topic. Has anyone developed a good method of hunting for income? One way I've been thinking about using is having sims hike and sell any objects they get and then buy fish/groceries with the money. My main issue with this is they can go days without getting anything, get a sunflower (which buys like one fish), go days without finding anything and then find something worth $200 and have like 6 fish. Fishing and gardening are much easier ways to make money but they just don't feel very authentic to me.

I think I have a way to deal with your issue. Come up with some random cash amounts, pick ones you like, then assign them to a dice roll. Then on days when they get nothing from their hikes, you just roll the dice, and see what they got. Personally, I'd probably keep at least one option where they didn't get anything, because when you're hunting those days happen.
Lab Assistant
#2000 Old 27th Jun 2014 at 12:37 AM
I didn't allow farming at first, I made my Neanderthals undergo a realistic agricultural revolution. I only allowed fishing and hunting for the first generation. I can't find the chart I used, but it went something like this. There were two rolls, Injury and Success. Injury is per Sim, whereas hunting is rolled for the party as a whole. Each Sim going adds 1 to the result. I then allowed them to buy groceries with their earnings, because I didn't have a better way of translating from their hunting to their actual food. Teen is more likely to get injured because they are less experienced.

Hope this was interesting!

Injury Roll
Adult:
1-4: No Injury
5: Mild Injury (6 hours rest)
6: Severe Injury (24 hours rest)

Teen:
1-3: No Injury
4-5: Mild Injury (6 hours rest)
6: Severe Injury (24 hours rest)

Hunting Success Roll:
Either: