Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Sep 2017 at 1:10 PM Last edited by dlseis : 5th Sep 2017 at 2:26 PM.
Default The Game Timeline as Sims see It
It's a given that the gameplay from the Sims 1 to Sims 3 gets a lot better from each and every iteration. But, when viewed from the Sims' point of view, it suddenly becomes... terrifying.

• In Sims 3, every Sim from child to elder owns a mobile phone. They can do all sorts of things, from finding a job, streaming the internet, taking pictures and calling for services. But years later, in Sims 1, they are forced to use a landline phone, with very little functionality at that.

• They could also own various modes of transportation, from cars, scooters, bicycles and motorcycles - even a personal teleporter. Years later they have to settle for a carpool - or a magical hole in the ground.

• Anyone noticed that the TV shows show video footages from previous Sims games? (Sims 1 = static pictures. Sims 2 = SimCity 4. Sims 3 = Sims 2. Sims 4 = Sims 3.) What's that, they're watching shows filmed from the future?

Anything else you can add? Or even better, provide an explanation - from their point of view - on why did they backtrack on technology. Thanks for reading my rant.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 3rd Sep 2017 at 2:12 PM Last edited by GrijzePilion : 3rd Sep 2017 at 2:24 PM.
This is why I don't bother with fictional timelines. You'll know what I mean if you've seen Star Trek.

The way as I see it, it's all an abstract, simplified representation of real life seen through a computer screen. The timeline of these games correspond with the point in time at which the games came out, and all premades merely serve as background filler in lieu of our Sims. They might as well be holograms; they're all there just to spice it up a little.

Just like Star Trek. How come we jump from having 2010s-era futuristic crap in the NuTrek movies, to 60s-era futuristic crap in TOS, to 80s-era futuristic crap in the TOS movies, to more but different 80s-era futuristic crap in TNG, to a whole ton of other shit that doesn't fit in anywhere? Like I said, it's just what happens when a thing happens and is then retold, reimagined, visualized, taken for a ride by creative directors, rewritten to make Sulu gay for no particular reason, and then retold again. And what does God need with a starship? I'm not even sure it's supposed to make sense.

So don't overcomplicate it. TS1 is set in the early 00s, TS2 is set in the mid-to-late 00s, TS3 is set in the early 10s, and TS4 is set in the mid-to-late 10s. And Into The Future and Medieval, fuck if I know.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd Sep 2017 at 2:51 PM
Your perception of the Sims series makes the game look like a digital dollhouse updated through the computer age. Not bad. While I don't care about all those pre-mades, I do like the generational play though. That's what makes me come back to this game, even if my computer has a love-hate relationship with it.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 3rd Sep 2017 at 3:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by dlseis
Your perception of the Sims series makes the game look like a digital dollhouse updated through the computer age.

Well, when you think about it, isn't that exactly what The Sims is?
I honestly don't even know why I keep coming back to this game. It certainly isn't the gameplay, because I get bored of it pretty quickly. Or the graphics, because they're never quite good enough. Or the storytelling, because it's too shallow to tell real stories. Not the music either, it's not THAT good. Maybe it's the creative freedom then? I don't know.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#5 Old 3rd Sep 2017 at 4:31 PM
For me, it's Gobias Koffee.
Alchemist
#6 Old 4th Sep 2017 at 12:55 PM
Thanks to the nods to the previous games it's easy for things to get confused: we consider the movies that sims watch on TV old, like a previous generation of movies IRL, while for them it would be something super new and exciting, akin to movies with sound when they first came out IRL. All the anachronistic things like modern computers, tablets, fashions and vehicles in a game set in a time 40-50 years ago certainly throw a wrench in the "plot". I prefer to either not concern myself with continuity (having not played the other games) or just consider all the games as alternate universes or timelines.

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Mad Poster
#7 Old 4th Sep 2017 at 1:03 PM
I disregard the game's lore entirely - only my own bears any degree of validity. Since The Sims is merely a representation of real life, a rendition, everything Sims do is a matter of artistic license.
Of course they speak English, and of course they have sex and get drunk. It just looks and sounds little different through the computer screen, and that's okay because we can use our imagination to see through that. And the closer it gets to real life, the less imagination it takes.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#12 Old 5th Sep 2017 at 10:20 AM
Yeah, but what's the point of any of those? I mean, I can see Latin, but the rest?

insert signature here
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#14 Old 5th Sep 2017 at 12:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
Sims 1 came out before Sims 3, so I'm really confused by your post.

I am talking about the game events as Sims see it, not the actual game release date. For example, Mortimer Goth was still young in Sims 3, and in Sims 1, he's already an adult.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Judging by the replies to my post, it looks like it's not only me who does not give a damn about the in-game lore. Not bad. The only pre-mades that I ever played with are the Newbies, and that was still on Sims 1.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#18 Old 6th Sep 2017 at 4:18 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Kaiko Espurr Mikkusu
Some of them live in a realistic version of Earth.

Now this is getting darker...
Mad Poster
#19 Old 6th Sep 2017 at 5:39 PM
Some of them live in a realistic version of Earth.

I'd say all of them do. After all, so do we.

insert signature here
Site Helper
#20 Old 8th Sep 2017 at 1:30 AM
One that the game actually mentioned in Sims 2:

Sims discovered animals in Sims 1, and were able to have pets.
Then Sims 2 came out and all the animals were gone. I forgot which career it was where your sim was investigating important questions like "Where did all the animals go?"

And in Sims 3, the question became "Where did the animals and the weather go?"

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Mad Poster
#22 Old 8th Sep 2017 at 5:26 PM
Tell that to the whole stuff some simmers have of vampires, werewolves, witches, fairies, mermaids, plantsims, genies, playable ghosts, tragic clowns, imaginary friends, grim reaper offspring, deersims, robots, future sims, elves, dryads, Nobodies, Heartlesses, Unversed, , Pokémon Gijnkas, Sixamites, homestuck trolls, homestuck kids, Animal Crossing Gijnkas, berry sims, shannified sims, My Little Pony Friendship is Magic Gijnkas, Crystal Gems, Time Lords, all living in the same town. That is'nt realistic.

And that's why those Simmers are playing a different game, a game that has nothing to do with the one I'm playing. A game that, I think, they're playing the wrong way.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#24 Old 8th Sep 2017 at 9:33 PM
There's no wrong way. This is why EAxis...

You should know better than to think EAxis is never wrong.

insert signature here
Page 1 of 2