Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Jun 2015 at 10:09 PM
Sims ignore Vehicle Ownership?
I guess this is something that I should've asked a long long time ago, but I just wanted to ask now for some reason...

I guess 1 of the reasons I didn't ask because I didn't know what caused it & why. I also didn't find anything useful on google as well which makes me wonder am I the only person with this issue...

So I bought Into The Future and I noticed sims ignored vehicle ownership. I noticed this in Oasis Landing when when my teenage sim was going to sell the plumbot. I set the car ownership to his brother, but the plumbot took it to the emporium (and the teen sim just want to ride the monorail). So as it turns out, the plumbot was sold along with the car.

Then, I keep noticing this all over the place. If my sim household doesn't have enough vehicles, the teen sims will took their parents cars or harley out, then their parents got to took someone else's cars or grab a taxi to work. Sometimes, it's even sillier, they walk to work because their children took their car to go on a date.

A couple weeks ago, I found a post on the sims forums saying a new patch replaced the ownership with preferences but that post was long ago. So, is there any way to work around this? It's o annoying.
Advertisement
One Minute Ninja'd
#2 Old 22nd Jun 2015 at 10:57 PM
Cars can be made preferred to a sim in a household. That way, if they need a vehicle, they will try and use that preferred vehicle first. however, if someone else has that vehicle out, they will take another one if available in the garage (or their ass, if that's where they're keeping them to save a parking spot, but then that's usually their preferred vehicle anyway). If a sims in the household does NOT have a preference, they will grab a vehicle, generally selecting the fastest vehicle first, which might be Dad's ride to work (tough break, Dad).

The only solid way around it is to have every eligible family member have their own vehicle as a preferred ride, or, never teaching the teens how to drive so they don't take the Beemer to go out on their hot date when you need to get to the office.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 22nd Jun 2015 at 11:32 PM
Leave the vehicle in the sim's inventory that you want them to use. They can't take items away from each other's inventory, but like the person above me said they'll take any vehicle available. Preferred only means that's there first option. Another thing you can do is just pause the game when someone has the car you want already out and then just open that sim's inventory and place the car back in the parking spot at home so the sim that needs it can have it.
One Minute Ninja'd
#5 Old 22nd Jun 2015 at 11:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
I think you can also put the cars in the sim's inventory. I don't think another sim can take the car from 1 sim's inventory.

Yeah, that would be pretty bad if someone else could pull your car out of your ass without at least your permission first.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 23rd Jun 2015 at 8:33 AM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
Yeah, that would be pretty bad if someone else could pull your car out of your ass without at least your permission first.

And I'm dead! I love you eskie227!

Vivi e lascia vivere.
My blog Simplex Sims for more elder and teen CC.
Test Subject
#7 Old 23rd Jun 2015 at 4:50 PM
A very talented modder might be able to make a mod for this. I tried a long time ago but could not get my idea to work.

My concept was to use a pie chart like the one used for locking doors but to have three options. First only the Sim named allowed to use the car, second allow anyone in the household to use the car, and third to allow no one to use the car.

In the end, I put cheap bikes in everyone inventory who did not have a car. Then removed the bike stands and put them in household inventory. In my household of eight, I have five who rode bikes. The father was assigned the sport car, the mother the mini van, and the middle teen was assigned the cheapest junk car. Problem was solved, but did cost a little money to do it.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 25th Jun 2015 at 11:24 PM Last edited by Lonerbum : 25th Jun 2015 at 11:45 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by xzone7
A very talented modder might be able to make a mod for this. I tried a long time ago but could not get my idea to work.

My concept was to use a pie chart like the one used for locking doors but to have three options. First only the Sim named allowed to use the car, second allow anyone in the household to use the car, and third to allow no one to use the car.

In the end, I put cheap bikes in everyone inventory who did not have a car. Then removed the bike stands and put them in household inventory. In my household of eight, I have five who rode bikes. The father was assigned the sport car, the mother the mini van, and the middle teen was assigned the cheapest junk car. Problem was solved, but did cost a little money to do it.

I'd like that, I just don't quite get the point of garage or ownerships if any sims can use any cars & if sims can take the cars or bikes from their parents.
One Minute Ninja'd
#9 Old 26th Jun 2015 at 1:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Lonerbum
I'd like that, I just don't quite get the point of garage or ownerships if any sims can use any cars & if sims can take the cars or bikes from their parents.

Well, it's kinda like that in the real world. It's not all that common for a family with several driving age teens to have exclusive vehicles for every person. There might be one or two extra cars whose use gets negotiated out. So if Danny has baseball practice, Tammy has her Python for Teens at the junior college, and Dawn is going on a mall crawl with three of her best friends, rides will get divied up and perhaps mom & dad's cars will enter the mix to get everyone where they HAVE to be. Same thing here.

It's not like any old sim walking by the lot who has a hankering for a ride because their feet hurt can grab one for a joyride.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 26th Jun 2015 at 2:31 AM
It's not like any old sim walking by the lot who has a hankering for a ride because their feet hurt can grab one for a joyride.

This is much closer to reality for some of us, you know. It depends on where you live.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 29th Jun 2015 at 12:34 AM
Well, it's kinda like that in the real world. It's not all that common for a family with several driving age teens to have exclusive vehicles for every person. There might be one or two extra cars whose use gets negotiated out. So if Danny has baseball practice, Tammy has her Python for Teens at the junior college, and Dawn is going on a mall crawl with three of her best friends, rides will get divied up and perhaps mom & dad's cars will enter the mix to get everyone where they HAVE to be. Same thing here.

But in the real world, the parents will drive 3 of these teens to where they want to go. While in sim world, these 3 sims can take the car out & will take turns taking themselves to where they want to go, or all 3 will take all the cars from their parents then their parents got to walk to work or grab a cab. In Oasis Landing that I talked about, the plumbot was sold along with the car because it decided to drive itself & took the car from someone else in the house. The game didn't give the car back, that car was gone. When the plumbot was sold, my household din't get any money back for the car, only for the plumbot.