Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Aug 2018 at 4:47 AM
Default How should i organize my 10GB+ of cc?
so i have a lot of cc.. i run into conflicts and glitches all of the time. I end up using the 50/50 method but i feel like it would be so much easier if my mods were organized. I want to do sub folders and i have an idea of how i want to do that but my concern is figuring out what everything is. How can i organize an already horrendous mods folder? There's absolutely no organization of any kind going on in my mods folder right now, everything is just jumbled together. Any tips would be so helpful <3
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 5th Aug 2018 at 5:11 AM
I suggest to download Sims 4 Studio and open each package up to see what it is and rename both the in-game name and file name to organize, you can get the naming structure from the game's default sorting system, if the cc does not match the category it should be in, you can re-categorize them with S4S (many book and food clutter I downloaded were in Plants, I put them in Storage-Bookshelf and Clutter with DecoBook, DecoFood tags to easily find them).
Gameplay: Script Mod, Tuning Mod, Overrides, Custom Harvestibles, Food...
CAS: Accesories, Makeup, Skin, Hair, Clothing, Shoes, Child, Toddler, Pet...
Build: Door, Windows, Wallpaper, Floor...
Buy: Appliances, Electronics, Deco...
Then CC Creator name - CC name and other tags like Mesh, Recolors, Retexture (so you would not delete the mesh if you still have a recolor that is attached to it, which causes the missing mesh glitches)
Or just delete them all and start over, because you are having glitches with a tall heap of mess. Sometimes it's just less overwhelming to begin the organizing with a small pile.
Scholar
#3 Old 5th Aug 2018 at 5:36 AM
Organizing from the start prevents your mods becoming horrendous, and most organized way you can be is preview every download with Sim4Studio before it goes in, and it also helps to learn a little about modding so you can know what the package is and what to expect, and never judge just by screenshots or what the creator claims it does.

Package files can go in a limited number of deeper sub-folders, while any ts4script file can go in only one subfolder deep, for good organization, no files should be placed in the parent Mod folder
Scholar
#4 Old 5th Aug 2018 at 7:17 AM
If you're a bit lazy but still wanna be organized, like me ( )
you can use the more general type of folders and only categorize by file names, using google when it's not clear enough

I have only a few folders to keep my stuff in order:
CAS (everything CAS related : hairs, cloths, make up, skin details etc)
Build (doors, windows, floors, walls etc)
Buy (furnitures, lightings and decorations)
Random modders (for mods by people I only have one or two of their mods)
specific modders names (for mods of modders I have most of that creator's mods that it takes up a folder on it's own)

it's pretty easy to quickly categorize with this method
than make sure to batch-fix everything in the 3 first folders, using Sims4Studio, to make sure it's fine.

if you wanna take out unused stuff, the best way is using sims 4 studio as well, when clicking on My CC you'll get the full list of the cc you own
when each object (almost) is visible to easily decide.
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#5 Old 5th Aug 2018 at 11:14 AM
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 5th Aug 2018 at 1:31 PM
Thank you everyone for your help and advice! (: Yes i'm aware i should have started to organize my mods from the start but i didn't so that's why i'm here lol. I appreciate all of your responses (:
Forum Resident
#7 Old 5th Aug 2018 at 6:26 PM
As far as foldering, I do a modified version of what Keren does.

I agree with Keren, although I have a few less folders. I am visually impaired so I try to keep it at a minimum.
Script Mods, CAS, Build, Buy and then, if I go on a spree, I have a separate folder for quarantine. MCCC and Zerbu's IU interface are just out in the open in my mods folder, as they should not be sub-foldered.

Batch fix everything before you use, especially if the content is older.
Bulk Rename to take out dashes, hyphens and other symbols - it also helps with human readability and alphabetization.
Scholar
#8 Old 5th Aug 2018 at 8:09 PM
Quote: Originally posted by chicvibe
As far as foldering, I do a modified version of what Keren does.

I agree with Keren, although I have a few less folders. I am visually impaired so I try to keep it at a minimum.
Script Mods, CAS, Build, Buy and then, if I go on a spree, I have a separate folder for quarantine. MCCC and Zerbu's IU interface are just out in the open in my mods folder, as they should not be sub-foldered.

Batch fix everything before you use, especially if the content is older.
Bulk Rename to take out dashes, hyphens and other symbols - it also helps with human readability and alphabetization.

Good mention about that script mods can only go 1 sub-folder deep inside the mods folder

but I wouldn't recommend renaming files, as it would make it between hard and impossible to find out their initial name if you'll need it late on.. (in case you'll need to remove or update them, etc)
Forum Resident
#9 Old 5th Aug 2018 at 8:46 PM
I don't rename them, just remove symbols. It drives me nuts, because I like stuff alphabetized, but anything in brackets or hyphens gets prioritized over non-hyphenated or bracketed stuff. The integrity of the named file is still there.