Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Jun 2007 at 11:16 PM
Default The Horror of Using Splenda
I had been very sick with a sore swollen throat and treated it but nothing would help. I was also suffering from: eye pain, swollen red gums, Eye twitching, racing heart, joint pain, swollen tongue, and nightmares. I had recently started using Splenda and decided to Google Splenda to see if there was any complaints, and boy was I surprised when I read this persons blog. It had all my symptoms and more. I have since stoped using Splenda and am 100% better. So if you have time please go look at this site because to me Splenda is not the safe sugar substitute they want you to believe it is.
http://www.belicove.com/archives/beliblog/000651.html#

Splenda was accidentally discovered be a chemist when they where trying to create a new pesticide. Think about that one. I'm warning everyone.

Barnabus

Visit my AVON Website.Shipped direct to your door:http://www.youravon.com/kathrynsmith
Stop the Junk, save a trunk :
http://www.USJunkMail.com/overview....er=KATHRYNS0136
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 6th Jun 2007 at 12:49 AM
Oh, I hope you feel better soon, vlad! Sorry to hear about the allergic reaction. Luckily, I think Splenda tastes like cardboard so I don't use it. I'll let my parents-in-law know about this, as they use it regularly. Thanks for the link!
#3 Old 6th Jun 2007 at 12:52 AM
That sucks! I hate the way it tastes. It's sweeter than regular suger!
Test Subject
#4 Old 6th Jun 2007 at 12:55 AM
I hate splenda. When it's in soda it makes my stomach ache.
Inventor
#5 Old 6th Jun 2007 at 12:59 AM
Wow, that might be whats wrong with me. I switched from regular soda to coke zero (with splenda) and I'v been getting symptoms like fatigue (I get alot of sleep but i feel awful and i passed out once), Blistered/swollen lips, shortness of breath, etc. Here's another list of symptoms.

http://splendasickness.blogspot.com/
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 6th Jun 2007 at 1:19 AM
Oh wow, that's a little frightening.

I've always been a little hesitant of sugar-substitues, (like aspertine, and now splenda). It's just... unnatural. I'd rather consume a few extra calories than crazy chemicals anyday.
Theorist
#7 Old 6th Jun 2007 at 12:49 PM
You guys should avoid all these fake sugars and 'diet sodas'...either give up soda (very good idea) or drink the real thing.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 6th Jun 2007 at 2:49 PM
Thanks for the link PennyTheCorgi I have not seen this one.

Visit my AVON Website.Shipped direct to your door:http://www.youravon.com/kathrynsmith
Mad Poster
#9 Old 6th Jun 2007 at 3:17 PM
Lol, didn't know about that. They've just introduced Coke Zero in Romania, and I hate it. I prefer coca cola light instead. Still chemical, lol. My doctor says it's bad because it contains sodium benzoate, but everything nowadays contains it.
#10 Old 6th Jun 2007 at 3:20 PM
I think part of Splenda is made up of chlorine.
Too much of that can't be very good for you at all.
Everything is bad for you, it's just how much you consume.
Too much water, too much fun, too much anything.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 6th Jun 2007 at 5:59 PM
I remember a couple years ago when they first started doing the Splenda commericals, my mom's chiropractor told her about Splenda and there was some chemical in it that was bad. I can't think of it now.
Anyway, I hate fake sugar, especially Splenda. Splenda always has a 'chemical/fake' taste to it. I'd rather just use a tiny amount of REAL sugar.
Test Subject
#12 Old 6th Jun 2007 at 6:15 PM
I had no idea.I just thought it had a bad taste.Thanks for the info and I hope you start feeling better
Mad Poster
#13 Old 6th Jun 2007 at 6:30 PM
Nothing the food industry does surprises me anymore, especially after the diethylene glycol debacle recently. I think it's quite clear that those who are supposed to be minding the store ... aren't.

And nasty allergies to foods and chemicals in general are certainly very common. I remember taking a common antihistamine back in the 80's .... darned if I remember the name now, but it was all over the air once ... and feeling like I was on speed. My pulse was racing out of control, I couldn't sit still or concentrate. It scared the crap out of me. I thought something was going to explode inside me! I don't know how I made it through work. I thought I might have had to go to the ER. It turned out that the medicine DID have a chemical that was, techincally, an amphetimine, and some other people were having the same problems when they took it. The drug is no longer around now. Fortunately.

That stinks that you had such a bad reaction to Splenda. I'm glad you feel better! Honey as a sweetener sounds better and better over the years (unless the person is under two)!

But I'm having a LOT of trouble trying to find an accredited medical publication or known credible source that has the information about Splenda and its origins as a pesiticide. Does anyone have a link? Snopes is no help, which is surprising. I might inquire over there. I see plenty of stuff citing this information when I Google it, but nothing that is from a source I recognize as a credible one. I read about "independent researchers" and "known sources", but ... whom?

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
#14 Old 6th Jun 2007 at 6:42 PM
I don't like full-sugar Coke though It makes my teeth feel funny.

But yoink.. allergies! They should put a health warning on it! I'm allergic to milk, wheat and eggs, and they're in virtually everything. Sucks. Oh, and I had some prawn crackers yesterday (not that I particularly like them), and they made my mouth feel tingly.

Anyway, I don't have a sweet tooth at all. I have my tea unsweetened, so I've never used Splenda. So best thing to do is follow my lead and join the Anti-Sweet club!
Inventor
#15 Old 6th Jun 2007 at 6:47 PM
Huh, I was lookig for links for Gazania about splenda and pesticides (didn't find much) and I came acrossed this. Kinda scary.... I think I'll stick with regular soda in moderation.

Quote:
Did anyone happen to here that Splenda contains a Molecule that is really a pesticide? That during testing of the product it caused "shrunkenThymus Glands & enlarged Kidney and Livers" in test rats.That the FDA stated that " the findings weren't conclusive enough to stop the production." The claim is that they are using humans for their guinea pigs.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 6th Jun 2007 at 6:52 PM
Here's an article, quite comprehensive. http://www.kon.org/urc/frank.html

and another one http://www.nutrimedical.com/news.jh...iew&news.id=534
Field Researcher
#17 Old 6th Jun 2007 at 8:16 PM
I hate artificial sweeteners and suger substitutes - they are pure sweet evil. :disagree: I'm sorry to here that people are having trouble with them. A lot of my family are allergic to artifical sweeteners. :yech:
Scholar
#18 Old 6th Jun 2007 at 8:37 PM
I always avoid anything that says low-fat, low-sugar or sugar free, because I always thought the chemicals they put in to replace the fat and the sugar are worse for you that the actual fat and sugar. In fact we have hardly any processed food in our house.
Theorist
#19 Old 6th Jun 2007 at 9:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by romyhorse
I always avoid anything that says low-fat, low-sugar or sugar free, because I always thought the chemicals they put in to replace the fat and the sugar are worse for you that the actual fat and sugar. In fact we have hardly any processed food in our house.

That's how I feel. You are better off having the 'real' thing in moderation. Your body knows how to process real sugar/real fat (as in butter) but not these man-made chemicals.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#20 Old 6th Jun 2007 at 11:14 PM
Thanks for the link crocobaura the second one was very informative. I sent that one to my folks. My dad has been having problems with his memory since on Splenda and I am trying to convince him how bad it is for him, maybe he'll believe me over time. I believe that part about the pesticide I read on that blog I posted, but I may have misread it and it was talking about it being compared to DDT, I was very upset at the time I was reading all of those post and totally tripping on everything I was reading. I will never ever use a sweetener again I should have learned the first time when Aspartame make my limbs go numb.

Mad Poster
#21 Old 7th Jun 2007 at 3:22 AM
That first link was precisely what I had in mind, crocobaura, though the second link was also fascinating. Thank you.

That's it. I'm using more honey in my tea. This link below obviously isn't a medical source, but it's nice to know that I can use honey on my face, too. You can't do THAT with Splenda, I bet! (Nor do I think I'd want to.)

http://www.femhealth.com/BenefitsofHoney.html

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
#22 Old 9th Jun 2007 at 2:58 AM
Uh, guys, in the first article posted it says quite explicitly:

Quote:
They say everyone's allergic to something, so I'm not here to suggest that Splenda's bad for everyone;

If the fact that people are allergic to a substance makes it unsafe, then it's a wonder why peanuts, strawberries and milk are still on the store shelves! Splenda allergies just make you swell up and itch, peanut allergies can easily be DEADLY! Think of the children!!! [/sarcasm]

And, yes, chlorine is an element in the compound. However, when elements react, they take on radically different properties.

Sodium is an element found in ordinary table salt and soap and neccessary for our bodies to function.

Oxygen gas, O(2) is also neccessary for us to function. O(3), also known as ozone, is toxic.

I'm not saying it's the best thing in the world and you should consume it every day, but it's not THAT bad.
Field Researcher
#23 Old 9th Jun 2007 at 3:27 AM
I've got to stop drinking Diet Coke so freaking much; I drink one bottle almost every day. It's one thing to know something can do harm--it's another thing to know and to act. So, I think I'll stick to water from now on, thanks to this thread.

Come to think of it, drinking diet sodas and eating artificially-sweetened foods is a way of avoiding having to do the hard work of cutting down on the amount of calories by actually eating less. Counterproductive laziness is the word--your laziness comes back to bite you, so just don't be lazy at all!

On a slight tangent, my parents had lost a significant amount of weight ever since they quit all soft drinks altogether years ago. They have such amazing discipline.

"Make believe in magic, make believe in dreams
Make believe impossible, nothing as it seems
See, touch, taste, smell, hear, but never know if it's real"
--The Cure, "More Than This"
#24 Old 9th Jun 2007 at 3:35 AM
My cousin once had these bars (chocolate granola thing) that had splenda in it and I got really sick from it but I didn't think anything of it till I ate something else that had splenda in it and got sick once again. I won't touch it anymore. Then I here news stories about it not being good for you and am glad I won't be touching it anymore.

I also stay away from anything with aspartame in it.
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 9th Jun 2007 at 4:08 AM
hmmm thats weird. i never had any splenda symptoms and i've used it for many years...

I love Jude Law
Page 1 of 3