Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Sep 2017 at 8:52 PM
Default assumptions
Here's an off-the-wall question. Do you ever look at someone's avi and imagine what they are like? For example, when you see Precious, my avi, do you assume that I am fat, lazy, extremely attractive to skunks, and a cat?

What brought this up is Lamere's avi which is Lisa Simpson. But, in her avi, Lisa is scowling and looking quite ill tempered. I don't believe Lamere is, but...her avi made me think that was a possibility. (Sorry. I don't mean to be picking on you, Lamere).

Just wondering.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 2nd Sep 2017 at 9:00 PM
All the time. lol
So I made sure my avi was a close to exact description of me, well a picture of me. Here you go!
I could totally walk around with a toy giraffe in my mouth. I'm a child, a teen and a soon to be old lady all together.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Mad Poster
#3 Old 2nd Sep 2017 at 9:11 PM
How is this related to Sims? Shouldn't this go to Off-Topic?
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 2nd Sep 2017 at 9:13 PM
Sometimes.
I love aliens, hence my pic is Stella Terrano.
Or maybe it's because I am secretly an alien...the world may never know

My Simblr
He/They
Mad Poster
#5 Old 2nd Sep 2017 at 9:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
I could totally walk around with a toy giraffe in my mouth. I'm a child, a teen and a soon to be old lady all together.

Didn't realize there was a giraffe in your avi until now. I thought it was a flower or something (the red background).

Anyway, the avi usually says something about the person behind the name, because they chose their avi for some or another reason.

I've had the same here on MTS for a while (save for the ugly drawing that I added a short while back), and in many ways it tells a little of who I am (a bit too childish for my own good). I've had several different avis on various sites. On my own site, my avatar is a black bird, since my name there is "Theraven", and during Christmas it sometimes gets a santa hat, because why not? (refers to my MTS avi...)
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 2nd Sep 2017 at 10:32 PM
I just thought you liked Loony Tunes cartoons.

On the other hand...I actually am a dark Chao.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 2nd Sep 2017 at 10:39 PM
I'm not a Polar Bear, but have been known to act as one in real life-big, boorish and adorable as all hell.
But in actuality, think the opposite and you have the real me.
Except for the adorable part. That one carried over.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#8 Old 2nd Sep 2017 at 10:54 PM
I'm most definitely not a Bulbasaur, despite what you might think.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 2nd Sep 2017 at 11:17 PM
And I am not a kitten, but I am a crazy cat lady.

smorbie1 I thought you were a cat-probably because I'm not American and we don't have skunks.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#10 Old 2nd Sep 2017 at 11:29 PM
That is a cat. But she's a cat who gets a stripe painted down her back under various unlikely circumstances, and attracts the attention of Pepe LePew, a Romance skunk who doesn't understand consent issues. Like, at all.

I associate people with their avatars; that's kind of what they're for. When Mootilda died I reflected on the absurdity of mourning for someone I'd never actually spoken to, whose name I didn't know, and who looked like a cartoon cow. But that's internet life, isn't it? And just because our internet social masks are more plainly masks than those we wear in real life, doesn't mean we can't know the person behind the mask well enough to love them.

One person told me they always think of me as "the lady in my avatar," which means they automatically think of me as black. So I have to take particular care and specify that I'm white as rice when I speak on certain subjects, about which any person of color should be listened to ahead of me. But I'd have to do that anyhow and this avatar means I get to see Ernest and Sage Ann even when I'm not playing Drama Acres.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 2nd Sep 2017 at 11:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ihatemandatoryregister
I'm most definitely not a Bulbasaur, despite what you might think.

But your signature says you (secretly) are. I suspect a coverup. :D
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12 Old 2nd Sep 2017 at 11:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
That is a cat. But she's a cat who gets a stripe painted down her back under various unlikely circumstances, and attracts the attention of Pepe LePew, a Romance skunk who doesn't understand consent issues. Like, at all.

I remember watching that cartoon as a kid and not understanding it. To me both were cats (since skunks were out of my realm of knowledge) but the boy was rather nasty and smelly. I was like, why doesn't she just scratch his face. *shudder*

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#13 Old 2nd Sep 2017 at 11:47 PM
No, I do not make assumptions about anyone's avatar on game related sites, as people choose what they use for all types of reasons; those reasons do not always have anything to do with their personality type/who they are.

My avatar is of the only sim that I ever liked during my 2+ yr stint of playing TS3. She was a game generated adopted sim, who turned out to be a great sim to play from childhood through adulthood. So, when I knew that it was time to move on from playing TS3 and return to playing TS2, I took a few pics of her knowing that one of them would end up being used as my avatar on various game related forums and blogs.

Now, on non-game related forums and blogs, my avatars are always Star Trek, ballet or astronomy related. Those do greatly reflect my personality and interest.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Mad Poster
#14 Old 2nd Sep 2017 at 11:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by quycksylver
But your signature says you (secretly) are. I suspect a coverup. :D

Nope. Definitely am not a Bulbasaur. Disregard anything else.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 2nd Sep 2017 at 11:54 PM
I don't judge anyone on their avatars. Besides, mostly I'm on my tablet or mobile when checking the forums and don't see any.
Forum Resident
#16 Old 3rd Sep 2017 at 12:10 AM Last edited by SIMelissa : 3rd Sep 2017 at 2:03 AM.
I agree with simmer22. The avatars we choose say something about us. It might hint at our interests, our personality, how we see ourselves, how we want others to see us. It might be a reflection of who we are to our children, spouse, parents. Or it might be something we created or otherwise hold dear.

@smorbie -- I thought your name was Penelope and you spent your days fighting off unwanted proposals from men who are not your type.
@Fran -- are you saying that you aren't really cute,cuddly, Coca-Cola lover?
@Peni -- Guilty as charged. I thought the image was a self-sim of you and your hubby, and I erroneously thought you were black.

My avatar is an image of my Build-A-Bear. He's nekkid in the image, which I snagged off the Internet, but in real life he is always dressed. The outfit changes depending on where he is going and what he's going to do and whether he is going to get a picture taken.

So many things to learn; so few brain cells to process the info needed to learn things!
Shipwreck Island
Instructor
#17 Old 3rd Sep 2017 at 12:17 AM
I don't even know what to say about my avatar... I just like those two (I got them married, and they make awesome kids).
Mad Poster
#18 Old 3rd Sep 2017 at 12:21 AM
I deliberately chose a name and avatar that have basically nothing to do with me in real life, since I don't see a real need to connect the two... I do sometimes wonder what that leads other members to assume about me though!

For my own part, the only thing I ever really notice is that it's easier to see other members as "real" people rather than just "internet" people if their avatar has a human/Sim face (says the guy with an elvish letter as his avatar... )

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Scholar
#19 Old 3rd Sep 2017 at 12:23 AM Last edited by Florentzina : 3rd Sep 2017 at 1:44 AM.
Well, I often read the internet browsers on a minimized screen, so I can't always see peoples avatar and TBH, it's never something that bother me unless it's something offensive/rude (to each of their own whatever that is. On MTS that's rarely an issue due the rules on here) or VERY silly/childrish logo's (make me take them less seriously online), but generally I don't care about the avatar. I care more about how a member BEHAVE and treat others on a forum, as that's something I got very sensitive about it from other websites

My own avatar is one of my pets and my nickname is a mix of first and last name. The only reactions I got was that I was mistaken for a guy or love italy, because of Florens part of the nick which is a Walloon(-germanic background)-Swedish surname when spelled with ~TZ. So I try to safe with avatars and nicknames, as some do judge you for it, but personally I care more about how other people type to you (and no I don't mean spelling or grammar, I'm not fluent English speaker, so I don't judge other's,). My motto: Treat others after the way they treat you (and an avi isn't exactly targeting anybody specific, so thats a reason I dont judge people from it.. unless its on one those more general-for-everyone websites where offensive or suggestive pictures are more freely allowed and I would feel a bit awkward chatting with people with a "adult joke" pictures due being A-sexual).
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#20 Old 3rd Sep 2017 at 12:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
All the time. lol
So I made sure my avi was a close to exact description of me, well a picture of me. Here you go!

LOL! I always thought you were whispering in someone's ear!

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Mad Poster
#21 Old 3rd Sep 2017 at 12:44 AM
Well, mine is indirectly related to the Sims 2. Go ..... gerbits!

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 3rd Sep 2017 at 12:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by smorbie1
LOL! I always thought you were whispering in someone's ear!

No. I'm holding something's rear...

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#23 Old 3rd Sep 2017 at 1:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by PenelopeT
No, I do not make assumptions about anyone's avatar on game related sites, as people choose what they use for all types of reasons; those reasons do not always have anything to do with their personality type/who they are.

My avatar is of the only sim that I ever liked during my 2+ yr stint of playing TS3. She was a game generated adopted sim, who turned out to be a great sim to play from childhood through adulthood. So, when I knew that it was time to move on from playing TS3 and return to playing TS2, I took a few pics of her knowing that one of them would end up being used as my avatar on various game related forums and blogs.

That's a TS3 sim? Blimey - doesn't look a bit like I think of TS3 sims. Ah well.

I don't make assumptions either. People use the oddest images for avatars sometimes.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Scholar
#24 Old 3rd Sep 2017 at 1:09 AM
Smorbie - I just thought you liked cats, or liked Sylvester (I thought it was the Tweetie Pie cat; I'm not familiar with Pepe LePew).
Rosebine - I always wondered you meant about eating giraffes. I never noticed the one in the picture before.

But if you assume people resemble their avatars, I don't exist. So you must be imagining you're reading this.
Scholar
#25 Old 3rd Sep 2017 at 2:08 AM
I do not assume people look anything like their avatars, rather per default I'm under the impression the pictured sims are their current favourites.

But I admit that in case of non-sims avatars fragments along the line of "that one's playful/educated/dedicated to an agenda or franchise" or "oh cute (insert animal here) wonder if it's theirs irl" flash through my head all the time. It happens inevitably and as long as we get over the first instinctive (or just reflexive?) urge to judge all is fine.

My current avi is a testament to my tendency to cheat. In Sims 4 you are supposed to lie in wait for the sea monster for hours at a certain community lot, not comfortably breed a freshwater variant in a wildlife preserve in your neighborhood so that sims can visit and take a guaranteed photograph home for a mere 15 simoleons
(The snake is an fx effect, not an object. It spawns on command, swims a distance of about three times it's own length and disappears again.)
Page 1 of 4