Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Oct 2016 at 5:13 PM
Will having children with Servos corrupt my game?
As the title suggests, will having babies with Servos corrupt my game? I know that they can't Try For Baby, but Sim Blender gives you the option of having a kid with Servos. I'm not sure Servos are even considered "human", are they like normal Sims or are they more like special sims with incomplete user data / part of the object.package file (ie the Social Worker or the low-aspiration Therapist). I'm wondering because one of my Servos finally found love and well... he seems kinda lonely. I tried searching around but didn't find anything conclusive.

I guess while I'm at it, will having children with the Grim Reaper or playable Bigfoot sims corrupt my game?

Thanks!
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 28th Oct 2016 at 6:01 PM
Personally I wouldn't risk it. I'd stay on the safe side and adopt.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 28th Oct 2016 at 6:24 PM
You can try it in a test hood first. Either the baby would be incredibly borked, due to the lack of genetic material from the servo, or it'll be blandly pretty like Grim babies, which just grab genes from Face 1. Your game installation files will be fine - the SimBlender won't touch them in order to do this.

Having babies with Grim, the therapist, Santa, etc., only corrupts the game installation files if you try to do things with the NPCs themselves. Copying genetic files doesn't change the objects packages that the universals are part of.

To protect yourself, though, make sure the objects packages for each EP are set to read only. If they can't be changed, they can't be broken.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#4 Old 28th Oct 2016 at 6:37 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 28th Oct 2016 at 10:42 PM.
Back in my early simming days, I played around with servos. The kids of two servos usually ended up being a cloned version of the servo base sim (usually a base template face), with S1 (or S2?) skin and black hair (there's actual sims under the shell, and you can sometimes see them if you force the servo into clothes not intended for servos). Can't remember what happened if one sim was a servo and another a regular sim, but the kid might end up being a clone of the other parent, or perhaps even a mix.

It's the NPC-characters with special jobs or purposes you should under no circumstances try to mess around with (Crumplebottom, taxi/bus drivers, and various others). I think servos are more akin to a one-age life stage, though I don't want to say it for sure. Since they can be added to a family without any trouble, I would think they're relatively safe - but they do have their problems, and it's not much worth it, as their genetics are bad anyway. There can be multiple servos in a family, and they have somewhat regular pie menus, so they're technically not in the "untouchable" category.

In any case - if in doubt, don't do it - or test in a throwaway 'hood.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#5 Old 28th Oct 2016 at 6:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by frogz2007
If anything, it will probably do what happens if you try having kids with Grim (Which I'm sure would corrupt the game

Except it doesn't because the only sim file being messed with is that of the baby. Game corruption of that nature only happens when the game attempts to write something new into Grimmy's file.

Edit - ah, ninja'd by Peni.

I thought the servos grabbed their personalities from their creators (the ones who first started them up). I wonder if they also use their genetics. Maybe not but if not, the game will just provide some - usually a face template and the S3 skin.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 28th Oct 2016 at 7:16 PM
Thanks guys! I'll set those object files to read-only muck around in a test neighborhood first and see if anything starts blowing up - If all goes well, I'll still save a backup just in case things really start going wonky.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 28th Oct 2016 at 7:26 PM
I think this one is harmless, but they won't look robotic, which is probably why it's disabled.

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Mad Poster
#8 Old 28th Oct 2016 at 7:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsfreq
I think this one is harmless, but they won't look robotic, which is probably why it's disabled.

I would have guessed it's because robots don't have testicles or ovaries.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#9 Old 28th Oct 2016 at 10:13 PM
You can have babies with a servo just use the simblender. With Universals like Grim it's also safe so long as you don't touch them, eg do not make them selectable just again use something like the simblender. Grim and servos will not give you interesting babies though, just a rather boring face 1 or 2-whichever template the game draws from I forget.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
#10 Old 29th Oct 2016 at 12:31 AM
characters that have a skin for each age+gender combination can safely be involved in sim pregnancy.
in shipped version, there are just 2 character types where that applies; human, alien. not sure what would happen with all the rest; mannequin, the game may crash at the time of the birth.
somewhere in the downloads section of this site, there are complete skin tones for various creatures.

Grim Reaper pregnancies, the game would generate genetics; like other posters told.
I imagine it would be similar with the other universal characters.
except for the original PT NPC; already has all genetic data.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 29th Oct 2016 at 12:54 AM
There is a mannequin skin fix.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Scholar
#12 Old 29th Oct 2016 at 1:36 AM
I have had a few kids with Grim. Need to do the Therapist lol but if you age down a Servo to a teen or age up to an elder they will look human but still function as a Servo. You cannot change their clothes or hair, though.

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Forum Resident
#13 Old 29th Oct 2016 at 8:39 AM
I once saw a 26 babies challenge where every child was from a different NPC. They looked weird and there were some issues with college (turns out that the Therapist doesn't like to appear in the movie sequence when the teen leaves for college), but it seemed to work long enough for the challenge to end. Of course I have no idea how the neighborhood or the game took it.

Anyway, I took a look at my Servo's DNA in SimPE and it's definitely not normal. She has no genes for eye color (just a string of zeroes), so I don't know how the game would handle that. Might be blue eyes, might be something else.

The rest looks normal. Apparently she's a blonde with pale skin. I checked her creator's genes, but he's different.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 29th Oct 2016 at 7:54 PM
Poor, poor Wolfsbane.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#15 Old 29th Oct 2016 at 10:03 PM
I love how Wolfbane is coming up again.

~Call me Jo~