Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#26 Old 20th Jul 2012 at 11:47 AM
"What is this room for?"
"Who uses it?"
"Would they really have boxes of cereal on the floor under the computer where they put their feet?"
"What is the first thing I notice in the room and does it invite me in or is it a distraction?"
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#27 Old 20th Jul 2012 at 12:07 PM
The random bits of deco objects you have littering the floors kind of bother me a bit -- especially the smaller ones that seem like they'd be better suited on a surface of some kind -- and some of your rooms seem to have a little too much light. (Three lights so close to each other in a hallway is kind of overkill, I think.) I also think your landscaping is kind of overdone, and your rooms aren't very consistent; of the pictures you've shown us, some of them look too far too cramped, while others are way too expansive for their purpose. (The first bathroom, for example.)

But I like your color schemes -- they're very quirky and fun. And your rooms have a lot of personality to them. The house you put up first looks very cheerful and exciting; it makes me think it's a place where a lot of parties go on. (Actually, I bet it would make a great community lot. The exterior, anyway.) And I really love that balcony in the second picture post you put up; the decorating there is lovely! I really like the potted plant on the chair; that's a wonderful touch.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#28 Old 21st Jul 2012 at 3:15 AM
Thank you once again!

I can't arrange things logically maybe bacause I'm not good at math.

I had to learn from all of you. My house is always like a box.

Anyone knows how to set windows on floor and make the light from above come down the rooms?
This is an old house that I built

The room where the roof is above won't be lightened from above (

One more question, can you guys suggest me some sites for good CC :x?
Scholar
#29 Old 21st Jul 2012 at 7:58 AM
For those questions you might want to try the WCIF forum. Good CC is kind of relative to what you want exactly.
Theorist
#30 Old 21st Jul 2012 at 12:52 PM
For your CC problems, I just use as much Maxis stuff as I can really. I don't find much use in other things apart from recolours and extension sets, though I do love extracted clutter from other games.

For your lighting problems, you could maybe look at the Radiance mod to give a more realistic lighting, though I don't use it myself.

PS: How do your buildings look in Day-time mode? Using night to "turn on" the lights is good, but your decorating may be better appreciated in a normal day-to-day situ

BodyShopped /// ShoofleedSims
♦ // Jack.exe // ♦
/
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#31 Old 21st Jul 2012 at 2:31 PM
If I don't turn the lights on, it may seem dark

I was going to use that mod long ago but I'm afraid that it will harm the game. Will it?? :lovestruc
Instructor
#32 Old 21st Jul 2012 at 8:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by worry_faraway
If I don't turn the lights on, it may seem dark

I was going to use that mod long ago but I'm afraid that it will harm the game. Will it?? :lovestruc

Why would a modder make a mod - and hundreds of people download it and use it - and petchy recommend it if it would harm your game?

Be smart, read the directions, backup and see for yourself.

Liv Loves Simming: http://livlukas.tumblr.com

Liv Loves LiveSimming: http://www.livestream.com/livlukas

Theorist
#33 Old 22nd Jul 2012 at 11:03 AM
@Worry - The technique I use is to decorate and build in Day-time mode and then place the lights using Night-time. Then, when you switch back into Day-time, the lights are still on, WITH additional sunlight to boot. Thus, you'll get a nicer looking shot because it's more natural. In fact, I sometimes have the problem of my photos being /too/ bright, and so I delete or turn off a few of the lights to make it clear to the viewer.
Also, yes it is totally fine, just remember to back up your previous lighting mod/etc. and read the instructions! It's not your average mod but it does work lovely.

BodyShopped /// ShoofleedSims
♦ // Jack.exe // ♦
/
Test Subject
#34 Old 25th Oct 2016 at 3:20 PM
Default Amazing House
I think, this house is so great!
Link Ninja
#35 Old 25th Oct 2016 at 3:47 PM
This house was made the year I met my husband.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Mad Poster
#36 Old 25th Oct 2016 at 3:48 PM
I like enter building contests - not to win, to learn, and one really learns a lot by taking part.
Winning or losing should not be what a building contest is about - it has to be about fun, improving your skills and then even more fun.

Judges vary and seldom like the same things - I once got a "this seems to put hastily together"" for an entry ( I spent 4 days on that one) - which became, courtesy from the other judges, my highest score ever in a competition You cannot allow them to spoil your fun. Take note of what they say and use the remarks that will help you. Develop your own style

We are not all good at the same thing. Jo here is outstanding - and definitely not lowly - with her building skills, and also with decorating small lots and rooms, which is something I have not mastered. I think (or hope, maybe I am wrong ) my strong point is landscaping. Find your strongest points and concentrate to make those even better.

See the interesting competition on at the moment - urban revival (my signature).
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#37 Old 25th Oct 2016 at 4:11 PM
That house is mad but I stand by what I said, it looks like a lot of fun.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#38 Old 25th Oct 2016 at 10:53 PM
I am no where near to outstanding. Myself and CFE we have constant arguments. Take that airport cover, stupid thing went flat at one end so I had to rip it off and redo it. I can build straight forward things and I like to decorate and make things look pretty and yes I like small lots. The contest that is going on now, the one I am judging in; I am so glad NOT to be building. Large fancy structure like Gothic churches, really not my thing I would not know where to start! Petro you have really come a logn way from where you were a year back with your building, I think your lots in the contest are looking really good. It was not me that said "this seems to be put hastily together".

I have been toying with the idea of hosting a foundation contest. I took part in one some years back and it was a lot of fun. I like contests that are a bit more relaxed and no maths.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#39 Old 26th Oct 2016 at 12:36 AM
What's a foundation contest?

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#40 Old 26th Oct 2016 at 1:01 AM
A foundation shape is given and you build on it not taking or adding any away. http://modthesims.info/t/480537
The one I was in used a new foundation each round, although the one I linked to added to the foundation each round.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#41 Old 26th Oct 2016 at 11:25 AM
Thank you, Jo

Bring on that contest - it will be fun if you host it! You should not underestimate yourself - building skills are not necessarily the same as CFE skills, and your lots are pretty special.

The remark by the judge was in a previous contest I don't tend to take those things personally at all - every one has the right to their own taste and opinion. I wanted to say with that example that contestants should not be discouraged - because they should not!

And coming a long way - mainly because of taking part in building competitions I hope to go longer!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#42 Old 26th Oct 2016 at 12:03 PM
It's difficult judging because you want to be fair and thinking of a comment can be hard and trying to make it constructive but not hurt anyone's feelings even harder. I'm finding this contest with so few points to hand out difficult because even dropping one point makes a difference, and it isn't always because a persons lot is poor, just that another persons lot is that much better that you feel they deserve an extra point - iykwim. I try to be fair, but I often agonize over the points I am giving.

I think I will, once some time from this one has passed, I don't know that people like them back to back.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#43 Old 26th Oct 2016 at 6:13 PM Last edited by gazania : 27th Oct 2016 at 12:39 PM.
I like that contest ... and even I could give it a try! My chances of winning are 1% (and only if every other contestant drops out), but I learned so much from my attempt at Sim Pearls. as I have with the contests and challenges I have entered. I can always learn some more. I have so much to catch up on!

And I wouldn't mind a contest that focuses more on structure and playability. While my clutter skills have improved since my last contest attempt, I still need to clutter more.

Just that if you do a motel-building contest using a foundation, joandsarah77, I shall put the cheapest Halloween candy in your bag!

Anyway, I realize I'm adding to the thread-necroing here, but let me state first. I'm not a good architect. I know what works for me. And that is important consideration 1: What works for you?

Are you aiming for a particular period or building style? Are you building for a single Sim or more than one? Do you hope to be able to expand, or are you the type who moves Sims around once they outgrow the house? Do you like cute and cozy or wide-open spaces? Only the builder can decide what personally works.

What I like to do ... not necessary for anyone's approval, but i find I get better lots this way for my use ... is consideration #2: What is the story behind the lot? The OP's lot might be fine for those partying Sims, but it would not work as a house for a more-sedate couple. What is the personality of people do you imagine live on your lot, or who would be interested in it?

The most challenging example of this for me was my vacation hood. SPOILER time for the story;

Now here is where I get lazy. I look at building plans, or do a Google search (for instance, I wanted to build a couple of shipping-container dorms, and looked at real-life shipping container dorms for inspiration). I use the 1 square for every 3 feet rule, but am not stringent about it. If I want things larger or smaller, I do just that. My actual skills are still not expert at all (oh boy, aren't they!), so I build my house the best way I can.

I try to learn more techniques, and try houses using these techniques. Unfortunately, so many tutorials are either now non-existent, way out of date (EA added some extra features in later EPs) and/or don't have pictures. And while some of the resultant houses came out pretty well for someone at my skill level, I discovered that some really don't suit my building style, or I'm really messing up with them. And that's OK. Time for me to try something else!

For me, the point is, do I like the lot? Not anyone else ... ME. If that is the case, for me, the lot is a success.

I would love to start a thread one day about our favorite lots. Not necessarily the prettiest house. Not necessarily the house that required the most tricks. And boxy houses are welcome. Just ... the lot you use the most often and enjoy playing, and possibly put in your hoods again and again. It could be someone else's lot too, as long as you give proper credit. But I guess that would go in the building or picture forum, and someone might have started such a thread already. I'd have to look.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#44 Old 26th Oct 2016 at 6:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
A foundation shape is given and you build on it not taking or adding any away. http://modthesims.info/t/480537
The one I was in used a new foundation each round, although the one I linked to added to the foundation each round.

Sounds like fun.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#45 Old 26th Oct 2016 at 9:56 PM
@gazania I was thinking houses and community lots. Also something fun and not needing a huge amount of skills.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#46 Old 26th Oct 2016 at 10:12 PM
Jo - relax about the judging Have a fermented juice or something if you feel nervous!

Gazania - I like that idea a lot - favourite lots. Go for it
Mad Poster
#47 Old 28th Oct 2016 at 5:21 PM
I like the house by the OP It looks like a house where people (Sims?) live in, rather than a pic for a Garden and Home magazine, that's why (I think ) not everything is neatly packed into their proper places. And that garden - nothing wrong with it. Somebody likes to plant and likes to leave plants that decide to grow all by themselves there. Looks a bit like my garden where flowers grow where they should technically not and there are bunches of stupid ornaments people gave me over the years
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#48 Old 28th Oct 2016 at 6:45 PM
I agree JustPetro, it has an energy sometimes missing from more arranged lots. It's almost like someone has just left the room.

Mad Poster
#49 Old 29th Oct 2016 at 10:05 AM Last edited by gazania : 31st Oct 2016 at 10:22 PM.
... And I think the difference in opinion shows something here.

I like my lots, and use them often. My Sims like my lots. There are plenty of things for them to do on most of them, and usually, no stompy fits re routing. Every other Simmer in the real world liking my lots ... no. Not even remotely close. Not everyone is going to like someone's lots. Everyone has different preferences.

Did the OP ... who I guess entered that contest a long time ago ... like the lot? Did the person who requested the lot like it?That's the main thing.

One has to realize when entering a building contest, one is generally going against the more-experienced builders with well-known and well-liked lots. Builders who know the tricks of building, how to arrange clutter, and what tools can provide the best picture, such as custom skies or if allowed, photo-editing. I just hope I'm not in last place when I enter contests with more than ten people, and if I am, that the point difference between me and the last few candidates is very small. That's usually the best I can hope for!

Years ago, I uploaded a house on another site. It was ... well ... maybe not so horrible for a 2007 house, but looking at it now, I wonder what I was thinking. I remember thinking then how I could possibly do custom roofs. They looked too hard for me! The auto-roofs I used look clunky now. I didn't know about CFE, and didn't use move_objects all that much. And there was a somewhat-wonky porch wrapped around each of the two levels. I knew the effect I was going for. I wasn't even close. And my "Death the Kid" obsession with symmetry that comes out sometimes (Yes, that is a "Soul Eater" reference) is bugging me with this lot.

Yet some people liked it and downloaded it. Granted, it wasn't even one percent of the downloads of the most popular lot builders here (and justifiably so)! (I think mine was downloaded by about 20 people or so. In all fairness to my lot, though, this was not as popular a site, and it was posted deep in a thread that an OP deleted within a few months. So .... maaaaaaaaaaybe it would have had 40 downloads here in total over five years if the mods here took pity on me and approved it? At best?) But some people did think it suitable enough to download, and I'd like to think they enjoyed using it; perhaps after making some of the needed corrections. I personally played it extensively for many years in many hoods, even with the lot's flaws. It played fine, even if the building style was awkward. I'm even thinking of using the old floor plans to make a better version, knowing what I know now. Maybe I should post a thread like that one day, too, if it hasn't been done for a while: "Before and After Pictures of Your Rebuilt/Re-imagined Lots". I might want to shorten that title, though .

I'm sure if the OP had uploaded the lot somewhere, many people thought it was very nice, and some people would have downloaded it. It looks better than my one uploaded lot (cringes).

EDIT AGAIN ... I see the OP has long moved on to Sims 4, and hasn't posted for a while. But for giggles, if worry_faraway ever comes back or plays Sims 2 again, here is MY first upload. Prepare to be underwhelmed

I'd like to think that if you're with Sims 4, worry_faraway, you're building your lots there. If so, build on!

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Page 2 of 2