Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#51 Old 11th Oct 2017 at 10:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ShigemiNotoge
Snow & ice covered trees are the most beautiful sight in the effing world, are you kidding?
What messed up world are you living in where this is not absolutely beautiful?

Snow?
Expectation:

Reality:

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#52 Old 11th Oct 2017 at 10:28 AM
Oh, and of course:

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Theorist
#53 Old 11th Oct 2017 at 2:46 PM
Except we actually get those glazed trees...

One time the snow was so light and powdery here that the powder itself collected on the trees like that, even on the thinnest branches and everything looked so beautiful.

Also don't blame the snow for that car going off the road, that street is fucking plowed and clear. There's barely any snow on the ground, and no frost on the grass, so it can't have been cold enough for there even to have been ice on the road. Don't try and blame that accident on snow. That was because of an idiot. I blame the fog more than the snow for that one.

Also man, this person truly understands how to winter. This place is great.
Test Subject
#54 Old 11th Oct 2017 at 3:41 PM
Guns...
Mad Poster
#55 Old 11th Oct 2017 at 4:22 PM Last edited by GrijzePilion : 11th Oct 2017 at 4:38 PM.
Also don't blame the snow for that car going off the road, that street is fucking plowed and clear. There's barely any snow on the ground, and no frost on the grass, so it can't have been cold enough for there even to have been ice on the road. Don't try and blame that accident on snow. That was because of an idiot. I blame the fog more than the snow for that one.

I will. Shit's dangerous. Even the thinnest layer of snow or frost will cause countless accidents, crashes, delays and inconveniences. The entire road network has to be prepped daily by hundreds of special trucks and machines. It takes millions of kilos of salt to keep the roads safe, but even then as many as 500 accidents can take place on a single morning. And no one can move about at more than half their normal speed without getting injured, or worse. That includes cars, pedestrians, cyclists, and often the trains too. Snow and ice are very dangerous to trains. Sometimes they have to run empty trains all night long just to keep the whole network from freezing.

insert signature here
Field Researcher
#56 Old 11th Oct 2017 at 8:21 PM
Shimi, that picture looks like black ice heaven.
Personally, I enjoy and tolerate winter up until January first. Then the magic is gone, I am over feeling nostalgic and sentimental, and am tired of the endless slush and sand stained snow.
Where I live, winter lives on into May many years... halfway through February I am ready to lay down outside and die in the slush and road salt.

I am starting to picture you as Sebastian from Stardew Valley.
Theorist
#57 Old 11th Oct 2017 at 8:42 PM
I know how black ice works, what I was saying it they don''t look cold enough for black ice to have formed. i'm not an idiot. That last photo looks at LEAST +8 gedrees. Too warm for black ice.
Maybe weather and temperature works differently in other parts of the world. But the car in the accident clearly hit another car before spinning off the road, so there could have been a million factors besides ice.

Also, 500 accidents on one road? WTF are you guys smoking before work? S-N-O-W T-I-R-E-S. Do you guys not tune into the fucking radio for ice warnings? After the first accident, that should be the end of it. Because you should all a) have snow tires) and b) be fully aware of the ice and driving at a fucking reasonable speed for there being ice on the road. I have zero sympathy for people who clearly drive like idiots in a situation where they are supposed to be aware of danger.

I understand that accidents can happen in cold, icy weather, but when there are 500 accidents on the same road in the same day, it's clearly not ice ice that's entirely at fault.
Mad Poster
#58 Old 11th Oct 2017 at 8:57 PM
Also, 500 accidents on one road? WTF are you guys smoking before work? S-N-O-W-T-I-R-E-S. Do you guys not tune into the fucking radio for ice warnings? After the first accident, that should be the end of it. Because you should all a) have snow tires) and b) be fully aware of the ice and driving at a fucking reasonable speed for there being ice on the road. I have zero sympathy for people who clearly drive like idiots in a situation where they are supposed to be aware of danger.

Some people use winter tires, others can't bear the thought of spending money on them when they could just drive a little slower. Still, it's very easy to make mistakes on ice and people generally aren't used to driving in such weather. The Dutch are generally alright drivers, certainly more careful and considerate than Americans for example. And when I said nearly 500 accidents, that meant across a total carpool of 8,2 million and 139.000 kilometers of road. Not just one side road, that'd be a bit ridiculous.
Regardless, I'd much rather take the train...assuming it's running.

insert signature here
Theorist
#59 Old 11th Oct 2017 at 9:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
Some people use winter tires, others can't bear the thought of spending money on them when they could just drive a little slower.
Then they deserve to get into the accents they get into. It's not a matter of "driving slower." as soon as you put weight on ice, at any speed, you can slip. That's like going to an ice rink and thinking you won't slip in your sneakers if you walk really, really slowly. Then trying to blame the ice for being slippery.
Still, it's very easy to make mistakes on ice and people generally aren't used to driving in such weather.
If it's your climate you should be used to driving in it. Here there are indeed many idiots who are somehow shocked that we get snow every winter and those are the ones getting into accidents. Most of those idiots though are the government having to deal with the first snow removal of the season to be honest! xD. But if it were entirely the ice's fault, surely my family at some point in the 28 years I've been alive, or the 50 some years my parents have would have experienced at LEAST one ice related accident in their lives...
Field Researcher
#60 Old 11th Oct 2017 at 9:06 PM
I hear you, but black ice isn't always formed from freezing rains ect. Sometimes, black ice is ice that is melting due to unseasonably warm weather or rains... We get this a lot in November and March in my area of Canada. No need to be so angry?

Someone I knew in high school died from black ice in that kind of weather. Boyfriend didn't expect there to still be ice at the bottom of a hill in the area. It was night, went off the road. End of story for her.

EDIT: But people really ought to know to drive better in our weather, snow tires should be mandatory. People new to Canada, in my old city, quite literally made winter a death trap for driving. It's frightening.
Mad Poster
#61 Old 11th Oct 2017 at 9:11 PM
That's like going to an ice rink and thinking you won't slip in your sneakers if you walk really, really slowly.

I don't think you would. If you stand firmly and apply enough pressure to the ice, you will not slip.
But I'm not sure what to think of the icy roads. I'm not a driver myself, I wouldn't know. But what I've been able to find through Google-fu is that there's plenty of accidents involving newer and more expensive cars, which are generally more likely to be equipped for the winter and thus harder to crash. So if it affects everyone equally, and I believe it more or less does, maybe it IS the ice's fault.

insert signature here
Theorist
#62 Old 11th Oct 2017 at 9:13 PM
I don't think you would. If you stand firmly and apply enough pressure to the ice, you will not slip.

But a car isn't standing firmly... it's moving... You do know how ice works, right? If you are walking across a sheet of ice, and step down harder, you will be more likely to slip. if you do not have proper winter treads than the person next to you stepping lightly. Maybe it really just is because people in other places genuinely don't know what ice is or how it works, wow. o.o

Quote: Originally posted by grindingteeth
I hear you, but black ice isn't always formed from freezing rains ect. Sometimes, black ice is ice that is melting due to unseasonably warm weather or rains... We get this a lot in November and March in my area of Canada. No need to be so angry?

Someone I knew in high school died from black ice in that kind of weather. Boyfriend didn't expect there to still be ice at the bottom of a hill in the area. It was night, went off the road. End of story for her.

I'm very sorry that happened to your friend. But I'm still not going to sit here and let someone tell me I'm an idiot for liking winter just because people where they're from don't know what ice is despite the fact that it happens every single winter. Also telling me that's the reason cold is inferior to the heat, but you fail to recognise the thousands of people who die each year from heat exhaustion in warmer climates...

I'm sorry for getting more upset than I probably should have. But I shouldn't have to fucking justify liking one thing over another.

I just want some fucking snow in my sims game... I want my Sims to have Christmas, and NOT have to pretend they're form Australia...
Mad Poster
#63 Old 11th Oct 2017 at 9:26 PM
SimGuruSarah confirmed that there are no plans for a University expansion.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Field Researcher
#64 Old 11th Oct 2017 at 9:37 PM Last edited by grindingteeth : 11th Oct 2017 at 9:56 PM.
I feel that should just read "SimGuruSarah confirms they have no plans to add gameplay to the Sims 4".

sigh.
Maybe TS4 is closer to the end of its lifecycle than we think. That or they really have some 'super extra special plans coming down the pipeline'.

Didn't mean to make you feel like you had to justify your love of winter Shimi, I too think it has its magic. I just get tired of it halfway through because I hate being wet and cold, and the lack of sun that sets in around February makes me feel like I might actually die.

I also get tired of summer heat. I like autumn the best, but it's too brief here.
Mad Poster
#65 Old 11th Oct 2017 at 9:38 PM
The Dutch are generally alright drivers, certainly more careful and considerate than Americans for example.

Have you lived in America ever?
Mad Poster
#66 Old 11th Oct 2017 at 9:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
Have you lived in America ever?

No.
Maybe it really just is because people in other places genuinely don't know what ice is or how it works, wow. o.o

I don't know where you live but over here, snow and ice are not yearly occurences. We get a proper wintery winter once every three years, at most.

insert signature here
Scholar
#67 Old 11th Oct 2017 at 9:47 PM
Honestly I found University 2 sooooo boring? Not that I would be against them releasing it. I don't have to buy it.

I'm from western Canada. We usually have very mild winters with little to no snow. Last winter, we had serious snowfall, which I did not enjoy. Sure, it looked really beautiful, but it was hazardous as hell. Some good friends of ours were in a serious multi-car accident and suffered serious injuries. I had a hell of a bad time navigating all of the slush and ice, I have a very delicate knee aggravated by hypermobility and past injuries, I was terrified of reinjuring myself, so I heartily concur that snow is dangerous af.

But there is nothing wrong with loving snow either. (I hate snow but I STILL want it in my game!)

I'm sorry for getting more upset than I probably should have. But I shouldn't have to fucking justify liking one thing over another.

I agree! Snow and extreme heat are equally dangerous. It's funny to me how damn defensive people get over weather preferences. And I don't mean YOU, shimegi, I mean literally everyone I know and everyone else on earth.
Theorist
#68 Old 11th Oct 2017 at 9:55 PM
Didn't mean to make you feel like you had to justify your love of winter Shimi, I too think it has its magic. I just get tired of it halfway through because I hate being wet and cold, and the lack of sun that sets in around February makes me feel like I might actually die. .

I actively avoid sun all year round so I don't get that feeling at all. If anything I'm relieved by February because it's easier to avoid! Though I was *born* in February so idk if that has anything to do with it,

Quote: Originally posted by spidergirl79
I agree! Snow and extreme heat are equally dangerous. It's funny to me how damn defensive people get over weather preferences. And I don't mean YOU, shimegi, I mean literally everyone I know and everyone else on earth.

I feel like Shimegi is in direct response to me calling you Spooder xD
Field Researcher
#69 Old 11th Oct 2017 at 10:25 PM
Though I was *born* in February so idk if that has anything to do with it,

Don't think so, only because I am a Groundhog Day child myself, and February might as well not come at all for all that I loathe it.
I am a night owl, so you'd think I wouldn't care one way or another about the sun, but no; Probably because my hours are usually 10:30/11am to 4/4:30am. I need all the things: Perfect autumn weather, brisk breeze, sunny days and crisp, dark nights.

minimally demanding, I assure you.
Scholar
#70 Old 11th Oct 2017 at 11:38 PM
Shimi, that picture looks like black ice heaven.
Personally, I enjoy and tolerate winter up until January first. Then the magic is gone, I am over feeling nostalgic and sentimental, and am tired of the endless slush and sand stained snow.
Where I live, winter lives on into May many years... halfway through February I am ready to lay down outside and die in the slush and road salt.

I am starting to picture you as Sebastian from Stardew Valley.

You should come live in Eastern Oklahoma. In the last few years if we haven't had a winter storm by January, we aren't seeing any. Last year we had a dusting in early January, and never saw any snow ever again. It was ridiculously mild for the rest of the 'winter' with the temperatures hitting the 70s regularly every single week.

It's come to the point where I get depressed coming out of December. Not because Christmas and all of the festivities are over, but because Spring is fast approaching and already beginning to take over.

As a lover of winter, I'm feeling very robbed. Imagine if we flipped the scenario and if all of summer happened in June, and by July the hot days were few and far in between and it was beginning to get chilly. Imagine how the people where I live would react then? It would be the end of the world for them... But 70s and 80s in January, bugs returning, no one even cares. (I had to turn on the air conditioner multiple times last winter)

I just want winter to be winter. To be chilly/cold. To be able to sleep under the covers, to be able to go outside wearing layers. To not have to sweat walking to classes. To not have to deal with bugs flying in my face. But I guess it's just too much to ask for anymore.

♫ Keeping this here until EA gives us a proper playable woodwind/brass instrument ♫
For now, though, my decorative Bassoon conversion for TS4. =)
Mad Poster
#71 Old 11th Oct 2017 at 11:44 PM
I think it's about time we start abolishing the concept of seasons because they've been getting less and less predictable over the years. If it goes on like that we'll have snowfall in July and heatwaves in January in ten years' time. Not to mention constant storms and perhaps even hurricanes and floods, which are both very rare in Europe.

insert signature here
Scholar
#72 Old 12th Oct 2017 at 12:30 AM
I actively avoid sun all year round so I don't get that feeling at all. If anything I'm relieved by February because it's easier to avoid! Though I was *born* in February so idk if that has anything to do with it,

I feel like Shimegi is in direct response to me calling you Spooder xD

AHAH no I just have this thing where I accidentally switch letters around in my head, that wasn't on purpose.
Mad Poster
#73 Old 12th Oct 2017 at 3:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by spidergirl79
Honestly I found University 2 sooooo boring? Not that I would be against them releasing it. I don't have to buy it.

University Life was fun (to me), but there’s no reason they can’t enhance he formula. In TS2, you left the lot for a few hours and did what you wanted afterwards, but to get good grades, you were basically studying and writing a paper for the duration. TS3 was a little more lenient so you could actually enjoy the content (which there was a lot of). More interactive, open ended, freeform classes would have helped TS3 tremendously, but rabbit holes were a crutch.

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Theorist
#74 Old 12th Oct 2017 at 4:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by matrix54
University Life was fun (to me), but there’s no reason they can’t enhance he formula.

There is absolutely a reason they can't enhance the formula. The reason is this is Sims 4.
Mad Poster
#75 Old 12th Oct 2017 at 10:53 AM
Agreed. I can't see it happening that the University pack ends up being as good as the previous ones. They'll fuck it up by adding in unnecessary extra stuff and taking away control from the player.

insert signature here
Page 3 of 4