Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th May 2012 at 3:48 AM
Default In What Style Do You Type?
Today at school, we were forced to play this "Tux Typing" game in Technology class. Our teacher said that if it wasn't easy for us, then we didn't know how to type, basically. It consisted of 8 levels with increasing difficulty as we got higher up for each level.

The goal was to get 30 words per minute and to get better at using all of our fingers for typing on a keyboard.

Each level requires you to use certain fingers; your pinky finger should be on the 'a' key, the next one on the 's' key, your middle on the 'd' key, and so on. My teacher said it was against the rules to "hunt and peck" on the keyboard, and that we needed to be using ALL of our fingers, which was effing difficult.

I never knew that there was a right/wrong way to type, before. All these years of owning a computer, I've learned to sort of "sense" where the letters are and type without looking at the keyboard, but I only use my middle and index fingers to do it, and the side of my hand for the space bar. I never knew people used their pinkies to type...

So, do you hunt and peck or do you do it the "professional way"?

My male Sims are...Simulicious!
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 30th May 2012 at 4:12 AM Last edited by paksetti : 30th May 2012 at 4:40 AM.
I use my whole hands. It's supposed to be faster to use your whole hands to type, which is the way I was taught in school. But, "qwerty" Keyboards are actually innefficient. The letters are placed where they are to slow people down, because typing too fast on an old typwriter made it jam, and it just kinda stuck.

(God, being aware of my typing throws off my rhythm)

edit: ohohoho, jam-stuck, I slay me.

"You're born naked, and everything else is drag."
dA
Last.fm
tumblr
Field Researcher
#3 Old 30th May 2012 at 4:14 AM
I don't even really pay attention to how I type. However, right now I'm using all of my fingers to type except for my left pinky. I use my right pinky for the right shift key and the rest (except for my left pinky) for letters. I use my right pointer finger for the space bar. I still type pretty fast, although I've never timed myself.

I think typing is like writing. There may be a "standard way", but not everyone can use that way.

paksetti: The irony is the typewriters just learned to type with the new keyboards and began jamming the typewriters anyway (correct me if I'm wrong). I still wonder why they never changed the keyboards back.

P.S. I'm a field researcher now! I'm gonna research some cute bunnies

Common sense is one of nature's great ironies... It turns out common sense isn't so common.

Please see my new journal for news on my mods as well as requests.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 30th May 2012 at 4:32 AM
I use all my fingers except for my left thumb because I crushed it in an accident and has no feeling in it. I just use my right thumb to do so.

I type quick fast and in a very professional manner, such as this.

Life Stage: Teen Traits: Hopeless Romantic, Computer Whiz, Couch Potato, Shy Partner: Ted
School: High School Career: Writing; Fan Fiction Drafter Miscellaneous: Rich; Scorpio
Theorist
#5 Old 30th May 2012 at 4:44 AM
For me it is the typewriter way, with all fingers.

Common words such as

the
and
what
where
etc.

just fly through as if one stroke. The same when I have a word such as revolution when I get to the tion part. But I'm very bad with the number keys because it is such a stretch and I'm always sure I'm not reaching far enough. Also because my lessons never involved the number keys. It was always asdf jkl; etc.

I hope you continue to learn to type, because it is essential and there is just no comparison of the traditional way and searching and pecking. My grandmother, it's really sad, she takes a hearbreaking hour to type a one paragraph email. Then she looks in her new mail and there is more mail from relatives that she must answer. That's why there is no god.

Btw, if you do want to type, Type Hard <- guitar hero for typing
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#6 Old 30th May 2012 at 12:57 PM
I learnt to type properly when I was 18 - a long time ago now. I never ever ever wanted to work as an office worker or secretary and I don't now though I did for quite a while in my 20s. I have to say though, it's the one skill I have that I have used in EVERY SINGLE JOB I have ever done. I've never regretted learning. I can trype quite fast now (about 60 wpm) but at one time I worked in publishing (newspapers and magazines) and in that work I got up to about 100 wpm. Pretty fast, I guess. I found learning to type easy but then I'm a musician (pianist) and that sort of stuff isn't hard for me. It's why I can still play fast-paced computer games at my supposedly advanced age (hah!).

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#7 Old 30th May 2012 at 2:11 PM
I was sort of taught to touch-type properly, when I was about 13 I guess. I had a similar game - Lion King themed, never saw the Lion King but will always associate the sound of a warthog farting with having mistyped something. I then spent about five years doing most of my typing with one hand, since I needed the other hand on my mouse to control my MMO avatar's movement, which ruined all that two-handed touch-typing .

I do touch-type now, but not the "proper" way. I use all of my fingers, though little fingers less than the others, and (finally) both hands again; but I don't use the proper starting positions. Given that I type quickly and accurately, though, I figure the specifics don't matter so much.

Learning to touch-type the proper way is certainly a useful thing. You can get to good typing proficiency just through practise, without using any formal technique, like I did; but it takes a long time.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Scholar
#8 Old 30th May 2012 at 2:16 PM
Im tyupingf flkawesssly, see?1

P.S.: Never mind. ._. I type like normal typer usually do. (?)

Hey there! :)
Field Researcher
#9 Old 30th May 2012 at 9:39 PM
I type really fast, but I rarely use thmbs and almost never small fingers. I also never look at the screen while I ma typing, as I have bad sight, and I can't see the keyboard and the screen at the same time, so I type first, and then check my text, lol, I know, not a normal way, but I can't do it any other way. So I usually end up with a huge text typed really quickly, but with many typose, and I coorect them then (well, sometimes I forget to do that when on forums or chats). I translate 10 or more pages a day this way...
Instructor
#10 Old 31st May 2012 at 1:12 AM
I use mostly just my thumb on the spacebar, and the rest I just use my pointer finger and middle finger, OCCASIONALLY ring finger. I kind of memorize where the keys are in this way even though my hands are not actually typing ON the keyboard using all my fingers in the proper placement. I just float above and use only my strongest fingers I tried to learn the real way, but I was like whaaat? People ACTUALLY stretch their pinky all the way across just to hit the little key instead of just lifting our hand up? Pffft, RIDICULOUS!

♫ She's got sunset on her breath, I inhaled just a little bit now I got no fear of death ♫
Theorist
#11 Old 31st May 2012 at 1:25 AM
I tell my servants what to type and they press buttons for words to come out of the magic box. They know to do good job, or else their relatives in other countries will suffer unfortunate ends.

PLEASE HELP US. HE IS SO STRONG. HE HURTS US WITH HIS HANDS. SO EVIL. SOVERYEVILLLLL
Undead Molten Llama
#12 Old 31st May 2012 at 1:31 AM
I type really fast (about 70 WPM) but not entirely properly. *shrugs* It works for me. Although I get messed up by some keys on my laptop here, which randomly decide not to work very well. ATM, "o," "i" and "h" are being finicky. So if my "the"s come out as "he"s, I apologize.

And I agree with maxon; being a pianist helps. (I didn't know you were one, maxon. Cool! )

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Scholar
#13 Old 31st May 2012 at 3:29 AM
hahaha, you said pianist.

hehehe penist.

dA
Last.fm
tumblr
Field Researcher
#14 Old 31st May 2012 at 3:32 AM
I use my whole hand you and I watch the screen while I type.
This was typed entirely with my eyes closed.

American Rocker Bomb, similar to an Irish car bomb, take a shot glass and fill it with five hour energy, then take a pint glass and fill it with your choice of energy drink. Drop in the shot glass and chug, then wait for SVT to set in.
Scholar
#15 Old 31st May 2012 at 3:43 AM
I use my index fingers and middle fingers to type. When I use the backspace or shift buttons, I usually use my ring fingers or my pinkie, but never both (the memories ). I have basically learned to sense which letter is where on the keyboard, and can type in near darkness if I have to. Some may call this an ineffective way of typing, but I average about 30 words per minute. In my opinion, there is no right or wrong way to type (unless you can't spell or use spell check properly). You use what your comfortable with.

EDIT: The 30 words per minute is only because I'm OCD enough that I have to go back and fix whatever mistakes I made, or it drives me insane.

THE CAT HAIR WIZARD
Instructor
#16 Old 31st May 2012 at 10:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Undercovers_Agent
I use my whole hand you and I watch the screen while I type.
This was typed entirely with my eyes closed.

I'm impressed. I don't even hit the right button with open eyes.
Scholar
#17 Old 31st May 2012 at 6:38 PM
this whole thing was typed with my ryrd clodrf.

I suppose I can't types as well with my eues closed,

Hey! that second line wsn't so d!

This is stupid, I need to ay least look at the sxreen.

dA
Last.fm
tumblr
Alchemist
#18 Old 31st May 2012 at 6:53 PM
WHen I;m nor ;ookimg ar my keuboeard I write like thism yeah I suck at writing wuthout looking at my keyvoead. (Hey some words were good!)

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#19 Old 31st May 2012 at 7:00 PM
I use all my fingers to type, though I never had the patience to learn how to do it the proper way. I also used to have a keyboard that, quite soon after I bought it, the letters and numbers indicating what but button was what got erased and I couldn't be bothered to buy a new one so, because of that, now I can actually type by looking at the screen, not the keyboard.
Field Researcher
#20 Old 31st May 2012 at 7:34 PM
Normally, I do type with my whole hand (pinkies included), and while looking at the keyboard. I think my positioning is a bit off compared to what it's supposed to be, but it gets the job done!

(This line is being typed with me looking away from my computer-- I'll probably have some mistakes! I think I know where the kets are for the most part, bur once I get off-track I have trouble getting back into the rhythm.)

"I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right."
-Markus Zusak, The Book Thief

Yearbook
Scholar
#21 Old 31st May 2012 at 7:41 PM
Proffessional typist.
I took a class in typing back in 1990. It was a pain in the a**, but as it turned out I can type around 90 to 100 words per minute [without looking at the keyboard]. I am not boasting, but the teacher is most likely right on this one.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 31st May 2012 at 8:57 PM
"Touch typing" or something like that.

Because the earth is standing still, and the truth becomes a lie
A choice profound is bittersweet, no one hears Cassandra Goth cry

Interstellar Traveler
#23 Old 31st May 2012 at 9:18 PM
I use all of my fingers or AKA the proper way that I learned in Computing & Technology Ed. I never thought it was really necessary until I began using the internet persistently.. and when I started writing, it came in handy because you can type things alot faster and not have to look down at the keyboard (well..sometimes you do if you make a mistake).
But whenever I see people typing with one finger.. it drives me insane!

Formally SeeMyu | Retired Mod
Field Researcher
#24 Old 31st May 2012 at 10:24 PM
I personally taught myself how to use the keyboard. I didn't have computers in school until high school. I remember learning to type with C:\edline.exe

American Rocker Bomb, similar to an Irish car bomb, take a shot glass and fill it with five hour energy, then take a pint glass and fill it with your choice of energy drink. Drop in the shot glass and chug, then wait for SVT to set in.
Lab Assistant
#25 Old 1st Jun 2012 at 10:42 AM
I type with just a few fingers: My right pointing finger hits the right side of the keyboard + space bar, and my left pointing finger and 'rude finger' hit the left side of the keyboard. My right pointing finger, again hits full stops, commas, etc. My left pointing finger hits caps, shift, tab etc.
I type looking at the screen and occasionally look at the keyboard.
Page 1 of 2