Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Mar 2016 at 10:43 PM Last edited by chabely : 28th Mar 2016 at 11:17 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Late Night, Showtime
"Unofficial game modification" Error. Is uninstalling my last resort..?
I know there is a lot of info on the web about this problem and I believe I have tried just about everything! I have been playing the Sims 3 on and off for almost 6 years with plenty of mods and never had a problem until recently. I have almost always used Awesomemod, half of Twallan's mods, and various other core and xml mods I've found on this site. Usually use the Dashboard to check for corrupted mods and whatnot as well. I have only have ever had the Sims 3 base game, Late Night, World Adventures, and Showtime installed (via discs and not through origin).

The problem started around a week ago when I decided to purchase Sims 3 Seasons as a download through Origin... I did the usual of making sure I move my Mods folder to the desktop and deleting cache files. Origin would not let me download Seasons unless I patched up to 1.69, so I continued the installation process and did so. Once everything was finished and the EP seemed to be installed, i moved everything back to where it was supposed to be and proceeded to start the game via the launcher.

I then get a message from Awesomemod saying "Noncritical core mismatch! etc etc" while the game is loading, so I figure it must be a recent core mod I installed before installing seasons that is conflicting with Awesomemod. I check for incompatibility with Dashboard and everything seems fine. Double checked to make sure all mods are updated/compatible with current patch. Then proceed to do the method of removing 25% of mods at a time and starting the game to see if the error goes away. Ended up closing in on a mod that I thought was the problem and deleting it.

I then try restarting the game and a new error message occurs: the dreaded "It looks like you have an unofficial game modification installed..." right when starting the game up, so I remove my entire mods folder to the desktop and try starting up the game again. The error continues. In my panic, I system restored my computer to before I installed Seasons. Not sure if this made the problem worse, but now the game is back to patch 1.67 and Seasons is no longer installed. Regardless, I continued to get the error message upon startup!

Today I tried removing all mods again, ignoring the issue and pressing "continue" and the screen went black during loading.. I also renamed my entire Sims 3 Folder in the Documents/Electronic Arts folder to "Sims 3 Backup" so that the game makes a fresh one upon start up and the error persists.. Then I tried Super Patcher and still no fix. Really at a loss as to what the problem is. I checked Twallan's Common Issues page and it basically says my game is busted if I get this error.

I really don't want to lose 6 years worth of sims, relationships, and story progression... Is there anything else I can do? It seems like the mods aren't the problem since the error happened even without them in the user files folder. Plus the same mods worked fine even before I tried to install the stupid Seasons EP! So if I make a copy of my Electronic Arts/Documents/Sims 3 folder, move it to the desktop, uninstall and reinstall everything, and then move the folder back, will it fix anything? I have a backup of my Sunset Valley save from right before I installed Seasons. Is there anything I can do with that? Will it even make a difference since I saved the game with mods?

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.. I'm at the point where I would even pay Geek Squad to fix this if they specialized at fixing games lol Thank you so much in advance.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 28th Mar 2016 at 11:08 PM
When you have "It looks like you have an unofficial game modification installed..." message, usually is because of Awesome Mod, your current patch is 1.69 and the latest Awesome Mod was 1.67 as far as I know. Try to temporarily remove your Awesome Mod to test run your game..

Quote: Originally posted by chabely
So if I make a copy of my Electronic Arts/Documents/Sims 3 folder, move it to the desktop, uninstall and reinstall everything, and then move the folder back, will it fix anything?

If you want to try and reinstalling the game, try running the game without any mod first after reinstalling your game, after it runs then try with them back in your mods folder.

PS: Don't forget to clean up your windows registry when you do reinstalling TS3 so you'd have a fresh new TS3 clean installation before patching it to 1.67 again.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Mar 2016 at 11:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by PapaEmy
When you have "It looks like you have an unofficial game modification installed..." message, usually is because of Awesome Mod, your current patch is 1.69 and the latest Awesome Mod was 1.67 as far as I know. Try to temporarily remove your Awesome Mod to test run your game..

If you want to try and reinstalling the game, try running the game without any mod first after reinstalling your game, after it runs then try with them back in your mods folder.
PS: Don't forget to clean up your windows registry when you do reinstalling TS3 so you'd have a fresh new TS3 clean installation before patching it to 1.67 again.

I did, I removed the entire mods folder and ran the game. The "unofficial game mod" error still popped up. I even renamed the Sims 3 folder so that the game made a fresh one with no mods at all or any CC, and I am still getting the error.
Instructor
#4 Old 28th Mar 2016 at 11:50 PM
I did, I removed the entire mods folder and ran the game. The "unofficial game mod" error still popped up. I even renamed the Sims 3 folder so that the game made a fresh one with no mods at all or any CC, and I am still getting the error.

This is why I suggested you clean up your windows registry, only do the clean up after you uninstalled the game completely, clean up your windows registry (just remove/delete everything related to Electronic Arts>>TheSims3, just the ones related to TS3 in the registry editor), so you'll wiped out all the remaining 1.69 before reinstalling a new fresh one, restart your PC then start the new TS3 installation, patch it back to 1.67, test run your game, if it's good then moved back all your mods to where it belongs
Instructor
#5 Old 29th Mar 2016 at 12:35 AM
Wait a minute..

The error continues. In my panic, I system restored my computer to before I installed Seasons. Not sure if this made the problem worse, but now the game is back to patch 1.67 and Seasons is no longer installed. Regardless, I continued to get the error message upon startup!

Did you just restored your computer from your backup? I mean all of it including your windows? If it so it shouldn't have the same error continue, unless your Awesome Mod is not updated to 1.67.

But if you mean with restoring your computer is only about you uninstalling and reinstalling TS3 then yes, you should check your windows registry, if there's anything left related to TS3 when you already removed TS3 completely, then this is the one needs to be clean up from your windows registry before reinstalling fresh new TS3.