Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Nov 2014 at 4:48 AM Last edited by FineFeatheredFop : 6th Dec 2014 at 12:24 AM. Reason: Smiley fail XD; marking as solved; memory fail-3Gs, not 2

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time
Default How Much do I Suck?- Win7 Edition (Recs Wanted)
NOTE TO ANYONE ELSE WITH THIS QUESTION: Yes, Windows 7 does in fact require 3GHz processing power to avoid destroying your hard drive.

Naturally, since TS2 came out during the yore of Vista, that's where the recommendations stop. Unfortunately, I'm running 7. I know that just because they SAY I can run it doesn't actually mean I can run it, and recently (yesterday in fact) I started having glitches with Explorer (it doesn't update properly after doing anything to the desktop- I have to go into Recycle Bin to see the changes I made to it; adding files/folders, deleting them, renaming them, etc), and that can indicate issues (I hope not- I just got this thing D: ). So I have come to humbly ask you if my comp is up to snuff.

(Just in case it doesn't show up for some reason)
EPs: All
SPs: FFS, Teen Style, Kitchen and Bath, Mansion and Garden (I think that's all)

Specs:
Acer Aspire 5253 Laptop (so many mistyped keys- miss my tower SOOO much D'X)
Win 7 Home Premium 64 Bit, 6.1 Build 6701 (I want XP back D:< ITS INTUITIVE THEY SAID)
AMD C-50 Processor (2 CPUs) ~1.0GHz (Can You Run It said something about "performance up to 1.4GHz"???)
4096MB RAM (That's 2Gb, right?)
AMD Raedeon HD 6250 Graphics

If I'm not mistaken, Can You Run It said my RAM was the only thing that missed. I passed all the other stuff something like 53/47 and failed RAM by like 56/44 (sorry if my math is off; dyscalculic).

I don't know what "Increase Awesomeness" does, but I clicked it. Also, any help about the Explorer thing is appreciated. I haven't played since I noticed it, and I'm really hoping that's not it. What does it mean, 2 CPUs?! :O
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 26th Nov 2014 at 4:58 AM
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Nov 2014 at 5:33 AM Last edited by FineFeatheredFop : 26th Nov 2014 at 5:34 AM. Reason: Grammar fail-"either" when I meant "too"
Tried to reply and got booted, but THANKS THIS IS GRATE. Good thing I don't care what my game looks like, then.

One thing I forgot to ask is "Is Windows 7 a processor hog like Vista?". I'm mostly concerned about it destroying the hard drive (although graphics are nice, too- help you see what you're doing and all...). I already killed my tower, I don't want to kill the laptop too (mostly because my mother would kill me ). But surely it's not destroying it already since it far surpasses my tower? It took a full install of TS2 (heavily modded with tonnes of CC) MONTHS to finally work the tower to where I was afraid to even breathe on it (OH GOD I'M SO SORRY I DIDN'T KNOW). Then again, what's left of my tower still runs XP and can't be upgraded (period. I would have to rebuild another whole computer in the tower's case to "upgrade" it).
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#4 Old 26th Nov 2014 at 7:18 AM
Windows 7 is a hog. My daughters computer played Sims 2 okay on XP but I can't install any more than 2 EP's on it now. It's an old dinosaur 2GB of Ram, so yours may be of the same age. We just need the money to upgrade it. I do think Windows 7 is a big improvement on Vista, I consider that to be the worst-well apart from Windows 8 which I have avoided. Many of us here play Sims 2 on Windows 7, you probably just need a few things upgrading.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Inventor
#5 Old 26th Nov 2014 at 8:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by FineFeatheredFop
4096MB RAM (That's 2Gb, right?)

No, it's 4 GB. One gig is 1024 MB.

2 cpu's. Isn't that the same as having a dual cpu motherboard?
Mad Poster
#6 Old 26th Nov 2014 at 2:38 PM
No its not dual cpu motherboard it just 2 cores in the cpu is all.

For Apartment Life/Mansion & Garden the min. system requirements 1.8Ghz cpu for XP and for Vista it says 2.4Ghz on the cpu. (Vista = Windows 7 on requirements.)
And yours say 1Ghz.

One way or another you are putting a very big strain on your laptop and you could be burning it up by playing Sims 2.

All my Beginning Hoods here at MTS. http://www.modthesims.info/member.php?u=7749491
All my Beginning Hoods as Shopping Districts plus Old Town. http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=523417
MooVille, a tribute to Mootilda and her fabulous lots http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=534158
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 26th Nov 2014 at 9:01 PM
Sorry I thought you had a desk top. If it's lap top then it's probably had it.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 27th Nov 2014 at 4:13 AM Last edited by FineFeatheredFop : 27th Nov 2014 at 4:27 AM. Reason: forgot something; edit 2- forgot more stuff
Default WHYYYYYY? Why do bad things happen to good people?
HAET RAEG and BORK made of SUCK and FAIL! D':< That's the only reason I wanted this stupid thing in the first place! Graar (No money wasted on my end LOL- it's my mother's and apparently, I'm only borrowing it even though I was told she was giving it to me). Oooh, this really burns my biscuits. Can NOT catch a break with machines. Good thing I caught it early and stopped, then. Having desktop-related glitches, but everything else is fine (no other signs of hard drive damage like slow menus and all that). Geez, I got to play only about 2 days! Ugh, at least I got a lot accomplished... If I installed XP (given that I was daring enough), would I be able to play it then without further damaging anything? On top of 7, I mean. As soon as I learn how to do that. (So I guess what I'm asking is if I install XP on top of Windows 7, would playing it on Windows XP still damage it while Windows 7 was still installed? Assuming I can even do that in the first place *does not get his hopes up*?) Lot of good that second core is doing me, darn it. (That's what I thought it meant, but then the way it was phrased, I couldn't be sure.) Seeing as how base game says Vista (and therefore 7) needs twice the base specs, that means uninstalling EPs and SPs to lighten the load is out of the question since I suck at base game in and of itself?

Shouldn't there be somewhere public where it says "Windows 7 requirements are equal to Vista requirements"? Admittedly, it wouldn't have helped me any because I forget to check the requirements (I'm a bad teddy, I know), but hopefully others can learn from my mistake.

Mirjampennig, A) Sorry if I spelled your name wrong; edit post doesn't show previous ones (at least, it's not right now) and B) dyscalculia strikes again. Well, at least I knew 1024 was an important number (a byte is 64 bits and multiplication leads you to 1024= 1 GB. *proud of self for knowing mathematical concept*). How I got to "2" is the mystery. Brain, you do the weirdest things.

And Jo, it wouldn't have mattered anyways- my desktop was one of those "one time use only" deals where they couldn't be upgraded when they were NEW. Thanks, cousin Morty (name changed to protect the guilty). :eyeroll: Some favor he did me.
Theorist
#9 Old 27th Nov 2014 at 4:31 AM
Quote: Originally posted by FineFeatheredFop
Also, any help about the Explorer thing is appreciated.

Drop it and use Firefox.
I just got Win7 several days ago and I only used IE to do two things - download an antivirus program first, then download Firefox. And IE gave me problems doing even that.
After that, bye-bye IE.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 27th Nov 2014 at 9:35 PM
At first find additional cooler for your laptop. Set it under your laptop ASAP. It will help you not to burn down it so fast. Second core is helping a little, maybe from 1,0GHz to 1,4GHz only. Anyway AL and M&G want more. Think about uninstalling them. Requirements you can see at boxes of your games.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 29th Nov 2014 at 5:04 AM
Sorry for terseness; internet being stupid GOTTA GO FAST

@ScaryRob- Explorer.exe, not Internet Exploder. Tried them; the whole "memory leak" fiasco a few years ago and they blamed it on Microsoft when I know at least on my end it wasn't because I was running XP that hadn't been updated since 2012. Dropped them then (don't handle people that blame their problems on others well). Chrome too slow; tried several others and they all sucked so I'm back to Intarwebz Exploiter, much as I hate it.

@Annaminna- Base game requires 3 GHz itself (I don't make even half that with a second core), so uninstalling AL & MG aren't going to make a difference, and I can't kill this one since it's not officially mine (yet), so no TS2 for me (yet). If it helps any, it doesn't run hot even when I play. It has amazing cooling, I'll give it that. Cool as a cucumber. (Or is that secretly bad?) I mean, it's warm now, but not running hot. I have very sensitive skin and start to burn 1st degree at 106F (I know 37C is body temp, so like 38 or 39C), so if it were running hot, I wouldn't even be able to touch it at all. XD Looks like I'm FOL, unless I install XP. (I know I can install 2 versions of Windows at the same time, but the question remains am I smart enough without borking something [answer: not likely] and do I have permission to [answer: not likely].) But my uncle said something about getting me my own laptop for Consumass (Consumer-Mass, known throughout the world as "Christmas"), so maybe things might not be as FOL as they look.

Also, Happy belated Thanksgiving and any other things you happened to be celebrating on 11/28 (or 28.11). :D