Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#126 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 8:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Klevkin
There was a discussion on the heritage reward, I'm not sure, but I believe it is possible to get it more then once, gonna test it out though probably not very soon. Perhaps someone else who's already used it can test it? And the thought popped up, for those who use AM. I have used it as well, and it allowed me to fulfill wishes that were not locked. If so, it makes it a lot easier to earn the points to this reward. (actually, I'm kind of missing that feature of AM, but my game can't handle the mod). Just as a side note for those allowed mods bit.

If it's possible to get it more than once, I'm going to have to disallow it entirely.

Though I personally use AM with the ability to fulfill wants that aren't locked turned on. It's actually not the purpose of that option to allow cheating by making it easier for Sims to earn points. It's actually there so that Sims in other households are able to fulfill wishes at all (since you're not there locking their wishes for them) - which just makes sense to me. And actually, I don't think it makes it that much easier for my Sims to earn points - seems like whenever I fulfill a wish that isn't locked, it's one of those really low-points ones. Anything that gives you a substantial amount of points usually takes more than enough time to fulfill for it to disappear if you don't lock it so this feature isn't as helpful as you'd think. I get far, far, far more points by keeping my Sims in a good mood and fulfilling locked wishes. So I don't really consider it to be cheating.

Right, so i experimented a bit on this real estate bit, and what I did was put the lot type on consignment store and then it did show up on the "real estate" list. For a 28K so, was not nearly as ready as I thought i'd be.

Yeah, these sorts of lots are buyable the moment you change their lot type from No Visitors Allowed to whatever they're going to be. They could still have nothing on them and be buyable, actually.

Quote: Originally posted by calisims
Avalikia, I have a question about the Ambitions lots, and parks and graveyards. They all have minimum requirements to be considered viable by the game. Technically you could put one counter and a consignment store register on the lawn to make a functioning consignment shop, but the game won't consider it 'open' until it has a minimum value of items on the property. Even though the game will call your shop 'closed' until you buy enough stuff to meet the minimum requirement, it will still function, and Sims will still visit. Your Sim would just be unable to collect profits from it. So, should the minimum requirement have to be met when purchasing and Ambitions lot or a park?

Nah, I think that this is better handled by Rule #2 - if you want to build a consignment shop with nothing but a counter with a cash register on it then you're free to do so (though if you've maxed sculpting I'd expect you to have some money to throw around). If you do that, you're out the money on the lot, and you get no return on that investment at all. Same thing with any other lot you could skimp on. And if your city is full of businesses you've skimped on, you may be victorious at the challenge, but it's clearly a victoriousness of lesser magnitude.

Quote: Originally posted by lauratje86
Last I heard from Avalikia boarding schools were ok, because there are both upsides and downsides to sending your children to them.

Yeah, and I'll probably be keeping it that way unless I decide otherwise once I get Generations and can actually test it out for myself. Incidentally, I'll likely be getting it and Pets sometime this week!

And finally, to address all the whining about vanilla puddingface Sims. No, I am not going to alter the rules to allow more CAS Sims just because you don't like the faces. That solves a purely cosmetic problem by making the challenge not challenging. That's why I allow CAS editing of appearances (well, that and so all the story writers can insert specific Sims into their world).

Incidentally, I solve that problem by using one of AwesomeMod's options that makes every newly generated Sim have a random face instead of a vanilla pudding face, so I don't have to do that at all. Just sayin'.
Advertisement
Scholar
#127 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 9:27 AM
Okay, fixed my glitch (or rather, worked around it).

Chapter 1: The Crash

Any CASed sims you see other than my starting one are NPCs whose traits were left untouched. And forgive any typos etc, it's very, very late here.

Avalikia, if you have random crashes post-install, it's probably Pets. It's way more graphics-intensive than EA led us to believe. The patch helped some, though.

Snickerson: a Random Legacy Challenge. There are zebras involved. Zebras.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#128 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 9:41 AM
I'll keep that in mind! Though my graphics card is made of awesome, so I doubt I'll have that problem.
Scholar
#129 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 9:46 AM
That's why I warned you about it. I got them, and at the time my computer was maybe four months old and one of the best on the market. It's bizarre, I can run Skyrim at max graphics settings and yet The Sims of all things still crashes due to graphics issues.

Scholar
#130 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 7:10 PM
My laptop is almost 2 years old but still pretty darn fantastic. I'm quite happy with it.

Ch. 4 - Want You to be Mine http://evansimslegacy.blogspot.com/...to-be-mine.html

Hey so has anyone tried using Jynx's rugs to make rabbit holes? Can you still buy/partner the rabbit hole? I haven't actually tested that even though I've used them before.

The Love Legacy A Random Legacy Challenge Blog - Currently in Progress
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#131 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 10:13 PM
Incidentally... I don't suppose that anyone would care to hear about my thoughts on how this challenge might be combined with the Random Legacy Challenge?
Mad Poster
#132 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 10:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Avalikia
Incidentally... I don't suppose that anyone would care to hear about my thoughts on how this challenge might be combined with the Random Legacy Challenge?

I would! Go for it! :-)
Test Subject
#133 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 10:18 PM Last edited by mirheart : 20th Feb 2012 at 10:48 PM.
@ReyaD - I have used both Jynx's rugs and doors for custom rabbit holes, and they are able to be bought / partnered. Basically it just seems to be a rabbit hole building converted into a rug so that it takes up a lot less space. Only big things to watch out for is you can't have more then one of the individual rugs on the same lot, you have to use the "combined" version where it is available. Also, I had numerous routing issues when I was using the doors, so I have mostly tried this with the rugs, which seem to work just fine provided you give them at least a two square extra room space on all sides.

Also, for the custom looking sims, I've just been using the editsim cheat (which you need to be patched current or have awesomemod to use). You can change everything from skin tone to ear points and as long as you don't touch traits it seems to be fine. Although... I did wonder about tattoos. Are those acceptable because they fall under appearance, or unacceptable until you get the salon and need to pay for them in game?

Edit: To clarify, the original editsim cheat was removed from the game, but was added back in the Generations patch. To get to it, you open up the cheats panel and type in "testingcheatsenabled true". Upon returning back to your game, shift-clicking on any sim will give you the option "Edit Sim in Create a Sim". I don't think that it will give you the option to access sims already saved to your bin however, because the option to access the library is not available. I don't know if this is very different from the Master Controller way of doing it (which I would really like to find out more about so I can actually use appearances I've already saved. ) But, if you just want to add in variety it should accomplish that without needing any mods.
Scholar
#134 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 10:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mirheart
Although... I did wonder about tattoos. Are those acceptable because they fall under appearance, or unacceptable until you get the salon and need to pay for them in game?

I think that would depend on whether you were redesigning an EA-generated NPC from scratch (in which case who's to say he didn't have the tattoo before he moved into town) or adding a tattoo to one of your existing sims (in which case how the heck did he get a tattoo if the town he has been living in doesn't have any tattoo artists?).

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#135 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 11:03 PM
Although... I did wonder about tattoos. Are those acceptable because they fall under appearance, or unacceptable until you get the salon and need to pay for them in game?

Hmm, tattoos? I suppose if for story purposes you want to say that the Sim got them elsewhere before moving into your city that would be acceptable, though I'd expect any born-in-game Sims would have to go tattoo-less until there's a Salon in your city. Does that sound fair?

Quote: Originally posted by lauratje86
I would! Go for it! :-)

Okay, then, I will! Though I warn that, like any combined challenge, the combination of rules mainly serves to make something meant to be a challenge even harder...

But my thoughts on it are this:
It's definitely possible to play this challenge while following a single family line, so that aspect is not a problem. The problem is more that you're likely to roll for them having a career that is unavailable due to not having the building (or other requirements) for it. But if you instead make it the heir's goal to earn for the city what they need for their wanted career, that works. Same thing with their spouse or helper and their secondary career. Now there are also some careers where earning what they need would be impossible, or so exceedingly difficult that earning it is too daunting. In that case, your Sim could merely earn something that would help any future Sims who want that career - like if your starting Sim rolls for science and you really don't want to tackle something that hard in the beginning, the Sim could instead earn a grocery store or fishing spot - things that might help anyone else down the line in getting a Science Lab. Of course, any Sim earning something for a career would have to have more relaxed rules on how they're allowed to earn their income, though if they can work in their chosen job then those rules would still apply. Sims who are able to work in their chosen job should do so, but may earn something more of your own choice for the city, perhaps inspired by other parts of their roll. Any children besides your heir may also earn lots for you if they can do so before they need to move out.

Beyond that, I know that some of the other parts of the roll may be rendered impossible based on what you have in your town at the time. In those causes, you can either decide that making it possible in the future during that generation counts as satisfying the requirement, even if you're unable to both make it possible and achieve it, or you may get a free reroll if you really can't come up with an acceptable substitute like that. But for example, if your roll makes your Sim a Tattoo Addict, but there is no Salon in your city, perhaps one of their kids could maximize painting before they move out and unlock the Salon, and then your Sim could get the tattoos they've been wanting. I'd count that as satisfying that goal.

Also, another thought is that if you have the money it would be acceptable for you to move in NPCs at any point as long as it's so that you can immediately move them out into their own house.

But basically, if you treat the rolls more as 'this is what my Sim wants, though if they can't have it themselves they want to make it so that future generations can' (or something along those lines), you can still basically play both challenges at the same time. The added difficulty is that you're not the one picking which lots to earn so much, and since you won't have so many Sims around able to earn lots your city will grow more slowly. Also, you'll probably not be able to complete this challenge before the end of your legacy, though you could always do back to back legacies, or start with a legacy and then play more normally afterward. Or play normally for awhile, and then introduce a legacy.

So, yeah, those are my thoughts. And I'm actually now tempted to restart this challenge in my own game but play the random legacy version of it...
Scholar
#136 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 11:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Zokugai
adding a tattoo to one of your existing sims (in which case how the heck did he get a tattoo if the town he has been living in doesn't have any tattoo artists?).

Simple. A needle, a candle and ink (And the brave or insane traits).

EDIT: I'm actually sort of already using a random element in my story. I have the given lots in two groups, big goals (Science Lab, City Hall, School, etc.) and small goals (grocery store, diner, park, etc.) based on how hard it would be to get them.

I put all the big goals in a hat and pulled them out one by one and then switched a few around for sense issues (Why would they get a film lot before getting a hospital? Come on, people). And I'm trying to achieve one "big goal" per generation.

The Love Legacy A Random Legacy Challenge Blog - Currently in Progress
Scholar
#137 Old 20th Feb 2012 at 11:18 PM
Next chapter's up. Purely to continue to prove Cece utterly, utterly wrong. ;D

Chapter 2: I've been through the desert with a bird with no name

The other one
#138 Old 21st Feb 2012 at 6:22 AM
I'm rubbish at keeping legacies going but I thought I'd give this a try since I've been meaning to build up Armiel's empty world (Finnington) for ages. Well, I kept getting lost in all the rules so in an attempt to keep my plans organised I made a table of all the community lots and their prices. Might not make sense to anyone but me, lol but thought I'd share in case it helps anyone else out Sorry it's so wide and if anybody does use it please feel free to proof read and let me know if I missed a bit etc.

Thanks for the awesome challenge idea, fingers crossed I can keep this one going

Lot TypeAthleticInstrumentCharismaCookFishGardenHandyPaintLogicWriteMar ArtsPhotogNectarSculptingMixInventCelebRidingK9 LTWCat LTWJockey LTWZoo LTWPriceEP
Crim Warehouse1150000B
Bistro137500B
Bookstore127000B
Day Spa50000B
diner124000B
Hospital1105000B
Office Building1158000B
Science Lab111140000B
Stadium1115000B
Supermarket127000B
Theatre1158000B
City Hall10B
GraveyardPurchaseB
Military110B
Police Dept.1110B
School110B
Art Gallery1PurchaseB
Beach1PurchaseB
Big Park11PurchaseB
Fishing Spot1PurchaseB
Gym1PurchaseB
Library1PurchaseB
Pool1PurchaseB
Small Park10B
Visitors AllowedRule 5B
No visitors allowed0B
Academy1PurchaseW/A
Chinese Garden1PurchaseW/A
Nectary1PurchaseW/A
Consignment Shop1PurchaseAmb
Fire Station110Amb
Hangout*11PurchaseAmb
Junkyard10Amb
LandromatPurchaseAmb
Salon10Amb
Film Studio11195000L/N
Book/Spa Combo180000L/N
Office/Bistro111170000L/N
City Hall/Police/Military Combo111110L/N
Club**11PurchaseL/N
Bar1PurchaseL/N
Lounge***11PurchaseL/N
Equestrian centre1115000Pets
Dog Park1PurchasePets
Cat Jungle1PurchasePets
Horse Ranch1PurchasePets
Pet Shops1PurchasePets

* One or the other, both skills not required.
** At least one star celebrity status
*** At least three star celebrity status

Guys, rules are good! Rules help control the fun. ~ Monica E. Geller
Lab Assistant
#139 Old 21st Feb 2012 at 1:10 PM Last edited by Klevkin : 21st Feb 2012 at 2:34 PM.
Also, for the custom looking sims, I've just been using the editsim cheat (which you need to be patched current or have awesomemod to use). You can change everything from skin tone to ear points and as long as you don't touch traits it seems to be fine. Although... I did wonder about tattoos. Are those acceptable because they fall under appearance, or unacceptable until you get the salon and need to pay for them in game?

Edit: To clarify, the original editsim cheat was removed from the game, but was added back in the Generations patch. To get to it, you open up the cheats panel and type in "testingcheatsenabled true". Upon returning back to your game, shift-clicking on any sim will give you the option "Edit Sim in Create a Sim". I don't think that it will give you the option to access sims already saved to your bin however, because the option to access the library is not available. I don't know if this is very different from the Master Controller way of doing it (which I would really like to find out more about so I can actually use appearances I've already saved. ) But, if you just want to add in variety it should accomplish that without needing any mods.

When you use Master Controller you can click the button for saved sims as you would when you'd create a new family. That way you can replace the current sim with one from the saved bin.

@Avalikia, I love your view on the combined random thing. I think you could put a section in your begin post to add it to this one .

EDIT: UPDATE: 1.3 Distractions
Scholar
#140 Old 21st Feb 2012 at 3:17 PM
Essentially MasterControl takes you all the way back to the initial creation CAS. Only difference I can tell is you can't add another sim to the "household". But you can save, load saved sims, add tattoos, basically everything.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#141 Old 21st Feb 2012 at 5:26 PM
@Avalikia, I love your view on the combined random thing. I think you could put a section in your begin post to add it to this one .

I'll definitely consider it, though I'll probably want to make my explanation a bit more concise if I do that.

Incidentally, I read your latest story update, and it's hilarious! Especially that last bit.
Lab Assistant
#142 Old 22nd Feb 2012 at 7:46 AM
Thank you very much! I love it when people enjoy my writing :D
Field Researcher
#143 Old 22nd Feb 2012 at 7:02 PM
I gots a question! and for once its not about adding new sims, rofl..... I have woohooer installed in my game, am I allowed to use that so I can breed females with females and males with males?
Mad Poster
#144 Old 22nd Feb 2012 at 9:39 PM Last edited by lauratje86 : 23rd Feb 2012 at 2:53 AM.
I kind of abandoned this challenge a bit because I started a random legacy, but I'm going to play it for a couple of hours or so now. I miss the Underwoods! :-)

Current Households:

- The Underwoods - Marcus Underwood (A), Danielle Underwood (A), Philip Underwood (Te), James Underwood (To), Mojo Underwood (adult dog)
- The Lindleys - Luke Lindley (E), Rebecca Lindley (YA), Oliver Lindley (C), Gareth Lindley (C)
- The Rosado/ Deemans - Janis Rosado (A), Faith Rosado (To), Grace Rosado (C), Katherine Rosado (C)
- The Kays - Cheng Yang Kay (A), Kayleigh Kay (YA), Louis Kay (B)
- The Deemans - Marena Roberts Deeman (A), Dan Deeman (A)

Current Community Lots:

- Supermarket (Laura)
- Bookstore (Alma)
- Fishing Spot (Dave)
- Consignment Store (Graham)
- Graveyard (Kayleigh)
- Laundrette (Rebecca)
- Military Base (Luke)
- Junkyard (Marcus)
- Day Spa (Janis)

Planned Future Community Lots:

- Poolside Club, probably (Danielle) (Painting 3, Guitar 10, 1 celebrity star)
- Undecided, possibly a salon (Philip) (Painting 3)
- Undecided (James)

**EDITED TO ADD** I'm going to start another attempt at this, to play alongside the Underwoods, and I was wondering if anyone else had seen/uses the mod by gesimz which allows sims to invest in junkyards, small parks, salons and the other lots that are usually unbuyable? (available for download here) I'm going to give it a go, and use slightly stricter rules (no boarding school, no Inheritance, no unrealistic service sims) for this attempt to see how it goes.
Test Subject
#145 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 4:13 AM
I've decided that I won't try to do a story along with this challenge but I will update here periodically. I haven't been able to get back into writing since I've been sick. Now that I'm well again I have too many irons in the fire so to speak and other projects demanding equal attention. I need to get back to my random legacy and get the next chapter re-written, I feel it's way too long, just over 3 pages in word without pictures is too wordy I think

Brandon Shore A (Supermarket Maxed Gardening and Logic) Cristina Eaton-Shores A (Equestrian Center Max Riding, level 5 handiness, level 6 cooking, level 8 gardening) Rider Shores TE (Undecided level 4 Inventing, Cooking, Athletic, Handiness) Hunter Shores C (undecided level 7 logic)

Nelson Billings E (Science Lab Maxed Handiness, Gardening and Fishing) Noel Billings A (Undecided Level 7 Charisma Level 8 painting, level 7 gardening, Cooking level 5) Gavin Billings TE (Undecided level 5 athletic, level 4 inventing, level 4 handiness) Gabriella Billings C ( Undecided level 7 logic, level 3 painting)

As soon as Noel unlocks a community lot the Billings family will move out. Or the Shores will move leaving them behind. I haven't decided yet.

Mathews Random Legacy (current Legacy)
Test Subject
#146 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 5:11 AM
Quick question. Is it alright to adopt?
Mad Poster
#147 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 5:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mamaca0076
Quick question. Is it alright to adopt?

Yup :-)

Quote: Originally posted by Avalikia
Kids may be biological, adopted, or created in some fashion - none of that is restricted.
Lab Assistant
#148 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 12:31 PM
Im currently on my third attempt with the O'Neals.

I was using horse head island as it works like a dream on my computer but figured out it was far too small to do this challenge with. Ive started using Niua Simoa which I love but I have had it freeze a couple of times. My pc is medium spec but I do seem to get a lot of problems with freezing and lag (all drivers are up to date). What are the worlds you guys are using?

I have set myself a rule that only one person in the household can claim inheritance if someone else in the household dies AND they already have the 30,000 points or will do within 48 hours. Im thinking of it as life insurance.

Im also interested in adding some random legacy elements to it but not quite figured out what or how yet.
Lab Assistant
#149 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 2:09 PM
Wlecome to the challenge, have you read Avalikia's take on combing this with the random legacy?? That should give you an idea on how to do this
I myself emptied out Hidden Springs, I have already learned to accept the lagging every now and then if things get to bad, a move is in order....sadly enough
Lab Assistant
#150 Old 23rd Feb 2012 at 3:09 PM
Hi Klevkin

I must have missed Avalikia's post about that, will read through everything again.

Alas, I don't have hidden springs so can't use that one. I tried moving my family from horse head island to niua simoa but whenever I tried to place the lot it said that I couldnt so I tried starting again. It's not the lagging I mind so much, im used to that, it's when it freezes completely and I have to exit the game that annoys me. I'd create my own world if I had the patience!
Page 6 of 39