Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 8th Aug 2015 at 8:47 PM
Default Building tip: alternative to non-free-placing columns
I made a post on my blog, raging about how annoying it is to not be able to place columns off the grid, as I wanted to be able to place a column in the center of a tile. Jools responded with a mock-up of the thing I was building, featuring a few CC-free tricks to simulate this effect with furniture. It was so handy and I thought that a lot of Sim builders over here would appreciate the info.

I just attached the picture of my favorite one, which I think I'll be using for the build I almost rage quit But here's the whole post , with four different objects you can combine with half-walls to create the illusion of a large column centered on one tile.
Screenshots

My Simblr is FakeHouses|RealAwesome
Check out my Sim re-creations of 1920s kit homes:
The Shadow Lawn ||| The Plaza ||| The Trenton
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#2 Old 8th Aug 2015 at 9:43 PM
Hm, wouldn't sims try to use those trash cans occasionally? Or are they smart enough to understand they cannot reach them?

I've been using fence posts from the world fences for similar purposes (they don't have any function as far as sims are concerned); the pedestal is also a cool idea =) -- that won't confuse sims either (I think) .. they cannot use that for anything, can they?

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 8th Aug 2015 at 11:01 PM
@plasticbox

Yeah, I imagine the most they'd try to do with the pedestal would be to look at it (same with the dish rack, probably). I thought about that with the trash can, but this is for a community lot where I don't think there would even be anything they'd want to throw away. Could be an issue for a residential or camping lot, for example.

Good idea about the fence post too!

One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#4 Old 9th Aug 2015 at 8:15 AM
I've been using trashcans as chimney pots

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 9th Aug 2015 at 8:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
I've been using trashcans as chimney pots

That's a good idea too!

Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#6 Old 11th Aug 2015 at 5:15 AM Last edited by plasticbox : 11th Aug 2015 at 5:30 AM.
I made a non-trashcan trashcan (the CanOFlage with different tuning and stuff): http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=562031 -- if sims try to mess with actual trashcans, maybe one can use that instead. (That trashcan actually looks a lot more like a re-purposed planter to me now than the other way around =P).

Repurposing objects in this manner is not very complex, since it doesn't involve messing with the actual object (like meshing and stuff): copy the original COBJ and OBJD (find it by looking up the in-game name in Origin Games/The Sims 4/Data/Client/Strings_ENG_US.package and then search for the key filtering for COBJ, or make a throwaway clone and delete everything but the COBJ/OBJD), give them a new instance, then change the tuning to object_Sculpture_NoView (ID 0x000000000001ABB7), nullify the rig/rslt and if necessary change the ftpt reference (I used that of a World trashcan). One can also change the name/description hash in the COBJ and give it a custom STBL but that is more cosmetic than necessary. Catalogue sorting is in the COBJ as well.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.