Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Aug 2016 at 8:34 PM
Default World height query
I forgot what I set my map and world height too, I'm worried that I use two different heights such as 100 and 200. I think the heights are supposed to match, what happens if they don't. I apologise for asking but am very worried.
Advertisement
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#2 Old 30th Aug 2016 at 8:39 PM
They don't have to match- but if the heightmap is too tall for the world height, then the tops of mountains will be chopped off.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Aug 2016 at 8:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
They don't have to match- but if the heightmap is too tall for the world height, then the tops of mountains will be chopped off.
my mountains are fine, so is that a indicator that I picked the right height?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#4 Old 30th Aug 2016 at 9:57 PM
Yes, as long as it looks how you want it to, all is well.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 30th Aug 2016 at 11:41 PM
Yes, as long as it looks how you want it to, all is well.
Awesome thanks for info
dodgy builder
#6 Old 31st Aug 2016 at 1:04 AM
You might want to try'n build a very high building on top just to see what you have to work with. I have max height on my Castle Island top that I reach from time to time.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 31st Aug 2016 at 1:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
You might want to try'n build a very high building on top just to see what you have to work with. I have max height on my Castle Island top that I reach from time to time.

I can't use edit in game so not sure how i'd build a building high, most of my height is routed off xD I need to post some pics so you guys can see the world really.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 31st Aug 2016 at 7:01 PM
Default Not related
I just found this area in my world thats apparently to steep I really don't want to have to change it unless its really bad, what do you guys think? sorry its not related to the topic, I just don't want people to get annoyed if i post a new topic for this XD https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t35...0f4&oe=57C9D566
dodgy builder
#9 Old 31st Aug 2016 at 7:51 PM
You could put some plants there, to make caw calculate in smaller steps.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 31st Aug 2016 at 8:05 PM
You could put some plants there, to make caw calculate in smaller steps.
I don't really want to go back into caw as I have put all the lots in, in game (as i can't use EIG) :L I looked at someone elses world and they have a few spots like that and it still runs well. Would it be ok if I put a rock or plant there in world editor in game?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#11 Old 31st Aug 2016 at 8:55 PM
You mean the broken lines? That's fine, it's just that the routing mesh is linear and the terrain is curved.
http://www.twitlonger.com/show/gf9utr

The red blob looks like an unroutable spot so sims won't go there anyway.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 31st Aug 2016 at 9:26 PM
You mean the broken lines? That's fine, it's just that the routing mesh is linear and the terrain is curved.

The red dot is what is meant XD I hate to ask another question, if there was a way to pay you guys for your help i would lol XD Are theselots overlapping the dirt road? I can never tell with dirt...
dodgy builder
#13 Old 31st Aug 2016 at 11:12 PM

If the curve there becomes too high, wouldn't the sims legs vanish under the terrain then?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 31st Aug 2016 at 11:43 PM
If the curve there becomes too high, wouldn't the sims legs vanish under the terrain then?

Not for me, unless its a very steep area.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#15 Old 1st Sep 2016 at 5:19 AM
Did anyone see the photo of the dirt road? I'm not sure if you guys can see it on a phone I can't.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#16 Old 1st Sep 2016 at 7:19 AM
Can't see the dirt road picture @lloyd118

@Volvenom Yes, but it's purely graphical and won't cause any routing errors.

Re: the red blob- looks like that may be where the terrain is to steep for sims to traverse, so the program has auto-masked it. You'll see the same if you create a very steep mountain or a cliff.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#17 Old 1st Sep 2016 at 12:14 PM
Can't see the dirt road picture @lloyd118

@Volvenom Yes, but it's purely graphical and won't cause any routing errors.

Re: the red blob- looks like that may be where the terrain is to steep for sims to traverse, so the program has auto-masked it. You'll see the same if you create a very steep mountain or a cliff.
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t35...541&oe=57CA23D2
Top Secret Researcher
#18 Old 1st Sep 2016 at 12:29 PM
Yes, it looks as if they overlap the roads. If you use the grid consequently for placing lots and road it should be easier to avoid that.

You could also use the opacity texture of the standard road for the sidewalk while you set up your layout, and only replace it with the one from the dirt road after you are finished. The one from the standard road is fully opaque and does not give you those fading edges of the sidewalk.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#19 Old 1st Sep 2016 at 5:04 PM
I agree with @Vincent T. in that the lots on the right definitely overlap the pedestrian route on the road. Good idea about changing the texture to setup.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#20 Old 1st Sep 2016 at 6:34 PM
I agree with @Vincent T. in that the lots on the right definitely overlap the pedestrian route on the road. Good idea about changing the texture to setup.

I didn't change the texture but moved the lots back, I hope thats enough I might give up on this world soon anyways, I forgot to change the texture
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#21 Old 1st Sep 2016 at 8:18 PM Last edited by lloyd118 : 1st Sep 2016 at 8:34 PM.
This is it now I deleted a lot or two and i think it looks better though just noticed the road intersection is a tad crooked not sure if that affects the game. Also I added dirt underneath the path. Edit: I also moved the lots back.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#22 Old 1st Sep 2016 at 8:44 PM
Routing looks better now, I don't think the path is obstructed.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#23 Old 1st Sep 2016 at 8:49 PM
Routing looks better now, I don't think the path is obstructed.
Thanks I meant to say road not path XD I put dirt under the road so it would look better with the lots moved back, does it matter if a intersection is a bit wonky?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#24 Old 1st Sep 2016 at 9:55 PM
I meant the pedestrian footpath, which is on either side of the road (and part of the road).

It doesn't matter that the intersection is wonky, as long as it is attached to the road and not overlapping a lot or other object. It's important for good world routing that sims on foot and using vehicles can travel on roads without obstruction. The shape and appearance of the road is really a matter of aesthetics.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#25 Old 1st Sep 2016 at 10:00 PM
I meant the pedestrian footpath, which is on either side of the road (and part of the road).

It doesn't matter that the intersection is wonky, as long as it is attached to the road and not overlapping a lot or other object. It's important for good world routing that sims on foot and using vehicles can travel on roads without obstruction. The shape and appearance of the road is really a matter of aesthetics.
Ok thanks, Yeah I don't think that the road path is obstructed now theres a good hard tile space between road and lot. When you say roads can't be overlapping another object does that include road signs and street lights? I put some signs on the roads path and maybe a street light or two placed just by the road, hope this would be ok.