Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Mar 2013 at 11:27 PM Last edited by auntielynds : 15th Mar 2013 at 11:39 PM.
Default Research Thread: Turning a world into a University Town
Research Thread: Turning a world into a University Town

The first question I asked myself with University is "How do I make my own?" I haven't done much yet, but I thought others we're probably doing the same thing. We can use this thread to post our findings. I'll update the first posts with what we figure out.

Helpful Threads to review:
Turning a world into a vacation hot spot by Stw402 @ MTS
Changed my world into a vacation world by Simsample @ MTS
Resource responsible for determining the characteristics by Simsample @ MTS

So far it looks like you can have only one University town. Maybe once Twallen gets bored with Sim City 5, we'll see a mod similar to the Traveler mod. but, I have no idea if that's possible.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#2 Old 6th Mar 2013 at 11:31 PM Last edited by auntielynds : 15th Mar 2013 at 11:43 PM.
These are the same instructions from Tamlo32/Stw402 thread HERE just reworded a bit for University . Thank you Stw, and, thank you to Margaret Pendragon, and PWN9483 for testing up to this point.

You will need:
Sims 3 Package Explorer (s3pe)
The UNKN 0x296A6258 Resource. Download available at the bottom of this post.

Overview of Process:
We are starting with a completed World, in .sims3pack form.

1. Install the World through the Launcher.

2. Rename the .world to Sims University.world
Located in: my documents/sims3 folder/Installed worlds

3. Open S3PE, click "File"/"Open" and navigate to: My Documents/Sims 3 folder/Installed worlds, the file should now be called Sims University.world

4. In S3PE click on "Resource" at the top of the screen and "Import from file". Navigate to the UNKN 0x296A6258 Resource you downloaded. It will look like this: S3_296A6258_00000000_0000000000000001%%+UNKN

5. Save and exit S3PE 6. Navigate to:
CD Install: C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\University Life\GameData\Shared\NonPackaged\Worlds
or
Digital Download: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origins Games\The Sims 3\University Life\GameData\Shared\NonPackaged\Worlds

7. backup the original Sims University.world located here by moving it somewhere safe.

8. Now just move the newly renamed Sims University world from: My documents\Sims 3 folder\installed worlds to this new location: C:\Program Files (x86)\Origins Games or Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\University Life\GameData\Shared\NonPackaged\Worlds

I've extracted the resource which makes it a University town.

Screenshots
Attached files:
File Type: 7z  S3_296A6258_00000000_0000000000000001%%+UNKN.7z (208 Bytes, 365 downloads) - View custom content
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 7th Mar 2013 at 8:57 PM Last edited by PWN9483 : 10th Mar 2013 at 6:58 PM.
Thank you for the links and the download Auntielynds.

Added Rabbithole "lot" sizes taken from University here:
http://www.modthesims.info/showpost...50&postcount=65
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 7th Mar 2013 at 10:33 PM
I'm glad this issue is already being researched. I eagerly purchased UL earlier today, but my heart sank when I saw the incredibly boring world in which my sims would have to spend their college years... Could it be any more .... bleh? Epic fail, EA.
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 8th Mar 2013 at 7:44 AM
I'm glad to see this thread. That was my first thought too--how can I make my own Uni world?? I converted the rabbit holes into rugs, and just updated CAW. I hope to dig into this more this weekend, and after that it's spring break.

Can we import premade worlds into a blank CAW project and leave the resource in that makes it a Uni, and just start editing the world to our liking? Probably not, I'm guessing, as that sounds too simple :P
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#6 Old 8th Mar 2013 at 8:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Margaret Pendragon
Can we import premade worlds into a blank CAW project and leave the resource in that makes it a Uni, and just start editing the world to our liking? Probably not, I'm guessing, as that sounds too simple :P

I'm thinking you can.

I'm going to test this weekend as well, had a busy week, but have a nice three day weekend to fiddle with it. Although, I should be out doing a little spring yard maintenance
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 11th Mar 2013 at 5:43 AM
That would be great if it's that easy. I played around in CAW tonight but didn't get to that, so I'll try it tomorrow.
If it does work, I'm curious if the new Uni world would then overwrite EAs Uni world...we shall see.
Top Secret Researcher
#8 Old 11th Mar 2013 at 11:06 PM
SUCCESS!

It seems to work exactly the same as replacing vacation worlds, as posted by Tamlo in this thread. Don't laugh at my test world

I did also manage to import the existing Uni world into CAW, made a couple changes, but then got an error when trying to save it.

That's as far as I got for now. Now I need run around the house and make look like I've really been cleaning and cooking all day before the hubs gets home!
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 12th Mar 2013 at 10:45 PM
I'm putting this thread on my favourites!

Just thought I'd mention that I've been putting some of the uni buildings in my home world and they are actually very useful! You can send your sims to quite a few skill classes and other things, and the library actually seems to work as... a library!

Not to mention the buildings are beautiful! <3

There are two empty shells in buydebug which I think can be used for any purpose... I'm still testing this though.

Just thought that might be useful. :D
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 13th Mar 2013 at 1:20 AM
Yep, they are pretty much functional in every aspect except for sims going to college. They offer lots of skill classes and extra activities like posing nude and being a test subject for science, etc.

I'm still disappointed we can't incorporate the college classes into our homeworld, but ah well. At least now we know we can make our own Uni worlds, so I've been playing busily in CAW all day today.
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 13th Mar 2013 at 7:03 PM
I can't wait to see the screenshots of custom uni worlds!

It's a shame we can't have additional uni and vacation worlds. I hate to replace any!
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 14th Mar 2013 at 9:07 PM
Just checking back with a little info

Used the flags provided in the 2nd post to modify a world file and make it into a University World.

Then using the information from Tamlo31's Posting I exported the world from CAW, placed it in the C: drive folder for The Sims 3 University Life\GameData\Shared - (ensuring to rename and move the installed Sims University.world that came with TS3 University first).

Then within TS3 using the Sims smart phone to enroll in University works fine.

The University has the Sorority, Fraternity and Dormitory lots. The Sims in these throw their parties, streak and light the bonfires as expected... but ... the interactions aren't all there i.e. The welcome gathering with the professor at the student union as per the default University installation doesn't happen.

Am going to have to play the default University a lot more to see any more differences between default and our custom worlds.

Just thought to share that making a University world does work and that little tweeks or changes may need to be accounted for. Will check back in when I have more to share.
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 14th Mar 2013 at 9:16 PM
I was wondering how to make the meet and greet happen. Do you have lecture podiums and the white marker boards on the lot? I gleaned from someone else (haven't tried myself yet) that the meet and greet and class lectures were tied to those objects.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 15th Mar 2013 at 2:07 AM
I was wondering how to make the meet and greet happen. Do you have lecture podiums and the white marker boards on the lot?

I copied the intact lots for each university building from the expansion into a world to test things. Hopefully all the objects came with them.

I gleaned from someone else (haven't tried myself yet) that the meet and greet and class lectures were tied to those objects.

As others have commented, there are more interactions available but the "Orientation" objective isn't showing up with a test Sim that moves into University. Hopefully it's something simple like you're suggesting.

I made sure each placed lot had the matching lot types from the expansion.
I checked the lots, the white boards and podium are there, the floor seating object sits under the class desks.

Will have to dissect more of University world and see if there's something I missed. Thanks for the response.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 15th Mar 2013 at 7:03 AM
I don't remember if the student union building has a special lot type or not, but it does have a special object, the Event Lot Marker on it. This works similar to the Seasonal Lot Marker. Meet & greet stuff like the student services booth are only present in the orientation layout that you can set to with the event lot marker. Perhaps you need this marker on the lot for it to work?
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 15th Mar 2013 at 5:25 PM
There is a special lot for it, yes, but I'll bet the event lot marker is key for making the meet and greet happen. Makes sense now that you say it, due to the freebies booths that appear during the meet and greet. Thanks chaosme!
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 15th Mar 2013 at 5:33 PM Last edited by PWN9483 : 16th Mar 2013 at 1:03 AM.
I tried to place the (EventLotMarker DO NOT TRANSLATE) and it states "Only one seasonal lot marker can be placed per lot".

I then tried placing the actual (Seasonal Lot Marker) and it states the same thing.

So there is a marker on the Student Union building.
I found it against the outer wall near the building entrance on the right side of the doorway.
It is the (EventLotMarker DO NOT TRANSLATE).

Edit: removed an update as the issues still persist.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 15th Mar 2013 at 9:41 PM
Wow !

Thanks you.
I'm kind of a beginner with this whole s3pe.
Well i know to to edit premade worlds and i use S3PE for it.
So do i need to open my world on S3PE and just import this file?

Edit: But then, shouldn't i replace the world with the original university world in The Sims 3 University Life program folder?
And should i export the university world i made and download it into the game?
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 15th Mar 2013 at 11:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by omgoReL
Wow !

Thanks you.
I'm kind of a beginner with this whole s3pe.
Well i know to to edit premade worlds and i use S3PE for it.
So do i need to open my world on S3PE and just import this file?

Yes resource menu, Import/from file...
Make sure Resource Name and Replace Duplicates is checked and save.
Then simply export that world from CAW, make sure the name is "Sims University" and place it in your worlds folder from your University installation location i.e. C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 3 University Life\GameData\Shared\NonPackaged\Worlds
Then install it from your sims launcher and you're good to go.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 17th Mar 2013 at 5:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Cinderellimouse
I can't wait to see the screenshots of custom uni worlds!

It's a shame we can't have additional uni and vacation worlds. I hate to replace any!

Has anyone figured out a way to do this? Like with traveler where you can go to any installed world?
Top Secret Researcher
#21 Old 18th Mar 2013 at 3:26 AM
Have any of you had success with triggering the meet and greet? I've tried a few times this evening to no avail. I've got the event marker placed on the lot and it is set to the type Student Union. I've set the common objects and orientation objects as well, and it's still not triggering.

Question: where is the freebies table? I can't locate it in the catalog or buydebug (or am overlooking it, quite likely). It seems like something that would be available when setting the orientation objects.
Mad Poster
#22 Old 18th Mar 2013 at 7:47 AM

Question: where is the freebies table? I can't locate it in the catalog or buydebug (or am overlooking it, quite likely). It seems like something that would be available when setting the orientation objects.

It's not an object you can buy, believe me when I say I've looked everywhere for it. Now that I have read this thread, I need to fiddle around with the event marker although you have reported it doesn't seem to trigger the meet and greet. I changed a library to a student union building in the home world and now know that I was missing that marker.

Thanks for starting this thread. I will be bookmarking it for future developments.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Top Secret Researcher
#23 Old 18th Mar 2013 at 7:56 AM
Well, seems like it *should* trigger it somehow, I can't help but think I'm doing something wrong. Will have to keep futzing with it tomorrow.
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 18th Mar 2013 at 5:53 PM
Well, seems like it *should* trigger it somehow, I can't help but think I'm doing something wrong. Will have to keep futzing with it tomorrow.

From the desk of ...

Quote: Originally posted by NRaas State of the Mod
2013-MAR-17

The "Meet and Greet" error : Entirely my bad.

ErrorTrap was failing to handle hidden objects, in the same manner it had issues regarding Festival Lots when Seasons was released
The mod has now been updated to handle them correctly.

If your Student Union lot is already mangled, my apologies regarding that, however you will need to replace it with a new copy.

Ahh the joys of new releases and finding all those pesky changes.
Top Secret Researcher
#25 Old 18th Mar 2013 at 6:09 PM
Hmm, I think I re-exported it without Error Trap (somewhere in there last night I removed mods again). I'll try it again today. I saw he updated a bunch of stuff last night, yay!
Page 1 of 4