Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Oct 2016 at 10:38 AM
Anyone interested in a collaboration CAW project?
So, I'm sort of experienced in CAW, created a few smaller worlds, mostly farming communities and islands, but now I got a lot of time on my hands and would love to do a bigger project! Therefore, I decided that I would try to find some equally creative artists to do a group project with.

My idea is a large world including content from all TS3 EPs, with sort of a Bridgeport styled center, surrounded by farmland and with the ocean on one side. Some hills with a suburb and a gloomier, victorian styled area for the supernaturals. Some islands around with more of a tropical feel to them, and hints of WA as well. At least a Sim-Fu academy and a nectary. This is just my first sketch, I'm very open to suggestions.

I can host the map on my computer, or, if someone else is eager to do lots of landscaping, they could. The map could also be passed around. I don't have any specific standards, except having access to all EPs and knowing your way around TS3 tools. What I would love would be for different simmers with different strengths and talents to come together and create something awesome!

I consider my own strengths to be building and storytelling.

Let me know if you are interested, everyone is welcome!
Advertisement
dodgy builder
#2 Old 13th Oct 2016 at 1:55 PM
Do you have any pictures of what you have been doing?

You can click on my name to see mine. How long time do you usually use on a world?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Oct 2016 at 2:17 PM Last edited by AvalonMcSoley : 13th Oct 2016 at 3:42 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Volvenom
Do you have any pictures of what you have been doing?

You can click on my name to see mine. How long time do you usually use on a world?

Your work is amazing! I'll upload pics as soon as I get my hands on my Sims computer in a few hours. I usually do smaller lots or apartments, mostly traditional styles but I dabble in the more modernistic stuff as well. On a small world and with a 24 pack of redbull I can Finnish a world in a week or two, but maybe on average a month or more, but that's worlds only focusing on a couple of EPs.

EDIT: Those are small worlds with like 10 households. (Just adding that so you don't think I'm a sloppy designer.)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 13th Oct 2016 at 6:09 PM
These were the only pics I could get my hands on:
http://imgur.com/a/JIvL2
Three works in progress, two modernistic houses and one apartment.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 13th Oct 2016 at 6:38 PM
Hhhhm, I like the Idea but my work related mind rings the alert. inmediatly I think: We should make just an image map to start (preferbly a black white heigtmap and a color(coded) map, if using Photoshop or any good editor that will be doable (if nobody want to or can do that I can), then we should describe neighbourhoods, create the map (fromout experience I have requests!). We can share building a map But when done we have to save and publish the save files (agree on method before starting). After that it will be easy; create a complete image of the Sims map , number homes/buildings and create a list what is wanted/it's purpose (with those numbers) and anyone can start building a lot after downloading the map, save to library and publish, when all/many lots are ready we can create a a completly filled map (same way as Sims map, shared or by one, but just as there 1 at the time).

This way we can all choose lots to build, the more help a bit the sooner the complete map will be filled and we all can enjoy! This way we can all choose Lots according our expertize... And if finished anyone can keep developing (then others can choose their building in some lots, which could end up in a version 2.0 (and for those, if we ever come that far) who want to build a new world, start a new topic (if this becomes a succes many we end up with pages filled with worlds with a divers creativity)

I'm open to help with all the above but I can't guarantee time (I've to work). I think of myself as large building creator, 9 floor parkings, Gallery shops for 40+ stores, Military bases (build over 50 of those, on all types of terrain) but also temples/churches (graveyards), (air)ports (if needed/wanted multilot); I'll start the game and make some printscreens, didn't upload much because I'vo got to many Ideas, most of the time I end up building the base of a lot (empty building -> buy mode only for transport (filled garage/dock), lights and sometimes TV (wall mounted, 4 example in front of the lift doors in a commercial building or large TV's in a stadium hanging from the roof) and security cams. Placing furniture I only do when it's needed (the really nice ones I save to my library) or a small job/lot. I'm busy building a world, will make some caps of that as well (to keypoint some requests).
dodgy builder
#6 Old 13th Oct 2016 at 9:06 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AvalonMcSoley
Your work is amazing! I'll upload pics as soon as I get my hands on my Sims computer in a few hours. I usually do smaller lots or apartments, mostly traditional styles but I dabble in the more modernistic stuff as well. On a small world and with a 24 pack of redbull I can Finnish a world in a week or two, but maybe on average a month or more, but that's worlds only focusing on a couple of EPs.

EDIT: Those are small worlds with like 10 households. (Just adding that so you don't think I'm a sloppy designer.)

I'm a petimeter sometimes. I can probably do things like routing and painting, and sculpting the map. I don't know if I can make the program work on my new comp though. I have to test first.

It's possible for me to make the map first and you can consentrate on the houses.

Anno2015, do you have some pictures to show your work?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 14th Oct 2016 at 2:54 PM
I'm a petimeter sometimes. I can probably do things like routing and painting, and sculpting the map. I don't know if I can make the program work on my new comp though. I have to test first.

It's possible for me to make the map first and you can consentrate on the houses.

Great! Let me know if the program works! I'm so glad someone volunteered to sculpture the map, as that is my biggest weakness in world-design. We just ought to agree on a standard lot size for residential areas. I'd say 20x30 and 20x20 in the suburb, but that's just my love for tiny houses talking. XD I also have the sketches for a large celebrity mansion and a french chateau laying ready to be built over the weekend.

Here's a quick sketch of the layout I imagined, which I scrambled down in like five minutes on this free drawing tool online because I didn't have access to my computer *sigh*. (Looks like the work of a 5 year old, I know...)
http://imgur.com/a/k7y6h
But as I said I want this to be a group project and that's just my first thoughts, I'd love feedback and opinions!
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 14th Oct 2016 at 5:45 PM

after my post I made some printscreens in the editor (not yet the game itself) because I got called to work and just came home = I'll sleep a bit and make caps of some of my lots and post all the Pics (some editor pics are better explained with corresponding buildings -why i do stuff like that-)

The great thing is that we can combine all our best ideas and create art
will follow up when I wake up!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 16th Oct 2016 at 10:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Anno2015
after my post I made some printscreens in the editor (not yet the game itself) because I got called to work and just came home = I'll sleep a bit and make caps of some of my lots and post all the Pics (some editor pics are better explained with corresponding buildings -why i do stuff like that-)

The great thing is that we can combine all our best ideas and create art
will follow up when I wake up!

Awake yet? :p
dodgy builder
#10 Old 16th Oct 2016 at 11:52 AM
The way to do this on this site is it to make a social group and then we can post later on the feedback forum if we like. It's no point posting in the feedback forum without even having started yet in my opinion. I just have to get my latest house out before starting caw up.

... on the other hand, we won't break any important rules posting in the feedback forum I guess, and we can delete the thread if we change our mind. We might not need a social group ...
Alchemist
#11 Old 17th Oct 2016 at 11:09 AM
I could be interested, as well. I can do plants and objects (rabbit holes, signs, etc) recolor overrides straight into the world file, terrain paints, build lots (industrial, run-down are my fav), paintings, etc. My work can be seen on my home page, which link is in my signature. Is store content going to be allowed?
dodgy builder
#12 Old 17th Oct 2016 at 11:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by varpunen
I could be interested, as well. I can do plants and objects (rabbit holes, signs, etc) recolor overrides straight into the world file, terrain paints, build lots (industrial, run-down are my fav), paintings, etc. My work can be seen on my home page, which link is in my signature. Is store content going to be allowed?

That could be a very variable world with my clean bugfree approach.
Alchemist
#13 Old 17th Oct 2016 at 4:12 PM
That could be a very variable world with my clean bugfree approach.

I've never had any problems with store content but yeah, I can see your point.
dodgy builder
#14 Old 17th Oct 2016 at 4:55 PM
I've never had any problems with store content but yeah, I can see your point.

I think you misunderstood. I have a thing against bugs like insects, but you probably see the charm in that. That could be a world with modern clean hoods in one end and a favella kind in the other. Could we have a city with favellas and farm areas perhaps?

Could we perhaps make an island or do we have a DT experienced person here.
Alchemist
#15 Old 17th Oct 2016 at 8:13 PM
I think you misunderstood. I have a thing against bugs like insects, but you probably see the charm in that. That could be a world with modern clean hoods in one end and a favella kind in the other. Could we have a city with favellas and farm areas perhaps?

Yep, definitely misunderstood. And no, I'm not really into bugs, not in game or in real life.
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 18th Oct 2016 at 9:14 AM
If you still need help I'd be interested in this project too. You'll find examples of my work in the links in my signature. I am experienced with caw but also building.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 18th Oct 2016 at 2:37 PM Last edited by Anno2015 : 18th Oct 2016 at 2:58 PM.
Awake yet? :p

:S I indeed woke up; by call of work

In between I made some caps of my work and will create a webpage with them on it, give me a couple of days and I'll have them ready, made a lot of screens of lots out of 11 of my 23 active worlds, most of it are testing examples (both possibility as visibility)
to show I'm busy (and as said in my first post.... I can't guanrantee time!! so give me time and I'll deliver, but seen nobody here pays my rent I choose to work irl :P) The world I'm busy with capping at the moment just some shots (made over 2000 screens since I went to sleep...)

World overview shots

Lot Shots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#18 Old 18th Oct 2016 at 10:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Anno2015
:S I indeed woke up; by call of work

In between I made some caps of my work and will create a webpage with them on it, give me a couple of days and I'll have them ready, made a lot of screens of lots out of 11 of my 23 active worlds, most of it are testing examples (both possibility as visibility)
to show I'm busy (and as said in my first post.... I can't guanrantee time!! so give me time and I'll deliver, but seen nobody here pays my rent I choose to work irl :P) The world I'm busy with capping at the moment just some shots (made over 2000 screens since I went to sleep...)

World overview shots

Lot Shots

This looks great!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 18th Oct 2016 at 10:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Vincent T.
If you still need help I'd be interested in this project too. You'll find examples of my work in the links in my signature. I am experienced with caw but also building.

As I said, everyone is welcome! Happy to have you on board!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#20 Old 18th Oct 2016 at 10:37 PM

Happy to have you on board! A more industrial area based on Ambitions would be great, so your expertise is much appreciated! I guess store content is fine as long as the lot will still have a purpose if the downloader doesn't have it and the game removes it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#21 Old 18th Oct 2016 at 10:41 PM

Have you checked out the quick sketch I posted, which I drew in paint? I've imagined an island while drawing it, as that's the sort of world I prefer myself. With an island players are also safe from the glitch where sims spawn outside of the useable area and disappear when traveling home. As you can see in my sketch I've planned for a farming district, and favelas is a great idea!
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 19th Oct 2016 at 5:54 PM Last edited by Anno2015 : 20th Oct 2016 at 7:02 PM.
It's getting busy here! Nice! The more I read the more I think we should already start with a second world to develop, just to make room for different wishes... I Always make room for SportStadia and (military) airports/ports.

I'm thinking we should do a town and rural map; town with different style quaters & entertainment while on the rural map farms, industrial and transportation (to many lots on 1 map makes them slower & higher risk of lots sinking into "blue holes" (to many 2 close 2 eachother and the will dissapear)...

I looked over your map AvalonMcSoley, I think that will do fine, maybe some more landmass filled to the left corner (make (part) of 1 or 2 sides connected to the edge and create mountain border with here and there some room for a road to the rest of the world (outside the map)), in that way we have some more room for lots... I've never had a glitch with that before, but ain't playing that much (I like building way more:S)

Thanx for the (positive) respons to my screens, as said making many more (most of my building is expirimental, if there is some one who likes to decorate = got many buildings this is halfway my development in capability but made almost all you see myself (map and lot) execept some excellent work of others (like a Taj Mahal), recently made some better pieces (I think, but as art is subjective; I've seen some really nice shots from some of the posters here, wouldn't build them myself but still think they are really nice... But in the end it is taste...) I like to make larger buildings, sometimes multilot places (airports, sport, citycenter (with matching library 4 example, one of the pics above around the eiffeltower (right top lots shots1) with an embassy, city center and library).

So if I see Chateau I think: large house, stable building, thee house (with waterfront view in this case), garden (park) and guesthouse. Makes 6 buildings in the same style...
To get a bit from all the above->

Entertainment can be marina's, beaches but also malls, bars, sport, diners etc, made a "resort" space by the farmers. Docks for Ferry or containerships form the coastal area of the industry part. The largest Exclusive part is in a forest with a lake; a perfect spot for a multi lot mansion (can even make a fence around it through the woods). The Farvella's (Poor) as the ancient part I placed on the border of mountains, so you can make a temple higher up looking over the town (like the Acropolis in Athens or the temple of Delphi) and farvella's on plateaus (like in Rio).

I Often make Grid maps; 4 exmaple blocks of 2x2 lots of 64x64 with a road around (or 3x3 lots with a park in the middle).
->

Map with Airport, Fenced Royal Mansion Complex, Egypt (with tomb lots), Waterfalls, Arc Rotunda (same as images above, only capped the left 2 images yet, the rest is in sections to do)
dodgy builder
#23 Old 20th Oct 2016 at 12:22 AM
Have you checked out the quick sketch I posted, which I drew in paint? I've imagined an island while drawing it, as that's the sort of world I prefer myself. With an island players are also safe from the glitch where sims spawn outside of the useable area and disappear when traveling home. As you can see in my sketch I've planned for a farming district, and favelas is a great idea!

I didn't even see that. I probably rush through these pages way too fast.

It's an island, great no dt. Did you think of having an higher ground somewhere?

I will have to read this thread better when I'm on my stationary.
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 20th Oct 2016 at 9:06 AM
You can avoid dt with non passable terrain (water but also mountain or just passable terrain paint) -> if all the edges are colored red in editor problem won't excist. As said I might be wrong on the account I play to little and build to much but that is how I understood it (dt).

you can make connected roads and paint the terrain inpassable for the most realistic view.

Or Am I wrong (if anyone tested it while playing let us know!
dodgy builder
#25 Old 20th Oct 2016 at 11:00 AM Last edited by Volvenom : 21st Oct 2016 at 11:35 AM.
Anno, you should work with taking pictures of your houses from a better angle

I have to make sure the program works on my computer, otherwise it's rather doomed for me.

I forgot the smiley on the first sentence, sorry about that I also think that for me it's no point in subscribing to more than one project at a time. I have too many projects competing for attention, and they won't all fit this hood.

For me I think perhaps Avalon's more organic feel somehow looks more appealing to me. I also had some feedback on my maps about them being too square.

... and Anno I had a look at that more technical thread you referred to earlier, and I remember seeing that one before. That really triggered my creativity. You could perhaps make some more complicated mountain lots or something? I like doing that from time to time. I'm making things for 4 at the moment, not much challenge in that.

What about a waterfall somewhere? I made something like that for Stranda where I had a lake on a lot at the top and made cascading waterfall from that, I had this idea about making a cave behind that waterfall once, but I'm a lazy bugger, and suddenly something else just grabbed my attention.

I was thinking we could use a very big map and have some mountains at the middle of Avalons map?
Page 1 of 2