Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Apr 2017 at 3:09 AM
Default attend "active" skill classes
I was thinking that "active" classes for skills might be a neat idea. IE: instead of attending a class in a rabbit hole, you go to a lot and perform some skill-related activity which is led by an "expert," like a fitness class, cooking class, painting class, etc.

Using Zerbu's Lot Event mod can make the event happen ... but I need suggestions on going about making the "instructor" and making the sims all do the same activity at the same time. I was thinking there must be some way to do it with the University class lecture or lab.

Any coders still check this forum who have any ideas??
Advertisement
Virtual gardener
staff: administrator
#2 Old 4th Apr 2017 at 6:45 PM
I think it's worth checking out the script for those classes from University. I think it's a great idea! Maybe you can somehow manage to tweak it a bit. I do know that scripting with skills could be a pain to script though.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 4th Apr 2017 at 8:05 PM
I hate the university classes, because they never really work well in my game... I think i would try to write a broadcaster that acivates a custom commodity for all Sims in the room or building, and that commodity could be added to different interaction ITUNs.. Commodities are enums, and I have not researched this, but there is a way to add wishes to the wish enum list, maybe there is a way for commodities too..
but like I said, I have not ahve time to look into this, so it is an idea how I would like it to work, I don't know if it is possible yet..
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 5th Apr 2017 at 3:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by KittyTheSnowcat
I hate the university classes, because they never really work well in my game... I think i would try to write a broadcaster that acivates a custom commodity for all Sims in the room or building, and that commodity could be added to different interaction ITUNs.. Commodities are enums, and I have not researched this, but there is a way to add wishes to the wish enum list, maybe there is a way for commodities too..
but like I said, I have not ahve time to look into this, so it is an idea how I would like it to work, I don't know if it is possible yet..

Hm .. well I don't know what that means, either! Haha ... wish there was some place I could read about that!
Field Researcher
#5 Old 5th Apr 2017 at 6:29 AM
Commodities are the things you write into an ITUN like BeInChineseGarden or TraitAthletic which makes Sims want to use the interaction.
http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit...:Sims_3_New_LTW Adding the Enum is the title of the section^^ CommodityKind is a dictionary of enums too, so I thought there might be a similar way.. But like I said I have not really looked into this.. I have another project right now at which I am advancing very slowly.. I might look into it after that, if you haven't already found a way
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 5th Apr 2017 at 9:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by KittyTheSnowcat
Commodities are the things you write into an ITUN like BeInChineseGarden or TraitAthletic which makes Sims want to use the interaction.
http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?tit...:Sims_3_New_LTW Adding the Enum is the title of the section^^ CommodityKind is a dictionary of enums too, so I thought there might be a similar way.. But like I said I have not really looked into this.. I have another project right now at which I am advancing very slowly.. I might look into it after that, if you haven't already found a way

Hm, I haven't made any ITUN mods, I went right into script mods for my first two, haha.

What does this idea have to do with LTWs though? That's what that tutorial was about?
Field Researcher
#7 Old 6th Apr 2017 at 6:10 AM
You need to look into the gamecode for that^^ Both are a dictionary and I since velocitygrass showed how to add a new entry to the LTW one, I was hoping there was a smilar way for CommodityKind
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 6th Jul 2017 at 11:18 PM
Ok so it's summer break for me now and I'm thinking about trying this out again. I briefly looked at that code earlier but I should delve into it a bit more now...
Scholar
#9 Old 7th Jul 2017 at 12:00 PM
Hey, here's a thought!! Why don't you look at the Party codes. You know how sim's throw a party sometimes right? You can make it so NPC Sims will start giving classes once or twice a week and certain inactive sims will always go there like they do when a Sim throws a party!! The player Sim should be able to attend the class by clicking attend instead of being invited like in a party.
Site Helper
#10 Old 7th Jul 2017 at 2:11 PM
You might also look into the ability for a sim to train another sim in athletics or martial arts if the appropriate equipment is there, although you would need to adjust it so that instead of Train it would be Teach Class, and allow you to train more than one student at a time.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 7th Jul 2017 at 3:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by skydome
Hey, here's a thought!! Why don't you look at the Party codes. You know how sim's throw a party sometimes right? You can make it so NPC Sims will start giving classes once or twice a week and certain inactive sims will always go there like they do when a Sim throws a party!! The player Sim should be able to attend the class by clicking attend instead of being invited like in a party.

I didn't think about parties! I was thinking about using Zerbu's Special Event Mod (don't know if you've used/seen that). You basically can have special events happen on a lot at a specified day/time. I've already got it working for the special event (skill class) occurring, which is just a matter of setting up the special event, but I don't know yet how to push them to do specific actions. I was thinking of using the podium somehow because if a Sim is giving a speech/lecture, inactives are automatically drawn to it.

I was thinking about combining it with Arsil's generic role-giving mod and using Register to hire a sim specifically high in a certain skill. Then all I'd have to do is get that person to use the podium somehow.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#12 Old 7th Jul 2017 at 3:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ghost sdoj
You might also look into the ability for a sim to train another sim in athletics or martial arts if the appropriate equipment is there, although you would need to adjust it so that instead of Train it would be Teach Class, and allow you to train more than one student at a time.

I didn't think about that! Also wonder if it could have something to do with the Tutor interaction where people with high logic skill can tutor others. But yes, getting it to happen to more than one person at a time is the difficult thing.
Site Helper
#13 Old 8th Jul 2017 at 3:02 PM
An object might be useful in getting more than one sim involved in the interaction. You can "Invite to Join" multiple sims to things like a hot tub or a game of gnubb. Or even a jam session... you can invite everyone on the lot to a jam session if you want to keep them occupied for a while.

But in order to be really useful, the object would have to be small, portable, and suitable for any environment. Otherwise, you are likely to be bombarded with requests to modify the podium for a futuristic or medieval world, adapt it for a homeschool/boarding school environment, etc.

What about something like a pencil carried in the inventory, with the function "Teach Class in... " and the ability to invite to join any sim whose skill level is still lower than the teacher's? But Tutor just has the teacher lecturing the student. (Which was how I got a sim to level 10 in Kama Simtra while they were still a virgin. She got some serious Tutoring while she was a teen. ) it would also be nice to be able to tutor multiple sims but it seems to me that what you are looking for would be more along the lines of the teacher beginning to use a skill, then inviting other sims to join and have them go to available equipment and begin skill building, possibly with a bonus to the skill rate due to the presence of a teacher.

I suppose you could check out how fairy auras are done, since they add bonuses to skill building.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#14 Old 8th Jul 2017 at 4:29 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Ghost sdoj
An object might be useful in getting more than one sim involved in the interaction. You can "Invite to Join" multiple sims to things like a hot tub or a game of gnubb. Or even a jam session... you can invite everyone on the lot to a jam session if you want to keep them occupied for a while.

But in order to be really useful, the object would have to be small, portable, and suitable for any environment. Otherwise, you are likely to be bombarded with requests to modify the podium for a futuristic or medieval world, adapt it for a homeschool/boarding school environment, etc.

What about something like a pencil carried in the inventory, with the function "Teach Class in... " and the ability to invite to join any sim whose skill level is still lower than the teacher's? But Tutor just has the teacher lecturing the student. (Which was how I got a sim to level 10 in Kama Simtra while they were still a virgin. She got some serious Tutoring while she was a teen. ) it would also be nice to be able to tutor multiple sims but it seems to me that what you are looking for would be more along the lines of the teacher beginning to use a skill, then inviting other sims to join and have them go to available equipment and begin skill building, possibly with a bonus to the skill rate due to the presence of a teacher.

I suppose you could check out how fairy auras are done, since they add bonuses to skill building.

Yeah, those are all great ideas! I don't want to have to "invite" everyone though, I want it to be autonomous for inactives and then the active sim has the option to go or not. That's how it was working with Zerbu's Event Mod. I actually made a gym event room, had it only show up at certain times (If you've never used that mod, it lets you create events that happen at certain times, a lot like the seasonal lot markers - when it's not the time you specify, the items disappear!). People would flock to the gym area and use the equipment autonomously. That's what gave me the idea for a skill class.
Site Helper
#15 Old 9th Jul 2017 at 12:50 PM
I had another thought...

"Tell Ghost Story"

It pushes the interaction to listen to the ghost story on everyone, but the active sim can cancel it. It might be adaptable for your purpose.