Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 3:00 PM
Default Custom Content won't show. :|
I followed the install instructions where you have to download the cfg file and place it into the Sims3 root folder, and create a mod + package folder to place your package file downloads in. After downloading a few things and placing them into the package sub folder, nothing will show up in my game still. What do I do? I've restarted my game and repeated the process above about three times, but nothing is working.

Ashley Lynn
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 3:31 PM
Yes yes, same here ;-) I followed the instructions perfectly, but the patterns don't show '=) the cfg file in \The Sims 3 folder in \Program Files (not in \Documents), and created the Mods\Packages and all... And I know where to look for the patterns as well (fabric, abstract, etc). But they're not there '=(
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 5:22 PM
My problem as well! I started a thread too, so if there are any helping replies I'll notify you guys.

meow.
Scholar
#4 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 5:33 PM
They won't necessarily be marked as custom content, they'll just be in there mixed in with the maxis content.

Creator of the Sparkly Things
In Soviet Russia, the Sims mod you!

ZOMG Patterns! ZOMG! Patterns! the Group!
Awesomeness: When I get sad, I stop being sad and am simply awesome again. True story.
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#5 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 5:40 PM
Indeed, they won't be labeled as Custom Content. Like Gangreless said, they'll be jumbled in with the Maxis. Although I noticed that, in my game, custom content was listed first in it's subcatagory.

Do you folks have vista? I read somewhere that you should not extract to the location, but instead extract elsewhere and copy paste the files. I am not 100% sure if that is true or not, but it's worth a shot.

I'm worried that my latest Salvation Army donation will result in homeless people looking like sluts from the 90s.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 5:53 PM
Default ;|
Quote: Originally posted by Canoodle
Indeed, they won't be labeled as Custom Content. Like Gangreless said, they'll be jumbled in with the Maxis. Although I noticed that, in my game, custom content was listed first in it's subcatagory.

Do you folks have vista? I read somewhere that you should not extract to the location, but instead extract elsewhere and copy paste the files. I am not 100% sure if that is true or not, but it's worth a shot.

Yes, I have vista but I copy and pasted and also extracted just to try both out to see if either works. I went into Documents > EA > Sims 3 not sure if it differs from first going into Program Files (even though EA does not show up in my program files). The only few things I've downloaded are the hacks to take away the blur and also the Z's when sleeping, so I doubt it got mixed up with maxis things.

Ashley Lynn
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#7 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 5:56 PM
No, no, no , no. DO NOT PUT THE .PACKAGE FILES IN MY DOCUMENTS. Read the tutorial again. The packages go in you GAME FILES not your user files.

I think you have game files and program files mixed up. Program files:
Start>my computer>drivethegameisinstalledon>programfiles>electronic arts>Sims3

User files: Mydocuments>ElectronicArts>sims3. Nothing should be put here if installing .package files.

I'm wondering if this is what is causing all the confusion about installing?

I'm worried that my latest Salvation Army donation will result in homeless people looking like sluts from the 90s.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 6:03 PM
No, no, no , no. DO NOT PUT THE .PACKAGE FILES IN MY DOCUMENTS. Read the tutorial again. The packages go in you GAME FILES not your user files.

I think you have game files and program files mixed up. Program files:
Start>my computer>drivethegameisinstalledon>programfiles>electronic arts>Sims3

User files: Mydocuments>ElectronicArts>sims3. Nothing should be put here if installing .package files.

I'm wondering if this is what is causing all the confusion about installing?

OHH. Oh, wow noww it works. Thank so much !

Ashley Lynn
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 8:15 PM

Not my case... I put the .cfg and the .package files in the correct folders (under Program Files, not Documents) and I look for the custom content in the place where the authors said they would be (fabric, abstract, etc) but they don't show '=/
Test Subject
#10 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 8:25 PM
I have a problem with lots that I downloaded not showing up in my game. It is shiwing that it is installed in my game, but where do I go to find it?
Instructor
#11 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 8:54 PM
For me there is an issue with the CC and mods currently available,

There is no clear guidance on what you place where. For example the No Mosiac mod off here, where does it go? Does it go in the same location as the .cfg file?

Does it go in the Mods folder? Or the packages folder?

Same with the awesome hack from MATY where exactly does that go just in the root folder with cfg?

It would be easier if people gave clear instructions, as my game was fine till things started going in the wrong folder!!!
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#12 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 8:57 PM
All the items on MTS have install instructions inconspicuously located on the Install Instructions tab.

bad-and-ugly, are you using subfolders?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#13 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 8:59 PM
pepsi44_99 - They show up in Edit Town under the premade houses bin. You'll have to place them in your neighborhood on an empty lot to use them.

Sidheed, the no mosaic mod tells where to put it in the Install Instructions tab. The Awesomemod has a readme.txt file that should tell you where to put it.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Instructor
#14 Old 7th Jun 2009 at 9:14 PM
It is ok.

The problem is that when some of these mods first went up there was only default TS2 instructions that came with them.

Also some require the .cfg framework and some do not.

I now need to go home to my computer and reinstall TS3 as my original installation is completely up the creak, but through no other person's fault but my own.

I will be more careful with this and try to understand that all the mods are very different and do not all use the framework for the .cfg. Oh well. I was not too attached to my first couple of houses anyway. Now to go and create my new Sim for the challenge to live off the land.

How exciting.
Test Subject
#15 Old 8th Jun 2009 at 12:48 AM
I downloaded the "Sea View" house, but the install instructions are for TS2. In what folder should the houses be placed? Is it supposed to show up on the Edit Map screen or will it just show up in the game? I've played Sims since the beginning, but I swear this is getting too complicated to mess with! I installed Delphy's new mod, that worked fine, but right clicking on the extracted Sea View file gives me no install options. *crys*
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#16 Old 8th Jun 2009 at 12:50 AM
Houses are .sims3pack files. Double-click them. From there, they'll show up under Edit Town, in the premade houses bin, and you can place them on empty lots.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
#17 Old 8th Jun 2009 at 1:03 AM
Thank you! The Launcher *evil* started and I was able to install the lot...now we'll see if it shows up.
Lab Assistant
#18 Old 8th Jun 2009 at 4:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by whiterider
All the items on MTS have install instructions inconspicuously located on the Install Instructions tab.

bad-and-ugly, are you using subfolders?

No, I'm not using subfolders. But there's an updated cfg that allows that now, right? '=)
Scholar
#19 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 3:51 PM
I've got the same issue. I did the correct installation and checked and everything is where it should be. I did get one pattern to show up in the game. But the others I've downloaded do not show up. I even toggled under the design screen to check for custom content only under each category--still no go. And the pattens that should be in the game simply are not. I'm running the 32-bit Vista and did the copy -paste method of getting the files into the correct folder. Like I said, I am sure everything is in the correct place because I did get one CC pattern to show properly.

EDIT: To clarify, I am manually installing CC and not using the new program by Delphy because I don't know if my Vista OS, as is currently set, will let Delphy's program work the way it's mean to. And my problem pertains only to CC Patterns. Houses, sims, all else shows up fine.

P.S: Canoodle, what the heck is your Avatar? It's scaring me!
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#20 Old 9th Jun 2009 at 6:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by summersong86
P.S: Canoodle, what the heck is your Avatar? It's scaring me!

Why, it's a plaid cowplant! Sort of an inside joke. I need to be changing that one of these days.

Are you 'sure' the patterns aren't there? They do get jumbled in with the EA content. They no longer bear the custom content star of shame. ( It's not that I don't believe you..I just have to ask)

Lab Assistant
#21 Old 13th Jun 2009 at 4:30 PM
Actually, the game does give a sign of present custom content: the Abstract section doen't load anymore '=/
Coffee, anyone?
retired moderator
#22 Old 13th Jun 2009 at 4:39 PM
Bad-and-ugly: if you remove your patterns, does the Abstract section come back? If it does, you'll have to find out which file is breaking your game.

Test Subject
#23 Old 13th Jun 2009 at 5:05 PM
Default same thing here with skins!
hi! i have the same problem as well. I wanted Hysterical's skins so badly. and i followed the instructions to the letter. it's under programfiles, Mods/Packages. Could it just be that my system doesn't support it? =(
Scholar
#24 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 1:25 PM
bad-and-ugly. I have a few bits of cc in my game and it shows fine. I'm not sure what you mean by the abstracts folder doesn't show when you have cc. This shouldn't be the case, I actually have a few cc patterns in that abstract folder and it works fine. Have you tried clicking the star symbol that says show cc only?

If your abstract section isn't showing, you have another issue entirely, you've done something wrong